What is this game like?

I'll put it this way: I bought the game when it came out in 2004/2005 and I play it every day for at least 30 minutes a day to this day.

The game is what it says, an American college football simulation that covers everything from preseason budgets, scheduling, redshirting, on into the season with gameplanning, playing out games in single player mode, balancing depth charts and then the postseason recruiting, transfers and player training.

It's a point and click interface and is extremely in-depth, but the replay factor comes for me through the online leagues (of which I run one of them) and the communities that have sprung up around them to support the game.

I've never played a game this long and put so many hours into one. For me, this game, while it has its' flaws, is gold. Check out the demo on the GDS downloads page and give it a whirl! And if you buy it, definitely check out the different online leagues.

I agree with much of what Kenny just said. I've also owned and played BBCF for about four years, but I've always played solo. At some point I'll probably hook up with an online league, but I've always been worried that I'll get too busy and end up neglecting my team too much.

I think the game is a lot of fun, and it's realistically challenging. If I play with an elite program, I'll win a national championship from time to time, but certainly not every year (I've won two straight championships with Auburn, but that's my longest winning streak.) I can successfully recruit five-star players when I'm coaching a big-time school, but I can't recruit all the players I want, and if I can't find playing time for all my studs, they'll transfer.

I've built some less prestigious teams into winners, but I have to be smart and patient, like any "real" coach in my position would have to be. I can't sign a bunch of blue-chippers to a school like Kent State, but I can find less highly regarded players who fit the system I want to run and achieve success that way.

I think most college football fans who don't mind giving up the features a console game offers would enjoy BBCF.

Archived