Downloadable Games - Steam vs. D2D: Which do you prefer & why?

Actarus

I've used both.

Steam works best for straight up games you don't plan to modify. D2D is good for games you do plan to modify or those with lots of unique user customizable files (like ini files, hotkeys, etc).

I switched to Steam after a recent catastrophic loss of 10 years worth of games and data (due to an incompetent "technician" who didn't know how to work on a high-end gaming PC) and Steam would've made at least the games salvageable. But, I don't like their DRM scheme and their anti-hacking code (since it's not perfect) so the only thing I purchase from them is older games (Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines most recently).

I use them both and will probably continue to do so. However, losing it all has taught me to always have a backup. So when I DL something from D2D, I send it to my cloud for safekeeping. Steam also doesn't have everything I might want (their MMO selection is still really weak) so I lean toward D2D for that as well.

Guest neilmorrison1981

Of the two, I only use Steam as D2D seems to think that £1 = $1, and so the games are actually more expensive than even retail.

However, I do have a soft spot for GamersGate - better than either, IMO.

Guest neilmorrison1981

D2D is way too expensive, IMO as they seem to think that £1 = $1, so anything from them is far more expensive than even retail.

Gamers Gate is a better option than either.

Archived