Welcome. You Know The Drill.

February 2011, week 4

Dammit, Acid. You won't talk to me, but you'll go join FCW? Figures.

I had put out a few feelers for new talent, but was a bit distracted by Glenn deciding to join the 'let's work for FCW' crowd that was growing. Even worse, American Elemental, a man who I had decided was going to be the one to unseat Holmes, had refused to renegotiate with me... but, so far, had yet to accept his offer to the big leagues, either. Regardless, even if he didn't jump ship... his contract with us was up in under two months, anyway.

What we did was hire on The Blonde Bombshell, and quick divided up the undercard into two groups: one group managed by Rita Charles, the other by Blondie. Perhaps some managerial help was needed for these new kids after all.

CZCW Onslaught #56

We plot all-out action to counter last week's show. We open with a six-man Xtreme title match, which sees Fire Fly retain over Ant-Man, Weasel, Moose, Panda, and Perez. Surprisingly (or not), it's just an average match. We follow that up with what should be passable, as Snap Dragon defeats American Flash... but surprisingly, it sucks. I'm starting to give up on Flash as working singles... which si bad, as his partner is leaving soon. Next up, Teddy Powell has a good match with KC Glenn; the two don't work well together and it still was almost main-event quality. We follow that up with Ultimate Phoenix defeating Speedball... and that match really should have been better than it was. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not great... we expected great. Finally, our main event saw American Elemental try and fail to unseat Bryan Holmes, but he knew other companies were watching... so instead of sandbagging, he turned in a great performance as the two went nearly half an hour.

(Show rating: C, 1,908 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Elemental. Trash of the Night: Dragon/Flash)

On the next Welcome: Oh, yeah, we need to exploit the heck out of that match as long as we can...

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 2011, week 1

We finally got CZCW: Year In Review 2010 DVD out through the website; nice match listing, if I say so myself. Donnie J / Remmy Skye / James Prudence ladder match... myself over Remmy Skye... Bryan Holmes defeating Matt Sparrow... Insane Machine... Sparrow -and- Machine... Sparrow again... Machine again... Cougar/Reed/Machine... Holmes/Reed... Reed/Holmes/Machine... Holmes/Donnie J... Cougar/Reed... Speedball/Elemental... Holmes/Elemental (Ah, we had run that match before...), and ending with the last match of the year, Holmes/Phoenix. Nearly all ladder matches, all Zone classics from the year, and all can be yours for $24.99, plus tax, shipping, and handling.

CZCW Onslaught #57

Trying something different tonight.

Our opening match is an Xtreme Title match between Amazing Fire Fly and KC Glenn. It starts off really good... and gets better from there, as these two undercarders put on an early contender for match of the year... this ten-minute match is, second-for-second, just as good as last week's Holmes/Elemental encounter! Glenn gets the victory and is your new Xtreme Champion, but both men come out of this smelling like roses.

Next up, Ultimate Phoenix attemtps to get a decent singles match out of American Flash, and only succeeds in 'average'.

Snap Dragon and Marc Speed clash in a decent enough bout that saw Speedball pick up the victory.

And finally (yes, a four-match show), Holmes/Elemental II. Erm, Elemental/Holmes II, just to prevent confusion. Every bit as good as their last meeting, this one gets more time, sending it to nearly forty minutes and giving us our first show to have two Match Of The Year candidates. Holmes retains, but the fans are the real winners.

(Show rating: C, 2,000 tickets sold. Match of the Night: Fire Fly/Glenn and Holmes/Elemental. Trash of the Night: Nothing.)

On the next Welcome: Okay, that's another match we've got to exploit... but this one we can afford to save the exploiting for later. What's next for Elemental on his 'farewell tour'? And have we chosen someone to replace him as the dethroner of Holmes?

March 2011, week 2

So, I've been neglecting the rest of the wrestling world. Let's fill you in on what's been going on.

GCG has been on a rocket ride, rising to Cult and then, a year later, to National. TCW rose to Internation... three weeks after SWF reached Global. So natrually, TCW followed them to Global five months later. In the space of four months, WEXXV went from Small to Regional to Small to Regional. 4C and CGC started working together; USPW and NYCW started fighting. FCW recently hit Regional (which was why they were going after a lot of our talent), and NYCW had risen to that level earlier as well. Oh, and as I write this, MOSC has gone out of business.

There hadn't been a whole lot of movement as far as owners and head bookers went; injuries were the big story. I somehow hadn't realized that my old friend Plague broke his next in April last year. Even worse, some kid working for MAW broke his back. And a very pretty girl I wanted to work with in Japan, HEART Saito, had suffered a severe concussion. We had a large number of the 'old guard' retiring; this was probably another reason for SWF and TCW to be bringing in fresh new talent. Just, why does it have to be -my- talent?

Gino Montero, a Lucha second-generation star we had our eye on for the future, was jailed for a couple years for perjury. Oh, and Nemesis came back to wrestling, looking to revolutionize the industry by... being a manager for CWWF.

… maybe Nemmie took one too many shots to the head...

CZCW Onslaught #58

It's time to get the titles off of Team America, and Rich & Famous gets elected to do the job. Strangely enough, it results in a match that we'd've been happy ot have main event a year ago. How much of that is Elemental, and how much is actually Jackpot and Idol -*gasp*- learning? We follow that up with an Xtreme Title match as KC Glenn defends against Jeremiah Moose, to see if he can work miracles... and he can't, we just get an average match out of it. Next up is Snap Dragon defeating Teddy Powell to try and lay claim to a title shot in a really good match, and then Ultimate Phoenix defeats Speedball for the same reason... but in only an average match. We should have switched those two up. Finally, in our main event, Amazing Fire Fly goes after a new title against Bryan Holmes. He doesn't get it... but he comes damn close a few times, and puts on one hell of a match. The youngster should be due to move up the card soon...

(Show rating: C, 2,000 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Fire Fly. Trash of the night: None.)

On the next Welcome: A minor change in the roster could cause headaches. Who's leaving, who's coming in?

March 2011, week 3

While he was a nice enough guy, the giant Jebediah never really fit in here, and so we had declined to renew his contract. That did leave us short a bit on the roster, so I spoke with a few new people about coming in. Replacing him on the low rung of the jobber ladder was the Swede, Nigel Svenson. Nigel was a technical brawler who had worked two matches in the last year-and-a-bit; one for ROF and one in the British indies. He was an unknown over here, but came cheap. With any luck, he'd pick up some flying and teach the undercarders some of the basics.

Our other new roster member was “The Real Deal” Rob Reynolds. This was a guy who seemed like he'd fit in perfect here, as long as he had someone in the ring with him to keep his matches from getting too spotty.

CZCW Onslaught #59

(Side note: Whoo-hoo! 100% Backstage! Best work environment in the world!)

Tonight's show opens with Amazing Fire Fly taking on the newcomer Svenson. Nigel had some definate ring rust, and the crowd wasn't into either of them (Fire Fly can't seem to hit Midcarder)... but if these two are turning out average matches at this point, then imagine them a year from now? Next up, Rich and Famous make their first tag team defense against Ant-Man and Antix: The Colony. (Yes, I know. In the CornelVerse, it's original.) The match stops just shot of not sucking, but the undercarders are learning. From Jordan and Idol. Scary.

Up next, Phoenix and Powell go... five minutes before a DQ for an accidental ref punch. The crowd hates it, it sucks, but I needed to fit them on the card and didn't have much time to work with. After that, I return from my self-imposed recovery time to take on Rob Reynolds; I get the victory, and it's just an average match, but it lets me get a sense of what he can do.

For our main event festivities, we first have KC Glenn defending the Xtreme Title against American Elemental... who, of course, is jobbing out for the next month and is professional enough to still perform, unlike some Donnie J's we might mention. After that, Holmes takes on Snap Dragon in a good, long match that will definitely be on the best of 2011 DVD. Not -the- best... but up there, as Holmes retains.

(Show rating: C, 1,955 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Dragon. Trash of the Night: Phoenix/Powell)

On the next Welcome: Another new tag team makes a shot at the titles, Elemental needs someone to job to, and we need to find someone to challenge for titles...

Cranking out those C's.

By the by, isn't it Svensson, with two 's's

They prettied his nick up for the Americans.

And even while being poached all over the place, this incarnation of CZCW seems serene and stable by comparison.

Still digging the zone after all these years infinifty.

And even while being poached all over the place, this incarnation of CZCW seems serene and stable by comparison.

Speaking from October 2011... poached all over the place... yeah, that's a good description for it. As for serene and stable... we've probably got the best backstage environment of any company. That's always stayed the same. Stable? Meh... stable is boring. :)

March 2011, week 4

Rayne Man found work in NYCW; he beat Land Mass in his first match, and it was actually passable. Coleman and Donnie J were still unemployed.

In TCW, Art Reed was undefeated so far this year. Jimmy Foxx, on the other hand, was unvictorious... as was Insane Machine. Frankie Perez was more down than up, and Mikey James was still All Action Champion.

In SWF, Remmy Skye appears to have won a long-running feud with Spencer Spade. Our old buddy Valiant is still tag champ, and James Prudence has more draws than anyone else in the company this year. Oh, and Citizen X is doing really poorly... we had a feeling he'd be in their next round of cuts, but then, Cliff wouldn't let us hire him back anyway...

CZCW Onslaught #60

A bit of a change this week, as we open with our championship match, with Holmes taking on... Jackpot Jordan? Jordan gets a Zone title shot – shock #1. That the two have great chemistry is shock #2. The fact that it's main-event quality is shock #3. The next match, with Teddy Powell vs Jake Idol, is average at best after that, with Powell going over. Moose defeats Nigel, and that's about as good as can be expected... meaning, it sucks. But the Xtreme Title match after that, KC Glenn vs Jonnie Perez, perks up the crowd and rivals our opener for action.

Our semi-main pits Fire Fly against Elemental, with Fire Fly going over. Not as good as their previous matches, but there's no title or ladder involved in this one. Then, our big main event, a four-way ladder match for the #1 Contendership. Myself, Phoenix, Speedball, and Dragon. Phoenix gets the win, but the reaction from the crowd all match long is amazing as we nearly go a full twenty minutes and the crowd is on their feet by the end. I'm told it's a match of the year contender...

(Show rating: C, 1,869 tickets. Match of the night: 4-way contendership. Trash of the night: Moose/Nigel.)

On the next Welcome: We're back to kicking out awesome shows on a regular basis. Does this mean growing pains are on the way? Well... not yet...

April 2011, week 1

After finding out that we were putting on the best shows in the region again, the financial guy Cliff keeps locked in a closet somewhere told me he thought we could get away with charging more for tickets. Which was good. Y'know, an extra four grand a show, four shows a month... that could be some good pocket change. I had a plan for it.

CZCW Onslaught #61

Tonight, your Tag Team Challengers are Air Attack Weasel and Panda Mask. They fail in their attempt, of course, but we get an average opening match out of it. We follow that up with Jeremiah Moose defeating Brendan Idol in a match that almost doesn't suck, and then Rob Reynolds defeating American Flash. It's a toss-up as to which match is worse.

To get things back on track, KC Glenn defends the Xtreme Title against American Elemental in yet another good match for the two, and then our main event pits Holmes against Phoenix for the Zone Title, and the two of them proceed to take everything they've learned and improve on it. Holmes retains, but watching these two veteran professionals go at it is a real treat.

(Show rating: C, 1,907 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Phoenix. Trash of the night: Moose/Idol or Reynolds/Flash.)

On the next Welcome: Needing more time, Fox bumps the shows up to two full hours. Will the extra time put a strain on our roster, or will it simply mean needing to find more good combinations between our people?

April 2011, week 2

I tried talking to Donnie, to see if I could get him to come back to replace American Elemental. He hadn't found work yet; but he was still ticked at me for not returning his calls. I tried explaining I had a good reason... but he wouldn't listen.

CZCW Onslaught #62

Our opening match is a Zone Title match between Bryan Holmes and Marc Speed. We go with a long, slow build, and the results between these two is a huge payoff... and the crowd going wild as Speedball grabs the belt first to become the new Zone champion! Holmes is livid!

Phoenix takes on newcomer Nigel Svenson; it's a short match that Phoenix dominates, but still comes out being above average. After that, Rich and Famous takes on Jonnie Perez and Rob Reynolds – not a good match, but it escapes sucking, with the champs retaining. Then, I take on Amazing Fire Fly and defeat him in a main-event-quality match. American Elemental continues to job, this time to Teddy Powell; I think it's getting to him, as this was just an average match, he's starting to sandbag.

And finally, Holmes comes out to announce he wants his rematch, tonight. Out comes Speedball for the rematch, and... it sucked. It sucked hard. And the crowd let them know it, and never let them forget it.

(Show rating: D-, 2,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/Speed. Trash of the Night: Holmes/Speed II.)

On the next Welcome: Well... that was a mistake. Time to go into damage control mode...

April 2011, week 3

We renewed Weasel's contract, and Elemental took his leave of the company; NOTBPW had made him an offer that he had decided he was going to try to add to his other commitments.

Other than that, really slow week. We looked at the available talent, but didn't see anyone suited to taking Elemental's spot on the roster. And my player's Star Trek Online download it up to 53%; only about three and a half more gigs left. All this for a five-day trial...

CZCW Onslaught #63

The downside of a two-hour show: I have to put the undercarders on a lot more. Let's hope the main events can pick up the slack.

Your opening match tonight: We throw together Speedball and Rob Reynolds in a tag team to see if the youngster can learn from the master. They defeat The Remnants, but that's mainly attributes to Speedball's skill – the two of them don't work as a team at all. Pity, that... after a month or two, we were going to rotate the titles onto them.

We follow this up with KC Glenn retaining the Xtreme Title over Amazing FireFly in a really good match when Air Attack Weasel snuck in and attacked Fire Fly (For those keeping track, 'Really Good' has replaced 'main-event-quality' as our description of a C- match). Could've sworn I scheduled this for later in the night, but oh well. Jonnie Perez defeats Roger Montiero in a terrible match, Teddy Powell defeats Jackpot Jordan in an average bout, and Air attack Weasel lost to Nigel Svenson when Fire Fly returned the favor from earlier in the night.

To cap off the night's festivities, I defeated Ultimate Phoenix in a fairly decent match, and then Bryan Holmes defended the Zone Title against Snap Dragon. It's another long, slow-build match, which seems to suit Holmes, as it's worthy of being the main event... and we'd better hope it suits Dragon, because he is your new Zone Champion – and there's not enough time for a rematch tonight.

(Show rating: C-, 1,871 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Dragon. Trash fo the Night: Perez/Montiero)

On the next Welcome: New champion Dragon knows Holmes will want a rematch, but puts it off for a bit to do something else...

April 2011, week 4

Another slow week. We renewed Marc Speed's contract. He was now one of the highest-paid people on the roster, mainly because we didn't want to let him go. We also tried to entice Ricky DeColt to take a tour of the Zone, but he declined. Our options for replacements were growing quite low.

CZCW Onslaught #64

Triangle Tournament Time! This time, the title match is next week, as we've got something else going here. Our opening match is round one, myself, Teddy Powell, and Jackpot Jordan. (God help me, he's still an uppercarder). We put on a totally average ladder match, and I get the victory. We move on to the epicly-anticipated Fire Fly / Weasel fight we set up last week, and we're surprised when it comes out better than expected – better than my match, actually. Fire Fly wins, but Weasel seems motivated to start doing better. Reynolds beats Svenson in a “Who are these guys again?” match which strains for average, but fails. The rest of the midcard is thrown together, and I'm anxious to see what happens as I didn't bother telling them who should win. In the end, Moose and Brendan Idol beat Flash and Perez, and the match doesn't quite manage to suck. Then, in an Xtreme Title match, KC Glen defeats Ant-Man in a short, dominating match that almost doesn't break average.

Our sub-main event tonight is the second part of the Triangle Tournament match, Holmes vs Phoenix vs

Jake Idol. Yes, Jake Idol. His partner was in the other one, it made sense to me. Holmes wins, but Idol's presence prevents the match from being really good. Then, in our main event: Snap Dragon. Marc Speed. CZCW Title. It's another long, slow-build match, but it doesn't suit these two as well as Holmes... or maybe the fans just aren't used to the idea of someone other than Holmes holding the title. Dragon retains, putting away the former champ to retain.

(Show rating: C-, 1,994 tickets. Match of the Night: Dragon/Speed. Trash fo the Night: Reynolds/Svenson.)

On the next Welcome: Did we make the wrong call with our new champion? Can Dragon pick up the pace? And will Dragon/Holmes/Fox rock, or blow?

May 2011, week 1

Oh, screw you, RIPW. You want KC Glenn? Go ahead.

We've got a pair of signings that'll have the Zone set for the next little while. Our roster was, if not secure, then robust.

If this show doesn't blow 'em out of the water, nothing will.

CZCW Onslaught #65

Our opening match is Marc Speed defeating Nigel Svenson. Nigel's shaken off the ring rust now; all that's keeping him from being a main eventer is the fact nobody knows who the hell he is. This match goes a good way toward changing that. We follow it up with the designated trash of the night as Panda Mask gets a quick victory out of nowhere over Antix. Then, a special six-man midcard tag match, as the team of Weasel, Flash, and Reynolds defeated the team of Moose, Perez, and Brendan. Surprisingly enough, it was a good, average match. We follow that with Teddy Powell vs Ultimate Phoenix; Powell goes over this time, and we're slowly inching our way up the quality meter.

Annnd then we kick into high gear, as Amazing Fire Fly takes the Xtreme Title away from KC Glenn in one hell of a match; suitable for main eventing any show. Then, the tag champs of Rich and Famous lose their tag titles to... the Zone's newest imports, Owen Love and The Natural: The Can-Am Blondes. Sadly, the match is... only average, which is a total letdown. We'll just blame that on the former champs.

And finally, our main event: Dragon vs Holmes vs Myself for the Zone Title. We work in everything we can, ending with my and Holmes in each other's face as Dragon drops a ladder on both of us, then uses it as a jumping-off point to grab his title to retain. If I say so myself: Match of the Year candidate, right here.

(Show rating: C, 2,000 tickets. Match of the night: Dragon/Holmes/Fox. Trash of the night: Panda/Antix.)

On the next Welcome: It's time to party as the Can-Am Blondes join a company that includes... well, not much in the way of tag teams. But we can deal with that later...

May 2011, week 2

Glenn went and surprised us. He'd had two offers: A typical one with WLW, and a developmental deal from RIPW. He went with WLW, leaving him available to still work for us. Well... we'd have to reward him for his loyalty. Pity we just ripped his title away from him...

CZCW Onslaught #66

Tonight, we open with a match that'll tick off two people, as Amazing Fire Ffly retains the Xtreme Title over Jackpot Jordan and Jake Idol in a triple-threat match. Despite being upset at jobbing, the two act professional and we get a decent opening match out of the mess. We can't say the same about Air Attack Weasel defeating Roger Montiero... we need to get the crowd caring about some of our undercarders pretty soon here, and matches like this won't help. Our next match, however, will. We've teamed KC Glenn and Nigel Svenson as Future Shock, the future superstars of the Zone. Together, they defeat The New Remnants of Flash and Moose, and it's an average match all around, despite Moose's bad attitude. Things only get a little worse as the newly-resigned Brendan Idol defeats Panda Mask – the match actually doesn't suck, and the two are improving. We start the build to the main events with a Pro-Am challenge: Myself and Rob Reynolds vs Marc Speed and Jonnie Perez. We get a pretty good match out of the undercarders, a perfect setup for our two main events.

Our first main even match is for the Zone title, Snap Dragon defending against Ultimate Phoenix. These two put on a match that would normally end any of our shows, giving us a great match, ending with Dragon retaining his title. I'll make him main event material yet. The final match off the night is also our most expensive in history, as The Can-Am Blondes defending the Tag Team Titles against... Team DAVE. Yet another damn good match occurs, the two teams battling back and forth until Owen Love manages to retrieve the titles from above the ring.

(Show rating: C-, 2,000 tickets. Match of the night: Dragon/Phoenix or Can-Am/DAVE. Trash of the Night: Weasel/Montiero.)

On the next Welcome: Oh, c'mon, two C matches gives us a C- show? Even when we do great, we do poorly...

May 2011, week 3

There's times when I hate my job. Paranoia's contract was coming up. I wanted to resign him, at least keep him on the roster until his neck healed up. Cliff, however, refused; his big new thing was for the next few years, we wouldn't waste time teaching kids ring psychology, they had to know it before coming in. And Paranoia, since he hasn't had a chance to learn in the last six-seven months, didn't qualify.

I felt like a jerk when I let Paranoia know it would be the last month he'd be in the Zone for the forseeable future.

RIPW came a-hunting again, this time angling for Jake Idol. We decided to fight for him – not that we were really dedicated to pushing him, but we were running out of other people to bring in – we'd rather not lose one.

CZCW Onslaught #67

This should be a good show. We start with a five-man Xtreme Ladder match with Weasel, Fire Fly, Panda, Brendan, and Ant-Man. Brendan needs an animal-themed gimmick. We should make that a requirement for undercarders. This is a pretty good match that has Fire Fly go over, but there's enough back-and-forth that any of the others could easily make the case for a one-on-one title match. The 'traditional letdown match' is next, with Jonnie Perez defeating Antix. Future Shock is in action again, this time in a losing effort against Rich & Famous. The match is average, which is about what we were hoping for. Speedball drags Roger Montiero to a non-sucking match. To one-up him, Bryan Holmes then drags Rob Reynolds to an even better match. And, in the final build-up to the main event, The Can-am blondes defeated The New Remnants in a, sadly, average match.

For our main events, Teddy Powell went over Ultimate Phoenix in... a match we had hoped would be much, much better. We wouldn't put this on as a main event if we had known it would be this... well, not-great. Dragon and I put on a better match, but not by much... we all know this wasn't a great a show, and Dragon is being a dominant champion but not the crowd isn't really buying him for some reason.

(Show rating: C-, 2,000 tickets. Match of the Night: Fox/Dragon. Trash of the Night: Perez/Antix.)

On the next Welcome: Will we manage to stem our roster bleed-out?

May 2011, Week 4

In an odd bit of trivia, in the last five months of RIPW shows, Matt Sparrow is 0-5. All three of his opponents have been called up within two months.

But RIPW wouldn't be getting their hands on Jake Idol, as they weren't willing to go up to $600 a show. We were. Bet that would give Jackpot Jordan yet another thing to kvetch about. “Why didn't /I/ get a raise?” “We're already paying you more than you're worth, ya diva.”

CZCW Onslaught #68

Okay, this one'll either rock, or be a train wreck. We open with a triple threat match between Moose, Weasel, and Flash. I don't bother to tell them what to do, just tell them to go chew up twelve minutes, and someone get a pinfall when Pee-Wee gives the signal. They give me a non-offensive match ending with Weasel pinning Moose. Our next match... sucks. I knew it would suck. That's why I had our road guy script it out. It still sucked. Jonnie Perez pinned Rob Reynolds. And it sucked. Somewhat better... well, average, at least... was myself and Ultimate Phoenix getting a win over Future Shock in an effort to show they could hang with us. I... don't think it quite worked that well. But at least it wasn't as bad as Rich & Famous over The Colony. Guys... you're a hair's breadth away from being main eventers by default. You shouldn't be putting on matches like that.

In a surprising good match, Bryan Holmes went over Brendan Idol; and The Natural beat Amazing Fire Fly in a non-titlle match that was just as good. The match that we expected would be good, Teddy Powell over Owen Love... wasn't, as it just just better than average. Luckily, our main event: Snap Dragon vs Marc Speed for the Zone title, was every bit as good as we had hoped, and then some.

(Show rating: C-, 2,000 tickets sold. Match of the Night: Dragon/Speed. Trash of the Night: Perez/Reynolds)

On the next Welcome: Hey, that's a solid month we sold out the Grissom. Regardless of how it feels, things are definitely getting better.

June 2011, Week 1

So a show with two great matches is as good as one with one great match... moral of the story, don't blow everything you have on a single show. Although it's nice to see we've got some good undercard vs main eventer matches we can run.

We were in danger of losing another roster member; Bryan Holmes had gotten an offer from Pride Glory Honor Wrestling. They do written contracts – we were fairly sure we wouldn't be able to compete, but we'd try.

CZCW Onslaught #69

It could be a weak show tonight. The Can-Am Blondes had a prior engagement they had to be at.

Our opening match is Rich & Famous defeating Jeremiah Moose and Jonnie Perez. The match is barely passable; between Moose and Jordan's attitudes and Perez's relative inexperience... well, we'll take it. What we won't take is the six-man that comes after it; Antix, Ant-Man and Flash lose to Weasel, Panda, and Nigel, with Nigel doing the bulk of the work; I guess the main problem was the crowd was silent. We start to drag things back to decent as I defeat Marc Speed; we only manage an average match, but we're getting the crowd back into things. The crowd gets louder as Teddy Powell defeats KC Glenn.

In a match that may steal the show, Ultimate Phoenix defeats Fire Fly in a non-title match that probably should have gone on last; our main event now has to follow this, and I don't envy Dragon and Holmes. I'm hoping Holmes is professional even though I'm asking him to job again, just in case he takes the PGHW contract. It turns out, he is; and the hot crowd from the last match feeds into this one, as Dragon goes for the title at the twenty-minute mark... and gets pulled down. There isn't another attempt to get the titles for another ten minutes. And it's not until sometime after the forty-three-minute mark that we finally have our result, as Dragon retains in yet another Match Of The Year candidate.

(Show rating: C, 2,0... 83 tickets? Awwww, crud... Match of the night: Dragon/Holmes. Trash of the Night: The six-man.)

June 2011, Week 2

Yeah. Due to a paperwork mistake, we accidently booked the Gorski instead of the Grissom last week. Luckily, it wasn't that expensive a mistake; maybe ten grand down the drain.

Phoenix sprained his ankle during his match with Fire Fly; he should be fine by our next show, but at his age every little bit begins to add up. GCG joined the 'keep Bryan Holmes from going to PGHW' Facebook group; unfortunately, we didn't think we could compete with -one- written contract offer, nevermind two.

After our Random Trivia Bit from earlier: Matt Sparrow has just been called up to the main SWF roster.

Oh, and for those wondering: The official Match Of The Year for 2010: Art Reed over Masked Cougar, August 2010. The Match Of The Year for 2011 already has some strong contenders.

CZCW Onslaught #70

Once more, The Can-Ams were working elsewhere. Note to self: Make sure this won't be a regular thing. If so, consider changing show dates.

We open with Amazing Fire Fly retaining his Xtreme Title over Rob Reynolds in a decent match; Rob seemed to do fine when you pair him up with someone who knows what they're doing. Afterwards, Nigel Svenson dragged Jeremiah Moose to a bearable match, and even got the victory. Moose, needless to say, was not happy. In a better-than-expected match, Jake Idol got a victory over Mark Speed; I'm starting to think it's Jordan who's holding the team down, not an equal-blame thing like I had been thinking.

… or maybe not. Our next match is KC Glenn vs Jackpot Jordan, and holy freakin' crap... this should've been our main event! This was... never thought I'd say this about a Jackpot Jordan match... awesome! Jordan just got himself on the 'Best Of 2011' DVD... and the scary thing is, I have to follow this! It's me, Powell, and Dragon in a triple-threat Zone Title match, and we all try extra-hard so none of us has to hear “Dude, Jordan put on a better match than you.” We manage to equal the previous match, and Dragon retains his title. I think the fans are starting to buy him a bit more. Finally, our main event: Ultimate Phoenix vs Bryan Holmes in a ladder match for the #1 Contendership. We figure it's been long enough since they last faced off, we can try this again. And we are correct. Riding the wave of momentum off the last two matches, these two manage to top it and steal the show. Next week: Dragon vs Phoenix.

(Show rating: C, 2,000 tickets. Match of the night: Phoenix/Holmes. Trash of the Night: Nigel/Moose, but barely.)

On the next Welcome: Well... holy crap. Let's go with singles careers for Rich & Famous for a while. Is it possible we had decent uppercarders and never realized it? Cool. What could possibly go wrong now?

Archived