Golden Canvas' Golden Anniversary

http://i50.tinypic.com/2yw7oll.jpg

It's amazing what changes can happen in a year. It's even more amazing what fifty years can do.

Golden Canvas Grappling started in May of 1960, the first major promotion to appear in Japan after a “dark era” of wrestling that started with the close of Giant Pro Wrestling in 1933. There wasn't a single event in the 27 years between the close of GPW and the opening of GCG. Golden Canvas was a key fixture in rebuilding the public image of professional wrestling as a legitimate, noble sport

The 70's was a big time in Japanese wrestling. Master Kitozon who started his career with GCG in '62, jumped ship to BHOTWG, becoming a national hero, and the person that helped BHOTWG combat GCG and it's young stars like Yoshinaka Toshusai, Hanshiro Furusawa, and Sadaharu Jimbo. The two fought tooth and nail, trading the first and second spots back and forth throughout the decade. The emergence of Elemental gave BHOTWG the clear advantage leading into the 80's. Yoshifusa Maeda's feud with Kazu Yoshikawa was the only high point for GCG in the 80's, as former star Hanshiro Furusawa took the promotion over and had a series of poor business decisions that lead the promotion to ruin as BHOTWG flourished on the backs of Hooded Kudo, Optimus, Sam Keith, and Dread.

From that point on GCG was in serious trouble. The 90's showed little progress for GCG, with the promotion still being headlined by Yoshikawa and Maeda, along with the newly acquired Dread who came over from BHOTWG. The company was in trouble and there wasn't much that couldn't be done for it without an infusion of fresh blood, that didn't come for another decade. Instead the crowds dwindled, and the finances were tighter than ever. It was not a bright period period for the company that had brought professional wrestling back to Japan. The 2000's were not a giant improvement, but it was definitely a step in the right direction. The next generation of GCG stars finally arrived in the form of Kiminobu Kuroki, and the proteges of Yoshifusa Maeda and Kazu Yoshikawa, Hiroyasu Gakusha and Toshiharu Hyobanshi, respectively. This coupled with gaijins Jimmy Cox and legendary “Pistol” Pete Hall helped GCG define itself in the new millennium. Then, one of the biggest moments in the company's history happened in 2009.

With the INSPIRE rebellion done and over with, Kikkawa and crew returned to BHOTWG, ousting Kaneie Komine from not just his position as owner, but from the promotion completely. This didn't sit well with head booker Haruki Kudo, who promptly resigned and did the unthinkable, immediately joining GCG, trying to “stick it” to his former employers by leading their oldest rivals into a new era of glory.

That's where I come in. I like to consider myself a wrestling historian. The entire history wrestling you just read? Off the top of my head, no research required. Unfortunately for me that's one of my few talents in life, but hey, you gotta take 'em when you get 'em, right? Where were we though? That's right, GCG's resuscitation. Haruki Kudo was no doubt a genius booking BHOTWG through their brightest years. But I'm a pretty good armchair booker myself, with a large portion of my life's success coming from a monthly column on fantasy booking I pen in one of Japan's biggest wrestling magazines. The same one Mr. Komine worked for prior to his time with BHOTWG. That's how I came into contact with Kudo.

Kudo and I had the honor of conversing multiple times, mostly me gushing over how amazing he is and him feeling uncomfortable that a grown adult was acting so childish. But we grew to have a mutual respect for each other's minds, and that's why I got the call when he moved to GCG. Apparently Hanshiro Furusawa had given Haruki full creative control of GCG, understanding how badly he had ruined the company over the last couple of decades. Haruki wanted to be able to focus a lot of his time on keeping his in-ring work at the same level it had been known for over his career (which he confessed was becoming difficult as he grew older), and so he brought me in to do a bulk of the creative work. I ultimate had to run everything past him, but I was honored to even have a job with the most historic company in wrestling.

So there you have it, my story, as to how we arrived at this point. You might be wondering who exactly I am? Well, wouldn't you like to know...

http://i49.tinypic.com/20udapc.jpg

I was just finishing up at the office and was packing up to head out to the GCG offices in Kanto to meet with Kudo and Furusawa to discuss the a handful of topics, including the first show of the new year, and any additional talent we may bring in for the tour.

On the way out I ran into Kaneie Komine, who had since returned to work following his dismissal from BHOTWG. One would figure he'd come out firing, slandering his former workers and dishing more and more dirt with each new issue we released. But that wasn't the case. The man who was known for how he manipulated his way to the top of the industry was now an everyman. He was working an office job, with deadlines, angry bosses, and a general lack of vigor. You could look into his eyes and see how his experience had crushed his soul. A once aggressive, driven, proud man was now a shell of his former self. Instead he was now timid, anti-social, and pessimistic. Tetsuzan Kaneko had killed this man inside, and now all of us had the misfortune of watching a man broken, day in and day out, simply going through the motions.

He approached me as I through my bag over my shoulder and headed toward the front door.

“Hey!” He said, causing me to stop and turn around to face him. “Is it true, you're working for GCG now?” He asked, with a genuine interest in his voice.

“Yeah, Haruki asked me for help, I'm actually on my way over there now.”

“Be careful kid, the industry will eat you alive if you don't watch your back. But hey, tell Kudo I said 'Hi', I haven't heard from him in a little while.”

“We've been really busy getting the details hammered out, but I'll forward your regards sir, have a good day.”

He nodded and watched me go, and I could feel it. I could feel his sorrow, his longing to be back in the game. The weight of that, combined with his warning of the backstabbing that he fell victim to rang in my head all the way from office to office. When I got out of my cab, I looked on at the building that would soon envelop my whole life, and felt a sense of fear from Kaneie's warning that made me shudder before I shook it off, took a deep breath, and entered with a smile on my face.

“...Be careful kid...”

Words to live by.

OOC: Thanks FIN! I've actually never even dabbled with GCG before, but I'm a fan of their upper card, and with Kudo on board I figured they would be a good starting point in the new TEW

I was greeted warmly by Haruki and Hanshiro when I entered. They were sitting on opposite sides of Hanshiro's desks with a TV in the corner playing 'scouting' videos of random workers from across Japan, and had papers scattered throughout the room. I picked one up and it appeared to be a financial report. I set it down and picked up another one, this one had what appeared to be a giant lizard chasing stick figures.

“Who's the artist?” I asked, chuckling at the child-like quality of the picture.

Haruki laughed and replied “That would be me, we were waiting for you to get here.”

“Well I'm here, lets get to business. We've got a couple things to figure out gentlemen. We need to figure out our schedule for the upcoming tour. How long of a show, how many times a week, a name, all that kind of stuff.”

We all thought about it for a little while before Hanshiro chimed in.“Well given our financial constraints at the moment, I think one show a week would be ideal. With having to pay all our workers by appearance, I feel we'd be spending money for the sake of spending money if we expanded our schedule any more.”

“Agreed,” said Haruki. “And I'm thinking we should shoot for about two hours per show, two and a half tops. That way we don't have to use everyone every night, and we're not forcing people to wrestle outside of what their stamina allows.”

I was jotting down everything they said, it all made complete sense. But now came the big part, hiring.

“There are literally thousands of wrestlers out there, so let's go through some of these reports and see if any names pop out. You know there are a handful of technically efficient wrestlers on the market now that INSPIRE is gone and done with. Why don't we try to bring in some guys like Sotatsu Sarumara, Kimitada Yanagita, or Hitomaru Suzuki?” I pondered out loud.

“That might work. And also, there a couple ex-Burning Hammer kids we should reach out to.” Haruki added. “Kenko Takemitsu tops the list. Has the Stone family pedigree, I think he could really make something out of himself here. Also, call WLW and see if we can use Mokuami Maita. That kid can go, Hammer were idiots for letting him go. And finally, I want to sign Dynamite Narahashi. He has the raw talent, I mean he was named “Japanese Rookie of the Year”, they don't give that to anyone you know. I think if I worked with him and got his head straight he could help take us to the new level.”

Hanshiro seemed surprised by Kudo's bold statement but that quickly changed into a pleased smile “That's all well and good, but gentlemen we need a name for all this action. I think we need something to play off of GCG's fiftieth anniversary. How about the 'GCG Golden Glory Tour'?”

“I like it!” I exclaimed.

“Well then it's settled. Let's go over some details and then we'll get this ball rolling.” Hanshiro concluded. I could see the excitement in his eyes. For how bad he felt about ruining the thing he helped build, I could tell he was on cloud nine with the way everything is progressing. And then I remembered.

“Haruki, I ran into Kaneie today. He said he hasn't heard from you in a while, you should drop him a line.”

The excitement became mute as Haruki looked at me with a somber look on his face. He nodded and said “Will do, thanks for the heads up kid...” and we sat there for a moment, in reflective silence. We all know Kaneie's fate could occur with any of us, and it was because of that that his name brings such a response.

I coughed, to break the tension, and spoke out. “Well then, where were we...”

And just like that, back to work.

You got a reader. Like the backstory as it's very similar to the one I had with BHOTWG '75 :) I'm a huge GCG fan and I was so glad that they werent out of business or anything in TEW2010 and the fact that they got Haruki Kudo is just mind-blowing.

Kudo was their main man since the 80s (BHOT Hooded Kudo)

biggest shock, EVER

GCG Promotion Overview:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2yw7oll.jpg

Golden Canvas Grappling

Founded in: 1960

Owner: Hanshiro Furusawa

Style: Pure Old School Wrestling

Size: Regional

Promotion Rank: 9th

Champions:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2cgzl2e.jpg

GCG World Heavyweight: Hiroyasu Gakusha

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ykhlpl.jpg

GCG World Heavyweight Tag Team:Hurricane 2000” Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya

http://i49.tinypic.com/16k2ft2.jpg

GCG Openweight: Mabuchi Furusawa

Roster:

Main Event

Hiroyasu Gakusha

Jimmy Cox

Kiminobu Kuroki

'Pistol' Pete Hall

Takayuki 2000

The Immortal Kudo

Toshiharu Hyobanshi

Upper Midcard

Eagle Kawasawa

Harumi Okazawaya

Namboku Makuda

Shotaro Ikina

Yasuhide Tayama

Midcard

Barry Griffin

Dean Daniels

Henry Bennett

Mabuchi Furusawa

Nathan Coleman

Rhino Umaga

Samoan Machine

Shingen Miyazaki

Stuart Ferdinand

Lower Midcard

Greg Gauge

SUKI

Opener

Barry Kingman

JOJI

Tag Teams:

Nathan Coleman & Stuart Ferdinand

Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge

Hiroyasu Gakushi & Kiminobu Kuroki

Barry Griffin & Henry Bennett

Hurricane 2000” Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya

Toshiharu Hyobanshi & Namboku Makuda

Shotaro Ikina & Yasuhide Tayama

Samoan Destruction Inc” Rhino Umaga & Samoan Machine

JOJI & Eagle Kawasawa

We had pretty much everything figured out by now. We had the what, where, when, why, and how. We just needed the 'Who'-s. That's why we sent feelers out to about two dozen workers from around the world. Some said yes, some said no, but in the end we were rather pleased who we were able to bring in. No one was under a guaranteed contract, so we could let them go after a few matches depending if we liked what they offered. Here's who's joining the rank of the golden grapplers of GCG:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2myw2va.jpg

'Bulldozer' Brandon Smith

Current Mid Atlantic Champion in MAW, and 2008 Rip Chord Invitational winner, Smith wrestling a punishing, powerful Japanese-style that's begging for someone to give him a shot at the next level.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wrq3ph.jpg

Dynamite Narahashi

Former BHOTWG rookie standout, being named Rookie of the Year in 2004, but struggled to live up to the pressure, winning the Openweight Championship twice before being released. Looking to reestablish himself.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vsjnm1.jpg

Hidekazu

A core of the BHOWTG Junior division throughout the 90's, he blew out his knees and was released. Since then he has re-established himself as a competent technical wrestler, and has refined his new style on the independent scene.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2qsm5g7.jpg

Hitomaro Suzuki

Former member of the INSPIRE roster, he was groomed as part of their “next generation” the entire three year run of the company. Unfortunately though, he wasn't brought along when Kikkawa and company returned to BHOTWG.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2eoi6c0.jpg

John Pathlow

Also known as Hell Monkey, Pathlow has always been considered on of the premier junior wrestlers of the world. An American, he's garnered all of his fame for his work in Japan, specifically with WLW, where he's won three of their titles and formed a top-tier team with Emerald Angel.

http://i48.tinypic.com/v7tcag.jpg

KAZ

A former graduate of the Hinote Dojo, KAZ was never able to blossom on the full BHOTWG roster, and instead took off to wrestle the world. Upon his return, he signed with SAISHO, winning both their tag team and singles championships.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2mmgzn7.jpg

Kenko Takemitsu

An interesting story, having graduated from the Hinote Dojo, he moved to Canada first to learn from the Stone family while wrestling with NOTBPW. It was then that he went back to Japan and joined the BHOTWG roster, where he lasted for three years.

http://i45.tinypic.com/23u8mza.jpg

Kiemon Yoshimatsu

Never really establishing himself with any promotion, Yoshimatsu's still young, and is beginning to improve his game at a hope to make it with one of the big boys. Interesting fact: Kiemon is the former president of the Optimus fan club.

http://i46.tinypic.com/1113qy1.jpg

Kimitada Yanagita

A former member of INSPIRE, he was one of their top midcard members for the two years he was in the company. He's known for his unique frame, standing at just barely six feet, but packs 277 pounds of muscles onto that body.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6erma.jpg

Mokuami Maita

Like Hidekazu, is a junior wrestler best known for his technical ability. Never was able to catch on in BHOTWG, has exploded in WLW though, especially with his “Black House” tag team he formed with Kazuma Narato and has since won the Tag Team titles twice.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2nlz2n5.jpg

Sotatsu Sarumara

Another former member of INSPIRE, his wrestling style relies around the arm lock, which he can apply from any position. He is sound at all aspects, but has no flashiness or excitement. If he can develop a striking game at all, he could move to the next level

http://i48.tinypic.com/2rdgbjk.jpg

Toyokuni Hardcore

A wrestler from WLW, he started his career as a comedy wrestler, parodying Sam Strong. Upon Strong's retirement he completely reinvented himself, and has shown a new sense of fire and destruction.

http://i49.tinypic.com/34sjjfo.jpg

Tsurayuki Kamachi

A graduate of the PGHW Dojo, he joined INSPIRE upon graduating to gain more experience. He was there from open to close, and is now looking for his next opportunity.

http://i50.tinypic.com/14nmjde.jpg

Washichi Inao

The former “Fire Fox” masked worker, Inao felt the mask was tied too heavily to his unsuccessful career, and recently lost the mask, but still wrestles a basic junior style.

And coming soon? Golden Glory Stop I.

I'm keeping an eye on this... have been trying to do GCG, and the expenses are inexplicable. $50,000 in "miscellaneous" fees for a small show? Every time? Where is that money going?

I know the legal/production/etc. fees for a cult promotion are prohibitive, and I know we're paying Kudo -- not that Kudo's not worth it -- but compared to the cost of running a show, that's the least of my worries. You can't run two shows a week without burning halfway through the million dollars by February. Now, maybe you get that money back somehow at the end of the month, but if not, what? In any event, I'm hoping you figure out how to bypass that, so I have a better handle on what's going on here.

With our roster in hand, the Golden Glory tour was ready to roll. At least I thought. I sat down with Haruki and opened up my notebook when he got a phone call. Interestingly, he spoke the entire time in English, which is a rare occurrence that only happens when the situation calls for it. Kudo looked flustered as the conversation progressed. He finally ended it with a “Fine, I don't care, I'll go out there myself if I need to, we just need this, okay?” in a very bitter tone. I asked him what the call was all about and he just shrugged it off. I presented him my ideas and he seemed to enjoy what he saw. He told me the main event was figured out already, but the rest was absolutely do-able.

So with that said, we typed out a report and it was soon saw across the interweb on gcgrappling.co.jp as follows:

GCG Golden Glory Tour Stop 1

Doshisha Athletic Center

Sunday, Week 1, January 2010

Junior Showcase

John Pathlow vs. JOJI vs. Washichi Inao

Two of the newest members of the GCG roster and Eagle Kawasawa's sole protege will mix it up in a triangle match to start off the crowd with some oft-forgotten high flying action

Tag Team Championship Number One Contender

Griffin & Bennett vs. Coleman & Ferdinand vs. Daniels & Gauge vs. Ikani & Tayama

Four established tag teams go at it in a battle to see who gets to take on the tag team championships at a later date, whether it be Hurricane 2000 or someone else is to be seen!

GCG Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match

Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya vs. Eagle Kawasawa & ???

Eagle had originally planned to team with his star pupil JOJI, but there's a weight restriction, and as such, JOJI was disqualified from competing in the match. Kawasawa said he'll have a partner by the time of the match.

Namboku Makuda vs. Sotatsu Sarumara

Sarumara is making his debut for GCG and is hoping to make an impact as he takes on Makuda, who's more known for his tag work with Toshiharu Hyobanshi. Will Makuda be able to handle his own in singles competition or will Sarumara start his GCG campaign off with a win?

Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga vs. Hidekazu & Mokuami Maita

This match features two more GCG debuts as technically minded juniors Hidekazu and Mokuami Maita team up against the larger, savage Samoans in what is sure to be a challenge.

'Pistol' Pete Hall vs. Dynamite Narahashi

Narahashi told management he wants to prove he can hang with the top dogs the moment he was signed, so they listened, and put him in a match with the legend, the Pistol, Pete Hall in his first match in GCG. We'll be able to see if the dynamite one is able to back up his words during this one!

GCG Openweight Championship Match

Mabuchi Furusawa vs. Kenko Takemitsu vs. Shingen Miyazaki vs. Kimitada Yanagita

The Openweight Championship has a unique challenge in having to prepare for so many different sizes and styles of wrestlers. Just in this match the champion, Mabuchi Furusawa, has to take on the technically and aerially sound junior Kenko Takemitsu, the rounded middleweight Shingen Miyazaki, and the large, hulking veteran Kimitada Yanagita. Will the champ be able to escape the match with his title in tact? Only time will tell!

Jimmy Cox vs. Toshiharu Hyobanshi

These two have had bad blood every since Jimmy Cox defeated Hyobanshi for the GCG Heavyweight Championship in October of '08. Now, close to a year after losing it, Jimmy's revving up for another shot at the title, and is starting with the man he beat for it the first time, Toshiharu Hyobanshi!

Main Event

Hiroyasu Gakusha & Kiminobu Kuroki vs. The Immortal Kudo & ???

The reigning GCG Heavyweight Champion, Hiroyasu Gakusha, is no stranger to tag team matches. In fact, his pairing with Kuroki held the Tag Team Championships for over a year, from '04 to '05. But how do you prepare for a team that you only know half of? “The Immortal” Kudo has challenged the two starts of the Golden Canvas, and has promised that his partner will not dissapoint. Who is it? Will the champion and his partner be ready? Find out this and more at GCG Golden Glory!

I take it we can predict?

John Pathlow vs. JOJI vs. Washichi Inao - PUSH JOHN PATHLOW! *CLAP CLAP CLAP* PUSH JOHN PATHLOW! :)

Griffin & Bennett vs. Coleman & Ferdinand vs. Daniels & Gauge vs. Ikani & Tayama - Coleman is a favourite of mine.

Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya vs. Eagle Kawasawa & ??? - I don't back mystery partners. (Except for below.)

Namboku Makuda vs. Sotatsu Sarumara - Coin toss.

Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga vs. Hidekazu & Mokuami Maita - The big men will have too much for them here.

'Pistol' Pete Hall vs. Dynamite Narahashi - Explosive victory for the debutant.

Mabuchi Furusawa vs. Kenko Takemitsu vs. Shingen Miyazaki vs. Kimitada Yanagita - Champ retains on the first show.

Jimmy Cox vs. Toshiharu Hyobanshi - Cox has the better storyline to start off with.

Hiroyasu Gakusha & Kiminobu Kuroki vs. The Immortal Kudo & ??? - I NEVER go with mystery partners, but I never bet against Kudo, so I'm torn on this one.

Easiest choice.

Griffin & Bennett vs.Coleman & Ferdinandvs. Daniels & Gauge vs. Ikani & Tayama

There's a typo, it's Shotaro Ikina, not Ikani. :p

Not going to lose on first defence.

Sotatsu is a veteran, Makuda a slowly rising star. Could go either way.

'Pistol' Pete Hall vs. Dynamite Narahashi - Explosive victory for the debutant.

Hall will crush Narahashi in under 10min. There's no way Narahashi could pull off a victory.

Hyobanshi is better than Cox.

Creative control anyone? Even without it I'd still go for Kudo but who's going to be his tag partner.. Chuichi Sanda? Someone else from BHOTWG who are on PPA deals? Free agent Masutaro Kataoka? :rolleyes:

Looking good, I'd say B- overall grade from this.

As someone who has a soft spot for GCG since I played a game with them in 08, I have to follow this. Only thing I don't like about this card is the number of multi-sided matches, but GCG does have a lot of people on the roster. Even more now. :p

- Wasichi is one of my favourites but I'm gonna go with the Monkey on this one

Griffin & Bennett vs. Coleman & Ferdinand vs. Daniels & Gauge vs. Ikina & Tayama

- Will give the nod to the newest duo, though this could go in any direction depending on who you like the most. :)

- Champs to retain, especially with Eagle having to get a replacement partner. :p

- Kids got a lot of upside, something his opponent doesn't. Makuda could be the future of your company.

- I love everyone in this match and have pushed them all at some point in my many games... Maita is one of my particular favourites but the big Samoans are still gonan kill him in this one.

'Pistol' Pete Hall vs. Dynamite Narahashi

- To be fair, I think Pistol will win but I want Dynamite to win. I fully intend to make him a star in my next game.

- Boss's son to retain for now.

- If Toshi loses, I RIOT~! Seriously, he's one of GCG's franchise players and is loyal to the company. When I booked GCG it was him and Gakusha always challenging at the top, with Jimmy just a couple of steps behind... Toshi to get the win here. Srsly, I'll riot. :p

- I'm interested to see who you bring in for his partner and have an idea myself... perhaps a former GCG graduate? ;)

GCG Golden Glory Tour Stop 1

Doshisha Athletic Center

Sunday, Week 1, January 2010

Attendance: 1,000 (Sellout)

John Pathlow def. JOJI & Washichi Inao

Devilish primate moniker or not, Pathlow looked like the world class talent that he is, dispatching the rookie JOJI in a fast-paced contest.

Rating: C-

Ikina & Tayama def. Griffin & Bennett vs. Coleman & Ferdinand vs. Daniels & Gauge

The team with the most gold in this match found themselves one step close to matching Yoshizawa & Maeda's record of four tag titles. They captured victory when Shotaro Ikina pinned Dean Daniels.

Rating: D+

Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya def. Eagle Kawasawa & 'Bulldozer' Brandon Smith

Kawasawa's mystery partner had no problem with the weight limit, as it was heavyweight gaijin Brandon Smith, who unfortunately had issues getting into the match. Kawasawa and Smith were never on the same page, and the champions were able to pick on the weak link for an easy victory.

Rating: E+

Namboku Makuda def. Sotatsu Sarumara

While these two were somewhat evenly matched, this was a basic midcard match, that was solid but nothing that would set the world on fire. Makuda finished off Sarumara with decent effort.

Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga def. Hidekazu & Mokuami Maita

The two juniors tried their hardest, but the experience and the sheer force and power of the Samoans was enough to get the job done.

'Pistol' Pete Hall def. Dynamite Narahashi

Narahashi brought it, and gave Pete everything he could handle. Dynamite felt he had the match won, but the veteran Hall was able to take everything Narahashi had to offer and weathered the storm, finishing off Narahashi in a decent match for someone who hadn't had a major shot in a number of years.

Mabuchi Furusawa def. Kenko Takemitsu, Shingen Miyazaki, & Kimitada Yanagita

Furusawa had a whale of a challenge in his first title defense of the year. Takemitsu really shined in the match, and looked to sneak a pin fall out of the match a couple of times before Furusawa managed to get a pin fall on Yanagita to defend his championship.

Jimmy Cox def. Toshiharu Hyobanshi

Our pre-main event was a match that had lingering future title implications, as two former champions faced off looking to gain some steam and get on the right track towards a Heavyweight Championship Match. Cox pulled off the upset when he finished the match following an Immortal Driver.

Rating: C+

The Immortal Kudo & Koshiro Ino def. Hiroyasu Gakusha & Kiminobu Kuroki

The first major surprise of the year came in the main event, when not only did Haruki Kudo debut his new character, the face painted “The Immortal” Kudo, but his partner blew the roof off the building when he was revealed. The former BHOTWG and current TCW star was on fire, teaming with his mentor to take on the GCG Champion and his most frequent partner. The match was easily the match of the night, and left the crowd with a good mood, even if the “home” team didn't win when Kuroki fell victim to a Kobra's Bite. Following the match Ino and Kudo celebrated for the crowd, and Gakusha and Kuroki left to the back to tend to their wounds.

Rating: B-

Final Rating: C+

Pre Show:

KAZ def. Barry Kingman & Toyokuni Hardcore

SUKI & Kiemon Yoshimatsu def. Tsurayuki Kamachi & Hitomaro Suzuki

Main Show:

John Pathlow def. JOJI & Washichi Inao

Ikina & Tayama def. Griffin & Bennett vs. Coleman & Ferdinand vs. Daniels & Gauge

Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya def. Eagle Kawasawa & 'Bulldozer' Brandon Smith

Namboku Makuda def. Sotatsu Sarumara

Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga def. Hidekazu & Mokuami Maita

'Pistol' Pete Hall def. Dynamite Narahashi

Mabuchi Furusawa def. Kenko Takemitsu, Shingen Miyazaki, & Kimitada Yanagita

Jimmy Cox def. Toshiharu Hyobanshi

The Immortal Kudo & Koshiro Ino def. Hiroyasu Gakusha & Kiminobu Kuroki

Predictions:

Jaded: 8/9

FINisher: 8/9

derek_b: 6/9

Thanks again guys for all the support. For my first time with a new company you're making the whole experience a lot easier.

The show was over, and the crowd was buzzing was they left. Backstage, everyone gathered around Kudo in a huddle while he gave them a great pep talk that did a bang up job of keeping the energy at a high level. After everyone had dispersed, I went up to Haruki, with just one question in mind.

“When the hell were you planning on telling me about that?!?”

Haruki couldn't help but laugh about my mini-meltdown.

“That phone call the other day? That was Tommy. I told him how much it meant to me to have Koshiro along with me here in GCG, and we were trying to get something established, a talent trade or whatever, but he didn't think we had anyone that would make a big enough “splash” in the states, so I volunteered myself. So therefore as long as we have Koshi, I'll be making appearances for TCW.”

It made sense, and I calmed down a bit.

“The only problem is that with a deal like that, I kind of have to abide by it, so if we have a show on the same night as TCW, I'm unfortunately going to have to be out there.”

“I understand, taking one for the team. But hey, enough about that, let's go out and enjoy the night!”

And with that, he patted me on the shoulder and we took off, to enjoy the victory after a successful show.

GCG Golden Glory Tour Stop 2

Doshisha Athletic Center

Sunday, Week 2, January 2010

JOJI & Eagle Kawasawa vs. SUKI & Kiemon Yoshimatsu

Our opening contest will feature two former juniorweights and their partners in a tag team contest, both of them trying to establish themselves and move up the tag team ranks.

Shingen Miyazaki vs. Toyokuni Hardcore vs. Hidekazu vs. Sotatsu Sarumara

In a contest that is sure to have Openweight title implication, four members of the midcard will try to make their way up the roster towards future glory, and it all starts here, with one win that could kick start their careers.

Kenko Takemitsu vs. Mokuami Maita

Two former members of the BHOTWG Junior division, Maita has since re-established himself in WLW, while Takemitsu had just recently left the company and is trying to make a name for himself on the Golden Canvas. This should be an exciting contest between two exciting juniors.

Gauge & Daniels, Umaga & Machine vs. Griffin & Bennett, Coleman & Ferdinand

Our tag team division is starting to ignite, and this match is going to truly test their ability to work as a team towards victory as four tag teams combine in what should be a wild eight-man tag.

GCG Openweight Championship Open Challenge

Mabuchi Furusawa vs. ???

Furusawa felt confident in his abilities after surviving three fierce competitors, and has put a challenge out to any male in Japan, to come and try to take his title. Who will show up? Will Mabuchi's confidence be backed up by his in-ring ability? Only time will tell!

The Immortal Kudo vs. Dynamite Narahashi

Coming off his main event victory, 'The Immortal' Kudo has taken an interesting challenge for his next match. Narahashi looked strong in his defeat to the legendary Pete Hall, and didn't let the loss get to him. Instead, he issued a challenge to anyone in the main event, and Kudo answered, looking to show the youngster a few things.

Koshiro Ino vs. Kiminobu Kuroki

Kuroki has been incensed since the second he took the pinfall of the main event last week, and told management he wanted nothing more than to seek revenge against the man that beat him. Ino, still trying to establish himself in GCG, saw no problem with the challenge, and will take on “Super K”!

Openweight Challenge

Hiroyasu Gakusha, Ikina & Tayama vs. John Pathlow, Okazawaya & Takayuki

John Pathlow won a match last week that pit him against two quality juniorweights in JOJI and Washichi Inao, and since then he as been looking ahead to see what he could strive towards. When he discovered the weight limit for the World Championship, he took offense, feeling that the size of the fighter doesn't stand for the size of his heart, and wanted to take on Hiroyasu Gakusha to prove his point. Management has added to this challenge though, with Pathlow teaming up with the Tag Team Champions and their much larger challengers Ikina & Tayama will team up with Gakusha for a six man mega-match!

Main Event

Jimmy Cox & 'Pistol' Pete Hall vs. Toshiharu Hyobanshi & Namboku Makuda

Toshiharu Hyobanshi has taken offense to the fact that Jimmy Cox used him as his stepping stool towards getting back to the GCG title. This has caused tension backstage, with Hyobanshi destroying things whenever Cox's name is brought up. So that being said, Toshiharu has announced that this match will be the biggest match of his to date, because not only was he fighting for his personal pride, but he'll be fighting for the glory of Japan against the 'gaijin invaders'.

GCG Golden Glory Tour Stop 2

Doshisha Athletic Center

Sunday, Week 2, January 2010

JOJI & Eagle Kawasawa def. SUKI & Kiemon Yoshimatsu

Kawasawa had much better interaction with JOJI than Smith, and the two were able to vanquish SUKI &Yoshimatsu, who were both donned in matching “armor” like ring gear in a brief match.

Shingen Miyazaki def. Toyokuni Hardcore, Hidekazu, & Sotatsu Sarumara

While he fell short against the champion last week, Miyazaki stood victorious in this contest, when he pinned Toyokuni Hardcore in an evenly contested match that warmed the crowd up.

Kenko Takemitsu def. Mokuami Maita

Maita's technical prowess looked to tip this contest in his favor, but Kenko's flashiness and aerial ability proved to be the deciding factor in contest, and a Canada 2 Japan was what it took to get Takemitsu the win.

Gauge & Daniels, Umaga & Machine def. Griffin & Bennett, Coleman & Ferdinand

In a contest that featured the four foreign tag teams teaming up in a four-on-four match that featured chaos and lot of double teaming as the eight ment went all out for a good, solid match which ended when the Samoans double teamed Henry Bennett with a running sandwich body press.

Naonobu Murkami def. Mabuchi Furusawa

Another mystery worker and another big name, made even bigger given Murkami's tie to the company in the past. What was even more shocking was the fact that Murkami's departure from the company had come after a falling out with Hanshiro Furusawa, and his return match had him beating Hanshiro's son for the GCG Openweight Championship, becoming yet another GCG Triple Crown Champion.

The Immortal Kudo def. Dynamite Narahashi

These two put on a surprisingly good match together, Narahashi looked strong and dangerous for a second straight match, but once again fell short, thought once again, it was to a legendary wrestler. Two Kudo Kutters later, Narahashi was finally out for a three count.

Koshiro Ino def. Kiminobu Kuroki

Kuroki came out clearly disgruntled from his loss last week, his feathers still ruffled. This gave Ino the distinct mental advantage throughout the contest. Koshi outworked Kuroki and outsmarted him, due to Kimi's overwhelming frustration. A second week in a row, Kuroki fell victim to a Kobra's Bite, and left without shaking Ino's hand.

Hiroyasu Gakusha, Ikina & Tayama def. John Pathlow, Okazawaya & T2000

Pathlow got a lot of face heat from the crowd, who has emerged as a “voice of the underdogs”, challenging Gakusha in the name of junior heavyweights everywhere. All six men went all out, and the end came when Gakusha crushed Pathlow with a Gakusha Golden Bomb for a three count.

Jimmy Cox & 'Pistol' Pete Hall def. Toshiharu Hyobanshi & Namboku Makuda

The main event of the evening had the crowd rocking, as Hyobanshi came out in an absolute rage, and he was destroying everything in his path. Cox looked good, and Hall was as solid as ever, eating all of Toshi's destruction. This gave way for Cox to focus on Makuda, who is clearly the least experienced and proven of the four men in this match. As Hall and Hyobanshi brutalized each other outside the ring, Cox was able to put Makuda out cold with an Immortal Driver to get another upset victory over Toshiharu Hyobanshi

JOJI & Eagle Kawasawa def. SUKI & Kiemon Yoshimatsu

Shingen Miyazaki def. Toyokuni Hardcore, Hidekazu, & Sotatsu Sarumara

Kenko Takemitsu def. Mokuami Maita

Gauge & Daniels, Umaga & Machine def. Griffin & Bennett, Coleman & Ferdinand

Naonobu Murkami def. Mabuchi Furusawa for the GCG Openweight Championship

The Immortal Kudo def. Dynamite Narahashi

Koshiro Ino def. Kiminobu Kuroki

Hiroyasu Gakusha, Ikina & Tayama def. John Pathlow, Okazawaya & Takayuki 2000

Jimmy Cox & 'Pistol' Pete Hall def. Toshiharu Hyobanshi & Namboku Makuda

Another week, another successful show. Everything went according to plan and we were all backstage post-show celebrating. There was a buzz in the air, that if we kept putting on shows like this than we'd be in position to really start going somewhere, sooner rather than later. The good mood was everywhere and within everyone.

Well, almost everyone. Out of nowhere Hanshiro Furusawa came storming up to me.

“Do you mind explaining what the hell that was all about?” He asked, with rage in his eyes. “Not only do you bring that disrespectful, geriatric bastard back into my company, despite what he said to me, but you put him over my boy? For his belt?!?! Listen, I don't know who the hell you think you are, but I will not stand for you disrespecting my family's lineage and pride! I built this damn company! You really think that was a good idea?!?”

I won't lie. I felt a knot in the bottom of my stomach. I did not expect this in the slightest. I heard there was some sort of history between Hanshiro and Naonobu, but I didn't anticipate a war like this erupting just because I put Nao over Mabuchi. I never anticipated something like this happening on my second day on the job.

“Watch your back kid...”

Kaneie's words rang in my head, as that knot suddenly swallowed my whole stomach. Was this it? Was it really going to end already? I had nothing else to say.

“Sir... I, I...”

Nothing at all to say. Fortunately for me, little did I know I wouldn't have to say anything at all.

“HANSHIRO!” I heard roaring from down the hallway. I know that voice. My eyes looked up, as if they were trying to look backwards, scanning through every crevice of my brain, trying to recognize who's voice exactly it was.

Hanshiro's fiery gaze had been replaced by a look confusion, and he looked away, and there he was, my savior, Haruki Kudo. The stern look on Kudo's face made my stomach relax.

“What's going on here gentlemen?” Haruki asked, knowing damn well what was happening.

Hanshiro gulped, knowing what he had done just shot himself in the foot. Haruki then continued.

“Look, I know you and Naonobu had your falling out, but it was a move that was made for the best of the company.”

“I don't see how you could justify that, but I'm mainly perturbed by the fact that you went out and made roster and booking decisions behind my back!!!”

“Hanshiro, look, I thought we had agreed that you'd trust me in big decisions like this. Look, Naonobu Murkami is an institution in this company. 18 years, two tag titles, and three years as World Champion. This man is practically the embodiment of GCG over the last two decades. He didn't deserve to be out there rotting. So take all your bitterness and hurt feelings and do with them what you will, but if Nao or this kid get the ax, consider me gone before you knew what happened.”

And with that vote of confidence I felt like I could take on the world. But why waste my time, I had to get going on the next show.

GCG Golden Glory Tour Stop 3

Doshisha Athletic Center

Sunday, Week 3, January 2010

Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga vs. Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge

This is our last show before our January major event, “Live for Glory” we have a couple of matches to set up what will be our best show of the year to date. In this match, the young gaijins will go up against Samoan Destruction Inc., as the two teams combined to beat the teams of Griffin & Bennett and Coleman & Ferdinand. The winner of this match will go on to face Hurricane 2000 and Ikina & Tayama for the GCG Tag Team Championship in a three-way dance at Live for Glory.

Eagle Kawasawa vs. Shingen Miyazaki vs. Namboku Makuda vs. SUKI

So far, one thing has proven itself in GCG, and that's the fact that the Openweight division is full of competition, with names like Eagle Kawasawa, Shingen Miyazaki, SUKI, Kenko Takemitsu, and more all trying to outshine one-another. While the winner of this four corners match isn't guaranteed a title shot, you have to imagine they'd be at the top of the line for one.

Mabuchi Furusawa & Mokuami Maita vs. Naonobu Murkami & Kenko Takemitsu

Last week we had two of our new top names in the Openweight division, Kenko Takemitsu and Mokuami Maita, go one on one with Kenko taking the victory. We also featured the shocking return of Naonobu Murkami, who upset reigning Openweight Champion Mabuchi Furusawa. This week, we're combining those four competitors into a tag match, with Furusawa and Maita trying to get revenge on Murkami and Takemitsu. Will they succeed? Will these four fierce competitors be able to cooperate? You're gonna want to see this one!

Dynamite Narahashi vs. Toshiharu Hyobanshi

Narahashi looked competent again last week, falling short to The Immortal Kudo, while Hyobanshi's warpath has continued since falling to Jimmy Cox and Pete Hall. Narahashi is looking to continue to prove himself, while Hyobanshi is looking for something to destroy. Is this an upset in the making or will Hyobanshi be able to snap his losing streak?

Jimmy Cox vs. 'Pistol' Pete Hall

After being tag team partners last week in victory over Hyobanshi and Makuda, Jimmy Cox and Pete Hall will be opponents this week in what the too have agreed upon as a “friendly competition between two wrestlers with nothing but respect for each other”. With both men having won two straight, who will taste their first defeat of the year?

John Pathlow & Hidekazu vs. Hiroyasu Gakusha & Kiminobu Kuroda

In another match that has built from last week, our co-main event will feature the second round of the newly formed feud between GCG Heavyweight Champion Hiroyasu Gakusha and John Pathlow. The size and power of Gakusha, Ikina, and Tayama were simply too much for Pathlow and Hurricane 2000 last week, as Gakusha fell Pathlow with a Golden Bomb. But the scrappy junior hasn't had enough, and demanded a rematch, this time a tag contest, Gakusha and his regular partner Kiminobu Kuroda, taking on John Pathlow and fellow junior Hidekazu. The heart of Pathlow cannot be denied, and win or lose this should be a great fight for the former Hell Monkey.

Non-Title

Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya vs. The Immortal Kudo & Koshiro Ino

And the main event should be a beauty. Hurricane 2000 have been ideal tag team champions ever since they won the titles back in July. Kudo and Ino are riding high after their victories in two straight weeks. Kudo himself specified that he wasn't interested in the gold, but moreso interested in testing himself, and giving the tag team champions a warm up for their match at Live for Glory. For these great matches and more make sure to come out to GCG's Golden Glory Tour Stop 3!

GCG Golden Glory Tour Stop 3

Doshisha Athletic Center

Sunday, Week 3, January 2010

Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga def. Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge

The young Americans tried, but they simply were no match for the monsterous Samoans, who steamrolled their way towards a shot at their third GCG Tag Titles

Shingen Miyazaki def. Eagle Kawasawa, Namboku Makuda, & SUKI

Shingen has been coming on strong in the new year, coming close to defeating Mabuchi at one point in their first match of the year and winning the second four corners match last week. He looked strong again this week, with the majority of his competition coming from Eagle Kawasawa. The tag team specialist Namboku Makuda took the pinfall, proving he's not on the same level quite yet as the other three in singles action.

Naonobu Murkami & Kenko Takemitsu def. Mabuchi Furusawa & Mokuami Maita

The Champion really shined in this match, looking strong and resilient, despite the fact that he's well over the hill. He used his years of experience to outsmart Furusawa at every corner, proving that youth isn't always everything. Kenko was able to handle Maita for the second week on a row as well, and the two won a well fought match.

Toshiharu Hyobanshi def. Dynamite Narahashi

Hyobanshi was looking for something to destoy, and he got it in this match. For as solid as he has been the last two weeks, Narahashi had nothing to do in this but brace himself and hope Toshi got bored sooner rather than later. Eight minutes later, after beating Dynamite Narahashi every single way he knew possibly, Toshi lazily pinned his opponent and left to the back, looking like he just had a brief warmup.

Jimmy Cox def. 'Pistol' Pete Hall

These two had a sound well fought entertaining match that got the crowd excited after the destruction they just witnessed. Jimmy and Pete both worked hard, but didn't go all out to try and outshine our two main events we had coming up. Cox eventually dropped Pete with an Immortal Driver and that was enough to pick up the win.

Hiroyasu Gakusha & Kiminobu Kuroda def. John Pathlow & Hidekazu

Pathlow looked more prepared for Gakusha, having learned some things from their interaction in the match last week. Unfortunately preparation wasn't quite enough to take down the GCG Champion. Hidekazu tried his hardest to tie up and slow down his opponents, and Pathlow used his trademark combination of speed and striking to the best of his ability, but the two juniors simply weren't enough to pull off the victory in this one, with Pathlow falling to a Golden Bomb for the second week in a row.

Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya draw The Immortal Kudo & Koshiro Ino

This sure was an exciting match. The established superstars in Koshi and Kudo showed why they're on top, and the young teaming of Hurricane 2000 showed the world that they're not a joke. Takayuki and Harumi went toe to toe with the stars, and gave them hell for every second of this match. It caught Kudo and Ino off guard at first, but the they eventually regained control of the match, giving back as much punishment as they were giving. However no one expected the ending, as the four men were all battling, trading finishers, and when it looked like Harumi was going to pin Kudo, the bell rang, and the match was called a draw, reaching it's 30 minute time limit. The crowd chanted for more time, but the four men in the ring all shook each others hands in respect and made their way to the back to end the show.

Pre Show:

KAZ & JOJI def. Totoya Munakata & Tsurayuki Kamachi, Barry Kingman & 'Bulldozer' Brandon Smith

Main Show:

Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga def. Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge

Shingen Miyazaki def. Eagle Kawasawa, Namboku Makuda, & SUKI

Naonobu Murkami & Kenko Takemitsu def. Mabuchi Furusawa & Mokuami Maita

Toshiharu Hyobanshi def. Dynamite Narahashi

Jimmy Cox def. 'Pistol' Pete Hall

Hiroyasu Gakusha & Kiminobu Kuroda def. John Pathlow & Hidekazu

Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya draw The Immortal Kudo & Koshiro Ino

Archived