UFC: The Modern Warriors

Keep this going this one of the few dynasties i fallow. Everything looks good i just think when you post your signing(s) and Cut(s) you should say why. you don't have to right too much but it could be cool. Anyway i am just trying to help and I will keep reading.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>Big cuts I explain by either reporting why they were cut or doing follow-ups.</p><p> </p><p>

Take Bisping for example. In the cuts listing I said he was cut because he and Zuffa couldn't come to an agreement on an extension. Then on the next news feed, I did that whole segment where Dana White ran down Bisping explaining why they didn't sign him and how much of a piece of **** Bisping was.</p><p> </p><p>

If it's a big surprising fighter being cut, I'll explain it. However, if it's a guy who's lost like five fights in a row, I think that speaks for itself.</p><p> </p><p>

I am trying to figure out what to do for my signings though.</p>

I seen that i kinda mean more of signings like Jay Hiero made say why you hired him somthing like he will imporve our ww division or maybe some one from a third party like news site veiw example " I don't know why they hired this guy the UFC must need a new gatekeeper etc. But anyway I love this and please keep it up.

<p><span style="font-size:8px;"><strong>Blurcat.com - Your #1 Source for All Things MMA</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Alex Emerson’s UFC 134: Redemption Press-Conference Notes & Report (Tuesday, January 24th)</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>My 2-Cents</strong></p><p>

Next Saturday, MMA fans will rejoice as <strong>Anderson Silv</strong>a looks to make a triumphant return to the Octagon at UFC’s 134th event. This time however, Silva has a task much bigger to accomplish than setting the record even with <strong>Georges St. Pierre</strong>, and I mean that quite literally.</p><p> </p><p>

If you haven’t been following MMA news as closely as you should, shortly after losing the Middleweight belt to Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva announced his intention to take this opportunity to move up in weight. While we all initially thought he meant permanently moving to Light Heavyweight, he fooled and stunned us all by expressing his wishes to fight at Heavyweight.</p><p> </p><p>

During the time of the announcement, Silva said he’d probably need six or seven months to appropriately make the weight. However, only four months later, Anderson Silva has declared that he has successfully made weight and sure enough, he’s in the main event.</p><p> </p><p>

Unsurprisingly, there were plenty of Heavyweights willing to welcome him to their ranks, most notably <strong>Gabriel Gonzaga</strong>, who feels a win over Silva will propel his name to even further heights. And with Gonzaga as his opponent, Silva faces some major problems, as Gonzaga has submitted four of his last five opponents and is perhaps most famous for knocking out CroCop back in 2007.</p><p> </p><p>

February will be a true trial for both individuals. Many feel a solid win for Gonzaga could easily match him against the current UFC Heavyweight Champion, <strong>Cain Velasquez</strong>. While many others think that if Anderson Silva is able to dominate his UFC 134 opponent like he has his Middleweight competitors, the 265 Division could be in major trouble.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Notes & Report</strong></p><p>

<em>-</em><em><strong>Dana White</strong></em><em> by confirming a </em><em><strong>Fight Night</strong></em><em> for March 27th. Dana White also says that he wants to follow the formula that </em><em><strong>Affliction Live</strong></em><em> and </em><em><strong>Strikeforce on CBS</strong></em><em> had by offering major shows on free TV as opposed to just giving a free night of fights which is why guys of the quality of </em><em><strong>Wanderlei Silva</strong></em><em> and </em><em><strong>Luis Cane</strong></em><em> headlined the last Fight Night and why the Welterweight Championship will be awarded at a future Fight Night. With that, he announces that the card will be headlined with a Heavyweight encounter between </em><em><strong>Satoshi Ishii</strong></em><em> and </em><em><strong>Todd Duffee</strong></em><em>. If that’s not enough, he announces that </em><em><strong>Ronaldo De Souza</strong></em><em> will make his UFC debut by taking on established Middleweight, </em><em><strong>Denis Kang</strong></em><em> in the main-event lead-in. He throws the bait, and as usual, we bite and so we’re told to go to UFC.com for more information.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Matt Serra</strong></em><em> opens up the Q&A by acknowledging he’s approaching the twilight of his career. He says that so far he’s had no regrets, but he wishes to disappear with more than just being the guy that defeated </em><em><strong>Georges St. Pierre</strong></em><em>. He admits that </em><em><strong>Johny Hendricks</strong></em><em> is much younger and much faster, but he’s going to give the fight off of his life just so he can get one step closer to regaining the Welterweight strap.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Chris Tuchscherer</strong></em><em> says he’s definitely worried about </em><em><strong>Junior Dos Santos’s</strong></em><em> hands, but he’s not going to let that psychologically affect his game. He says the last thing he’ll want to do in the Octagon is exchange punches with Junior, but if it’s the only way he’s going to win the fight, he’ll do it.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>‘Rampage’</strong></em><em> makes it short and sweet: His loss to </em><em><strong>Lawal</strong></em><em> was a fluke, he’s gonna beat </em><em><strong>Ribeiro’s</strong></em><em> ass and then he wants a rematch with Lawal so he can beat his ass too.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Nate Marquardt</strong></em><em> says he wants to beat </em><em><strong>Jake Rosholt</strong></em><em> mainly so he can be the one to tell </em><em><strong>Georges St. Pierre</strong></em><em> that he doesn’t belong with the Middleweights.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Jake Rosholt</strong></em><em> said that out of everyone, he’s been the only one able to hang in there consistently with all the top level Middleweights and says if </em><em><strong>Nate Marquardt</strong></em><em> thinks he’s next in line, then he’s sorely disappointed. Jake Rosholt also promises that he’ll be Middleweight Champion before the year ends.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Alexandre Ribeiro</strong></em><em> says </em><em><strong>Quinton Jackson’s</strong></em><em> trash talk doesn’t bother him as he knows that’s how Quinton is. He then says that he does all of his talking with his submissions and unfortunately for ‘Rampage’, he’s going to find that out next Saturday.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Junie Browning</strong></em><em> says he’s probably more excited for his fight than anyone else on the card and follows up by saying it’s been a while since he’s fought in the UFC and on top of that he gets to fight one of the best Lightweights in the company. Browning finishes by saying it won’t be long before he’s Lightweight Champion.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Johny Hendricks</strong></em><em> addresses </em><em><strong>Matt Serra’s</strong></em><em> statement and says he doesn’t mean to disrespect Serra, but he’s sadly mistaken if he thinks he stands a chance in the Octagon.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-Unfortunately, </em><em><strong>Anderson Silva</strong></em><em> couldn’t make it to the conference as he is still working on his weight to make sure it’s solid for next Saturday. This means </em><em><strong>Gabriel Gonzaga</strong></em><em> is doing fight hype solo and says that he feels that he’s a much stronger striker than Anderson Silva, and since Silva isn’t familiar fighting at the 220+ range, he’s going to be in trouble.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Joe Stevenson</strong></em><em> wishes </em><em><strong>Junie Browning</strong></em><em> all the best of luck, but says he absolutely cannot lose this match.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Junior Dos Santos</strong></em><em> says he’s going to go in there and look for another solid knock out. He wraps up by saying if </em><em><strong>Chris Tuchscherer</strong></em><em> wants to stand-up with him, that’s fine, but that he will lose him the fight.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em>

-</em><em><strong>Dana White</strong></em><em> wraps up by getting everyone together for some photo-ops, and then tells everyone he hopes to see them next Saturday. That’s a wrap for the press-conference.</em></p><p><em>

</em></p>

Blurcat.com January MMA News

World Headlines for Week 4 of January

-Sengoku 32 results are up. Check them out here!

-Be sure to join us for Bellator FC 37 Weigh-In Roundtable! Our special guest for the night will be Michelle Waterson. Come back tomorrow night for the full results.

-Palace FC has decided to release Jens Pulver from his current contract.

-Albert Rios vs. Manny Gamburyan has been added to WEC 70: Faber vs. Paixao II.

-Undefeated Glen Reed has signed a two fight deal with Adrenaline.

-Join us for DREAM 35 Weigh-In Roundtable Friday night! Our special guest for the evening will be Manny Tapia.

World MMA Event Results for Week 4 of January

Sengoku 32 (Saturday, January 21st)

Preliminary Card

Tito Jones defeated Takeshi Yamazaki via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Miguel Torres defeated Wagnney Fabiano via Submission (3:19, First Round)

Jim Bova defeated Lyle Beerbohm via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Leonard Garcia defeated Hideo Tokoro via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Main Card

Antonio Silva defeated Moise Rimbon via Knock Out (3:34, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Roger Hollet defeated Alexandre Ferreira via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Decent

Pedro Rizzo defeated Roman Zentsov via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Average

Roan Carneiro defeated Carlo Prater via Submission (:29, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Vitor Belfort defeated Jorge Santiago via TKO to win the Sengoku Middleweight Championship (:47, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

Bellator FC 37 (Sunday, January 22nd)

Main Card

Marlon Sandro defeated Nick Gonzalez via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Average

Dave Herman defeated Karl Wilkes via Submission (4:59, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Nick Denis defeated Shawn Bias via Knock Out (2:17, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Fantastic

Abel Cullum defeated Koetsu Okazaki via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Hector Lombard defeated Jorge Patino via TKO (2:10, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Fantastic

DREAM 35 (Friday, Januayr 27th)

Preliminary Card

Chris Cariaso defeated Eduardo Dantas via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Second Round)

Mark Oshiro defeated Ryota Matsune via Submission (8:25, First Round)

Dong Yi Yang defeated Lavar Johnson via Submission (5:42, First Round)

Rafael Cavalcante defeated Cyrille Diabate via Knock Out (1:17, First Round)

Main Card

Andre Gusmao defeated Brian Ebersole via Submission (1:02, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

Tyler East defeated James Thompson via Submission (1:02, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Marcus Davis defeated Chael Sonnen via Submission (3:24, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Decent

Vitor Ribeiro defeated Tatsuya Kawajiri via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Very Poor

Sergei Kharitonov defeated Siala-Mou Siligia via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Average

UFC News for Week 4 of January

Signings

There are no signings to announce this week

Extensions

Kurt Pellegrino has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Brian Cobb has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Yushin Okami has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Thales Leites has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Amir Sadollah has re-signed a four fight 21-month deal with UFC

Dan Miller has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Jon Jones has re-signed a seven fight multi-year deal with UFC

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has re-signed a five fight multi-year deal with UFC

TJ Grant has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Cuts

There are no cuts to announce this week

*WOWOW 1 has extended their Pay-Per-View deal with UFC for an additional eight shows

March 27th Fight Night is Finalized

The previously announced Ultimate Fight Night for March 27th has been complete and the final card has been revealed on the UFC homepage. In addition to the known main events, Ben Henderson returns to the Octagon to take on Gray Maynard. For the entire card, head over to the UFC page.

Scheduled UFC Events

UFC 134: Redemption (February 11th. Ohio)

Preliminary Card

Lightweight: Gleison Tibau vs. Jim Miller

Middleweight: Dan Miller vs. Sugita Yamanaka

Lightweight: Mark Bocek vs. Kurt Pellegrino

Welterweight: John Howard vs. Paulo Thiago

Welterweight: Rory Markham vs. Scott Jorgensen

Main Card

Lightweight: Junie Browning vs. Joe Stevenson

Heavyweight: Chris Tuchscherer vs. Junior Dos Santos

Welterweight: Johny Hendricks vs. Matt Serra

Middleweight: Jake Rosholt vs. Nate Marquardt

Light Heavyweight: Quinton Jackson vs. Alexandre Ribeiro

Heavyweight: Anderson Silva vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

UFC 135 (Saturday, March 17th. Pennsylvania)

Preliminary Card

Middleweight: Tom Lawlor vs. Rob Kimmons

Welterweight: Danillo Villefort vs. Nick Osipczak

Lightweight: Corey Hill vs. Melvin Guillard

Light Heavyweight: Carmelo Marrero vs. Karen Grigoryan

Heavyweight: Zak Jensen vs. Bill Whitworth

Main Card

Welterweight: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Dan Hardy

Heavyweight: Heath Herring vs. Ben Rothwell

Middleweight: Jason Miller vs. Patrick Cote

Welterweight: Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves

Lightweight: Eddie Alvarez vs. Diego Sanchez

Heavyweight: Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski

Ultimate Fight Night: Duffee vs. Ishii (Tuesday, March 27th)

Preliminary Card

Lightweight: Cameron Dollar vs. Matt Veach

Middleweight: Nate Quarry vs. Tomasz Drwal

Lightweight: David Baron vs. George Roop

Light Heavyweight: Eliot Marshall vs. Kyle Kingsbury

Main Card

Lightweight: Gray Maynard vs. Ben Henderson

Welterweight: Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Ben Saunders

Middleweight: Yushin Okami vs. Kendall Grove

Middleweight: Ronaldo Souza vs. Denis Kang

Heavyweight: Satoshi Ishii vs. Todd Duffee

UFC 136: Driven (Saturday, April 21st. Nevada)

Preliminary Card

Welterweight: Jesse Sanders vs. John Hathaway

Welterweight: Dan Cramer vs. Frank Lester

Heavyweight: Dillen Michel vs. Joseph Beneteau

Welterweight: Chris Wilson vs. Brad Blackburn

Middleweight: Demian Maia vs. CB Dollaway

Main Card

Lightweight: Frankie Edgar vs. Andre Winner

Light Heavyweight: Thiago Silva vs. Aaron Simpson

Light Heavyweight: Jake O’Brien vs. Matt Hamill

Welterweight: Andre Galvao vs. BJ Penn

Heavyweight: Alistair Overeem vs. Brock Lesnar

Heavyweight: Bobby Lashley vs. Roger Gracie

Blurcat’s UFC 134: Redemption Weigh-In Roundtable (Friday, February 10th)

Alex Emerson: Gather round, young Blurcats, for tonight is story telling of Biblical proportions. Well…maybe not Biblical so much, but it will be one hell of an exciting night. Why you ask? Well you adorable little thing, you, Weigh-In Roundtable is back! And tonight, everyone’s favorite promotion, UFC will play host as their 134th event is live tomorrow night.

Gavin Banks: I think we all know what everyone’s really excited for.

Emerson: What, Anderson Silva’s Heavyweight debut? No! Everyone’s really excited for our returning special guest, Urijah Faber!

Faber: They loved me so much last time that I had to come back and do another show.

Emerson: Faber has decided to take time off from focusing on his upcoming fight with Fredson Paxiao to humor us here at the Roundtable.

Fable: That’s right.

Emerson: Along with Gavin Banks, Urijah Faber, and I, we also have Stuart Teacher, and newest Roundtable panelist, Ned Charles.

Charles: So this what you call work? I like this. My chair is quite comfy.

Emerson: Tom Bradburn, the jerk, is actually heading to Ohio to catch the fight live. That means we thankfully, won’t have to put up with Ned very long.

Charles: I love you too.

Emerson: Well, I think it’s time. Let’s go ahead and get this Roundtable underway.

First Question: Will Anderson Silva make a successful transition to Heavyweight?

Gavin Banks says

Well, we saw how it worked out for Urijah Faber. So, nah, Silva won’t find much success in a weight class that has a cut-off limit of 265. By the way Faber, please don’t hurt me.

Urijah Faber says

I’ll wait until we’re done with the show to exact my revenge. Anyway, they call Silva Pound 4 Pound King for a reason. I think he’ll use UFC 134 and the Heavyweight Division, for that matter, to reclaim that crown.

Ned Charles says

Will Anderson Silva have problems with Gabriel Gonzaga? No, probably not too many. Does that mean he’ll be able to go in there and fight guys the size of Alistair Overeem or Brock Lesnar? I honestly doubt it.

Alex Emerson says

Like Faber said, the guy is in the P4P Rankings. This is a guy that made Forrest Griffin look like a can back at UFC 101. If more power comes with his striking now that he’s picked up in weight, the Heavyweights are in trouble.

Stuart Teacher says

I’m honestly going to have to wait out on calling this until I see how he does against Gonzaga. If Gonzaga beats him, then clearly the answer is no. If he beats Gonzaga, then you have a ton of things to factor in; how he won the fight, or if Gonzaga was giving him trouble, or if the added weight harmed his cardio. It’s way too early to really tell.

Final Verdict: Unknown

Second Question: Junie Browning vs. Joe Stevenson?

Stuart Teacher says

Let me make up for my indecisiveness by going first. I like Junie Browning a lot, but I don’t think he is anywhere at the level of Joe Stevenson. Stevenson has fought harder opponents including BJ Penn and Takanori Gomi. Browning on the other hand has spent the last year or so floundering on the undercard.

Alex Emerson says

I think Joe Stevenson has lost his touch. This was a guy who was on everyone’s top ten Lightweight list at some point, and then he just disappeared. I agree with Teach when he says experience plays a lot, but if you’re not in the game mentally, that hampers any skill you may have. Junie Browning will pick up the w.

Ned Charles says

Definitely the sleeper hit of the night, if you ask me. I’m going with Joe Stevenson because I really want to see him back in title contention. I don’t think he’s mentally exhausted with fighting; it’s just that he lacks motivation. If a win like this could put him on the track that leads to the Lightweight Championship, we might see some better performances.

Urijah Faber says

Browning has been on a tear in the UFC, so I think I’m going to stick with him.

Gavin Banks says

Junie Browning’s the man. You can’t underestimate him.

Final Verdict: Majority says Junie Browning

Third Question: Chris Tuchscherer vs. Junior Dos Santos

Urijah Faber says

Oh, man…Dos Santos has been killing people out there. I’ll tell you what, if Dos Santos doesn’t knock Tuchscherer’s head off, especially after Tuchscherer said he’d be willing to stand with him, I’ll be surprised.

Alex Emerson says

Punching with Dos Santos is probably the worst thing anyone should do right now. I don’t even know if Tuchscherer could handle Dos Santo’s ground game either. Dos Santos.

Gavin Banks says

I’m going to use this as my wild card and pick Chris Tuchscherer. Every event there’s always that one fight where we all think there’s a clear winner, but we get fooled in the end.

Stuart Teacher says

Yeah, I see this fight coming down to a knock out for Dos Santos.

Ned Charles says

Do I even need to pick? If Tuchscherer better not even try to box wit Dos Santos.

Final Verdict: Majority says Junior Dos Santos

Fourth Question: Johny Hendricks vs. Matt Serra?

Ned Charles says

Let me be the first to say that if Serra needs help on deciding if he should retire, Hendricks will be the one to help him make that choice.

Stuart Teacher says

Johny Hendricks is beyond aggressive and we honestly haven’t seen much of Matt Serra since about March of last year. Serra just might be in trouble.

Urijah Faber says

You can never doubt Serra. He did beat Georges St. Pierre after all.

Alex Emerson says

If Matt Serra really has the retirement thing on the back of his mind, that’s not a good thing coming into this fight.

Gavin Banks says

I think it’ll give Matt Serra the necessary drive to finish this thing. You know, as a way to prove he still has it in him. Hendricks might be in for a rude awakening.

Final Verdict: Majority says John Hendricks

Fifth Question: Jake Rosholt vs. Nate Marquardt?

Ned Charles says

Anytime you can go in the ring and last for an entire five rounds with Anderson Silva, giving him one of the hardest fights in the process, and then follow that up by giving Dan Henderson his second TKO career loss, says a lot about you as a fighter. I like Nate Marquardt, but Jake Rosholt is going to be all over him. I honestly think he might give GSP a run for his money.

Gavin Banks says

That’s what I’m thinking, too. The guy has won five of his last six UFC fights. The one loss was to Anderson Silva, no less. While Nate Marquardt is a great fighter, I don’t really see him going over Jake Rosholt.

Alex Emerson says

Never doubt Marquardt. The man has shown in the pass that he has serious knock out power. Rosholt’s chin has yet to be tested.

Stuart Teacher says

Rosholt took five or six of Silva’s best punches and he kept on coming with the wrestling. I think that says a lot about his chin. Marquardt better be at his very best.

Urijah Faber says

I gotta go with Rosholt. The man is like Randy Couture or Dan Henderson 2.0. Hell, maybe a combination of the two.

Final Verdict: Majority says Jake Rosholt

Sixth Question: Quinton Jackson vs. Alexandre Ribeiro?

Urijah Faber says

Quinton Jackson is pissed. I know he wants that Mo Lawal rematch, you know he wants that Mo Lawal rematch. If Alexandre Ribeiro is what’s standing in his way, then all I have to say is ouch…sorry Ribeiro.

Alex Emerson says

We saw Ribeiro’s chin when Wanderlei Silva knocked him clean out last year. Jackson has displayed countless times that he has power and will ultimately end up knocking him out. Not only that, but if Ribeiro tries some of his magical submissions, guess what? He’s going to get picked up and get slammed.

Ned Charles says

I don’t think Ribeiro matches well against dangerous strikers. Put him in there with a guy like Jones or Vera, and he has a solid win. Put him in there with a guy who knows how to knock people out, then he’s dead meet. Sadly for Ribeiro, Jackson loves knocking people out.

Stuart Teacher says

The keyword is mental state. That loss to Mo Lawal is still on the back of his head, and it will probably take him out of his element. I’m going to give Ribeiro the win in this fight.

Gavin Banks says

There’s no possible way Alexandre Ribeiro can win this one.

Final Verdict: Majority says Quinton Jackson

Final Question: Anderson Silva vs. Gabriel Gonzaga?

Ned Charles says

Like I said before, Silva will probably pull off the win here. Gonzaga can be lethal, but I don’t think his striking is on par with Anderson Silva’s. Silva will probably wow us with some of his boxing technique.

Gavin Banks says

Silva has been known to have problems with submissions and Gonzaga’s last four wins have come by way of submission. 2 + 2 = 4.

Urijah Faber says

I think it’ll be a fairly challenging fight for Anderson Silva, but he’ll pull it off in a very decisive way. I’m personally excited for this one more than anything else.

Alex Emerson says

Like I said, he’s Pound 4 Pound. If a guy can destroy people a weight-class above him, what’s stopping him from doing to people two weight-classes above him?

Stuart Teacher says

As far as this fight goes, I think I’m more comfortable with picking Gonzaga than I am Silva. The weigh-ins start in an hour, so we’re not even sure what Silva will weigh in as. Not only that, but Gonzaga has absolutely nothing to prove in this fight, where as Anderson Silva has everything riding on this one. That’s going to hurt him mentally.

Final Verdict: Majority says Anderson Silva

Emerson: And there you have it. Another night of sitting around the Roundtable, another night of successful, or in most cases, god-awful predictions. Remember, you can always participate in the fun by sending your picks to Blurcat-emerson@aol.com. Winner will receive a Urijah Faber Silver Star t-shirt. We hope you enjoyed the show, and we hope you enjoy UFC 134 tomorrow. Be sure to check Blurcat.com for full results.

Full UFC 134: Redemption Fight Card

Preliminary Card

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Main Card

Blurcat.com February MMA News

Scheduled MMA Events for February

WEC 70: Faber vs. Paixao II (WEC. Friday, February 10th)

UFC 134: Redemption (UFC. Saturday, February 11th)

RAW Combat: Big Bang (RAW Combat. Monday, February 13th)

PFC 40: Rip it Out (Palace FC. Wednesday, February 15th)

World Headlines for Week 1 of February

-On Sunday, Kurt Otto announced Bellator FC 38 for February 26th.

-Renato Sobral has been handed another two month medical suspension after suffering a beating at the hands of Emanuel Newton

-World Victory Road look to re-negotiate their PPV deal with ProElite Online.

-Kijuro Toyoda has joined Satoshi Ishii and Mitsuhiro Ishida at the T-Blood fight camp.

-WEC is looking to expand on its Bantamweight division by adding Ryota Matsune and Chris Cariaso.

-Monte Cox has announced the next Adrenaline event to take place on March 3rd

-Join us for WEC 70: Faber vs. Paixao II Weigh-In Roundtable! Urijah Faber will do double duty and phones in his predictions.

-Fight & Entertainment Group have announced DREAM 36 for March 3rd

World MMA Event Results for Week 1 of February

Adrenaline: Aurello vs. Noons II (Sunday, February 5th)

Preliminary Card

Edilberto defeated Luke Cummo via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Jou Kuroda defeated Dan Evensen via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Main Card

Joe Pearson defeated Duane Ludwig via Submission (3:35, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Gan McGee defeated George Bush via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Poor

Raymond Daniels defeated Dough Marshall via Knock Out (1:35, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Decent

Emanuel Newton defeated Renato Sobral via TKO to win the Adrenaline Light Heavyweight Championship (2:56, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

KJ Noons defeated Marcus Aurelio via TKO (2:52, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

WEC 70: Faber vs. Paixao II (Friday, February 10th)

Preliminary Card

Tyson Nam defeated ‘Straight A’ Keith via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Enoch Wilson defeated Rumina Sato via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Main Card

Anthony Pettis defeated Clay French via Unanimous Decision to retain the WEC Lightweight Championship (5:00, Fifth Round) Blurcat Verdict: Average

Manny Gamburyan defeated Albert Rios via TKO (2:52, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

Alexandre Franca Nogueira defeated Hiroyuki Takaya via Submission (4:24, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Roc McCullough defeated Yves Edwards via TKO (:26, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

Urijah Faber defeated Fredson Paixao via Submission (4:30, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

UFC News for Week 1 of February

Signings

There are no signings to announce this week

Extensions

Sam Stout has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Frank Mir has re-signed a five fight multi-year deal with UFC

Matt Hughes has re-signed a four fight 21-month deal with UFC

Yoshihiro Akiyama has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Cuts

Zuffa LLC has decided not to extend Dan Cramer’s current contract with UFC

Thiago Alves Is Ready for Jon Fitch

Stuart Teacher had a sit-down interview with Thiago Alves Monday night. Thiago Alves made it clear and said his main focus was on Jon Fitch. He’s been training non-stop for the last two to three months and he is beyond ready to avenge an earlier loss to Fitch. To wrap up the interview, Thiago Alves vows to walk away from the Welterweight Tournament as Welterweight Champion.

To see the full interview, click here!

Frank Mir On Big Cat Show

On Tuesday’s edition of the Big Cat Show, former UFC Heavyweight Champion, Frank Mir sit down with Ned Charles and Matt Natchios. Of course, a barrage of questions were tossed his way, and the highlights include him wanting to be back in the Octagon as soon as possible, and that he’s been ready to fight for the last five months and he’s just waiting for the call. As far as a potential opponent, Mir expresses interest in working his way back to the top by fighting a guy like Todd Duffee or even Josh Barnett.

For the full Podcast, click here!

Josh Barnett on and Josh Neer on Friday Morning’s Crackdown!

Alex Emerson and Gavin Banks were joined by the UFC’s finest in Josh Neer and Josh Barnett.

First on the show was Josh Neer who discussed his training with the Blurcat staff. He told the two Crackdown hosts that he has been working on his striking a lot after suffering a TKO loss to Josh Thomson in June of last year, and hopes that something like that will not halt his progress in the future. As far as future fights go, he hasn’t been contacted yet, but he told the two that he’s ready to go.

Josh Barnett then wrapped up the show and discussed with Banks and Emerson what he’s been doing since his last fight. He claims he’s been taking it easy, but as always, he’s still training and practicing for future fights. Banks does a little instigating by telling Barnett that on the Big Cat Show, Frank Mir expressed interest in fighting Barnett. Barnett replied by saying it would be an interesting fight.

For the full Podcast, click here!

Faber Possibly Out for Six Months

Friday night, WEC 70 saw Urijah Faber return to glory by avenging a prior loss to Fredson Paixao in convincing fashion with a guillotine. At the end of the fight, there was a noticeable grimace on Faber’s face, but all was ignored once Faber celebrated his win in the post-fight interview. However, we’ve recently discovered that somewhere during the pre-guillotine ground scramble, Urijah Faber tore his groin. After initial doctor inspection, Faber could face upwards of six months of down-time. Faber isn’t at all happy with the potential recovery period as he already went through a six month rest period before returning to action September. We’ll keep you updated on the information as we get it.

UFC 134 Results Are Up

Did Anderson Silva make a successful transition to the Heavyweight division or did Gabriel Gonzaga further destroy Silva’s Superman-like aura? Did Quinton Jackson bounce back from his earlier loss to Muhammed Lawal or did Alexandre Ribeiro pick up another submission? Who will be GSP’s first Middleweight Championship challenger? We have all the answers to the questions that UFC 134 presented. To find out what happened, click here!

Scheduled UFC Events

Preliminary Card

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Main Card

Blurcat.com – Your #1 Source for All Things MMA

Alex Emerson’s UFC 134: Redemption Full Report (Saturday, February 11th)

On September of last year, we all sat and watched with fervor when two of UFC’s most current stars finally decided to meet for a second, and possibly a last, encounter.

Firstly, to give a proper setting to the story, in January of 2010, at UFC 107: The Show, Dana White put together one of the biggest spectacles that saw Georges St. Pierre take on Anderson Silva. To call it a dream match is an understatement, there’s just no proper way to describe the emotions going into the fight. The fight itself saw Georges St. Pierre submit Anderson Silva in what we considered one of the best fights of the year.

This would almost inevitably set up the rematch, a rematch where not only GSP would not agree with a catch-weight, but would actually move up to Middleweight and challenge Anderson Silva for his Middleweight Championship. September 2011 came and with it, GSP vs. Silva II. The fight went three rounds and featured some very back and forth action that ultimately saw GSP make history by being the first man in UFC to capture two different titles and hold them at the same time.

Since September, neither superstar has made much of an appearance. Perhaps that’s why everyone is buzzing about tonight. Tonight, one of the two fighters that made UFC 107 and UFC 129 highly acclaimed MMA events has finally decided to break the silence. Tonight, Anderson Silva makes his return to the Octagon…only in a much bigger way…literally.

You see, on the onset of losing to Georges St. Pierre, Silva called the loss a blessing in disguise as he can finally now fight at a heavier weight class. The sports world considered that statement to be his official announcement to stay at Light Heavyweight. Needless to say, we were all flabbergasted when Silva instead expressed wishes to fight at Heavyweight.

It was a pipe dream, we all thought. There’s no way Dana White would let one of his big money makers take eight to ten months off just so he could come back and fight at a heavier weight. Once again, we were all stunned when White gave in and allowed Anderson Silva to take off as much time as needed to make weight.

The most shocking news, though, came when Anderson Silva cut his off-time in half and only five months later, he’s ready to fight again…

And his fight tonight is not going to be an easy one. Typically, one expects a big fighter’s return match to be one he can easily walk through. Tonight isn’t the case as Anderson Silva will be squaring off with Heavyweight star, Gabriel Gonzaga. In case you haven’t been paying attention, Gonzaga has defeated has won four of his last five fights, submitting Cheick Kong, Chris Tuchscherer, and Brett Rogers two times. Undoubtedly, that could mean Gabriel Gonzaga will try his submission game, and the few fights that Anderson Silva has lost have come down to him getting caught with submissions.

Could this be a bad match for Anderson Silva who will, without question, be embarrassed if he loses his first fight in the Heavyweight division? Will a win like this put Gabriel Gonzaga ahead of all the other Heavyweight competitors in terms of a Heavyweight Champion contender? The only hope we have of knowing is by keeping our eyes on the TV screen for UFC 134. With that, let’s get to the show.

UFC 134: Redemption (Saturday, February 11th)

It’s not time to call it quits, and I have to use this fight to prove that.Matt Serra

I respect Matt Sera, and I hope he figures out what he wants to do with his career, but if that includes beating me to figure it all out, then he’ll end up disappointed.Johny Hendricks

He is lethal, and he can knock me out, but he’s slower than I am, and he has no wrestling to speak of.Chris Tuchscherer

I never go in there thinking I’m going to knock someone out, but if they choose to stand and exchange strikes with me, that’s what’s going to happen.Junior Dos Santos

I need that big win. This is going to be it.Junie Browning

A lot of people have been saying I haven’t been as focused, well I prove them wrong tonightJoe Stevenson

I’m gonna win this fight, and then I’m going to force Georges St. Pierre into going back to the Welterweights.Nate Marquardt

He’s using me as an afterthought. He’s too focused on a fight with GSP, that’s NOT going to happen, because he’s not focused on me.Jake Rosholt

If he tries some of that submission ****, I’m just going to beat his ass. And then I’m coming for you, Mo.Quinton Jackson

If this is the fight that stands between me and a title shot, I’ll use every submission in the book until I get the win.Alexandre Ribeiro

They’ll enjoy what they see tonight.Anderson Silva

I’m not really worried, but I know how dangerous Anderson Silva can be. I’ll be the next fighter to defeat Silva. That’s a promise. - Gabriel Gonzaga

The vignettes died down and the camera once again took in the hot Ohio crowd who were more than ready to see Anderson Silva’s return, and the many other fights that would take place on the card. The camera would stop moving around the audience, and switched views to Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan, and surprisingly, UFC Hall of Famer, Chuck Liddell.

Goldberg is the first to get the question out of the way when he jokingly asks what brings Chuck Liddell to these parts of the woods. Chuck Liddell replies by stating he’s excited to see how Anderson Silva does in the 265 class. Rogan pals around with Liddell for a little bit, and once that dies down, the three man team run down the fight card and share their thoughts and opinions on the fights.

The UFC Text-Poll screen comes up. By texting the number 1, Anderson Silva earns a vote. By pressing 2, Gabriel Gonzaga wins a vote. I’m too busy trying to see if I can spot Tom Bradburn in the crowd to really care about the poll. However, my attention is redirected to what’s taking place on the card as the Tale of the Tape for Junie Browning and Joe Stevenson flashes up. With this, Mike Goldberg passes the camera time over to Bruce Buffer

Lightweight: Junie Browning(5-2) vs. Joe Stevenson(31-12

The Fight

Within seconds of the fight starting, Stevenson has already gotten Browning on the ground, and The Ultimate Fighter 8 winner has no choice, but to pull guard. There’s a small tussle on the ground that ultimately sees Stevenson take side control. Browning, immediately sees the danger and tries to roll away, but Stevenson mounts his back. I’m expecting an RNC, but instead Stevenson begins to fire away on Browning. Stevenson could tire himself out if this doesn’t finish off Browning, but I’m proven a liar, because Herb Dean runs in to pull Stevenson off. Stevenson is back!

Winner via TKO – Joe Stevenson (3:46, First Round)

The Post-Fight

Rogan steps in the ring where Stevenson immediately screams on the microphone that he’s back. He says he feels good and also highlights how he didn’t take any damage in the fight. This, of course, means for Stevenson that he’s ready to fight again the second they need him. The fans approve.

The Verdict

Well from what Bradburn has texted me, the Preliminary Card was pretty boring, so it’s nice when the first fight of the night comes down to a vicious assault from a crowd favorite like Joe Stevenson. Plus even on PPV, the fight was damn enjoyable. I’ll say it’s a great way to open the show.

Heavyweight: Chris Tuchscherer(21-3) vs. Junior Dos Santos(11-4)

The Fight

Tuchscherer takes a kick to the hip just so he can move in and wrestle Dos Santos into the cage. He throws a couple of punches to the ribs of Dos Santos as a way to soften him up for an upcoming takedown attempt. The two move around the cage for a few seconds with Tuchscherer remaining in solid control. Tuchscherer hooks the waist and looks to pull Dos Santos to the mat. Tuchscherer lowers his head and Dos Santos sees it as an opportunity to wrench his arm around the neck. Tuchscherer is caught in a very weak guillotine, that I just don’t see working. Wait a minute! Tuchscherer has lost his balance and now they’re both on the ground. Dos Santos has the guillotine tighter and Tuchscherer taps out!

Winner via Submission – Junior Dos Santos (3:24, First Round)

The Post-Fight

Dos Santos says he’s ready for even bigger fights. Dana White just might have to oblige.

The Verdict

The second fight of the night sees a submission come from a guy who’s known solely for his knock out power. To add to that, the guillotine came out of no where and really looked like it wouldn’t work. Some last second slip ups and the choke was on and roaring. Great finish to a fight.

Welterweight: Johny Hendricks(7-1) vs. Matt Serra(9-8)

The Fight

The two pace around the ring, and Matt Serra finally cuts the tension by shooting in on Hendricks. Hendricks sprawls and begins to immediately pound away on Serra. The punches have stunned Serra who slowly rolls over on his back to try to pull Hendricks in guard. Hendricks shows lightning fast reflexes and mounts Serra. Serra tries covering up, but Hendricks doesn’t care and just begins wailing down on Serra. Serra is still glass-eyed from before and after three punches from the mount, his defense begins to falters. Mario Yamasaki has seen enough and we have a third fight that hasn’t gone past the first round!

Winner via TKO – Johny Hendricks (3:39, First Round)

The Post-Fight

Hendricks goes over to hug Serra, who is sitting in a corner of the Octagon, deciding what it is he should do next with his career. Hendricks allows Serra to speak to Rogan who tells the Ohio audience that it just might be time he calls it quits. Serra finishes up by telling everyone he’s so thankful that they appreciate him doing what it is that he does and then leaves the Octagon.

Hendricks speaks next and says he’s not sure who he would like to fight as a next opponent. He does say that he’s caught word of Matt Hughes re-signing a contract, and would love to fight a guy of his credentials.

The Verdict

Another fight that saw a vicious first round destruction of a former Welterweight Champion; Ohio is hot tonight, and reasonably so. Only three fights in, and the third fight was just as great as the first two.

Middleweight: Jake Rosholt(10-2) vs. Nate Marquardt(30-9-2)

The Fight

Rosholt looks to get some wrestling in, but Marquardt catches him with a jab in an attempt to halt his aggression. Rosholt takes the punch with little reaction and the two clinch up only for Marquardt to turn the situation around and take Rosholt to the ground. With Rosholt in guard, Marquardt begins to fire away some elbows, but Rosholt sinks in a guillotine! Marquardt swivels around and manages to slip away, but he gets caught again! Rosholt can’t seem to apply any pressure, though, and Marquardt finds his way back out. From there, not much happened on the ground so Steve Mazzagatti restarted the fight on their feet. With the clock quickly grinding away, Rosholt ended the round by pressing Marquardt against the cage where he began to fire away on him.

Rosholt hooks Marquardt’s legs, and the former Pancrase fighter is in guard. Rosholt sees it as a mistake and tries to pull away, and Marquardt confirms that mistake by wrapping his legs around Rosholt for a triangle choke. Rosholt slips out and takes side control, and Marquardt responds by grabbing an arm! It looks like Marquardt is trying for a kimura from the bottom and Rosholt has no idea what to do. The Xtreme Couture member tries to roll through it out of panic, and this only serves to give Marquardt side control. Marquardt still has hold of the arm, and Rosholt tries to roll through again. Marquardt rolls with him and Rosholt’s arm is extended in an armbar! Rosholt immediately taps out!

Winner via Submission – Nate Marquardt (3:19, Second Round)

The Post-Fight

Marquardt tells Rogan that he wants GSP right now. The camera pans to the audience where St. Pierre is watching the action somewhere in the first set of rows. He stands up and nods his head and Marquardt runs over to that side of the Octagon and tells GSP that he has his belt.

The Verdict

The fight looked a little slow in the first round, but the second round was pure grappler’s heaven. Rosholt is still a little green, and that’s evidenced by him not knowing what to do once Marquardt has the kimura attempt going. The second round alone made this a good fight worth following

Light Heavyweight: Quinton Jackson(33-9) vs. Alexandre Ribeiro(8-2)

The Fight

Time and a time again, Ribeiro tries to take Jackson off of his feet, but the Tennesee native doesn’t allow it and keeps pacing around the Octagon to look for an opening for some strikes. Jackson finally hits Ribeiro with an overhand right, and Ribeiro responds by going low. Jackson sprawls the attempt and follows up by tossing Ribeiro into the cage. Jackson fires off a couple of solid punches, but Ribeiro hooks the legs to try to catch Jackson off guard. Jackson repositions himself against the cage and uses it as support to keep him standing. Alexandre Ribeiro heads back to his corner looking beyond frustrated.

Ribeiro forces Jackson into the cage and then moves his leg inside to trip Jackson down. Ribeiro tries working to pass guard, but Jackson begins firing away at the top of Ribeiro’s head with elbows, and this forces Ribeiro to cover up as opposed to actively moving out of guard. Mario Yamasaki decides to stand the two up. The two circle around and Ribeiro once again looks for a takedown. Jackson catches him with a right, and Ribeiro stumbles back. If the round didn’t come to an end, Ribeiro just might have caught a beating.

Ribeiro gets Jackson back on the ground, but once again can’t do anything. Jackson begins firing away on Ribeiro from the guard and even nails the Brazilian with a few elbows. The elbows are making their point known and Ribeiro decides to remove himself from Jackson and the two are back on their feet. Jackson fires off a couple of jabs and the two clinch up. Jackson forces Ribeiro into the cage and fires off a knee. Ribeiro however catches and ‘Xande’ ends up in Quinton’s guard again to end the round.

The move to the center of the ring where the first round is 29-28 – Ribeiro, 29-28 – Jackson, Bruce Buffer then announced 29-28 and remains quiet to let the moment sink in before he announced Quinton Jackson as the winner via Split Decision.

Winner via Split Decision – Quinton Jackson

The Post-Fight

Jackson says he’s not happy with his performance, but that Ribeiro was just aggressive as hell. He then finishes up by saying he’ll fight Forrest Griffin again to determine the next Light Heavyweight contender, but that he’s really focused on getting Muhammed Lawal again.

The Verdict

Considering the two individuals involved, this fight could have been much better. That’s not to say the fight was awful, because we did get to see some very solid moments from both competitors. However, compared to how the rest of the card has played out, I can only call this a decent fight.

Heavyweight: Anderson Silva(28-6) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga(14-5)

The Fight

Gonzaga moves in and catches a combination of punches from Anderson Silva and uses a jab as the final exclamation. Gonzaga responds by looking to shoot in, but Silva slips out of the way and follows up by catching Gonzaga with a kick right to the calf. Gonzaga steps in for an inside kick, but catches three jabs from Silva and is forced to back away. Gonzaga finally gets some offense in and catches Silva on the thigh with a kick, but Silva responds by rocking Gonzaga with an uppercut! Gonzaga takes the uppercut and looks to shoot in, but a straight jab knocks him to the canvas, Gonzaga is inviting Silva to his guard, but there’s no time left in the round to do anything with it.

Gonzaga fires some strikes Silva’s way, but Silva sways through them all. Gonzaga switches up and grabs hold of Silva and takes him to the ground, and Silva has no choice, but to pull guard. Gonzaga fires off a couple of elbows and then switches to side-control. Gonzaga fires a knee to Silva’s rib and then grabs an arm for an armbar. It looks locked in, but no! Silva somehow manages to slip away and pull Gonzaga back into guard in the process. Gonzaga looks to fire away on Silva, but none of the shots land cleanly and the round finishes with Gonzaga looking both impressive and tired.

Gonzaga fires some punches at Silva, but Silva manages to slip past every single one of them. Silva catches Gonzaga with another jab, and though Gonzaga looks rocked, he continues to try to strike back. This only further exhausts Gonzaga and Silva responds to the exhaustion by catching Gonzaga with three more punches. Gonzaga pushes through and manages to take Silva back down to the ground. Gabriel Gonzaga is too tired to do much of anything on the ground this time around, so Silva ends the round practically unscathed.

The two fighters make their way to the center of the ring where the fight is scored 29-27 across the board in favor of…what the hell? Gabriel Gonzaga picks up a Unanimous Decision win.

Winner via Unanimous Decision – Gabriel Gonzaga

The Post-Fight

Gonzaga is satisfied with his win and hopes he gets Velasquez next. Rogan goes over to speak to Silva who says he’s disappointed in the loss, but that he’s here to say.

The Verdict

I have no idea what the judges were watching, but Silva rocked Gonzaga at several instances in that fight. In fact, the only time Gonzaga got any kind of offense is when he managed to get Silva to the ground, but even then he didn’t do anything on the ground. A very weird decision to say the least and it really hurts the fight’s overall rating. As far as a show closer, I’d say it was decent.

UFC 134: Redemption Final Verdict

Well, the card had some very solid and exciting fights, up until the main event. There’s definitely going to be some new matches set up John Hendricks and Junior Dos Santos. And it’s really nice to see a guy like Joe Stevenson return to his winning ways. However, Dana White is going to have to do some major repackaging to Anderson Silva after suffering such an odd loss to Gabriel Gonzaga. And Jake Rosholt’s inexperience has finally been exposed at the hands of an established veteran in Nate Marquardt.

The show did well enough, the Ohio crowd was hyped. The fights were pretty exciting. I just see Dana White having an awful time trying to figure out what to do with golden boys Anderson Silva, Jake Rosholt, and Alexandre Ribeiro.

As always, I love hearing what you guys out there have to say about the show. You can drop e-mails my way at Emerson-blurcat@aol.com. I guess I’ll be seeing you for UFC 135.

UFC 134: Redemption Full Card Breakdown

Preliminary Card

Jim Miller defeated Gleirson Tibau via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Dan Miller defeated Sugita Yamanaka via TKO (4:29, Second Round)

Kurt Pellegrino defeated Mark Bocek via Submission (3:56, First Round)

John Howard defeated Paulo Thiago via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Scott Jorgensen defeated Rory Markham via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round)

Main Card

Joe Stevenson defeated Junie Browning via TKO (3:46, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

Junior Dos Santos defeated Chris Tuchscherer via Submission (3:24, First Round) Burcat Verdict: Great

Johny Hendricks defeated Matt Serra via TKO (3:39, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

Nate Marquardt defeated Jake Rosholt via Submission (3:19, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Quinton Jackson defeated Alexandre Ribeiro via Split Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Decent

Gabriel Gonzaga defeated Anderson Silva via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Decent

Congratulations to zackufc for predicting the right amount of winners. As a result, he will receive the Urijah Faber Silver Star t-shirt.

Alex Emerson’s UFC 134: Redemption Post-Fight Press Conference Report & Recap (Saturday, February 11th)

-Dana White opens up the night by saying that he was really surprised with how the event turned out. He admits that he wasn’t sure how the Ohio crowd would respond to the fight card, but he’s certainly glad that they much approved.

He goes on to the upcoming UFC schedule, and says that they are currently in works of finding a suitable location for UFC 137. He goes on to state that they may or may not venture overseas for said event. He does say that he will do his best to keep everyone updated on any future UFC 137 news.

Next, Dana went over the bonus awards for the night. He called the night another tough night of picks, but he’s confident in the choices. For Submission of the Night, Kurt Pellegrino and Nate Marquardt both take home bonuses for respectively pulling Mark Bocek into a triangle choke after being slammed and using a kimura to roll Jake Rosholt into an armbar. Knock Out of the Night comes down to both Joe Stevenson and Johny Hendricks for picking up some vicious TKO wins over some very A-Game opponents. Fight of the Night is awarded to Jake Rosholt and Nate Marquardt. Dana White said both fighters were all over each other in the first round, but the second round was complete fireworks with all the submission attempts.

Finally, Blurcat’s own Tom Bradburn asks White about how the title picture looks with Gabriel Gonzaga going over a fighter as lethal as Anderson Silva(who is absent from the conference, might I add). Dana White responds by announcing that Cain Velasquez’s first Heavyweight challenger will be Gabriel Gonzaga. He projects a summer meet-up being the most likely time for their encounter.

-Dana White wraps up and we move on to our first question of the night which is directed at Junior Dos Santos: Is he ready to fight elite level Heavyweights? Junior Dos Santos replies by saying he’s ready to fight whoever they put him in the Octagon with, but would especially love to compete against a fighter at the level of Brock Lesnar, Andrei Arlovski, or Frank Mir.

-Next up is Joe Stevenson who is beyond satisfied with his win earlier tonight. Stevenson claims that he’s ready to fight at the next event if possible and expresses intense interest in getting a rematch with Takanori Gomi.

-Johny Hendricks is asked how he sees himself compared to the other Welterweights, and Hendricks says he’d love to fill-in if any of the Welterweight tournament fighters can’t make it to the finals. He goes on to say that while Jon Fitch, Thiago Alves, Andre Galvao, and BJ Penn go on to decide our new Welterweight Champion, he’ll go on to accumulate a nice little win streak. He then finishes by saying he’ll be waiting for whoever comes out of the tourney with the belt.

-This sparks Tom Bradburn to ask Dana White what Matt Serra plans on doing. Dana White addresses the situation by saying that Matt Serra went up to him and told him that he’s going to need some time to really think about what he’s going to do next. There’s still no clear word on if this really was Serra’s last fight or not.

-Nate Marquardt says he’s beyond ready for Georges St. Pierre. He calls Jake Rosholt a much better wrestler and takedown artist than GSP, and says that if he can withstand Rosholt’s onslaught, than Georges St. Pierre won’t fair too well. When asked how important would it be to pick up a win over Pierre, Marquardt replies by saying it’s going to be the only thing on his mind until they meet-up. Once again, Dana White announces a potential late-summer meet-up for the two.

-Quinton Jackson wants another match with Mo Lawal, but acknowledges that his next opponent will more than likely be Forrest Griffin. Jackson knows the fans would like a rematch, and he personally wouldn’t mind fighting him again. Plus, there’s a pretty likely chance that he’ll be looking at a Light Heavyweight title fight when he wins, so that means more money for him.

-Gabriel Gonzaga is proud of his win over Anderson Silva, but he felt that there were instances where his work needs refining. He’s going to spend the next few months preparing for his encounter with Cain Velasquez and finishes by saying he hopes to be the next UFC Heavyweight Champion.

-Dana White finishes by announcing that they will report ticket sales and Pay Per View revenue in their financial report later in the week. From the sound of it though, it sounds like Zuffa got another money weekend. The group then gathers around for photos and UFC 134 is officially in the books.

Blurcat.com February MMA News

MMA Headlines for Week 2 of February

-Fighting & Entertainment Group have announced that Mitsuhiro Ishida will defend his DREAM Lightweight Championship against Gesias Cavalcante at DREAM 36

-World Victory Road have confirmed Sengoku 33 for Friday, March 2nd

-RAW Combat: Big Bang results are up. Be sure to check them out here!

-PFC 40 Weigh-In Roundtable is Wednesday night! Our special guest for the occasion will be the always entertaining Renzo Gracie. Check back tomorrow morning for the full event results.

-Rumor has it that Bellator FC are willing to do whatever it takes to sign WEC Bantamweight standout Antonio Banuelos.

-Cristiane Santos joins Friday’s episode of Crackdown. Click here to find out how she feels about the lack of a Women’s MMA scene in the US.

-Rashad Evans sat down with Blurcat’s Sam Stavarakakis for an exclusive interview. Within the interview, Evans talked about the change in scenery with switching from America to Japan when he signed with DREAM, and finishes up by saying that he loves his new home in DREAM. For the full interview, click here!

MMA Event Results for Week 2 of February

RAW Combat: Big Bang (Monday, February 13th)

Main Card

Deividas Taurosevicius defeated Paul Rodriguez via Submission (2:56, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Fantastic

Mike Ciesnolevicz defeated Chuck Grigsby via TKO (2:50, First Round) Blurcat Verdict: Fantastic

Rodrigo Damm defeated Ryan Schultz via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Poor

Alex Serdyukov defeated Che Mills via Submission (2:39, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Stephane Vigenault defeated Semmy Schilt via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Very Poor

Palace FC 40: Rip it Out (Wednesday, February 15th)

Preliminary Card

Terry Martin defeated Aaron Meisner via Unanimous Decision

John Fanchi defeated Matt Jaggers via Unanimous Decision

Main Card

Ross Pointon defeated Matt Arroyo via TKO (:24, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Great

Anthony Ruiz defeated Martin Desilets via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Decent

Ryan Madigan defeated Chris Lytle via Unanimous Decision (5:00, Third Round) Blurcat Verdict: Decent

Tim Sylvia defeated Abe Wagner via TKO (1:36, Second Round) Blurcat Verdict: Good

Alavutdin Gadzhiyev defeated Andrei Semenov via TKO to win the PFC Middleweight Championship (4:56, Third Round)

UFC News for Week 2 of February

Signings

Kijuro Toyoda has signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC.

Stuart Teacher says: This was an act of killing two birds with one stone as Dana White desperately wants to re-tap into the Japanese market and expand on his Heavyweight division. Kijuro Toyoda was a logical choice as the man is six fights into his career and is so far undefeated; if that weren’t enough, all of his previous wins have come by way of knock out. Dana White was smart to snatch him up before any of the other companies caught word.

Extensions

Goran Reljic has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Mauricio Rua has re-signed a five fight multi-year deal with UFC

Rousimar Palhares has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Alan Belcher has re-signed a three fight 18-month deal with UFC

Cuts

There are no cuts to announce this week

UFC 134 Financial Report

It looks like fans had intense interest in seeing Anderson Silva’s return fight in the Heavyweight division as Zuffa reported Monday morning that it’s 134th event titled Redemption that saw Anderson Silva square off with Gabriel Gonzaga in Silva’s first UFC Heavyweight bout gained $1,704,760 from ticket sales and an additional $4,847,696 in PPV buys. Of course, this means only good things for Zuffa LLC.

Big News for UFC 137

At the 134 Post-Fight Press Conference, UFC President Dana White expressed interest in going overseas with their next event. If memory serves correctly, the last time UFC held an event outside of the states was at Ultimate Fight Night: Japan back in September of 2010. Well, it seems like Dana White & Co will finally be packing their bags and venturing abroad as New South Wales will be the host location for UFC 137.

And it only gets better…

The Australian fans will not only be treated to their very first UFC event, but Nate Marquardt will meet Georges St. Pierre for the Middleweight Championship in the main event. We asked Dana White about why he was having their fight so soon when he announced a summer meet-up. Dana White replied to us by saying Marquardt is chomping at the bit for his title fight to take place as soon as possible, and GSP wants this match to happen as soon as possible, so why not treat the Australian crowd to a block buster main event?

In addition to that, ‘King Mo’ Muhammed Lawal will be returning to the Octagon to take on Light Heavyweight sensation Brandon Vera. This will be a test for both individuals as Muhammed Lawal is looking to once again prove himself as a major threat in the Light Heavyweight division and Brandon Vera is in need of that one big win to put him back into title contention.

The rest of the card is finalized and will be available on the UFC website by 5pm tonight. We’ll be sure to provide full details the minute we receive them.

John Howard on Big Cat Show

UFC fighter John Howard joined Ned Charles and Matt Natchios on Thursday’s edition of Big Cat Show. There wasn’t much going on around the studio, but both Blurcat staff members wanted to know how Howard felt over his 134 victory over Paulo Thiago. Howard laughs and says it was probably the worst fight on the entire card, but is really satisfied with a win over a quality opponent like Paulo Thiago.

As far as his future goes, Howard said he wants to be in the Octagon as soon as possible to make up for his very shoddy performance this past Saturday. Howards also hopes to be called up to the Main Card for his next UFC fight, but ultimately, it’s all up to Dana White and Joe Silva to determine that.

For the full show, click here!

Josh Barnett on Crackdown

We wrap up this week in MMA by having Josh Barnett join Alex Emerson and Gavin Banks for a Saturday night edition of Crackdown. Josh Barnett comments on UFC’s move to Australia by saying it’s big move on the international department but that he’s disappointed that he couldn’t be apart of the show. However, he does confirm that his next fight will be very soon.

As far as opponents go, Barnett didn’t say very much, but did hint that the previously mentioned Frank Mir could be a very likely possibility. He told the Crackdown hosts that he’s talked with both Mir and Dana White, and says that all parties seem very interested in that one taking place.

For the full Crackdown Podcast, click here!

Current UFC Schedule

Preliminary Card

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Main Card

UFC 137: Down Under (Saturday, May 12th. New South Wales, Australia)

Preliminary Card

Heavyweight: Tim Hague vs. Maresuke Maeno

Light Heavyweight: DaMarques Johnson vs. Eric Schafer

Lightweight: Aaron Riley vs. Josh Neer

Welterweight: Dustin Hazelett vs. Jake Ellenberger

Middleweight: Frederick Pendergarst vs. Gerald Harris

Welterweight: Jonathan Goulet vs. Kevin Burns

Main Card

Lightweight: Jose Aldo vs. Nate Diaz

Welterweight: Anthony Johnson vs. Carlos Condit

Heavyweight: Cheick Kongo vs. Junior Dos Santos

Light Heavyweight: Brandon Vera vs. Muhammed Lawal