How do you calculate Prestige?

For those of you that have made or edited pstat files: What method did you use in calculating prestige? Please post any links, formulas, ideas here. I have played around with it, but I haven't come up with anything that "feels" right.

Thanks for your help!

When I did my original DI-AA mod, I took the final computer rankings for the previous 5 seasons and built a weighted average scale, then I took the average and set parameters to group about 5 teams in each prestige scale starting at 80.

Kenny,

Thanks for your reply. I hope others also respond.

If you were doing IA (or whatever they call it now) would you give a boost for certain conference ratings (such as SEC is minimum 40 points)?

And if so which conferences deserve a "boost", and which conferences should be "capped" (at maybe 45 - 50 points fo the top team)?

Kenny,

I tried your idea. I used the Howell average individual team ratings over the last 3 years. I then calculated the overall average rating for all teams over these years. The ratings worked out pretty well, even without a boost!

Thanks for the idea!

Steve

Here is what I did over one glorious weekend when I was first getting into the game. I started by finding some "all-time prestige rankings" online (I want to say they came from ESPN one way or another) and analyzed them along with the prestige #s that come with the game and records over the last 5 years. You can find all of that in the first several columns of the spreadsheet that is attached. After that, I have to warn you that I am a high school statistics teacher and I was having fun, treating the process as an art form as much as a science :) My goal was to have the 120 teams reflect a normal distribution in prestige ratings. Good luck in trying to follow what I did from there... I'm not even sure I could trace it back. I know that the numbers highlighted in yellow were my "initial re-rankings." If you are a spreadsheet fan you might at least get a few minutes of enjoyment out of it. Feel free to use the data, I wish I had a better recollection of where it all came from!

new prestige.zip

Archived