Post-Modern Wrestling Nonsense

I can't say I stumbled into the job by accident so much as it was luck. I vaguely knew of Jack Avatar as a guy who took film courses with me at Temple. I didn't realize the dude was a professional wrestler. That he was didn't bother me. I've always been a wrestling fan. That he was trying to start his own promotion was kind of amusing to me. I'd never really seen behind the curtain, broken the fourth wall, or whatever euphemism you want to use. I just saw it as a bunch of big guys yelling a lot and then groping each other in a way that was just enough beyond homoerotic that I wouldn't feel weird watching it. So when he introduced me to the world of indy wrestling, I was blown away. Gone were the eight-foot monsters, instead replaced by five-foot goofballs, freaks, and fanatics.

I had initially thought of training but I'm not athletic. I'm artistic. Big difference between the two. So when he said he needed help setting up the promotional aspects of the company he was starting, I jumped at the opportunity. What am I gonna do with a film degree anyway, work at Starbucks? I ended up as President of Creative Media which is a fancy way of saying I did the promotion for the company -- the website, advertising, and what not.

But what exactly was his idea? He didn't have one. He wanted to do something fun and different. The American indy wrestling landscape was far too serious. In the Tristate alone, you had PSW which was like a horror movie come to life, and NYCW which didn't do much other than function as a reminder of why wrestling hadn't completely progressed beyond the snail pace of yesterday. Being on the east coast, Avatar rarely got the chance to work shows for CZCW so I was relegated to mostly seeing him perform for the previous two. And he wasn't fond of the experiences, instead wanting to pursue something slightly more out there.

As a response, we decided to brainstorm what would be fun -- not SWF fun, which functioned more as a tribute to the wacked out eccentricities of the Eisen family, but fun in a goofy way. Like Monty Python or Bruce Campbell. Take the joy of a B movie and inject it into professional wrestling. A lot like WLW, based out of Japan, which we were both big fans of.

It was with that that Post-Modern Wrestling Nonsense was born -- at the same time serious and silly; high concept and low brow; pretentious and down-to-earth. We would both embrace wrestling's cliches and mock the hell out of them. And why not? It's not like we had anything better to do with our time.

Of course, the question then becomes how does one fund a wrestling show based entirely around nonsense?

Archived