Board effort towards a fictional universe...

i.e crayon said the M3 render looked natural. Is that to say it looks like everyone elses models, or just that it looks good compared to the other posted renders.

What I meant is that in comparison to the other three renders it was the most "naturalistic" looking skin. Whether it be due to the textures, lighting, or what. Say in comparison to the M4 which looked much more plastic due to the specularity.

Speaking of that specularity, I had a quick search on daz settings, just to see what was possible, and it looks like you can switch settings for textures about a bit. So I'm definitely leaning towards that being the issue here

A quick look at messing with Specularity in DAZ

I'm not sure where abouts in the application you would need to go, but my advice would be to go into your M3 settings (related to textures or materials or whatever), and compare them to your other model's settings.

It may also explain why your homemade textures look pale and washed out, as Trell put it. Because if you're applying a texture without any extra information going towards bump-mapping, specularity, etc. it will come out looking more flat than others (unless you've got some really amazing textures).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tips. I'll do some research on it and figure it out :)

What I meant is that in comparison to the other three renders it was the most "naturalistic" looking skin. Whether it be due to the textures, lighting, or what. Say in comparison to the M4 which looked much more plastic due to the specularity.

Speaking of that specularity, I had a quick search on daz settings, just to see what was possible, and it looks like you can switch settings for textures about a bit. So I'm definitely leaning towards that being the issue here

A quick look at messing with Specularity in DAZ

I'm not sure where abouts in the application you would need to go, but my advice would be to go into your M3 settings (related to textures or materials or whatever), and compare them to your other model's settings.

It may also explain why your homemade textures look pale and washed out, as Trell put it. Because if you're applying a texture without any extra information going towards bump-mapping, specularity, etc. it will come out looking more flat than others (unless you've got some really amazing textures).

I also just came across this

For some reason DAZ automatically loads figures with their skin settings on "Plastic", resulting in the careless user rendering oddly shiny dolls.

Not sure if that's an issue which is still prevalent in the version you're using, but this link supposedly has a dl which will automatically set everything marked as skin back to a skin setting in a couple of clicks. No idea how good those settings are compared to the ones Trell, Machine, etc use though

Thought I would post a couple of more bios:

I based this first guy on JBL, so I see him looking something like that with a suit and tie and a cowboy hat on:

James D. Watkins came to fame in the wrestling world as one half of the popular tag team The Texas Wranglers. He and his partner Rhett Wilson were two of the most feared men in the ring. Promoters would often use them to work very stiff aginst opponents who the promoters were punishing. As part of The Texas Wranglers, James found success holding various tag team titles throughout the United States.

When Douglas Bailey was forming the original roster of the TWA, in 1997, he called up both James and Rhett and singed them right away. In fact they were the first TWA Tag Team Champions. Following Rhett’s retirement, in 2008, James started a new gimmick. His new gimmick is that of a rich oil tycoon who is trying to buy his way to the TWA World Title. With this gimmick change came a name change to J.D. Watkins and he is now enjoying success in the singles ranks for the first time in his career.

This guy I see looking something like the Grand Wizard (from the WWWF days) or Prof. Nero from the C-Verse:

Hilton Rosen is better known to wrestling fans as Lefty Gordon. Hilton started out in professional wrestling in the 1970’s as a wrestler. Hilton quickly found out that he was a much better talker then he was a wrestler and he decided to give up wrestling and try out managing. He quickly became a success as a manager and he became the man that fans loved to hate.

After having worked as a manager in nearly all of the major promotions in North America, Hilton decided to call it quits in 1993. He was finally talked out of retirement by his good friend Douglas Bailey, who at the time was putting together the roster for TWA. For the first two years of the company he served as the main color commentator. He left that role to become the manager/mouthpiece for Death Machine as a way of getting Death Machine over as a heel. In 2003 he along with Magnum, Revolver, Tully Bishop and Death Machine formed the TWA’s elite heel stable known as Murder Inc.

And finally, any fans of the Television show the Wire know who this is based on. I see him looking like New Jack from ECW:

Omar Little is known to the wrestling fans as "The Hardcore Icon" Omar Little. Born and raised in Oakland, California Omar became interested in wrestling at a very early age. And when he was old enough to train at a wrestling school, he did. He soon started to wrestle for the Brutal Wrestling Association where he went on to earn his nickname "The Hardcore Icon" due his many brutal matches he had while wrestling for the old BWA. When the old BWA closed in 2005, Omar all but left the wrestling business (he did wrestle on an occasional independent show) to pursue a rap career.

Omar found little success as a rapper and in 2009, he shocked the wrestling world when he attacked C.O.P. during a match for the BWA leaving C.O.P. a bloody mess. Omar then proceeded to announce that he was on a crusade to make the new BWA more like the old BWA and anybody that got in his way would be dealt with in a hardcore manner.

Omar Little is known to the wrestling fans as "The HardGay Icon" Omar Little. Born and raised in Oakland, California Omar became interested in wrestling at a very early age. And when he was old enough to train at a wrestling school, he did. He soon started to wrestle for the Brutal Wrestling Association where he went on to earn his nickname "The Hardcore Icon" due his many brutal matches he had while wrestling for the old BWA. When the old BWA closed in 2005, Omar all but left the wrestling business (he did wrestle on an occasional independent show) to pursue a rap career.

Omar found little success as a rapper and in 2009, he shocked the wrestling world when he attacked C.O.P. during a match for the BWA leaving C.O.P. a bloody mess. Omar then proceeded to announce that he was on a crusade to make the new BWA more like the old BWA and anybody that got in his way would be dealt with in a hardcore manner.

Fixed.

"The HardGay Icon"

He is not based that much on Omar!:D

Also, I was wondering if anybody who does renders would be able to create a render of a guy with the Flock of Seagulls haircut as seen below. The third guy from the left is what I am looking for:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/A_Flock_of_Seagulls.JPG

So I just read that Eric Young is the leader of a new heel stable in TNA called The World Elite where he berates Americans. Well in this mod I have a heel stable called American Elite and they berate Canadians (They work for a company based in Canada). My point being that I had the idea first and TNA took it from me!:D Should I sue them? (This is a joke about suing them but it was my idea first)

So I just read that Eric Young is the leader of a new heel stable in TNA called The World Elite where he berates Americans. Well in this mod I have a heel stable called American Elite and they berate Canadians (They work for a company based in Canada). My point being that I had the idea first and TNA took it from me!:D Should I sue them? (This is a joke about suing them but it was my idea first)

Side note: This is one of the more sneakily amusing stories I've heard in a while. :D

P.S. I'm learning a lot about DAZ that I didn't really know before thanks to crayons links. I'll probably pull the other renders I've done and do replacements for them, but over time so the others can remain as place holders unless someone else wants to fill them in. Was planning on starting on some of the other renderless workers, but since render consistency was my idea I'm not going to be the person to break it. ^_^

So I haven't really been too involved with this but your call to Meixco interested me. I'm not sure exactly what you need but I could come up with characters and promotions I'm a huge fan of lucha.

That's exactly what's needed. ^_^

I posted the data a page or so up (alhough BHK has added 40ish characters since then) so you can check out the data to get a good idea of where we're at. :)

(alhough BHK has added 40ish characters since then)

I will be honest most of them are from personal mods that were made for the 2007 game. I just tweaked them for this mod.

Also Kobe, if he is not being used yet I would like this render to be assigned to my character Older Than Dirt:

Well I see the picture did not show up so he is community render 10 in the database.

I'd love to throw down on some Mexico. I'll d/l the data and take a gander and start coming up with some stuff.

Some questions I've been keeping an eye on the thread but last I read Mexico was supposed to be sort of a dying waste land for lack of a better term? Nobody above regional? Is this still the case just trying to get a feel for the number and size of the promotions.

Stennick,

I think that was when we were just throwing stuff out there to see what everybody thought. You are doing the region yourself (which is awsome) and I think you should be able to decided what it will look like. Just my opinion on the situation if others want to chime in by all means do so.

I'd love to throw down on some Mexico. I'll d/l the data and take a gander and start coming up with some stuff.

Some questions I've been keeping an eye on the thread but last I read Mexico was supposed to be sort of a dying waste land for lack of a better term? Nobody above regional? Is this still the case just trying to get a feel for the number and size of the promotions.

Basically, since you are the one starting the region feel free to make whatever sort of promotion you like. The idea to make Mexico a wasteland was based on the premise that no one was making promotions there.

Here are the first 2 wrestlers (along with Sean Anderson and Zack Richard Arnold) that will help make up some of my roster.

Main Event

Shamus the Sorcerer

Short Name: Shamus

Race: White Nationality: Irish Based: UK Status: Active Wrestler Style: Brawler Size: Heavyweight

Face and Heel Gimmick: Mystical Sorcerer (A wrestler that uses sub normal powers to control over other wrestlers and officials sometimes to their advantage or sometimes to help others.)- Better as a heel gimmick though.

Description: Shamus is quite stockily built and does look like he has been on the roids as he is looking for that edge that will get him into a bigger company. Fire red hair and a big bushy beard.

Date of Debut: June 1994

Bio: Shamus the Sorcerer (Born February 27th, 1980) is an Irish brawler best known for his work in the FLI (Fight Like Irishmen) promotion where he is a 4 time Irish Heavyweight Champion and one of the most dominant heels in the promotion. Over the years Shamus has grown considerably from the Middleweight he started as to a stockily built heavyweight; some believe due to an addiction to steroids. Shamus has made his intentions quite clear on numerous occasions that he has no intention to be at FLI but it is only due to the fact no other company at present wants him that he is still there. Known for his finisher “The Spell” which is a variation of a Double Powerbomb which has injured numerous opponents (He claims by accident) Shamus has developed the nickname of “The Career Killer” by various Reporters due to his clearly, unstable safety in the ring.

Kenny Riley

Race: Black Nationality: English Based: UK Status: Active Wrestler Style: MMA Crossover Size: Middleweight

Face Gimmick: MMA Bad Ass Heel Gimmick: Dual Sport Superstar

Description: Black, bold headed guy, the face should show like no emotion just a glare at you as you look at it. No stubble although he does have a small scar around the right side of his mouth if anyone is capable of just getting that minor detail in.

Date of Debut: December 2008

Bio: “The Pride of Britain” Kenny Riley (Born September 4th, 1982) is a English former Boxer turned Mixed Martial Artist now turned Wrestler. To put it simple; he loves to fight. A champion at all levels of sport he has competed in he is most well known nationally for boxing on mainstream TV for a number of years before turning his arm to try MMA (winning 4 fights and losing 2). While Riley doesn’t have as good in ring skills as 90% of the roster he would be on he does have a hell of a lot of charisma, star quality and just that “It Factor” that has already taken him to the top of the FLI ranks after winning his first title in March 2009 when he knocked out Shamus the Sorcerer in a last man standing match for the title. Kenny has all the chances he needs it’s just a question whether or not he will take them.

Its been a while but I've been out a lot enjoying my well needed holidays from school and a lot of different things and didn't get a lot of time to create workers but still I have 3 bios right now for FLI in the case of another tag team and a singles wrestler which takes the current total to 7 out of the 16 I'm planning (plus 4 female workers, referee, commentators and road agent I think I'll be at about 24 in the fed overall)

MC Chipper

Race: White Nationality: English Based: UK Status: Active Wrestler Style: Brawler Size: Lightweight

Face Gimmick: Comedy Rapper (gimmick may need to be created)Heel Gimmick: Unskilled Rapper (I'm thinking a ****y, arrogant guy that thinks he can rap when he can't, he's primarily heel)

Description: The render I'm hoping for a skinny, white guy dressed in a white tracksuit top and gold chains and wearing a baseball cap. Otherwise don't really mind. He's basically what we in the UK call a chav.

Date of Debut: December 2006

Bio: MC Chipper (Real name Charles Alan Prosser and born July 29th 1986 ) is a English wrestler best known for the comedy rap gimmick he uses with tag parter Flex Et as the West End Rude Boyz. Chipper and Flex were both trained by Steve Smith at the Grapple Iron Wrestling Academy and made their debut in 2006. Although not anywhere near competent wrestlers and quite a joke in the ring, the entertainment value from these two is what is attracting bookings for themselves.

Flex Et

Race: White Nationality: English Based: UK Status: Active Wrestler Style: Brawler Size: Lightweight

Face Gimmick: Comedy Rapper (gimmick may need to be created)Heel Gimmick: Unskilled Rapper (I'm thinking a ****y, arrogant guy that thinks he can rap when he can't, he's primarily heel)

Description: The render I'm hoping for is again like MC Chipper with the chains and the tracksuit.

Date of Debut: December 2006

Bio: Flex Et (Real name Freddie Wainwright and born August 2nd 1987 ) is a English wrestler best known for the comedy rap gimmick he uses with tag parter MC Chipper as the West End Rude Boyz. Chipper and Flex were both trained by Steve Smith at the Grapple Iron Wrestling Academy and made their debut in 2006. While Flex Et is seen as the better of the two wrestlers, there is still a lot to be desired when it comes to his in ring ability. It's his charisma in the ring along with Chipper that primarily gets them bookings.

(I'm hoping to get a Alt render for these 2 without the chav outfits as well as alter egos with their real names too)

Rodrigo Zago

Race: Hispanic Nationality: Braziian Based: UK Status: Active Wrestler Style: Spot Monkey Size: Lightweight

Face Gimmick: Like a cool dude type of gimmick Heel Gimmick: Again I'm thinking a Prima Donna gimmick

Description: Over in the UK we have the current Big Brother happening and this is where I got the idea for Rodrigo's look. I'm thinking quite tanned with brown, wavy hair and a cute smile for the poser.

Debut: Feb 2002

Bio: Rodrigo Zago (April 8th 1982) is a Brazilian born wrestler now based in the UK famed for his flamboyant style and extravagant move set. Zago is the pioneer of the 630 Corkscrew Splash which is a commonly used clip on various highlight reel packages. After wrestling for a number of years in South America Zago moved over to Britain in 2006 to live with his girlfriend and Model Giselle Vernan. It was while in the UK that Zago began to pick up touring offers from Fight Like Irishman and in 2007 started to work for them being a mainstay ever since.

(His areal and flashiness stats need to be high as well as star quality and sex appeal. Nothing else really matters apart from that)

Also would anyone know if Shamus and Kenny's posers have been done yet?

Sorry for all the questions. I got my first two promotions done and I've started working on actual workers and things like that. What I'm wondering is if there is one guy putting all the data together or if i can throw the data in and then upload my data and have someone merge it with theirs? Or should I just post everything on here? Seems easier to throw it in the game seems only fair if its my creations I should be doing as much work as possible for them so others can work on their guys.

Sorry for all the questions. I got my first two promotions done and I've started working on actual workers and things like that. What I'm wondering is if there is one guy putting all the data together or if i can throw the data in and then upload my data and have someone merge it with theirs? Or should I just post everything on here? Seems easier to throw it in the game seems only fair if its my creations I should be doing as much work as possible for them so others can work on their guys.

Thanks for the bios Sean.

Stennick, we have been passing the data around and allowing people to add to it as they like. BHK has the data right now but when you are ready to make some additions to it then just ask him for it. ^_^

Sean Thomas Jolly,

I have really enjoyed playing with FLI in the database! I love the characters some of my English and Irish wrestlers that I have based in the U.S. always end up there (it is because they are able to work the UK as well) and they do not fit the roster but it is still fun to see them over there.

Ok so I don't need anyone to plug this into the data but I've been playing around with Mexico and I sort of want to make it fun. I'm hoping to have two national promotions.....if thats too big I'll make them both cult. The idea is their at massive war with one another. With two or three smaller promotions picking up the droppings of the bigger two so to speak. Since I've never really sat down to make a biography on a wrestling promotion no one has ever heard of before I gave it a crack earlier. If its missing something, too long, too short. Any and all questions, comments and complaints are welcome. Anyway here goes.

GLLM

El Gran Heroe (The Great Hero) was at the time the largest wrestling star in Mexico. El Gran Heroe previously worked for “Mexico City Lucha Libre” who were the largest (yet still very small by today’s standards) promotion in Mexico. After helping to send his former boss to jail it left Mexico with a large void in Lucha Libre. After months of speculation on who if anyone would save the dying sport of lucha libre El Gran Heroe debuted “La Gran Liga de Lucha de Mundo” or “The Great Wrestling League”. El Gran Heroe debuted this new promotion in the heart of Mexico City during a three day outdoor festival in 1932. Over a three day festival he gave the fans unprecedented access to Mexico’s biggest stars by throwing a Wrestling Festival in the heart of Mexico City. Attendance records were broken, wrestler payouts climbed to previously unheard of numbers. As a result GLLM easily moved MCLL out of the way and became the largest pro wrestling company in Mexico.

Every year GLLM still produces the same three day wrestling festival which they refer to simply as “Lucha Libre Fiesta” or “Wrestle Fest. GMLL still has many of the same values and rules it did when El Gran Heroe opened it in 1932. There is no blood broadcast on television, and it considers its self a family show with wrong vs. right, good vs. evil, simple story telling and lots of fan interaction. In the last few decades GLLM’s fan base has been divided in half thanks to MPWA opening their doors. Both promotion’s still sell out however merchandise and t.v ratings seem to be cut right down the middle due to the war.

El Gran Heroe

El Gran Heroe was born to a poor family in the outskirts of Mexico City in 1902. He became world class athlete and power lifter in Mexico City before he was even 16 years of age. In 1920 because of his fame and size he was finally talked into training to become a pro wrestler. He caught on quickly with his amateur background becoming a huge sensation throughout Mexico City in the 1920’s. After a bitter argument with the owner of then MCLL (Mexico City Lucha Libre). He walked out before the start of a large show. The owner then ordered to have El Gran Heroe’s legs broken as punishment. Instead El Gran Heroe disposed of the thugs and helped land the owner in jail as a result. With the owner of the largest promotion in Mexico now in jail fans and wrestlers alike feared the worst. Within a months time El Gran Heroe debuted the world to the newest Mexican wrestling promotion. GLLM with him as the owner. El Gran Heroe personally over saw day to day activivites of the promotion until his death in 1986 at the age of 84. His funeral was more broadcast, more covered than some former presidents of Mexico have received.

MPWA

Or Mexico Pro Wrestling Alliance as its reffered to. Michael chose to keep the name in English. He does this to blur the lines between American wreslting and Mexican Wrestling. MPWA is heavily influeced by American wrestling with the more dramatic, edgy stories. Although just like in American wrestling his workers do a lot of talking the pay per view specials are almost all pure wrestling with little talking.

Michael Rodriguez debuted MPWA on television in 1981. Its said that it cost him more to put that first show on the air than it did to run the promotion for the next year. After greasing several palms and convincing a major television company to put MPWA on the air as a special wrestling promotion. Fans tuned in shocked to see some of the biggest names in all of GMLL competing on this new promotion MPWA. Presenting a more modern, edgier version of pro wrestling MPWA has taken the younger demographic away from GMLL and are seemingly locked in a tie for top wrestling promotion in Mexico.

Michael Rodriguez

Michael Rodriguez was born in Mexico and then raised in the United States. After becoming a successful business man in the United States creating and then selling a famous sports apparel company. After the sale of his company Michael became home sick as it were. Being a huge wrestling fan in the United States Michael was put off by the form of wrestling in his home country. Feeling GLLM was too outdated, too boring, too conservative he began making moves to start up a more modern wrestling company. In 1982 Michael was able to lure away some of GMLL’s top stars by TRIPLING their salary. With some of GMLL’s top stars Michael set out to produce a more edgy, modern wrestling company. Today the fans still seem to be split between these two large Mexican powerhouse companies. Many within Mexico's inner circles claim Michael is not only one of the richest men in Mexico....he's one of the most feared.

I figured I needed to flesh out these promotions and atleast a handful of characters that shaped their world before I worked on developing the prodcuts and things of that nature. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

That sounds great Stennick! Thank you for taking on Mexico!

I was coming on here to add another promotion located in Hawaii called Federal Wrestling Council Hawaii or FWC: Hawaii. This promotion will be using a product known as American Joshi which was created by Remianen (with Remianen permission of course) you can view the product right here http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25269.

This promotion is going to be apart of the Federal Wrestling Council which will be this mods version of the NWA. I was thinking about putting another FWC in Florida.

The FWC lost the promotions wars with the US-A back in the 1980's and now is a shell of its former self. The couple of promotions that still belong to it belong to it in name only and the only thing that really keeps them connected is that they share talent.

And once again if anybody wants to create wrestlers for this promotion just post them here or PM me with a bio and I will add them in.

Archived