Golden Canvas' Golden Anniversary

After the show, I took some time to reflect on how our first month has turned out. More specifically, I looked over our roster, and all the people I had brought in when I first got here. It was very evident that there were some hits and some misses. Kenko and Mokuami have both fit in perfectly, but others... not so much. As I sat in the office of the Doshisha Athletic Center (we had converted this into our de facto headquarters, as it was the perfect size for our crowds, and it was in our home region), I called in a production assistant, who was still in the building, despite the fact that most of the other staff had went home.

“Can you do me a favor? Can you mail out release forms to the wrestlers on this list?” I asked, as I handed him a list of workers I felt we could do without, as well as a stack of enveloped release forms, wrestling's answer to a pink slip.

I felt bad, but these guys were all on the independent scene, it's just a matter of time till they land back on their feet for another company, right?

The wrestlers we were releasing are as follows:

Washichi Inao

Tsurayuki Kamachi

Toyokuni Hardcore

Kiemon Yoshimatsu

Hitomaro Suzuki

Sotatsu Sarumara

And with Live for Glory coming up, I figured we could bring in a few names to help out, and bolster the tag team division. The first one was one of the most respected workers in Japan, someone who was brought in not just for their work, but due to the fact that he was an uplifting force in the locker room, that was an absolute godsend for morale. That man is former GCG Tag Team Champion Junnosuke Fukazawa, who brings a lot of positive veteran leadership with him. He'll be reunited with former partner Kimitada Yanagita, the two acting as gate keepers for the tag team division.

Another tag team acquisition, we've brought in WLW's Kazuma Narato, to unite with Black House partner Mokuami Maita. The two are current WLW Tag Team Champions, and will look to bring their success to GCG.

GCG Live for Glory

Kyoto Arena

Saturday, Week 4, January 2010

Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge vs. Nathan Coleman & Stuart Ferdinand

Our first premier card of the year will be started off with a generational showdown, as the veterans of Nathan Coleman and Stuart Ferdinand will go toe to toe with the young Greg Gauge and his partner Dean Daniels. With the recent signings of Junnosuke Fukazawa and Kazuma Narato, you've got to imagine that the tag team ranks will be tighter than ever, and a match like this means a lot more than it does on paper.

Eagle Kawasawa & JOJI vs. Barry Griffin & Henry Bennett

Another important tag team contest, the international duo of Griffin and Bennett will try to make their way towards their first tag titles, but standing in their way are the mentor/protege combination of Eagle Kawasawa and the high flying JOJI.

Junnosuke Fukazawa & Kimitada Yanagita vs. “Black House” Kazuma Narato & Mokuami Maita

Our two new hires will have a chance to showcase what they're known for, solid entertaining tag team wrestling as the former two-time GCG Tag Team Champions face off against the current WLW Tag Team Champions in a match of contrasting styles and ages.

GCG Openweight Championship Match

Naonobu Murkami vs. Mabuchi Furusawa

In our first title match, the former champion Mabuchi Furusawa will get his first shot at regaining the belt he lost just two weeks ago at the hands of Murkami. Reports from backstage have said that this is becoming a blood feud, with Mabuchi's father Hanshiro, the GCG owner taking offense with Murkami.

GCG Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match

“Hurricane 2000” Takayuki 2000 & Harumi Okazawaya vs. Shotaro Ikina & Yasuhide Tayama vs. “Samoan Destruction Inc.” Samoan Machine & Rhino Umaga

The champions will have their work cut out for them in this one, having to take on two teams at once. In one corner will be the ever-dangerous Ikina & Tayama, who look to win their third belts, and in the other corner you have the ravenous Samoans, who have destroyed everything in their path on their way to their third tag titles. But don't discredit the champions, who just last week held their own, taking Kudo and Ino to a time limit draw. Will the champions retain? Will either of the challengers win, putting them one step closer to Maeda & Yoshizawa's record of four reigns?

Jimmy Cox vs. Dynamite Narahashi

These two have both been making a name for themselves over the past month, for two different reasons. Cox has been on a roll, upsetting Toshiharu Hyobanshi two, and defeating the illustrious Pete Hall. Narahashi however has lost all three to some of the top talent in GCG, in an attempt to prove himself. He continues to search for his first win, and Cox continues to build up momentum towards a GCG World Title Shot

Kiminobu Kuroki vs. 'Pistol' Pete Hall

A match with pride on the line as these two will try to embody the program's moniker, and live for glory. Kuroki comes off his tag team win over Pathlow and Hidekazu alongside his regular partner Hiroyasu Gakusha while Hall fell victim to Jimmy Cox for his first loss of the year. Who will have their hand raised in victory after this one? You've gotta be here to see it.

'The Immortal' Kudo & Koshiro Ino vs. Toshiharu Hyobanshi & Namboku Makuda

The two former Burning Hammer stars team up again, this time taking on the man who's been on one of the biggest paths of destruction GCG's ever seen and his regular partner. Toshiharu's rage might be the tipping point in this match, but you never count out the wisdom and experience of Kudo.

Hiroyasu Gakusha vs. John Pathlow

And in our main event we have a match that has a lot on the line, for not having a title involved. Pathlow has taken it upon himself to stand up for the rights of all the juniors that have been denied countless title shots they deserve through continued success and hard work night in and night out. Pathlow has been protesting for equal rights for junior workers, feeling the openweight title was simply a stepping stone for rookies to earn their way towards heavyweight gold. So after many conversations, it came to the agreement that Pathlow's right, if he can prove the heart and ability of junior workers are on the level as their heavyweight counterparts, then the GCG Board will remove the weight restrictions on the tag team titles. Pathlow said it's a start, and he will stand up for all his brethren, and give Gakusha the fight of his life.

Predictions:

Daniels & Gauge vs. Coleman & Ferdinand

Kawasawa & JOJI vs. Griffin & Bennett

Fukazawa & Yanagita vs. Narato & Maita

Naonobu Murkami vs. Mabuchi Furusawa for the GCG Openweight Championship

T2000 & Okazawaya vs. Ikina & Tayama vs. Machine & Umaga for the GCG Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Kudo & Ino vs. Hyobanshi & Makuda

Daniels & Gauge vs. Coleman & Ferdinand

Kawasawa & JOJI vs. Griffin & Bennett

Fukazawa & Yanagita vs. Narato & Maita

Naonobu Murkami vs. Mabuchi Furusawa for the GCG Openweight Championship

T2000 & Okazawaya vs. Ikina & Tayama vs. Machine & Umaga for the GCG Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Kudo & Ino vs. Hyobanshi & Makuda

Gotta show GCG some love... hopefully team Samoa stick with you for a while, they'd be amazing tag team champs in the long run. :)

Archived