Stanford has a new coach.....

With my recent Baylor dynasty crashing, I've decided to go a different way and go with a school where acadmics are a big priority. Stanford is a school on the rise, but in my game, they are a school on the decline, going 3-8 last year (1-7 in the Pac 10). Admissions have told me that they won't take anyone below a 3.0 GPA, so finding players that fit in our system could be a real problem. I've definately got my work cut out for myself, but I'm up to the task. It should be fun to see if I can bring Stanford to the level of a USC, Cal or UCLA.

Offseason

Well, we've got our work cut out for us. I've decided to keep all our coordinators through this year. They're all pretty good at what they do, but admittedly had a tough time of it last year. Still, I like what they bring to the table.

Looking over the stats last year, this will be a big offseason for us in terms of recruiting and getting the type of players that we need to get. We're losing our starting quarterback, top pass rusher and our top tight end. We do however return our top running back, wide reciever and our whole offensive line. All is not lost.

Transfers

There were a couple I like, but I decided to go with the guys I can develope myself. I'm not a big transfer guy, so I'll just take my chances with the freshman I can get.

Recruiting

Looking over the roster we've got, we've got some serious needs. Here's what I think we need:

QB: 1

RB: 1

FB: 1

WR: 1

TE: 1

DE: 1

DT: 2

CB: 2

FS: 1

SS: 1

By my count, that's 12 of our 14 scholarships that we have to fill. I'm gonna try and stick as close to that model as possible, but I know that I'll probably stray from it a bit if I feel like we can get a player at another position that can really help out. I also will be targeting athletes that can play multiple positions. We just need to get better players, period.

National Signing Day

When all was said and done, I'm actually pretty happy with how things went. We got a couple of high profile players that I think will really help us down the road. With an emphisis on academics, it was really challenging to get the players that I feel will fit in the systems I like to use. Here's who decided to come to Stanford:

WR Ray Woolfolk, 4-stars

San Bernardino Valley (CA), El Centro, CA, HS - CA

National Rank: 176, Regional: 33, Position: 18

Wolfolk is a big time get for us. He's a junior college player that we're gonna be looking at to come in and have an immediate impact. He's a big time receiver and an even better return man. We're really excited to have him at Stanford.

RB Phil Justin, 4-stars

Butte (CA), Los Altos, CA, HS - CA

National Rank: 115, Regional: 19, Position: 16

Justin is another high profile recruit that we got from the junior college ranks that will be counted on to come in and contribute immediately. Justin is a big back that is hard to take down, able to gain the extra yards needed to move the chains. Probably the starter for us next year.

DT Brock Byrd, 4-stars

Strathmore (Strathmore, CA)

National Rank: 260, Regional: 54, Position: 15

We said we needed two defensive tackles, but only got Brock to commit to us. Brock is a little undersized for my liking, yet was a huge force for his high school team, recording 18 sacks his senior year. The dude is a ball hawk, plain and simple. We need players, and Brock is a player. Welcome kid.

QB Cory Ellis, 4-stars

Sacramento (Sacramento, CA)

National Rank: 223, Regional: 43, Position: 23

Ellis is the type of quarterback that I love to have. He's got a good touch on his passes, but when the play breaks down, he's got the legs to improvise and make something out of nothing. He was easily the highest profile quarterback on our roster. We're lucky to get the kid.

WR Gary Olander, 4-stars

Biggs (Biggs, CA)

National Rank: 293, Regional: 57, Position: 30

This dude is a pure beast. He's one of the duo, the redzone terrors (along with Ty Martin). He's a tall guy, standing 6'5 and can run with the best of them, 4.43 second forty. Olander is pretty much the same type player as Martin. Should be fun to watch the two of them develope.

CB Rudi Alexander, 3-stars

Davis (Davis, CA)

National Rank: 468, Regional: 86, Position: 50

Rudi is definately a welcomed addition for us here at Stanford. He's got some big play abilities, making 58 tackles, three sacks and picking off a pass in high school. He took that pass back for a score. He doesn't have the best potential around, but I feel like he could turn into a good nickle back type of corner.

FB Glen Sanderson, 3-stars

Mt. San Jacinto (CA), Oakley, CA, HS - CA

National Rank: 848, Regional: 160, Position: 23

Sanderson is a bruiser from the junior college ranks that blows people up with his blocking. He's a north south runner, so you know what you get when you're talking about this guy. Will probably be our starter at fullback next year.

OG Wayne James, 3-stars

Tennyson (Hayward, CA)

National Rank: 690, Regional: 126, Position: 48

Wayne is the stronger of the two offensive guards that we picked up this year. He isn't as big as Hugh Adamson, yet benches nearly 30 pounds more. That should tell you how powerful the dude is. Wayne is gonna be a staple of our offensive line for a long time.

ILB Torrance Hart, 3-stars

Lutheran (Orange, CA)

National Rank: 616, Regional: 116, Position: 33

At the moment, Hart isn't the best cover backer that I've ever seen, but with time, the scouts feel like that could be one of his strong suits. We've been recruiting speed, and Hart has plenty of it. He's a tackling machine, able to get to the ball where ever it is. I like what Hart brings us.

TE J.P. Levy, 3-stars

Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA)

National Rank: 752, Regional: 140, Position: 27

J.P. is probably gonna come in when we use some two tight end sets. When god thought about a tight end, he pictured J.P. Levy. Levy stands 6'5, weighs 217 pounds and runs a 4.57 forty. When all is said and done, I think J.P. has a chance to be one of the best tight ends ever at Stanford.

OG Hugh Adamson, 3-stars

Fort Bragg (Fort Bragg, CA)

National Rank: 487, Regional: 94, Position: 32

Hugh is a big burly guy that likes to use his power to his advantage. He's suprising agile for a big guy. We really didn't have many needs on the offensive line, but the way I think, you can never have to many lineman. Hugh is a welcomed addition.

DE Ken Haynes, 3-stars

Mission Viejo (Mission Viejo, CA)

National Rank: 1032, Regional: 198, Position: 65

We recruited Ken for one reason and one reason only. The dude is a terror to handle because of his speed (4.58 forty while weighing 263 pounds). He's not the meanest guy in the world, nor the strongest, but he's got a motor that just won't quite. He's the type of player I love to have on my team.

WR Ty Martin, 3-stars

Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA)

National Rank: 251, Regional: 51, Position: 25

Martin is the type of receiver that I love to have in my systems. He's a tall guy, standing 6'5 and can absolutely run (4.55 forty). He's a nightmare for smaller cornerbacks to matchup with in the redzone. I'm not sure if we'll redshirt him this year or not, but he'll surely be a important part of our program moving forward.

FS Kassim Walker, 3-stars

El Camino Real (Woodland Hills, CA)

National Rank: 504, Regional: 98, Position: 29

At the moment, Kassim is as raw as they come, but his athletic ability more then makes up for the mistakes he makes. His cover skills are his strength right now, but with time, the scouts feel like he should be able to blitz from the safety spot with the best of them. Walker was a need for us. Happy to get the young man.

I think we brought in a pretty good class. It'll probably be ranked somewhere in the top 30-35. We had an oppurtunity to get more high profile kids, but with the academic restrictions on us, I'm confident we did the best we could. With continued success, recruiting should get easier.

Final Recruiting Rank: #25

Training

Like I always do, I let the assistants do this.

Depth Chart

Quarterbacks

Starter: Cory Ellis (FR)

Backup: Michael Brooks (RS / FR)

Runningbacks

Starter: Phil Justin (JR)

Backup: Vincent Lee (SO) - rushed for over 1,000 yards and three touchdowns last year

Fullbacks

Starter: Glen Sanderson (JR)

Backup: Derek Long (SO)

Wide Receivers

Starter: Fabian Glenn (SR) - 37 catches for 582 yards and one touchdown

Starter: Ray Woolfolk (JR)

Backup: Russell Morris (JR) - 51 catches for 679 yards and six touchdowns

Backup: Ricky Fiss ( RS / SO)

Tight Ends

Starter: J.P. Levy (FR)

Backup: Jerton Jones (SO)

Offensive Tackles

Starter: Leo DeRogatis (RS / SO) - four sacks allowed in nine games last year

Starter: Warren Herndon (RS / SO)

Backup: Ron Paige (RS / SR) - one sack allowed in 12 games last year

Backup: Kevin Short (SR) - one sack allowed in three games

Offensive Guards

Starter: Tommy Mitchell (JR) - three sacks allowed in 10 games

Starter: Hugh Adamson (FR)

Backup: Lawrence Coleman (SR) - no sacks allowed in 11 games

Backup: Jack Parris (RS / SR)

Centers

Starter: Bob Tomich (SO) - eight sacks allowed in 10 games

Backup: Boss Herring (RS / SR) - no sacks allowd in five games

Defensive Ends

Starter: Dwayne Tucker (RS / JR) - five tackles in five games

Starter: Bert Hampton (RS / SO) - 11 tackles , three sacks in seven games

Backup: Ron Rutggens (SO) - eight tackles, two sacks in five games

Backup: Than Brown (RS / SO)

Defensive Tackles

Starter: Dameanne Jones (SR) - three tackles, one sack in seven games

Starter: Brock Byrd (FS)

Backup: Fred Jeffries (RS / SO)

Backup: Jim Riggs (RS / FR)

Inside Linebackers

Starter: Jack Keyworth (SR) - 72 tackles, three sacks in 11 games

Starter: John Golsteyn (JR) - 73 tackles, four sacks in 11 games

Backup: Lionel Thomason (RS / FR)

Backup: Dick Brown (RS / JR)

Outside Linebackers

Starter: Jerald Davis (RS / SR) - 42 tackles, two sacks in 11 games

Starter: Kevin Wiley (RS / SO)

Backup: Ryan Green (SO) - 29 tackles, one sack in eight games

Backup: Mike Dingle (SR) - 20 tackles, one sack in six games

Cornerbacks

Starter: Tom McLoud (JR) - 29 tackles, one interception in 10 games

Starter: Al Lyman (SR) - 18 tackles, one interception in seven games

Backup: Rudi Alexander (FR)

Backup: Jake Green (RS / JR) - 14 tackles, one interception in seven games

Backup: Cliff Meier (RS / FR)

Free Safety

Starter: Jeff Jones (SR) - 56 tackles, three interceptions in 10 games

Backup: Kassim Walker (FR)

Strong Safety

Starter: Amani Stewart (SO) - 22 tackles, one sack in eight games

Backup: Shaun Foster (SR) - 17 tackles in five games

Kicker

Starter: Bruce Breedlove (JR) - 17-29 FG made, 19-20 XP made in 11 games

Punter

Starter: Larry Pickens (FR)

Schedule

Week 1: @ Central Florida

Week 2: Northwestern

Week 3: Southern Miss

Week 4: @ #9 Washington State

Week 5: Open

Week 6: #13 Washington

Week 7: Arizona

Week 8: Open

Week 9: #1 USC

Week 10: @ Arizona State

Week 11: @ #22 Oregon State

Week 12: #10 UCLA

Week 13: Open

Week 14: California

Week 15: Open

The schedule is absolutely brutal. We've got seven home games, including USC, UCLA and Washington. Our road games are all gonna be brutal, going to Washington State, Arizona State and Oregon State. We're sitting at #20 in the nation in terms of schedule, so no one can say we didn't play high quality competition.

Week 1

Stanford (1-0): 34 , Central Florida: 16

Not the most high profile game to play right out of the gate, but this was a huge win. We played well as a team. Our passing game showed up. Our rushing game showed up. We played solid defense. Hell, even our poor kicking game came through. Today was a solid win for us.

True freshman quarterback Cory Ellis was as solid as he could be in this one, completing 21 of 32 passes for 248 yards with three touchdowns and a pick. The dude was outstanding. I couldn't have asked for a better start from the kid. Well, we could have done without the pick, but other then that, he did as good as possible.

We had a change in the rushing game, something I'm glad happened. Returning sophmore Vincent Lee was HUGE in this one. The former 1,000 yard rusher ran the ball 33 times for 241 yards and a touchdown. Junior college transfer Phil Justin had a so so start, carrying the ball four times for 28 yards.

Ray Woolfolk had a welcomed debut, catching seven passes for 106 yards and a score. Junior Russell Morris played a nice role, catching four passes for 47 yards and a touchdown while true freshman Ty Martin also caught four passes for 43 yards and a score.

On defense, backup linebacker Lionel Thomason lead the team with eight tackles. True freshman free safety Kassim Walker chipped in with seven tackles while linebacker John Golsteyn, free safety Jeff Jones and corner Cliff Meier each had five tackles. Our ends were terrors for the offensive line. Dwayne Tucker had two sacks while his battering mate, Ron Ruttgens had one.

Don't get me wrong, Central Florida is by no means a big time program, yet I feel like this was the type of game we needed to have before we get playing the big boys. We step it up a bit next week with Northwestern coming into town, so it should be a good test for our young guys. Neither team were really picked to do much in conference this year, so this game is important to both squads.

Week 2

Stanford (2-0): 45 , Northwestern: 0

This was a big time win for us, not because of who it was, but because of how we won. We destroyed Northwestern in almost every faze of the game. We could pass whenever we wanted. We ran whenever we wanted. Our special teams killed them. We're still a bit away from making a huge splash in the Pac 10, so we need to take care of the games that we're suppose to win. This is a prime example of that.

We gave the reigns over to redshirt freshman Michael Brooks this week to see what he could bring to the table, and boy, were we happy to see what we had. Brooks completed 16 of 24 passes for 167 yards and two touchdowns. Brooks in my eyes did enough to warrant another look at quarterback down the road. He protected the ball and was productive when he needed to be. This is a good problem to have.

When the offseason started, if you would have told me that after two weeks, Vincent Lee would already be over 500 yards rushing, I would have told you you're crazy. But alas, Lee is turning into a true stud. In this one, he rushed for an amazing 291 yards on 35 carries with two touchdowns. Seriously, I don't think I've ever had a kid rush for more yards in a two game stretch then what Lee has done. Thank god we've got him for at least another year.

A couple of newcomers lead the way for us in receptions today. Freshman Ty Martin lead us with six catches for 57 yards while junior Ray Woolford had five catches for 53 yards and a touchdown. Junior Russell Morris was solid for the second week in a row, catching three balls for 30 yards and a score. Our receiving core is doing just enough to take the pressure off our running game.

Our punt return game was outstanding today. We certainly have one of the most dangerous punt returners in sophmore Phil Gordon. Gordon was a beast today, turning five punts for a 30 yards average and two touchdowns. The guy isn't the best receiver we got, but he's surely the best punt return guy that we have. What's even better? We've got him for another two years.

Our inside linebackers were our big play makers on defense today. Redshirt freshman Lionel Thomason had eight tackles and his first sack of his career while John Golsteyn had seven tackles. Freshman Kassim Walker, tackle Dameanne Jones, linebacker Kevin Wiley and defensive end Ron Rutggens each had sacks in this one. Senior safety John Jones also had a interception. Our defense was all over the place with just about everyone making an impact in some way or another.

Like I said before, this wasn't a big win because of who we played, but because of how we played. We've got a good test next week in Southern Miss coming in, so we'll have to be on our game again. I'm expecting another big game rushing the ball, so hopefully we can come out on top once again.

--- Recruit on Campus ---

We got strong safety Larry Norton come and visit to see us smash Northwestern. Rated as the 59th ranked prospect overall and the seventh best strong safety in the nation, I was quite happy to see us get such a big win when such a high profile recruit came to visit.

Week 3

Stanford (3-0): 42 , Southern Miss: 9

Let me first start off by saying that the score doesn't tell the story of this one. This was actually a hard fought game that we just happened to make more big plays then they did. Lets put it like this. We had one more yard then Southern Miss in this one.

Freshman quarterback Cory Ellis was back at the helm in this one and didn't disappoint. Ellis completed 19 of 32 passes for 287 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. What I really liked though was his ability to keep a play alive with his legs, rushing the ball five times for 65 yards.

Vincent Lee went down in this one after his first carry so we had to turn to Phil Justin. Justin certainly didn't disappoint, rushing the ball 23 times for 63 yards and two touchdowns. He showed his versatility though, catching the ball five times for 64 yards and two more touchdowns. A four touchdown game is something that a lot of players can only dream of, and now Justin has one. We won this game because of Phil Justin.

Ray Woolford stepped up for us again, catching five passes for 131 yards and a touchdown. Senior receiver Fabian Glenn finally showed up and contributed with four catches for 50 yards while Ty Martin matched the four catches of Glenn, but only had 40 yards.

On defense, our freshman defensive tackle, Brock Byrd, made the biggest impact, recording six tackles and three huge sacks. John Golsteyn actually lead us in tackles with nine and also had a sack. A couple of defensive lineman, Dameanne Jones and Bert Hampton both had a sack in this one while Al Lymon and Rudi Alexander each recorded their first interceptions of the year. Dwayne Tucker, Lionel Thomason and Jeff Jones all had a forced fumble. Our defense was all over the place today.

We finished as good as we could have hoped for heading into conference play. Now the real season starts for us. We're not picked to do anything really, so hopefully we can sneak up on a few teams and pull out a couple of wins.

Defensive tackle Derrick Gillmore came to see us beat Southern Miss this week. Gillmore is ranked #102 overall and is the #12 defensive tackle in the nation. We keep getting these high profile guys to come in, which I'm certainly not complaining about. We need to keep winning so we can keep impressing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 4

#9 Washington State: 45 , Stanford (3-1 , 0-1 Conf): 15

And, we come crashing down this week. There's a reason why they are ranked in the top 10 in the nation and they certainly showed it today. The final score really doesn't do this game justice though. Washington State should have beat us by 50. At half, it was 35-7, so they could have really layed it on us. Washington State's QB threw for 489 yards and five touchdowns. We had absolutely no answer for anything they did, period.

Cory Ellis, our true freshman quarterback, was actually kinda overwhelmed today. He had a good competition percentage, converting 17 of 24 passes for 160 yards with a pick. He had a lot of little swing passes that would go for 6 to 8 yards, but we could never get the big one.

Phil Justin had a productive night rushing the ball, gaining 158 yards on 25 carries to go along with a touchdown. As a team, we actually rushed the ball pretty well, gaining 5.5 yards per carry. Our defense just got ate up, so we were down so much that we really couldn't get in much of a groove.

Our receivers really let us down today. Well, not all of them. Ray Woolford was the lone bright spot, catching seven passes for 84 yards. Fabian Glenn caught four passes for 38 yards. Outside of those guys, nobody did jack. I thought the receivers were one of our strengths on the team, but this game just showed how far we are to being a superb unit.

Our defense got ate up and chewed out today, no doubt about it. We had a couple of players record eight tackles in middle linebacker John Golsteyn and freshman free safety Kassim Walker. Golsteyn also forced a fumble. Freshman corner Rudi Alexander played as well as expected, making five tackles, intercepting a pass and forcing a fumble. Outside linebacker Jody Davis recorded his first sack of the season. Really, a poor effort displayed from the bunch as a whole.

We got hammered. It's as easy as that. We've got a week off to get healthy and then #14 Washington at home. I'm expecting a better effort. I didn't say a win, but effort. If we lose and play hard, I can live with that. We'll see how we bounce back.

Week 6

#14 Washington: 20 , Stanford: 13 (3-2 , 0-2 Conf.)

This was a tough one to swallow. We played so well, yet couldn't squeak it out. Our passing game was non existant. If we would have had any form of a passing attack, I think we could have really been a threat, yet we weren't. Oh well, live and learn. The team is still young, so we should only get better.

Cory Ellis has easily his worst game of his young career, going 9 for 27 for 128 yards and a interception. It's safe to say, Ellis is capable of playing better then he showed. He's gonna go through his growing pains, so we've just got to be patient with the young guy.

The only reason this game was so close was because of our talented running back, Vincent Lee. Lee was a beast in this one, rushing for 193 yards on 26 carries and a touchdown. Lucky for us, Lee is only a sophmore, so we've got another two years with the kid (hopefully).

We basically had two receivers show up today. Ray Woolford was solid as usual, catching five passes for 96 yards. Russell Morris, usually the third or fourth reciever, caught three passes for 26 yards. Tight end J.P. Levy caught the only other pass completed for a measly six yards. Thank god for Woolford or else we would be in some serious trouble.

We've been waiting for outside linebacker Kevin Wiley to have a big game and he finally did, recording 12 tackles. Fellow linebackers Jack Keyworth had seven tackles and a forced fumble while John Golsteyn and Ryan Green both finished with six tackles. Strong safety Amani Stewart recorded six tackles while free safety Jeff Jones had five tackles. Brock Byrd had a sack in this one.

We're so damn close to breaking through that I can almost taste it. We played hard today, yet didn't get the results we were looking for. We were in the game the whole time, yet couldn't pull out the win. I'm sure we'll get a big one sooner rather then later. We've just got to be patient.

Week 7

Stanford: 20 (4-2 , 1-2 Conf.) , Arizona: 9

Our first conference win comes at home! I couldn't be happier for the guys in the locker room right now. This wasn't the perfect win, but it is a win non the less. We've got some things to correct, but we'll enjoy this one for a little bit and get back at it tomorrow.

For the second game in a row, Cory Ellis wasn't quite up to where I would have liked to see him. He had a ok completion percentage (19 of 36) and had some nice passing yards, 228 yards, but he had the turnover that I thought he would start learning from. For us to be successful, he's gonna have to start cutting those out. We'll see what if he can.

Our rushing game was solid yet again. Vincent Lee was his usual self, rushing the ball 36 times for 175 yards and a touchdown. Fullback Glenn Sanderson usually doesn't get many touches, but he was big in this one, rushing the ball six times for 64 yards. We also got a rushing touchdown from a surprise perfomer, wide receiver Fabian Glenn, who scored on a one yard run. I couldn't be happier with how we rushed the ball today.

Unlike the Washington game, we were able to spread out the ball pretty well and keep the defense guessing. Lee actually lead us in receiving as well, catching six passes for 57 yards. J.P. Levy caught four passes for 40 yards while Ray Woolford also caught four passes for 36 yards. Fabian Glenn caught three passes for 35 yards while freshman Ty Martin only had one catch, but it went for 48 big yards. We had a lot of big plays that really helped us set up the run. I just wish Ellis would make better decisions when under pressure.

Middle linebacker Jack Keyworth was big for us today, recording seven tackles and a pick. Outside linebacker Ryan Green was solid with seven tackles as well. Jack Golsteyn had five tackles while Al Lymon, Jeff Jones and Rudi Alexander all had four tackles. It really wasn't a big game for our defense stats wise, yet we were efficient and never gave up the big play. Couldn't be happier.

We go into the bye week on a positive note. We'll hopefully take this week get healthy and gear up for another big game against #5 USC. I know it's gonna be a big task for us, but hopefully, we'll be up for it and finally get over the hump. Only time will tell though.

--- Recruits on Campus ---

Four star cornerback Ed Lehan is coming for a visit today. Rated as the 8th best corner and 15th rated player in the West region, Lehan can certainly play. Through four weeks, he's recorded 32 tackles, five pass deflections and four interceptions. He would be a big addition to our defense.

Week 9

Stanford: 34 (5-2 , 2-2 Conf.) , #5 USC: 31

Holy god, I can't believe we came away with a win in this one. We were killing them from the get go and then USC came back and showed why they're one of the elite teams with a 14-0 fourth quarter come back, but lucky for us, we were just to far ahead. Easily, this will be one of the biggest wins that we will ever get while at Stanford. This one is special.

Freshman Cory Ellis wasn't perfect, but he gave us a chance to win. He completed 16 of 30 for 250 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. He wasn't one dimensional though. He showed why I think we have a special quarterback in our grasp, rushing the ball five times for 25 yards and a touchdown. Despite the turnovers, I'm satisfied with his play.

Our rushing game really wasn't up to par today. Vincent Lee was held in check, rushing the ball 22 times for 62 yards. Lee and Ellis were our only rushing threats, which is ok. Thank god our receivers were able to step up and make a play or two.

Ty Martin, the freshman receiver, picked a good time to have his biggest game of his young career, catching four passes for 84 yards and a touchdown. Ray Woolfolk also caught four passes for 62 yards while Fabiann Glenn had three catches for 52 yards. J.P. Levy made his mark in this one as well, catching three passes for 36 yards and a touchdown. After a couple of lack luster games, I'm happy that our receivers finally stepped up and became a threat.

Lionel Thomason, Jack Keyworth and Jeff Jones were huge for us today, each recording seven tackles. Kasim Walker came up big as well, recording six tackles while Kevin Wiley, Amani Stewart and Ryan Green each had five tackles. Stewart also had a pick. Bert Hampton had easily the biggest play on defense though, recovering a fumble and taking it 37 yards for a big touchdown scamper. Our defense made plays when we needed too. This group really showed up today.

This was easily the staple win for us this year and maybe for my tenure here. This was huge. We're already at five wins, so the next one puts us bowl eligeable, so we need to get to work . It's not gonna be easy, as three of our last four opponents are ranked in the top 25. Hopefully, we've got another upset in us.

We have one of the most high profile recruits in the nation on campus this week, five star strong safety Damien Stephens. Stephens is the #2 ranked strong safety in the nation and sixth best prospect in the West region. Through three games, Stephens had 42 tackles, six pass deflections and three interceptions. We got lucky in this one. Hopefully, our big win here will help ease his mind and jump on the Stanford bandwagon!

Week 10

#14 Arizona State: 33 , Stanford: 24 (5-3 , 2-3 Conf.)

Man, we played four quarters of hard fought football, but Arizona State was just the better team today. Much like our earlier games, we couldn't get away from the turnover. We played hard, but it just wasn't to be.

Much like the previous games, Cory Ellis was plagued by the interception. He only threw one this game, but didn't have any touchdown throws. If he throws picks, he needs to at least throw a few touchdown passes to help even things out. As it turns out in this one, he didn't. For the game, he completed 17 of 31 passes for 249 yards. If he could stay away from the pick, he would be doing great, but he's not so things are just OK with him right now.

Vincent Lee was back to his stellar play, rushing for 170 yards on 24 carries and two touchdowns. Lee is such a important part of the team. He keeps the defense honest. If the opponent were to bring an extra defender into the box, we have the option to throw over the top, something that I hope Ellis will start doing more and more.

As usual, Ray Woolfolk was the man for us catching the ball. The junior stud finished the day with six catches for 107 yards. Fabiann Glenn had a solid game, catching four passes for 51 yards while both Ty Martin and fullback Glenn Sanderson had two catches. Martin's went for 41 yards while Sanderson's went for 27 yards.

Jack Keyworth was solid in this one yet again, recording 10 tackles. Jeff Jones had six tackles while Amani Stewart, Jeff Green and Lionel Thomason each had five tackles. A pair of defensive ends, Dwayne Tucker and Ron Ruttgens, each had a sack in this one while freshman corner Rudi Alexander posted three pass deflections.

Hard fought game both ways. I'm happy that we played like we did, but I was hoping that our guys had grown to the point where we knew how to play in the close games. Still, we've got three more games in the year, so hopefully we can come away with a win in one of them and hopefully get to a bowl game. I would hate to waste such a promising start to the season and end on such a sour note.

Week 11

Oregon State: 44 , Stanford: 35 (5-4 , 2-4 Conf.)

Much like our other losses, we played hard, but one quarter doomed us, this time the second quarter where we got outscored 21-7. Much like the last few games, turnovers were a key reason to why we lost. Our defense got eaten up, holding Oregon State (I say holding in a relatively loose term) to 688 yards. That more then double our output. But even with that, we were right in the game until the very end. Our guys played hard, but it just wasn't to be.

I've been getting more and more upset with the way Cory Ellis has been playing of lately, and today just added to my fury. Ellis had a off night all the way around, completing 10 of 24 passes for 186 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. He just can't seem to put it all together on a cosistant basis. I keep telling myself that he's only a freshman, but I've got such high expectations for the kid. I really think he has a chance to do some special things while at Stanford.

Our rushing game was the main reason why we were even in this one. As usual, Vincent Lee was the big bull for us today, rushing the ball 26 times for 163 yards and two touchdowns. I'm so lucky to have Lee on board when I came here. I knew he was good, but had no idea he would be this good. If he doesn't get some form of all conference award, I will throw a serious fit.

We basically had two receivers that were on point today. Ray Woolfork was a solid as they come, catching four passes for 91 yards and a touchdown while Russell Morris chipped in with three catches for 79 yards. Outside of those two, we didn't have a player with more then 14 receiving yards in the game. We need more then two receivers to step up if we're gonna be successful. It's that simple really.

We had a really nice special teams play that really lifted the spirits of the fellas on the sidelines. Oregon State lined up for a 29 yard field goal but Fabian Glenn got around the edge and blocked it. It bounced to the Stanford one yard line, where running back Phil Justin returned it 99 yards for the touchdown. That was a huge play that kept the guys morale up. We just couldn't capitalize on it though.

Linebacker Lionel Thomason lead us with eight tackles while John Golsteyn and Amani Stewart both had seven tackles. Kassim Walker had six tackles and a forced fumble while Rudi Alexander, Jeff Jones and Tom McCloud each had five tackles. Brock Byrd recorded a sack in this one as well.

We got beat down on defense, yet found a way to make a game out of it. In all honesty, this was probably our best chance to get that elusive sixth win with games against UCLA and Cal coming up. No worries though. We've already eclipsed our win total last year so this year hasn't been a total bust. Who knows, maybe we'll have another upset in us.

Week 12

Stanford: 26 (6-4 , 3-4 Conf.) , #21 UCLA: 21

Absolute huge win for us today! Not only did we beat another top 25 team, but this win puts us bowl eligable. In my first year non the less. I couldn't be happier for the guys. We played a near flawless game. We didn't turn the ball over once, and look what happened. We had guys step up that we really needed today. All around, it was a solid win.

Freshman Cory Ellis couldn't have played a better game today. The youngster completed 25 of 40 passes for 274 yards and two touchdowns. More importantly, like I already said, he didn't turn the ball over once. That's the type of play that I've been envisioning Ellis having for a few weeks now. Hopefully he'll turn the corner now and be able to continue on this hot streak.

Vincent Lee wasn't his big game self, but he was good enough to get the job done. He still rushed for over 100 yards, 105 to be exact, but it took the sophmore back 36 carries to get there. Still though, he managed to score a rushing touchdown, so that was huge. He was also big in the receiving game, catching four passes for 18 yards and another touchdown. Without a doubt, Vincent Lee should be our offensive MVP.

We had a pair of receivers really step up and play big for us today. Both Fabian Glenn and Ray Woolfolk had seven catches each. Glenn had bigger gains, getting 112 yards while Woolfolk's went for 74 yards and a touchdown. J.P. Levy only had one catch, but it went for 30 yards. It's nice to see some of the guys that I brought in last recruiting period produce big time.

We didn't really have a huge statistical day defensively, mainly due to UCLA only having the ball a little over 22 minutes. John Golsteyn lead us in tackles with seven. Lional Thomason chipped in with five. Both Kevin Wiley and Dwayne Tucker had sacks in this one. Kassim Walker also had a interception.

Big, big win for us this week. We continue to win at home, bringing our home record to an amazing 5-1. We take care of business at home, it's plain and simple. On the road, we still struggle, but we take care of business in our house. We're now bowl eligeable, so hopefully we have a good showing next week against Cal. I'm so happy for the guys.

Four star tight end Po Aska came to see us beat UCLA today. Aska, the fourth rated tight end in the nation, is rated as the 16th rated player in the West region. Aska is having a huge senior year, recording 29 catches for 373 yards and four touchdowns. With J.P. Levy already on board, Aska would be the perfect compliment in my eyes. He's a priority come the offseason.

Week 14

Cal: 38 , Stanford: 33 (6-5 , 3-5 Conf.)

Man, we gave them one hell of a fight. We got down to far and just couldn't come all the way back. The third quarter proved to be our undoing with Cal outscoring us 10-0. At the end of the third quarter, it was 38 to 13, but we weren't gonna stop fighting. We went on a 20-0 fourth quarter run, but just ran out of time. If only we could have shown up at the start of the game. I think we would have been alright.

Quarterback Cory Ellis played his heart out, doing everything in his power to try and will us to victory. Ellis didn't have the most accurate night, completing only 16 of 35 passes, but he did have 290 yards and three touchdown passes. The young man was also a threat with his feet, running twice for 24 yards. I would have liked to see his completion percentage higher, but I couldn't be happier that he took care of the ball. We didn't turn the ball over, and had a chance to win. It's a pretty easy formula to figure out.

Our running game was solid as usual, lead by none other then super sophmore Vincent Lee. In this regular season finale, Lee finished with 179 yards on 29 attempts. He was also our top receiver today, catching a team high five passes for 55 yards. Lee is a true beast and I'm expecting nothing but the best from him next year. We go as Lee goes.

We didn't have huge catch numbers, but our yardage was out of this world. Russell Morris only had two catches, but they went for a total of 78 yards. Fabian Glenn had three catches for 62 yards, but two of those were for scores. Ray Woolfork had a so-so day, catching three passes for 49 yards and a score. We had a good day getting yards after the catch. I'm happy for this group.

On defense, Lionel Thomason paced us with eight tackles. A trio of three players had seven tackles, John Golsteyn, Jeff Jones and Kassim Walker. Golsteyn also had a sack. Our defense really got eaten up by the Cal quarterback. We just couldn't stop the dude. If we could have gotten some decent pressure up front on him, I think we would have had a more serious chance of winning this one.

So, we finished with a 6-5 record. Not bad for a first year coach, right? Hopefully, we'll get some respect and get invited to a decent bowl game. I won't lie. If we get snubbed, I'll be disappointed. It won't be the end of the world, but still, we played hard all year long (for the most part). I think we played to our full potential this year and we should only get better next year.

Award Winners

2nd Team All American

© Bob Tomich: 22 run blocks, 20 pancakes, 1 sack allowed

1st Team Pac 10

© Bob Tomich

(P) Larry Pickens: 38.7 average, 32.1 net, 54 long, 14 inside 20

2nd Team Pac 10

(RB) Vincent Lee: 1,594 yards, 5.88 ypc, 11 TD

(OG) Tommy Mitchell: 9 run blocks, 14 pancakes, 1 sack allowed

3rd Team Pac 10

(FB) Glen Sanderson: 154 yards, 4.97 ypc

(DT) Brock Byrd: 21 tackles, 5 sacks, 6 run stuffs

This is about what I thought we would get from this group of guys. I'm happy that Lee got recognized for his superb season. I thought he had a chance at first team, but I won't be greedy, so second team is fine. It's good to see his backfield running mate, Glen Sanderson make third team. Brock Byrd was a nice suprise as well. I'm expecting big things from the soon to be sophmore d-tackle.

We Are Bowl Bound!

The title says it all. I got the call today that we're heading down to South Florida to take on North Carolina. It's gonna be a real good test for the guys. We're probably gonna be real big underdogs, but the experience to be playing in a bowl game is something that is so cool. This can only do good things for the program. I can't wait.

South Florida Bowl

Stanford: 20 (7-5 , 3-5 Conf.) , North Carolina: 18

Oh my god, I can't believe we actually won our bowl game. This is one of the best moments in my young coaching career. I couldn't be happier for the guys and the way they played. We went in there as the underdogs and came out the victors. Good game North Carolina, but couldn't be denied.

Cory Ellis continued his stellar play, completing 17 of 39 passes for 266 yards and a touchdown. Once again, he didn't throw a pick. No interceptions equal a good game from us. Hopefully Ellis continues to get better over the offseason and he continues this hot streak all the way into next season.

Our second team all conference running back really had a off night, rushing the ball 25 times for 89 yards. He made up for it with the receiving game though, catching four passes for 76 yards and the lone receiving touchdown. We did have a rushing touchdown however, from one of the most unlikely sources. Freshman receiver Ty Martin took an end around five yards for his first career rushing score. It got us off on the right foot and we never looked back.

Ray Woolfolk was our top wideout threat, catching four passes for 70 yards. Fabian Glenn also had four catches, but they only went for 41 yards. Fullback Glen Sanderson was a big contributor as well, catching a measly two passes, but they went for 48 big yards. We didn't have the best receiving game, but it was good enough to get us through.

Linebacker John Golsteyn was a absolute beast on defense. The junior linebacker lead the team with seven tackles, one sack and a interception. Al Lymon also had seven tackles and a forced fumble in this one while Lionel Thomason chipped in with six tackles. Defense end Bert Hampton was big in this one, making two tackles, one sack and forcing three hurries. Our defense came up big when it needed to.

So, we finished the year on a high note. I couldn't be happier with this win. We're losing a couple of solid player in Glenn, Keyworth and Jeff Jones, but I think am pretty optomistic at the way that recruiting will play out for us. Hopefully, we'll be able to bring in some quality guys and continue the winning way here at Stanford.

Offseason

The season is over and I know there's no time to rest. I've got to get to work right away and start to try and better the program. Before I can do anything though, I had seven messages waiting for me from various athletic directors inquiring if I would be interested in their head coaching jobs. I really didn't entertain the offers from North Texas, Eastern Michigan, Houston, Baylor and Rutgers. I did give some serious thought to BYU and Baylor however, but in the end, I've decided to stick it out with Stanford and try to bring a Pac 10 title to the people of Palo Alto.

I've decided to fire our defensive coordinator and hire on Tommy Pagliei. Tommy is one of the best coordinators around, specializing in the 3-4 defense. He's previously coached at Notre Dame and Alabama, so he's got some big time experience. Hopefully, he's found a nice home here at Stanford. I think he'll like himself.

Transfers

Much like last year, we decided to hold onto our available scholarships and use them during recruiting. However, we did have a player decide to jump ship and Fresno State. Wayne James, who we got last year during recruiting and decided to redshirt, felt like Stanford just wasn't for him and is taking his talents elsewhere. That's fine. I can't blame the guy. He wouldn't have been starting this year, so hopefully, he'll find some success playing for the Bulldogs.

Recruiting

I'm gonna try and target the defense as much as possible this year. We've got 17 available scholarships to fill and with a defense that ranked at #103 in the nation last year, I feel like we need better players to help bridge the gap. We're not gonna just stick on the defensive side, but it should be made a huge priority.

National Signing Day

We only got one high profile recruit, but I feel like this class is more balance then last years. I said I wanted to target the defense, and boy did I. 12 out of the 17 players we signed are on the defensive side with a strong possibility of a wide receiver being switched over to a safety spot. Here's who decided to come to Stanford:

DT Derrick Gilmore, 4-stars

Lompoc (Lompoc, CA)

National Rank: 102, Regional: 21, Position: 12

Gilmore is easily the big get here, and what a get he is. He's a excellent run stopper and an equally talented pass rusher. His mean streak is absolutely off the charts, meaning he's always on the go. His motor never stops. With time, we feel like he has a chance to be one of the best d-tackles that Stanford has ever seen. I'm excited to see him and Brock Byrd on the same line.

OT Pete Menefee, 4-stars

Hogan (Vallejo, CA)

National Rank: 383, Regional: 71, Position: 20

Pete is a beast of an offensive tackle that likes to push the defensive line around with his brute strength. He's a weightroom warrior, meaning he's always in there trying to get stronger. His feet aren't the quickest around, but they get the job done. I didn't think Pete was that good when I first started recruiting him, but look at him being one of my two four star recruits. Gotta like that.

OLB Stump Gilbert, 3-stars

Pitman (Turlock, CA)

National Rank: 466, Regional: 89, Position: 38

Stump has a mean streak not possessed by many linebacker coming into college, period. He lacks top notch speed, but with time, it should be enough for him to keep making plays. He's got one of the biggest motors that you'll ever see a player possess. With that passion, the sky is the limit for this kid. I've got good feeling about him.

OLB Billy Ferguson, 3-stars

Ely (Pompano Beach, FL)

National Rank: 377, Regional: 95, Position: 30

Billy has some of the best insticts displayed by any outside linebacker coming into the college ranks. His strength right now is definately rushing the passer. With time, his run stoppage should be adaquette, but right now, it's just not there. It's a good thing he has such good insticts, because he lacks ideal speed. Billy should be a key factor in our defense in a year or two.

ILB Scott Jackson, 3-stars

Glendale CC (AZ), Los Angeles, CA, HS - CA

National Rank: 340, Regional: 63, Position: 22

Jackson is the lone junior college player that we went after. He's ready now to come in and start right away, something we don't necessarily need, but will be a welcomed addition anyway. With a little practice time, Jackson has the potential to become one of the best tacklers that we'll ever see here at Stanford. He's definately not the fast guy around, but he's a smart player, so he's always in position. I really like this one.

CB Bill Owens, 3-stars

Garfield (Los Angeles, CA)

National Rank: 374, Regional: 70, Position: 27

Billy Owens is the type of corner that love to hit people. He's a powerhouse in every sense of the word, able to bench press 321 pounds. That's pretty impressive when you weigh 175 pounds, soaking wet. His strength make a move to free safety a big possibility, especially since we brought in two other corners. Either way, I'm happy to see Bill in Palo Alto.

SS Ralph Martin, 3-stars

Union (Union, OR)

National Rank: 403, Regional: 76, Position: 31

Ralph is your prototypical safety that is always going hard that loves to hit people. He's got the speed to stick with most of the receivers in the Pac 10, so he shouldn't be left on an island if matched up with one. His hands are a little suspect right now, so he'll probably never be more then average at picking off passes when all is said and done. Ralph has a chance to be a real good player here at Stanford.

DT Freddie Canidate, 3-stars

Hueneme (Oxnard, CA)

National Rank: 612, Regional: 114, Position: 38

Freddie isn't one of the biggest d-tackles around, but his technique more then makes up for what he lacks in size. He's an outstanding tackler that when he gets his hands on somebody, more then likely, they're gonna go down. With more practice time, we feel like he should be near the top at trying to get to the quarterback. Will probably see time right away, although in a perfect world, he'd redshirt.

WR Dan Smith, 3-stars

Grangeville (Grangeville, ID)

National Rank: 457, Regional: 86, Position: 59

Smith is a playmaker. It's that simple. He's got the skills to make defenders look silly when he catches the ball. He's a dynamic punt and kick returner that is capable of taking it back to the house anytime he touches the ball. He's got good size and speed that makes me wonder if a move to safety would be more benificial to the team. I'll have to think about this one.

WR Billy Wrighster, 3-stars

Hunter (West Valley City, UT)

National Rank: 555, Regional: 105, Position: 77

Billy is a true speedster in every sense of the game. He's not tall, standing only 6 feet tall, but his quickness is second to none. He's not the most agressive guy around, thus he doesn't make a blocking down field a huge necessity to his game. Still, he's got solid hands and is threat to score everytime he touches the ball. I think he's a real sleeper.

CB Lamar Neumann, 3-stars

Lodi (Lodi, CA)

National Rank: 677, Regional: 127, Position: 64

Lamar is definately one of the smallest players that Stanford has ever had, standing 5'10 but only weighing 146 pounds. For that reason alone, until he gains some strength, zone coverage is probably gonna be best suited for him to where he doesn't have to match up against the bigger receivers in the Pac 10. Still, I like Lamar and the abilities that he brings to Stanford.

TE Austin Tripplett, 3-stars

Taft (Taft, CA)

National Rank: 755, Regional: 142, Position: 37

I must admit, when the recruiting process started, Austin wasn't on my initial watch list. But with time, I grew to like his talents more and more. He's a big guy that has a mean streak that allows him to finish off his blocks. He's not the best receiving tight end around, only catching 23 passes his senior year, but I think with a little coaching, he should be adaquette in that area. Good get for us.

RB Larry Carson, 3-stars

Aliso Niguel (Aliso Viejo, CA)

National Rank: 704, Regional: 135, Position: 47

Carson is a big back, standing 5'10 and weighing 209 pounds. For that very reason, he's the big back that we need to give Lee a breather on the short yardage situations. In the future, I could see him being converted to a fullback. His run blocking skills are pretty good right now, making Carson a perfect candidate for a move.

OLB Larry Feely, 3-stars

Green River (Green River, WY)

National Rank: 721, Regional: 136, Position: 63

Feely is definately a workout warrior, always trying to better himself. He's the fastest of the three outside linebackers that we're bringing in. Larry isn't as ready as the other linebackers that we got, so a redshirt year is probably gonna be in order for the youngster. With time, It hink he's got a chance to be the best out of the three linebackers that we got this year.

OT Walt Nelson, 3-stars

Sunnyslope (Phoenix, AZ)

National Rank: 567, Regional: 107, Position: 33

Walt is much in the same mold as Pete, big burrly guys that like to use their power to put the defensive line where they want them. He's got a aggressive streak that when is all said and done, should make every aspect of his game better. He's actually got better agility then you would think for a that is 6'8 and 291 pounds. He'll probably redshirt this year, but is definately in the mix for the next four-five years.

CB Pat Harris, 2-stars

Tustin (Tustin, CA)

National Rank: 927, Regional: 170, Position: 95

Pat has the insticts that you would love every corner to possess. He's got good size and speed, so I would feel confident with him matching up against some of the bigger, stronger wideouts in the Pac 10. His hands aren't the best around, but then again, that's why he's a corner and not a receiver. Probably won't ever be anything more then a nickle back, but every team needs a player like Harris.

Final Recruiting Rank: #39

Training

Like always, I let the assistant handle this.

Depth Chart

Quarterback

Starter: Cory Ellis (SO) - 187 / 358 , 53.1% , 15 touchdowns , 10 interceptions

Backup: Joey Pope (RS / JR) - 28 / 56 , 50% , 1 touchdown , 5 interceptions

Backup: Michael Brocks (RS / SO) - 17 / 27 , 63% , 2 touchdowns , 1 interception

Halfback

Starter: Vincent Lee (JR) - rushed for 1683 yards and 10 touchdowns

Backup: Phil Justin (SR) - rushed for 266 yards and 3 touchdowns

Backup: Larry Carson (FR)

Fullback[/b]

Starter: Glen Sanderson (SR) - rushed for 164 yards

Backup: Derek Long (JR) - rushed for 25 yards

Wide Receiver

Starter: Ray Woolfolk (SR) - 61 catches for 959 yards and 6 touchdowns

Starter: Ty Martin (SO) - 29 catches for 366 yards and 2 touchdowns

Backup: Russell Morris (SR) - 16 catches for 272 yards and 2 touchdowns

Backup: Dan Smith (FR)

Backup: Gary Olander (RS / FR)

Tight End

Starter: J.P. Levy (SO) - 13 catches for 167 yards and 1 touchdown

Backup: Austin Tripplett (FR)

Backup: Jack Carty (RS / SR)

Offensive Tackle

Starter: Leo DeRogatis (RS / JR) - 3 sacks allowed in 10 games

Starter: Warren Herndon (RS / JR) - 7 sacks allowed in 7 games

Backup: Pete Meneffee (FR)

Backup: Tony Beach (RS / SO) - 4 sacks allowed in 4 games

Offensive Guard

Starter: Tommy Mitchell (SR) - 1 sack allowed in 12 games

Starter: Hugh Adamson (SO) - 5 sacks allowed in 11 games

Backup: Jerry Bonner (RS / SR)

Backup: David Mandley (RS / SO)

Center

Starter: Bob Tomich (JR) - 1 sack allowed in 12 games

Backup: Julius Potts (FR)

Defensive End

Starter: Dwayne Tucker (RS / SR) - 18 tackles , 4 sacks

Starter: Bert Hampton (RS / JR) - 13 tackles, 2 sacks

Backup: Ron Rutgens (JR) - 16 tackles, 5 sacks

Backup: Ken Hayes (RS / FR)

Defensive Tackles

Starter: Brock Byrd (SO) - 21 tackles , 5 sacks

Starter: Derrick Gilmore (FR)

Backup: Freddie Candidate (FR)

Backup: Fred Jeffries (RS / JR) - 2 tackles

Inside Linebacker

Starter: Scott Jackson (JR)

Backup: John Golsteyn (SR) - 68 tackles , 4 sacks

Backup: Lionel Thomason (RS / SO) - 59 tackles , 1 sack

Backup: Torrance Hart (RS / FR)

Outside Linebacker

Starter: Ryan Green (JR) - 28 tackles

Starter: Billy Ferguson (FR)

Backup: Kevin Wiley (RS / JR) - 50 tackles , 2 sacks

Backup: Mike Jensen (RS / JR)

Cornerback

Starter: Tom McCleod (SR) - 13 tackles

Starter: Rudi Alexander (SO) - 33 tackles , 2 interceptions

Backup: Jake Green (RS / SR) - 13 tackles

Backup: Pat Harris (FR)

Backup: Cliff Meier (RS / SO) - 9 tackles

Free Safety

Starter: Kassim Walker (SO) - 49 tackles , 1 sack , 1 interception

Backup: Bill Owens (FR) - converted corner

Strong Safety

Starter: Amani Stewart (JR) - 48 tackles , 1 interception

Backup: Ralph Martin (FR)

Kicker

Starter: Bruce Breedlove (SR) - 21 / 28 FG Made , long of 51 , 37 of 37 extra points

Punter

Starter: Larry Pickens (SO) - 38.5 average , 32 net , 18 punts inside 20

Punt Returner

Starter: Phil Gordon (JR) - 25 punt returns , 16.1 average , 3 touchdowns , 90 long

Kick Returner

Starter: Ty Martin (SO) - 42 kick returns , 28.6 average , 86 long

Starter: Russell Morris (SR) - 8 kick returns , 18.6 average , 28 long

Schedule

Week 1: Open

Week 2: @ Army

Week 3: Nevada

Week 4: Louisiana Monroe

Week 5: Open

Week 6: @ #8 UCLA

Week 8: #17 Washington

Week 9: @ #25 Washington State

Week 10: @ #14 Oregon State

Week 11: Arizona State

Week 12: @ #1 USC

Week 14: California

Well, like last year, our schedule is stacked, especially in conference. Five out of the eight conference games are against ranked teams. All of our non conference games are winable, so we need to take care of business when the oppurtunity is there. We're not picked to do much in conference, picked 10th, so hopefully we'll be able to sneak up on a couple of teams. Sooner or later, people are gonna start taking Stanford seriously. I would prefer sooner though. Just saying.

Week 2

Stanford: 31 (1-0) , Army: 14

This one was closer then the score lets on, well at least in the first half. We only had a three point lead going into the half, but then we buckled down and shut them out the entire second half. In the end, we just had to much depth for them. It's nice to be the team wearing down an opponent every now and then.

Sophmore Cory Ellis is back to lead us, and he did a alright job today. He didn't have huge numbers, only connecting on 15 of 26 passes for 198 yards. What I like though is he didn't turn the ball over. He needs to be a game manager. We've got a dynamic running game, so the more we have the ball, the better chance we have.

Vincent Lee is back and in full effect. The third team all Pac 10 selection last year picked up right where he left off, rushing for 187 yards on 39 carries and a career high three touchdown runs. That's pretty impressive when he almost had as much rushing yards as we had passing yards. Phil Justin was impressive in a backup role, rushing five times for 57 yards. This group was solid today.

Honestly, we only had two receivers really do anything of note today. Ray Woolfolk started the season off strong, catching six passes for 89 yards while redshirt freshman Gary Olander had a solid first game of his career, catching three passes 58 yards.

Our new middle linebacker, Scott Jackson, was an absolute beast in this one. 10 tackles, two sacks, a interception and a forced fumble is a pretty good couple of weeks, but that's what this dude had in week one. He was all over the place. Outside of Jackson though, there wasn't really much going on. Freshman Billy Ferguson had five tackles while Amani Stewart and Dwayne Tucker both had four. When the defense isn't on the field, that usually means we're gonna win. I like it.

Good first win for us. I know Army is nowhere near a elite school, but they always seem to play there butts off. We limited our mistakes and controlled the ball. If you do those two things, you're usually gonna win. Our new guys stepped up when we needed them too. That's always nice to see. Hopefully, we'll be able to keep up this pace.

Week 3

Stanford: 58 (2-0) , Nevada: 20

Would you believe that Nevada was winning after the first quarter, 17 to 14? Well, they were. We went at this one without our star running back, Vincent Lee, who has a elbow problem. Still though, it's nice to see we could be without our star and still put up 58 on a team that put up 48 on Louisiana Monroe, who we are playing next week.

Cory Ellis had easily his biggest game of his career today, completing 30 of 38 passes for 319 yards with four touchdowns. That's not a misprint, the guy had four touchdowns and zero interceptions. That's what I'm talking about. The sophmore is starting to play like I knew he was capable of.

Our running game really is hitting on all cylanders right now. Senior Phil Justin was big today, rushing for 129 yards on 34 carries with two touchdowns. That's nice to see that we have a capable backup when Lee goes down. Ellis was also big running the ball, carrying three times for 53 yards. I like where our running game is headed.

Ray Woolfolk really stepped up today, catching seven passes for 116 yards and two touchdowns. He's making an early case for all Pac 10 honors. Ty Martin showed up today, catching six passes for 76 yards. Freshman tightend Austin Tripplett caught his first touchdown pass, finishing with four catches for 36 yards while fullback Glen Sanderson caught one pass, a 13 yard touchdown. Our receivers were huge for us, no doubt.

I'm really liking the way that our middle linebacker, Scott Jackson has been playing. Today, he had nine tackles and an interception. This dude is turning into the playmaker that the defense was missing last year. Freshman safety Ralph Martin saw his first action of his young career, recording six tackles while fellow safety Kassim Walker had five tackles. Dwayne Tucker had a good game, finishing with two tackles, one sack, a run stuff and a hurry. Corner Cliff Meier had his first pick of the year in this one.

It's nice to take care of business against the teams that we're suppose to. We've got Louisiana Monroe next week, so we've got a real good chance to go three and zero heading into conference play. Hopefully, the guys aren't looking past Louisiana Monroe though. Games like that make me nervous.

--- Recruit Visiting Campus ---

Ken Cushing, a four star quarterback, came to see us dismantle Nevada. Cushing is rated as the 12 best quarterback in the nation while being the 13th best recruit coming out of the West. We need a reliable backup to Ellis next year, so maybe we found one in Cushing.

Week 4

Stanford: 48 (3-0) , Louisiana Monroe: 10

This one was never in doubt. We controlled the tempo from beginning to end. We had almost 500 total yards to there 189. We controlled the ball for almost 38 minutes. We got into a rythem early on and wouldn't let up. These are the type of wins that everyone enjoys.

Cory Ellis didn't have the biggest game ever, but it was good enough to where he wasn't a hinder on us. Ellis completed 20 of 35 passes for 183 yards with a touchdown and a pick, with happened at the end of the half, so I can live with that. Ellis managed the game well, kept the chains moving, and kept his composure. That's all I ask of the young man. He did well.

Phil Justin is busting out right now in place of Lee. Today, the senior halfback rushed 39 times for 282 yards and three touchdowns. Those are crazy good numbers. We also got a rushing touchdown from someone that rarely ever gets a rushing attempt, wideout Ray Woolfok. Woolfolk took a endaround six yards for his first rushing touchdown of his career.

Woolfolk wasn't done though, catching six passes for 71 yards. Two players had four catches a piece, Ty Martin and tightend J.P. Levy. Martin's went for 47 yards and Levy's went for 31, but Levy had the lone receiving touchdown.

As I've come accustomed here now, Scott Jackson lead us in everyway on defense, getting seven tackles, two sacks, three run stuffs and a forced fumble. I'm in awe everytime I see him play. The guy is amazing. Strong safety Amani Stewart was big for us today as well, recording eight tackles. Dwayne Tucker finished with two sacks while freshman defensive tackle Freddie Canidate and freshman free safety Bill Owens recorded their first career sacks. Owens also forced a fumble. Tom McLeod and Rudi Alexander both had interceptions.

So, we took care of business heading into conference play. That's all I could ask from the guys. We're playing at a really high level right now, so hopefully we can have some success going forward. It's gonna be a brutal stretch for sure, but I've got faith in the guys and what they can do. Hopefully they feel the same way about me.

Five star quarterback Michael Thornton was in town to see us play Louisiana Monroe. Thornton is the sixth best quarterback in the nation and the 4th overall in the West. Hopefully our showing will sway him towards us, that is if he's got the grades.

Week 6

#24 Stanford: 23 (4-0 , 1-0 Conf.) , #16 UCLA: 20

Yeah buddy! This is a real, real good win for us. Not only did we beat a top 25 team, but we beat a top 25 team at their place. Not to mention, we snuck into the top 25 for the first time in my short tenure here. Morale is great right now. The guys are lose and keeping things simple. We're just playing football. I couldn't be happier right now.

Cory Ellis was solid for us today, completing 18 of 38 passes for 248 yards with a touchdown and a interception. I'm not fond of the interception, but at least he made up for the mistake by throwing a score. Ellis had to go out for a play, and when he did, little used quarterback Chad Massey threw his first pass of his career, a 10 yard touchdown pass. Our quarterback play has been good lately. We need that to continue.

Vincent Lee returned to the lineup after a couple of weeks off, and had just a so so game for his standards. Lee finished with 78 yards on 26 carries. We never really broke one lose. UCLA constantly put eight men in the box and was daring us to throw the ball. We did, and we won!

Senior wideout Ray Woolfolk continued his torid pace, catching seven balls for 137 yards and a touchdown. Freshman Dan Smith made his biggest contribution of the season, catching five passes for 57 yards. Redshirt freshman receiver Gary Olander caught only one pass, the ten yard touchdown pass fom Massey.

On defense, Scott Jackson was big once again, recording 10 tackles and intercepting his third pass of the season. Not bad for a middle linebacker, huh? Freshman safety Ralph Martin made an impact, getting six tackles and forcing a fumble. End Dwayne Tucker had five tackles and two sacks while defensive tackle Brock Byrd had four tackles and two sacks. Also recording a sack in this one was Freddie Canidate and Ron Rutgens.

This was a big, big win for us. It's the way that we wanted to get started in conference play. We've got Arizona coming in next week, who just so happens to be ranked in the top 25, coming in at number 20. Still though, it's at our house, so I'm fully expecting us to take care of business. Should be fun.

Week 7

#16 Stanford (5-0 , 2-0 Conf.): 28 , #20 Arizona: 18

This was a good game, back and forth. The yards were about the same, time of possesion about the same, hell even the penalties were about the same. We were more consistant though. They kicked fields, we scored touchdowns. It's that easy. This was a good win all around for us.

Cory Ellis was a big reason why we won this one, completing 16 of 28 passes for 296 yards with three touchdowns and a pick. Ellis managed the game well. He had the one turnover, but when you throw three touchdowns, I can live with that.

Vincent Lee was back to form, rushing for 114 yards on 27 carries and a touchdown. He was also key in the receiving game, catching two passes for 54 yards. It's nice to see the young man get back on track. To bad he missed two weeks. He would probably be somewhere around 700 yards by now.

Outside of Lee, we only had three players with catches today. Russell Morris caught five passes for 101 yards and two big touchdown catches. Gary Olander equalled Morris' five catches, but they went for 88 yards and one touchdown catch. Ray Woolfolk had a off day, only catching four catches for 53 yards. It's nice to see different players step up from time to time.

For the first time this year, we have a new leader on defense. Amani Stewart paced us today with 10 tackles and a forced fumble. Scott Jackson wasn't far behind though, getting nine tackles. Both Bill Owens and Rudi Alexander finished with five tackles, while Alexander also had a interception. Our defensive line was huge today. Dwayne Tucker, Brock Byrd and Derrick Gilmore all had a sack in this one.

Two ranked opponents, two wins. That's what I like to see. You would think though that we would get a break soon, but it's only gonna get tougher. #2 Washington is coming to town next week, so we don't have any time to waste. We need to get to work and see if we can stay perfect.

Running back Tommie DeMulling, a five star running back, came to see us play Arizona today. Tommie is a big time talent, ranked 13th in the nation, 6th ranked running back and 2nd ranked prospect in the West region. It's always nice to see big name recruits come in. I just hope that some of these guys have the grades we need them to have.

Week 8

#12 Stanford (6-0 , 3-0 Conf.): 31 , #2 Washington: 15

Wow, we just keep rolling right along. Washington is one of the elite programs in the nation, and we just trounced them. Sure, it was at home, but still, this one wasn't as close as the score indicates. If it weren't for a touchdown by Washington with under a minute left, we would have beat them by 20.

Sophmore Cory Ellis really stuggled today with not turning the ball over, throwing three interceptions. Sure, the young man went 21 of 33 for 283 yards and a touchdown. The three picks though are really concerning to me. We won today, which is good, but if we don't get the contributions that we get from some of our other players, then we are in some serious trouble.

It's pretty safe to say that halfback Vincent Lee is back to full strength. Against the #2 team in the nation, he rushed for 105 yards and three touchdowns on 24 carries. He contributed in catching the ball as well, hauling in four passes for 40 yards. He's playing big for us when we need him to.

We had a trio of receivers step up big for us today. Ray Woolfolk paced us with six catches for 104 yards and a touchdown while Gary Olander caught five balls for 82 yard. Ty Martin chipped in with three catches for 36 yards. Martin could have had an even bigger day, but he had two costly drops. Still, I like where our young wideouts are headed.

We had quite a few players step up for us on defense, but there was none bigger then our star defensive end, Dwayne Tucker. Tucker finished the day with six tackles and three sacks. Fellow end, Bert Hampton, chipped in with two tackles and two sacks. Scott Jackson lead the team with seven tackles and two run stuffs. Safety Kassim Walker had six tackles, a interception and a forced fumble.

Our defense played huge for us today. They really came through and held the jauggernaut Washington offense in check pretty much the whole day. Our offense did enough to get us by. We need to eliminate the unneccesary turnovers, which I think we'll do. We're starting to believe that we can win consistantly. The sky is the limit for us.

I said during week 2 that we need a backup to Ellis, so what do I keep doing? I keep bringing in quarterbacks that can play, and five star Jack Driver is no exception. Driver is the 42nd ranked player in the nation, 10th best QB in the nation and 8th best in the West region. Like I said, we need some of these guys we're bringing in to have some decent grades. I can't just bring in anyone.

Week 9

#3 Stanford (7-0 , 4-0 Conf.): 31 , #23 Washington State: 16

I'm starting to get a feeling like something special is gonna happen here at Stanford. We went into Washington State and really put a whopping on them. We were able to put up touchdowns and hold them to field goals. Usually when you do that, you win. That was the case today.

I'm not really happy with our quarterback play as of late. Today was no different. Cory Ellis is making to many mistakes. Sure, he completed 14 of 28 for 224 yards, but he threw yet again another interception. Thankfully, that didn't cost us today, but sooner or later, it'll start to catch up with us.

Vincent Lee continues to be the man for us, rushing the ball 38 times for 178 yards and a career high four touchdown runs. After a fast start and then a couple of weeks being injured, Lee has found his groove as of late. He's a touchdown machine as of late, which is good for us considering all the picks we've been throwing.

We basically had two receivers play today. Well, we had two receivers with more then one catch that is. Russell Morris caught only four passes, but he did the most with his chances, gaining 131 yards. Ray Woolfolk actually lead us with six catches, but they only went for a measly 78 yards. Our receivers really weren't there for us today, well besides Morris and Woolfolk.

On defense, a pair of freshman, Ralph Martin and Billy Fersguson, lead us with six tackles each. Kassim Walker had a good day, finishing with five tackles and a interception. Scott Jackson really didn't play up to his standards, recording four tackles but he did have a sack. Corner Rudi Alexander had a pick. Brock Byrd had two sacks while linebackers John Golsteyn and Ryan Green both had a sack as well.

Big, big win for us today. We've won four straight against top 25 competition, making this run we've been on even more impressive. We've got a struggling Oregon State next week, so hopefully we'll be able to to take care of business and continue our unbeaten ways.

Week 10

#2 Stanford (8-0 , 5-0 Conf.):41 , Oregon State: 23

This one was pretty much over by halftime, with us winning 31 to 0 at halftime. Looking at the stats, it should have been a much closer game, but we were able to bend when needed, not break. Solid win for us.

Cory Ellis certainly got out of my doghouse with his lay today, completing 14 of 19 for 241 yards and four touchdown passes. What I like even more is he had zero picks. That was huge for us. He played what could be his best game of the season for us today, no doubt about it.

Vincent Lee was big time for us today, rushing for 208 yards on 34 carries and one touchdown. He also had a impact in the receiving game, catching two passes for a meaningful four yards. How were they meaningful? Both catches resulted in touchdowns.

Ray Woolfolk was the man today, catching all five passes thrown his way for 139 yards. Freshman Dan Smith was big today, catching four passes for 38 yards and two touchdown catches. Really, there weren't very much more going on in the receiving game.

Freshman safety Ralph Martin lead us today with nine tackles and a interception. Little used inside linebacker Torrance Hart had eight tackles. Why was he in there? Scott Jackson went down with a shoulder injury. Before he went out though, Jackson recorded seven tackles. Billy Ferguson, Dwayne Tucker and Ron Rutgens all had a sack while both Kassim Walker and Tom McLeod both had interceptions. Our defense really played well today.

Today was a good win for us. Next week, we get an always dangerous Arizona State coming to campus. Should be a good encounter. If we play the way we've been playing, I see no reason why we shouldn't handle the Sun Devils. If we let up though, it could be a long, long day.

Week 11

#2 Stanford (9-0 , 6-0 Conf.): 40 , Arizona State: 21

This one was a no doubter. We had this game won in every aspect. We controlled the ball for almost 37 minutes. We had 32 first downs to there 13. We racked up 480 total yards, they had 269. We played a near flawless game.

It was near flawless, with the one flaw coming from sophmore quarterback Cory Ellis. Ellis completed 12 of 20 passes for 135 yards with two touchdowns and a interception. I was hoping that Ellis would have eliminated those silly mistakes, but the turnover monster had to rear its ugly head. He also made an impact rushing the ball, gaining 17 yards on two carries and a touchdown. A three touchdown day is pretty good, I just wish he didn't turn the ball over. We were ahead by so much, we got our backup quarterback, Michael Brooks some playing time. He was productive, completing 10 of 14 for 72 yards. It's nice to get our backup a little work whenever we can.

Vincent Lee took over this one, rushing for 220 yards on 39 attempts and two touchdowns. He also had a good game receiving, actually leading us with six catches for 61 yards and a score. Todays performance put the junior back over the 1,000 yard mark for the third time in his career. I just hope he doesn't have any NFL dreams until next year. If he takes off, we're gonna be in some serious trouble.

Ray Woolfolk had a good game catching the ball, hauling in five passes for 80 yards and a touchdown. Freshman Dan Smith caught four passes for 32 yards while Ty Martin caught five balls, but they only went for 16 yards. I've never seen such a high number of catches for such few yards. Oh well, it's nice to have a reliable outlet.

On defense, we really didn't pressure the quarterback and didn't force any turnovers. What we did do though is keep the ball in front of us and make the sure tackle. Scott Jackson did that quite well, recording seven tackles. Ralph Martin made a contribution with five tackles while corner Pat Harris had a career high four tackles. Outside of those players, we had a handful of players with three and two tackles. A total team effort indeed.

So, now the honeymoon is over. We've got to take on a hostile USC team next week, a game I'm sure they're gonna be up for since we beat them last year at our house. If we're not ready, this one can get ugly. Without a doubt, USC has a more talented roster, so we've got to be up and ready for them. Big week coming up for us.

Keyshawn Hanner is a five star running back that was in town today. Hanner is the 16th ranked prospect in the nation, 7th best running back and 3rd overall prospect in the West region. We need a backup plan incase Lee bolts for the big leagues. Maybe Hanner is that man.

Week 12

#9 USC: 52 , #2 Stanford (9-1 , 6-1 Conf.): 22

Well, welcome to reality. We got blasted pretty bad here. USC has got the big talent guys, we've got the hard workers. They've got the playmakers, we've got the motor guys. That's OK. It was a big time learning experience. We know now what we need to do to play with the big boys.

Cory Ellis actually played pretty well today, completing 18 of 29 passes for 247 yards. What I like is he didn't throw a pick. He didn't throw a touchdown pass, but he didn't throw a pick. I absolutely love that. Joey Pope, a backup quarterback, came in and threw his first passes of the year, going two of five for 57 yards and a touchdown. I'm pretty happy overall with the quarterback play today.

Vincent Lee had a good game running the ball, gaining 117 yards on 28 carries. He also had three catches for 13 yards. Lee has proven that he can produce against the best competition in the nation. Hopefully he'll get properly recognized when it's time.

Ray Woolfolk had a huge day catching the ball, making seven receptions for 150 yards. Freshman tight end Austin Tripplett had two catches for 57 yards and the lone touchdown catch. Fellow freshman Dan Smith caught four passes for 43 yards.

Amani Stewart played well today, recording 11 tackles. Lional Thomason had nine tackles and a sack while Billy Ferguson had seven tackles. Freshman safety Bill Owens recorded six tackles and a interception. Defensive end Bert Hampton had a sack while Tom McLeod forced a fumble. it was a good game stat wise for our defense.

Well, our perfect season is now officially down the drain. We ran into a USC team that had a nice agenda, beat us down. Still though, I'm happy that our guys played the way they did. We put everything we had in this game, but USC just has way to much talent. We didn't turn the ball over, so we're not beating ourselves. I like where we're headed right now.

Award Watch

Coach of the Year: Me!

Defensive Player of the Year: Dwayne Tucker

Best Kicker: Bruce Breedlove

Best Defensive Lineman: Dwayne Tucker

Best Wide Receiver: Ray Woolfolk

Best Running Back: Vincent Lee

We've got quite a bit of people up for an awad this year. That just reflects the type of season that the team has had this year. It sucks that all those guys, with the exception of Lee, are seniors and will be leaving the team this year. Hopefully, we'll get a couple of these guys recognized.

Week 14

#4 Stanford (10-1 , 7-1 Conf.): 31 , California: 24

Good win for us against a underachieving Cal team. Looking at the stats, we should have lost this one, but our defense was able to step up and make plays when we needed them to. Cal is definately a talented team. They've suffered some injuries this year, which is unfortunate, but there loss is our gain.

Cory Ellis was played fairly well today, completing 12 of 30 passes for 244 yards with two touchdowns and a interception. He threw and interception, which I'm starting to become accustomed to, but at least he threw a couple of touchdown passes today. Hopefully, he'll be able to harness this kind of play into a bowl win for us.

Vincent Lee had a nice regular season finale performance today, rushing for 144 yards on 26 carries and a touchdown. He also lead us in receptions, catching five passes for 73 yards. Lee is definately a difference maker. We're so fortunate to have the kid on our squad.

Ty Martin had a good game, catching three passes for 71 yards and a touchdown. Wideout Ray Woolfolk had a pedestrian two catches for 44 yards. Backup fullback Derek Long only had one catch, but it went for 34 yards and a score. This wasn't the way I thought our receivers would play, but they did enough to get the job done.

Freshman linebacker Billy Ferguson had easily his best game of his career, recording 12 tackles and a sack. Not to be outdone, Scott Jackson finished the day with 11 tackles and two interceptions. A pair of strong safeties, Amani Stewart and Ralph Martin, both finished the game with seven tackles. Brock Byrd, Dwayne Tucker and Ron Rutgens each finished with a sack while Tucker also forced a fumble.

This was a great way to finish the regular season. We more then exceeded any expectations that any of the experts around the nation had for us. We tied with USC for the best conference record, but we lost on the tie breaker considering they stomped us. Still though, I couldn't have been happier with the way this season played out. We're assured of a big time bowl game, so we'll see how we fare there.

Four star strong safety James Case came to Palo Alto to take in the game against Cal. Case, the 59th ranked player in the nation, had 69 tackles, 14 pass deflections and five interceptions for the year. Case is a serious talent, ranked as the 5th best strong safety and 12 ranked player in the West. If he's got the grades, we're gonna surely go after the young man.

Award Winners

Well, I don't mean to brag, but guess who walked away with coach of the year? Yeah, that's right, I did! This is really a team award. If the team doesn't do well, I'm not gonna get recognized. Still though, it's an honor to get into this prestigous group.

We also had another major award winner. Vincent Lee walked away with running back of the year. Lee had a phenominal year considering he missed two weeks with injury. Still though, without his offensive line, Lee wouldn't have gotten the success that he's experienced. I'm happy for the young man.

On the coference front, Dwayne Tucker was awarded the defensive player of the year award. That is awesome considering that Tucker wasn't mentioned for any kind of awards last year. He's a senior, so he'll definately be missed next year.

2nd Team All American

(DE) Dwayne Tucker - 29 tackles , 11 sacks , 8 run stuffs

3rd Team All American

(RB) Vincent Lee - 1,361 yards , 4.81 ypc , 18 touchdowns

First Team All Pac 10

(FB) Glen Sanderson - 91 yards , 3.79 ypc , 1 touchdown

(WR) Ray Woolfolk - 61 catches , 1,054 yards , 6 touchdowns

© Bob Tomich - 17 run blocks , 15 pancakes , 0 sacks allowed

(DE) Dwayne Tucker

Second Team All Pac 10

(RB) Vincent Lee

Third Team All Pac 10

(OG) Tommy Mitchell - 15 run blocks , 10 pancakes , 0 sacks allowed

(K) Bruce Breedlove - 23 of 26 FG , 43 for 43 XP , 47 long

(ILB) Scott Jackson - 84 tackles , 5 sacks , 10 run stuffs , 5 INT

(CB) Rudi Alexander - 34 tackles , 11 pass deflections , 3 INT

Now, that's a whole lot of players being recognized. Like I've been saying, when we have team success, the individual awards will follow. I'm happyfor all these guys. Quite a few of them will need to be replaced next year, so it should be fun to see who will step up and fill the void left by some of these great players.

Bowl Bound

Yep, for the second year in a row, we're headed to a bowl, although this matchup is a little wierd to me. We'll be taking on none other then the champion of the .......... Pac 10? Yep, we've been selected to play in the Rose bowl against USC. I'm not saying I'm not down for it, but it's just wierd to me that a Big 10 school isn't in this one. Just so you know, the only Big 10 team in a BCS bowl is Wisconsin, which is playing in the Fiesta Bowl, which is NOT the national title game this year. Still though, I know I want revenge on USC for ruining our perfect season. Hopefully the guys do as well.

Rose Bowl

#9 USC: 44 , #4 Stanford (10-2 , 7-1 Conf.): 26

What can I say? USC has got our number. Our starting QB got knocked out of this one early, and we just didn't have the talent to make up for that. Sure I'm sad that we ended the season with this kind of game, but to even be here was a great achievement. Our guys played great all year long and fought til the end.

Like I said before, Cory Ellis was knocked out of this one early. Before he left, he completed 5 of 10 passes for 23 yards with a touchdown and a interception. When he went out, Michael Brooks came in and tried his hardest, but he doesn't have the talent to beat the USC secondary. Brooks finished the day by going 7 of 23 for 139 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. Both young men will be back next year, so this experience should only help them.

If this was the last game that running back Vincent Lee has, then I'm sure glad he went out like that. The 3rd team all american player rushed for 199 yards on 27 carries and two scores. He's been our rock all year long. Hopefully, he'll come back next year and try and do it all over again.

Our receivers were really held in check today. Ray Woolfolk caught six passes for 52 yards. Lee contributed with two catches for 49 yards while tight end J.P. Levy also caught two passes for 46 yards and the long touchdown catch. It would have been nice to see a few more guys step up, but it just wasn't to be.

Scott Jackson did everything in his power to try and win us this game. The junior inside linebacker finished the day with 12 tackles and one interception. Safety Amani Stewart had a good game, recording nine tackles while both Ralph Martin and Kevin Wiley chipped in with eight tackles. The real problem though with our defense was we couldn't get to the quarterback. We only had one hurry all day (from Brock Byrd) and didn't sniff a sack all day. When a quarterback has all day to throw the ball, more often then not, your secondary is gonna get burned.

Well, you can look at this season in two ways. One, we lost two out of our last three games. Two, we won a school record 10 games. I prefer to look at the good points. This season can only do good things for us when it comes time to recruit players. The more players we have interested in us, the better chance we have of landing some of these guys. Remember, we can't go after just anyone.

Final Year Ranking: 9 Media / 6 Coach

Offseason

With our recent loss, I'm eager to get to work. Before I do anything though, I checked my e-mails and had a couple of interesting one in there.

First off, I got a notice that Vincent Lee was thinking about going into the draft. That's really not a big suprise to me. Lee has been a monster rushing the ball the last couple of years, capable of coming out last year. Still, I'm praying we can get him to come back to Stanford and go after a Pac 10 title.

I also had quite a few schools inquire about my services for coaching there football teams. Schools like San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Ball State and Akron offered me, knowing that I would have more prestigeous schools after me. I thanked them for the interest but gracefully declined.

I did have some interesting offers though come my way. Clemson, Louisville, Minnesota and Mississippi State all peaked my interest, but one school really, really stuck out to me. Being an Indiana boy, there is only one king in the Hoosier state for football and that happens to be Notre Dame. Notre Dame is a school much like us, having sanctions on what kind of players they're allowed after and are always a National title contender. I'm commited to Stanford though, so I decline the offer and go to my office to shed a tear.

After only one season, our defensive coordinator has decided that he wanted to opt out of his contract and seek other employment. That really sucks. He really turned our program around defensively last year. Oh well, there are other fish in the sea.

We get to searching for a new DC, but to my dismay, I really don't see one that I like. I think to myself, why not just offer Tommy Pagleie more money? That's exactly what I did, and guess what? He excepted. It's nice to have someone that I trust run our defense. I know he'll get the job done.

Transfers

We've got a couple of players thinking about taking there services elsewhere. Redshirt freshman Stump Gilbert and Walt Nelson weren't real happy that we decided to sit them last year, obviously. We've decided to hold onto our scholarships and just go after the freshman and junior college players, like usual.

In the end though, both players decided to sit another year and transfer out. Stump Gilbert is taking his skills to Utah while Walt Nelson is headed to SEC school, Arkansas. I wish both players well and look to the future.

Recruiting

We're definately gonna have to address a few things during recruiting. I want to bring in at least one quarterback. We need at least one running back, two if Lee decides to go. Offensive guard is a big concern as well as defensive tackle. We could use an upgrade at corner and have only one kicked on campus, who just so happens to be a walk-on. We've definately got some holes to fill. I'm excited to see what happens.

During the recruiting period, we got some horrible news. I got this sent to me in a e-mail:

Coach, I just wanted to be the first to tell you that I have decided to go pro. My family and I talked with some people affiliated with the pros and they assured me that I would be a high pick in the upcoming draft. I really want to thank you for all your help and patience with me as a player. Your efforts have helped me land in this position and I will never forget that.

Good luck in the upcoming season and I will be pulling for you guys.

Sincerely,

Vincent Lee

Well, doesn't that just suck. That's gonna screw up everything. I said we needed one running back when the recruiting process started. Scratch that. We now need two. Only college football could you have such a high like the season we just had to a low like today. Sad day for Stanford.

National Signing Day

This has got to be the best class that I've ever assembled here at Stanford. I knew that our strong season would provide a good class, but I don't think I could have had a better group of kids sign. We missed on a couple of high profile guys, but as everyone knows, you don't always get the guys you want. Still though, I couldn't be more excited for the newest Cardinals. Here's who signed:

QB Jack Driver, 5-stars

Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks, CA)

National Rank: 42, Regional: 8, Position: 10

Jack is easily the highest rated profile player to ever come to Stanford. He's just what we need. He's a strong armed that has insticts that very few possess. He should come in and challenge Ellis for the starting QB spot. I like our options at the QB spot now.

SS Kevin Carter, 4-stars

Westminster (Westminster, CA)

National Rank: 195, Regional: 28, Position: 13

Every year I've been at Stanford, I've been able to bring in a strong safety. Out of all of those, I think Kevin Carter is probably the best that I've ever had. Carter is the real deal. He's able to cover receivers and blitz the quarterback with the same skill set. Somehow, some way, we've got to find a way to get Carter on the field.

QB Otis Smith, 4-stars

Windsor (Windsor, CA)

National Rank: 212, Regional: 33, Position: 23

Otis is someone that I'm actually really excited about. When recruiting first started, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go after him, but the more I learned about him, the more I like what he brought to the table. He's a freak of an athlete that I think could play more then the quarterback position. Happy to have the youngster here.

ILB Anthony Zelenka, 4-stars

Santa Barbara City (CA), Yucca Valley, CA, HS - CA

National Rank: 303, Regional: 52, Position: 17

Anthony is a linebacker that has as much speed as any linebacker that we've ever had here at Stanford. He's got the athletic ability to cover just about any tight end in the nation. We're stacked at inside linebacker though, so a move to outside backer maybe in order. We're gonna find a way to get Zelenka on the field.

CB Hewritt Tucker, 4-stars

Century (Hillsboro, OR)

National Rank: 280, Regional: 48, Position: 32

Hewritt will never be the fastest or strongest cornerback in the world, but his athletic ability and natural insticts will keep him from getting in serious trouble. For a corner, Tucker is one of the better tacklers that you'll find. If nothing else, Tucker will provide the depth at corner that we'll need in the Pac 10.

RB Lovett Fuamatu-Ma'afal, 4-stars

Colton (Colton, CA)

National Rank: 205, Regional: 32, Position: 25

Not only does Lovett have a crazy name, but he has crazy skills as well. What really lead me to this guy was his speed. I've never seen a guy run a 4.27 forty. He's got a chance to come in next year and really make an impact here. That's gonna suck for me considering his name is crazy long.

WR Rock Stickles, 4-stars

Timberline (Lacey, WA)

National Rank: 285, Regional: 50, Position: 35

Rock is someone that will probably be redshirted next year, but definately has the skills to play in the Pac 10. Rock isn't the prototypical receiver that I usually go after, but I just couldn't overlook his production in high school, catching 59 passes for 918 yards and 14 touchdowns. I'm happy to have Rock on campus. Hopefully he won't mind being redshirted.

ILB Keith Ladd, 4-stars

Glendale CC (AZ), Thousand Oaks, CA, HS - CA

National Rank: 229, Regional: 37, Position: 12

Ladd is a junior college player that may get shifted to outside linebacker. He's a big, fast linebacker that has the ability to go sideline to sideline. His athletic ability is second to none, meaning when all is said and done, he should be one of the most productive linebackers ever at Stanford. I really like this one.

DT Doug Rosenbach, 4-stars

Prairie (Cottonwood, ID)

National Rank: 220, Regional: 36, Position: 15

Doug is a big guy that takes up space when rushing the quarterback. He's got a mean streak and motor that makes him one of the more impressive defensive tackles coming into the college ranks. His tackling ability is second to none. Doug should come in and push Gilmore and Byrd right away for playing time.

OG Lamanzer Riley, 3-stars

McCluer South-Berkeley (St. Louis, MO)

National Rank: 544, Regional: 109, Position: 30

To say Lamanzer is one of the better run blocking guards is like saying a banana is yellow. It's that simple. Riley is a beast with a mean streak that very few lineman possess. His weight room work is something that he thrives on. With time, Riley has a chance to be one of the best lineman that Stanford has ever seen.

DE Ed Hooker, 3-stars

Jesuit (Sacramento, CA)

National Rank: 586, Regional: 101, Position: 28

Ed is a pass rush specialist that is still working on his run defense. He's got great speed and agility for someone that stands 6'7 and weighs a feather away from 270. He's working on his agressiveness, but that probably won't ever be a big part of his game. I don't think Ed will ever be a star player, but I think he'll fit in and be a good role player.

C Kendal Roland, 3-stars

Mojave (Mojave, CA)

National Rank: 553, Regional: 97, Position: 16

Kendal is a passing blocking specialist. Not really sure how I feel about that since I like to run the ball. Still though, we've got a couple of players ahead of him on the depth chart, so a redshirt year might be in order. He's a big strong guy that has quick hands and feet, a dangerous combination. In the end, I think he'll be alright.

RB Terrence Lewis, 3-stars

Damien (La Verne, CA)

National Rank: 405, Regional: 68, Position: 38

Lewis is a shifty back that likes to use his agility to make defenders look silly. He's one of the better receiving threats coming into the college ranks, so that just makes him even more dangerous. Lewis probalby won't ever be our everyday back, but he should turn out to be someone that can provide five to ten carries a game.

K Bill Alt, 3-stars

Chemawa (Salem, OR)

National Rank: 659, Regional: 117, Position: 6

Bill is easily an upgrade over what we had before. He'll come in right away and fill a need that we have. He's got the constancy that not many kickers his age has. We're very lucky to have such a highly skilled young man come to Stanford.

OG Clyde Lloyd, 3-stars

Wasilla (Wasilla, AK)

National Rank: 692, Regional: 125, Position: 43

Clyde is a big strong alaskan that has the oppurtunity to be really good when all is said and done. Because of our depth at guard, he's got a real shot at contributing right away, which I'm sure he likes. Right now, he's relatively raw, but with time, we feel like he could be the real deal. Happy to have Clyde at Stanford.

This was definately a good class to get. We got some big time players that I think will make an impact right away. Our main get, Driver, should see playing time next year. I think the two linebackers that we brought in. Our offensive line is much improved now. Overall, I would be suprised if this class wasn't ranked somewhere inside the top 15.

Final Class Ranking: #10!

Training

As usual, the assistants will take care of this.

Depth Chart

Quarterback

Starter: Jack Driver (FR)

Backup: Mark Ellis (JR) - 195 / 334 , 58.4% , 19 touchdowns , 9 INT

Backup: Michael Brooks (JR) - 17 / 37 , 45.9% , 0 touchdown , 0 INT

Halfback

Starter: Larry Carson (SO) - 2 attempts , 18 yards

Backup: Lovette Fuamata-Ma'afal (FR)

Backup: Terrence Lewis (FR)

Fullback

Starter: Matt Livingston (FR)

Backup: Derek Long (SR)

Wide Receiver

Starter: Ty Martin (JR) - 26 catches , 292 yards , one touchdowns

Starter: Dan Smith (SO) - 21 catches , 197 yards , two touchdowns

Starter: Gary Olander (RS / SO) - 15 catches , 258 yards , two touchdowns

Backup: Rock Stickles (FR)

Backup: Billy Wrighster (RS / FR)

Tight End

Starter: J.P. Levy (JR) - 12 catches , 157 yards , two touchdowns

Backup: Austin Tripplett (SO) - 11 catches , 142 yards , two touchdowns

Backup: Jerton Jones (RS / JR) - 3 catches , 15 yards

Offensive Tackle

Starter: Leo DeRogatis (SR) - two sacks allowed in nine games

Starter: Pete Menefee (SO) - five sacks allowed in 11 games

Backup: Warren Herndon (RS / SR) - two sacks allowed in eight games

Backup: Tony Beach (RS / JR) - two sacks allowed in three games

Offensive Guard

Starter: Hugh Adamson (JR) - zero sacks allowed in 12 games

Starter: Clyde Lloyd (FR)

Backup: Lamanzar Riley (FR)

Backup: David Mandley (JR)

Center

Starter: Bob Tomich (SR) - zero sacks allowed in 11 games

Backup: Kendal Rowland (FR)

Backup: Julius Potts (SO) - two sacks allowed in six games

Defensive End

Starter: Bert Hampton (RS / SR) - six tackles, three sacks

Starter: Derrick Gilmore (SO) - three tackles , one sack , converted defensive tackle

Backup: Ron Rutgens (SR) - eight tackles , three sacks

Backup: Ken Hayes (RS / SO)

Defensive Tackle

Starter: Brock Byrd (JR) - 19 tackles , six sacks

Backup: Freddie Canidate (SO) - four tackles , two sacks

Backup: Doug Rosenbach (FR)

Inside Linebacker

Starter: Scott Jackson (SR) - 96 tackles , five sacks , six INT

Starter: Anthony Zelenka (JR)

Backup: Lionel Thomason (RS / JR) - 21 tackles , one sack

Backup: Torrance Hart (RS / SO) - eight tackles

Outside Linebacker

Starter: Billy Ferguson (SO) - 55 tackles , two sacks

Starter: Larry Feely (RS / FR)

Backup: Kevin Wiley (RS / SR) - 35 tackles

Backup: Ryan Green (SR) - nine tackles , one sack

Cornerback

Starter: Rudi Alexander (JR) - 38 tackles , three INT

Starter: Hewritt Tucker (FR)

Backup: Pat Harris (SO) - 17 tackles

Backup: Lamar Neumann (RS / FR)

Free Safety

Starter: Kassim Walker (JR) - 36 tackles , three INT

Backup: Bill Owens (SO) - 28 tackles , one sack , one INT

Strong Safety

Starter: Amani Stewart (SR) - 68 tackles

Backup: Ralph Martin (SO) - 58 tackles , one INT

Backup: Kevin Carter (FR)

Kicker

Starter: Bill Alt (FR)

Punter

Starter: Larry Pickens (JR) - 40.5 average , 34.1 net , six inside 20

Kick Returner

Starter: Ty Martin (JR) -1119 yards , 26.8 average

Starter: Ricky Fiss (RS / SR)

Backup: Dan Smith (SO)

Punt Returner

Starter: Phil Gordon (SR) - 23 returns , 275 yards , 12 average

Backup: Pat Harris (SO)

Schedule

Week 1: Open

Week 2: BYU

Week 3: South Carolina

Week 4: Troy

Week 5: #20 UCLA

Week 6: @ #22 Washington State

Week 8: Washington

Week 9: @ #15 Oregon State

Week 10: @ #3 USC

Week 11: #23 Arizona State

Week 12: @ Oregon

Week 14: Open

This is another tough year. BYU and South Carolina are always tough games. What I'm scared about is we play a lot of tough games on the road. Three of the four road games in coference are against ranked teams. That's really not any different from any other year, but with a freshman quarterback, it should certainly be interesting.

Congratulations on your great season with the Cardinal. If your incoming recruits are as good as advertised, it looks like you'll have another season or two with double-figure victory totals. I appreciate the integrity you showed in not taking that Notre Dame offer. I'm not sure I'd have done it, but I have a feeling you'll end up being glad you're staying in Palo Alto.

Lovette Fuamata-Ma'afai is one of the great names of all time. I'd call him LFM, but the full thing is kinda fun to type.

I'll be following along--keep up the good work!

Thanks guys. I'm suprised how quickly I've been able to turn around Stanford, especially with the restrictions I've put myself on.

Big Six, I've gone ahead and taken your advice with using LMF. Lovett's whole name is just too much for me to handle.

Week 2

Stanford (1-0): 54 , BYU: 7

Good first win against a dangerous BYU team that was picked to finish in the top three of the Mountain West. I certainly learned a couple of things from this one. First, I think our freshman quarterback is the real deal. Number two, I think this is probably our best set of receivers that we've ever had. Lastly, I think our defense is the real deal. Today's result is very encouraging.

Jack Driver, the freshman phenom, had a great coming out party, completing 22 of 28 passes for 342 yards and two touchdowns. With us running the run and gun this year, Driver will have all the oppurtunities in the world to throw the ball. Hopefully, he can keep this up.

We did bring in his backup for a bit. Mark Ellis is just to talented to keep on the sidelines all the time. We brought him in situations where we had the choice to run or pass. He ran once for six yards and threw two times, completing both, for 17 yards and a touchdown score. I like where the team is going right now.

Sophmore halfback Larry Carson got his first meaningful action of his career, and didn't disappoint. Carson rushed the ball 33 times for 142 big yards. We got a nice contribution from our freshman fullback, Mark Livingston, who rushed the ball one time, going one yard for his first touchdown of the year. Carson may not be to the talent level of Vincent Lee, but if he can keep defenses honest, I think we can have a big, big year.

Redshirt sophmore Gary Olander had a huge receiving day, catching eight passes for 141 yards and a touchdown. Not to be outdone, junior wideout Ty Martin caught five passes for 92 yards and a touchdown. But yet, there's one more. Dan Smith, the sophmore receiver contributed with six catches for 82 yards and a touchdown. I know we're throwing the ball more now, but I just feel like we finally have the talent at wideout that teams can't hone in on just one player. We've got players that can make the type of plays that make us dangerous.

We had quite a few players step up and play big today. Kassim Walker lead the team with eight tackles and a pick. Anthony Zelenka, our junior college inside linebacker recruit, had a solid first game, recording seven tackles and a sack. Fellow inside backer Scott Jackson and free safety Ralph Martin both finished with six tackles. Martin also had a pick. Both Billy Ferguson and Bert Hampton had a sack while Larry Feeley and Pat Harris both had a pick. Harris' went for 98 yards and a touchdown. Big play from the little man.

This wa sa good win over a non BCS school. Playing them is always tough. There's always the possibility when you play a team like that. Now that we've got that out of the way, we'll get back to playing the big dogs of the college football ranks, a always dangerous SEC team in South Carolina. It'll be a tough test, no doubt, but I think we'll be able to handle the challenge.

Four star defensive tackle Thom Carroll was on campus today. Carroll has serious talent, ranked as the 62nd overall prospect, 5th best defensive tackle and 7th best recruit in the West. We really like him. He just needs the grades.

Week 3

Stanford (2-0): 56 , South Carolina: 7

This one was all about the passing game. We absolutely killed them through the air, compliling all eight touchdowns from the air. I've never had a game like this. We had damn near 600 offenisve yards, a number that I don't think we've ever hit. Almost 500 of those were though the air, so that should tell you how much success we had. I'm stoked about this game.

John Driver set a few Stanford passing records, mainly yards and touchdowns. The freshman quarterback, in only his second game of his career, completed 25 of 41 passes for 466 yards with seven touchdowns and a interception. Those are absolutely crazy type numbers. Mark Ellis, like last game, came in at certain situations and played well, completing three of four passes for 11 yards and a touchdown. I like the quarterback play we're getting right now.

Freshman Lovett Fuamata-Mu'fafal (who will now be known as LFM), had his first action of the year, and produced right along with the other players. LFM rushed for 96 yards on 21 carries. That's not bad for a true freshman. I would like to see more yards, but when you pass for almost 500 yards, I can't really complain about getting close to 100 rushing yards.

As you can imagine, our receivers had big, big games. We were lead by sophmore Dan Smith, who hauled in six passes for 116 yards and three touchdowns. Not to be outdone, redshirt freshman Billy Wrighster caught seven passes for 111 yards and a score. True freshman Rock Stickles actually lead us in catches with eight, but they went for a measly 100 yards and two touchdowns. Tight End Austin Tripplett got in the action, catching three passes for 65 yards and a touchdown while Ty Martin caught two passes for 64 yards. The last touchdown pass went to LMF for a two yard score. That was his only catch of the day.

Ralph Martin lead us today with eight tackles. Anthony Zelenka wasn't far behind with seven and a sack. Converted defensive end Derrick Gilmore had a huge game, recording five tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. Scott Jackson chipped in with four tackles, a pick and a forced fumble while Larry Feeley had three tackles and a sack.

This was easily one of the best games we've ever had at Stanford. We were the real deal in this one. I've got a good feeling about this team. We seem to be the real deal. I don't see a real weakness to the way we're playing right now. Next week, we've got Troy. Every week is a potential loss, but the way we're playing, we should handle them quite easily.

Chad Woodley is a four star outside linebacker, the fourth best outside backer in the nation. Overall, he's ranked the 69th best player in the nation and 8th best in the West. He's definately a good one.

Week 4

Stanford (3-0): 41 , Troy: 13

This was one to be expected. We had this one won before halftime and never looked back. We controlled just about every aspect of the game. We didn't play a flawless game though. The turnover bug came up and bit us today. It was only once, but still, that's one to many. We can't do that against the better teams in the nation. Playing Troy, we can, but not against the USCs of the world.

Freshman quarterback John Driver played well today. Driver completed 25 of 38 passes for 278 yards with two touchdowns a that pesky interception. Junior quarterback Mark Ellis also saw spot time and produced rather nicely, completing both his passes for 50 yards and a touchdown. I've said all season long that I like the way our quarterbacks are playing. This one is no different.

LMF took on the rushing load today and certainly didn't disappoint. The true freshman rushed for 172 yards and two touchdowns on 37 attempts. He also made a contribution in the receiving game, catching three catches for 26 yards and a touchdown. He really stepped up and gave us a chance to stretch the field. Without him, we wouldn't have been able to sling the ball around. It was truely a good day for the youngster.

Sophmore Dan Smith had a big game, catching seven passes for 100 yards and a touchdown. Redshirt freshman Billy Wrighster had a good game, catching six passes for 65 yards. Gary Olander had an even better game though, catching seven passes for 63 yards and a touchdown. Our receivers stepped up big today. This might be the most complete group that we have on the team.

Because our offense controlled the ball for so long, our defense really wasn't on the field all that much. Anthony Zelenka lead us with seven tackles and a sack. Fellow linebacker Scott Jackson had six tackles and a forced fumble. Freshman Kevin Carter had a career high six tackles. Derrick Gilmore and Bert Hampton both had a sack while Pat Harris and Ralph Martin both had picks in this one.

So, we did our bussines. We held serve at home heading into conference play. We've got a good UCLA team coming in next week. They should be a good measuring mark for sure. I'm expecting a good game from all aspects of the team. Should be a good one to watch.

Five star free safety Kyle Hillenmeyer came to see us play Troy. Hillenmeyer is ranked as the 27th ranked overall player in the nation. Kyle is the 4th ranked free safety and the number one overall prospect in the West. He's definately a good one.

Archived