Need Info on UWF Japan

Does anyone have much knowledge on the original UWF Japan "worked-shoot" (whatever that is) promotion that ran from about 1984 to 1990? I need to know who founded the company, who booked it, did they have a regular Japan touring schedule, etc.

Also, what stats would you give the company in the "Product" department and what is the difference between "realism" and "hyper realism?"

The original UWF ran from 1984-1985. It was founded by Akira Maeda and Satoru Sayama (Tiger Mask). It only lasted a few months given that their business dealings were dodgy as hell, their President was arrested for business dealings gone bad with the Yakuza, and they swindled money from sponsors and broke promises, not to forget the shoot between Maeda/Sayama which was a pretty **** shoot, and caused the promotion to implode in on themselves.

UWF #2 started in 1989 - 1990, and lead to the four way split which formed PANCRASE, UWF-i, RINGS and later Fujiwara-gumi.

The original UWF was all about pro-wrestling as a fighting contact sport. It would have very high realism and high hyper realism (possibly the highest on both).

I always imagine UWFi as the definition of Hyper Realism. Im not sure what else I'd give them honestly...some pure as alot of their matches Ive seen have alot of focus on mat work, possibly even just a wee bit of realism as there was the occasional big takedown that went just a wee bit beyond Hyper Realism.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived