About independent shows

I'm currently playing a sandbox game where I'm the only promotion around; I want to see the best matchups possible. I'm in May of 2000 and I have noticed that several fighters haven't fought on the indy circuit thus far.

The most prominent examples are Fezzik and Hughes whom I lost to contract disputes in the beginning when I wasn't familiar with the system. I understand that no indy show might be able to fork over the cash for these two but what's really bugging me is that guys like Franklyn, Ivanov, Ya Konan and Soldo haven't fought so far either. I even read about a 0-0 guy who hasn't seen any competition in 18 months. I know I could just sign these guys and give them matches but I don't want my roster to become that big. Adam, could you tell me what is going on here? Right now, I'm probably gonna have to start a feeder org because I don't trust the indy system to provide the young guns with experience any more.

There are a limited number of indy shows, I think it's 1 per region per month assuming there is talent available and they will only use relatively low level talent. I can't remember what the maximum is, but I suspect the highest level of popularity that will fight on an indy show is something around mid level regional.

But seriously, if you aren't going to have any more promotions in the game then you have to expect massive unemployment. The indy shows are there to help build up low leve guys so that a promotion might sign them... they AREN'T there to simulate the entire game world outside your promotion. That's an error from you in misunderstanding what they are there to accomplish.

Adam, could you tell me what is going on here?

Certainly - you've created an unrealistic scenario and so are getting unrealistic effects.

If you've only got one promotion then there shouldn't be many unemployed fighters - logically a small industry doesn't have a large array of talent for the simple reason that it can't support it. From the sound of it, you've left the database as it is, so you've likely got hundreds of fighters sitting around out of work.

The independent scene feature is designed to "mop up" the stragglers, the guys who are out of work and need a boost, it isn't designed to service a huge amount of unemployed workers as a "feeder league". There should be smaller promotions to fill that need.

Just a note that in my normal world with 9 promotions now there are dozens of fighters who have gone 2 years without an independent fight.

As with any fairly random chance, some people will get picked twice before some get picked at all. With somewhere in the region of 10 weight classes active and each region only getting one fight per month, there is a limit on how many chances a fighter will get to fight. If they miss a window once then it could be several months before another one opens up. Or it could be a couple of months. Chance isn't fair.

Certainly - you've created an unrealistic scenario and so are getting unrealistic effects.

If you've only got one promotion then there shouldn't be many unemployed fighters - logically a small industry doesn't have a large array of talent for the simple reason that it can't support it. From the sound of it, you've left the database as it is, so you've likely got hundreds of fighters sitting around out of work.

The independent scene feature is designed to "mop up" the stragglers, the guys who are out of work and need a boost, it isn't designed to service a huge amount of unemployed workers as a "feeder league". There should be smaller promotions to fill that need.

Sorry, I didn't mean that as criticism, I made the wrong assumptions about the indy scene then. Just found it odd that some guys got matches pretty regularly and some didn't get any at all. Thanks for clearing it up, I'll just start a few feeder leagues.

Archived