Am I being dumb?

Hey all, Just a quick question, after reading through the FAQ I don't quite understand how this will work? Is it like a wrestling game like the Smackdown PS2 series where you press buttons to do moves, or as I read "text based" so you'll type in the moves you want to do? With the graphics mimicing what you type? Sorry if this is so simple and I've mis-read or not read something, I'm a little tired from a long shift. This should be interesting. Rock on!

The moves available to you at any point in time are shown in a list, and you select from that with a mouse click. The person you are fighting then does the same, except that his list would include potential counters relevant to the selection you made. The result of the move (did you hit it, did he counter, etc) is then shown on screen, and the process repeats. It's a strategy game, unlike the Smackdown series which is arcade style. The best example i can think of is mat wrestling - in Smackdown, when someone is on the floor, you can pretty much hit one move only, and then they stand up. In FiSpi, with the right character, you can keep someone grounded for minutes at a time, mercilessly working over their legs or arms while they deperately try to find a way out.

Guest TAFKA cjt4ever
Wow, that is going to be interesting indeed. I can swear there was a game like that which was on the computer aswell. But this game will be way better for sure.

There used to be a lot of games like this, like Rampage Wrestling (which i loved), but they were all made in the early 1990's, and are pretty basic by today's standards. One of the reasons i decided on this style of game was these earlier titles - if they were a lot of fun to play back in 1991 when they were very simple games, then applying the same style of game but with modern graphics and techniques should make something that's even better. I think i've acheived that, but you can be the judge of that in a few months :)

One quickie for you Adam if you dont mind me asking, is the only way to get over is to win? Like does the game take account how good a match it is? Or how exciting it is? Perhaps how big the crowd are into it? Will there be a difference between a Wrestlemania(I know, I know, its not going to be in a real universe, just cant think of the equivlent in TEW right now) mainevent and a opener? Will the user be able to tell by just playing it, or will it be more make believe?

[QUOTE=Unregistered]One quickie for you Adam if you dont mind me asking, is the only way to get over is to win? Like does the game take account how good a match it is? Or how exciting it is? Perhaps how big the crowd are into it?[/QUOTE] Winning is the main way to get over - in that sense, it's kinda like boxing, where you make a name for yourself by beating people better than you. You can also gain overness through interviews. Putting on a really high quality match will also help gain overness (and if you are given a try out match with a major organisation, whether you get offered a contract will depend a lot on the quality of your bout), but not to the extent that defeating a better opponent would. It's based on reality - putting on super matches will help get you over, but it's not a guarantee of success. [QUOTE=Unregistered]Will there be a difference between a Wrestlemania(I know, I know, its not going to be in a real universe, just cant think of the equivlent in TEW right now) mainevent and a opener? Will the user be able to tell by just playing it, or will it be more make believe?[/QUOTE] One difference is the quality of your opponent. If you're fighting at an opener level, you'll (by default) almost always be facing guys who, like you, aren't over, so the potential for getting yourself over is less. Whereas if you're fighting main event level matches, you have the chance to really get a big boost (or drop!) in overness by taking on a legend \ legend killer. The second, and most important difference - like real life - is the money. If you're main eventing shows, you get paid much more than the guy who wrestled the opener. And as a large part of the game is based on a wrestler's real life - having to pay bills and other financial decisions - being near the top of the card is obviously a lot more desirable than opening. Oh, and also, most people main eventing will be better fighters than lower down the card, so generally (although there are exceptions) main event matches go longer than openers, so there's a different feel to them. With short 10 minute matches, you're really looking to beat down the opponent and finish him. With main event matches, there's a much bigger element of strategy involved, picking a body part and working it for example.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland]Winning is the main way to get over - in that sense, it's kinda like boxing, where you make a name for yourself by beating people better than you. You can also gain overness through interviews. Putting on a really high quality match will also help gain overness (and if you are given a try out match with a major organisation, whether you get offered a contract will depend a lot on the quality of your bout), but not to the extent that defeating a better opponent would. It's based on reality - putting on super matches will help get you over, but it's not a guarantee of success. One difference is the quality of your opponent. If you're fighting at an opener level, you'll (by default) almost always be facing guys who, like you, aren't over, so the potential for getting yourself over is less. Whereas if you're fighting main event level matches, you have the chance to really get a big boost (or drop!) in overness by taking on a legend \ legend killer. The second, and most important difference - like real life - is the money. If you're main eventing shows, you get paid much more than the guy who wrestled the opener. And as a large part of the game is based on a wrestler's real life - having to pay bills and other financial decisions - being near the top of the card is obviously a lot more desirable than opening. Oh, and also, most people main eventing will be better fighters than lower down the card, so generally (although there are exceptions) main event matches go longer than openers, so there's a different feel to them. With short 10 minute matches, you're really looking to beat down the opponent and finish him. With main event matches, there's a much bigger element of strategy involved, picking a body part and working it for example.[/QUOTE] Glad to hear all that man. I was just hoping you werent going too old school, in that you only got over by beating your opponent. I really look forward to seeing how all of this is going to work. Any chance you will be doing interviews anytime soon? ;)

I played WA! for about 3 years but trust me FiSpi is alot better, WA!'s depth was basically the online bit but with FiSpi theres tons more to it. Just the match part blows WA away and then on top of this theres more like Adam has said! Dean

[QUOTE=Alcohol Fueled]It sorta reminds me of the old online wrestling card game called "With Authority!" Only you could build your own decks....and only had a choice of certain moves that got drawn, at the time. So it was more or less luck of the draw, getting the counters for certain moves and things.[/QUOTE] Yeah - I was just thinking that. I enjoyed With Authority. This game does sound very interesting and I'm intrigued to look further into it. Will be good to see some screenshots, look forward to them. Rock on!

Archived