NWA: The Fall

For those unfamiliar with WrestleManiac's The Fall mod, here's the backstory:

...March 2001...

At the height of their popularity, with their former enemy WCW vanquished and purchased, the WWF is riding high. It is undoubtably the most powerful promotion in the history of professional wrestling. But questions are being asked about the WCW sale. The U.S Securities and Exchange Commission begins a month-long investigation.

...April 2001...

The wrestling world is in shock. The World Wrestling Federation is hit with a three-hundred million dollar fine, after it was revealed that Vince McMahon and AOL-Time Warner executive Jamie Kellner colluded to intentionally lower the purchase price of WCW. Stockholders and investors deserted the WWF, leaving the McMahon family with a humbled empire almost overnight. Disgraced, distraught and heartbroken, with a roster of wrestlers angry at the McMahon's mismanagement, the WWF was effectively shut down. Live events were cancelled, and television contracts were torn up. The McMahons go into isolation.

In the months that follow, promotions across the United States shut down left, right and centre. Without the support of the WWF, OVW, HWA and MCW close shop. After the loss of millions of casual fans, promotions such as JAPW, APW and UPW can't support themselves. Even promotions with a more hardcore following, such as XPW and CZW close down. Some owners say they'll be back when the industry bounces back. Others leave for good.

It is now January 2002.

The effects of The Fall are still ongoing, but there is cause for optimism. The National Wrestling Alliance, once facing extinction, has re-amalgamated under the leadership of Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes. WWF loyalists Steve Austin, The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels join the returned Shane McMahon to form Fusion Pro Wrestling. And on the west coast, Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan use their connections to form the American Wrestling Federation.

This new 'Big Three' is joined by independent federations across the country, and two exciting new touring promotions. In Canada, a rejuvenated Stampede takes the country by storm. The wrestling industry has definitely bounced back from its perilous lows, but for how long?

Can you guide your promotion through the wreckage of The Fall?

Or will the professional wrestling industry collapse for good?

http://ewr.host22.com/HOSTING/upload/main.jpg

Welcome to a new year! 2002 is set to become the year where professional wrestling makes it way back to the top, and of course, the NWA will be a part of that rise.

Tune in this Wednesday for 2002's first episode of NWA Showdown, where we will begin our tournament for all the titles, which were vacated by Ric Flair on New Year's Eve!

The following matches have been announced!

NWA World Heavyweight Tournament Quarter Final

Diamond Dallas Page Vs Chris Kanyon

Ron Simmons Vs Jeff Jarrett

NWA World Tag Team Tournament Semi Final

The Dudley Boyz Vs The Road Warriors

NWA North American Tournament Quarter Final

AJ Styles Vs Ultimo Dragon

Shane Helms Vs Jamie Knoble

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad8/EddieFnG/showdown.jpg

Jim Ross - Happy new year, ladies and gentlemen, my name is Jim Ross, next to me is Dusty Rhodes!

Dusty Rhodes - Happy new year, to you too, Jim! Welcome ladies and gentlemen, like JR said, my name is Dusty Rhodes and welcome to the first NWA Showdown of 2002!

Jim Ross - We got one hell of a show lined up for you. The titles were vacated by NWA President Ric Flair just last week, and tonight is the start of the tournaments to determine new champions!

Dusty Rhodes - That's right, Jimmy, AJ Styles, Shane Helms, Jamie Knoble and Japan's own Ultimo Dragon are fighting it out for a place in the semi finals of the North American Championship, while the Dudley Boyz take on the Road Warriors in the first of two semi finals for the vacant tag team championships.

Jim Ross - And then we move on to the tournament to determine the new NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

Dusty Rhodes - By far, the most prestigious title in the world of profesional wrestling JR, as DDP takes on Chris Kanyon tonight, and in our main event, Ron Simmons and Jeff Jarrett, none of these 4 men have ever held the NWA World Title, but that might change, soon enough.

Jim Ross - All these men are looking to put their name on the map of professional wrestling history by becoming NWA Champion, a feat you have achieved several times, have you not Dusty?

Dusty Rhodes - I have Jim, four times to be exact. And as much as I'd like to discuss this further, by the sound of this music, AJ Styles is coming out to get our first match under way.

NWA North American Championship Tournament Quarter Final

AJ Styles Vs Ultimo Dragon

The match is what you expect it to be, fast-paced, high spots and plenty of action.

AJ Styles ends up outside of the ring and as the referee is distracted by keeping Ultimo Dragon inside of the ring, somebody is seen jumping the barricade, as AJ Styles looks to see what's happening, he gets hit by a RKO from Randy Orton, Orton picks Styles up and slides him in the ring and Ultimo Dragon gets the three count, moving on to the semi-finals.

Jim Ross - What happened there, Rhodes? Styles just got screwed by that no good, Randy Orton.

Dusty Rhodes - I saw it Jim, it's disgusting behaviour, there's no other way to explain it.

Jim Ross - Randy Orton just screwed AJ Styles out of a North American title shot, and Ultimo Dragon goes through to the Semi-Finals.

Dusty Rhodes - Let's not forget Jim, Randy's in the tournament too, and will be wrestling next week, against none other than Perry Saturn.

Jim Ross - Well after tonight, Randy better watch his back in that match next week, 'cause I'm sure he just put a bull's eye on his own back, and AJ Styles is holding the darts.

Dusty Rhodes - Hold on Jim, I'm getting word that somebody's arriving backstage as we speak, a limo has pulled up to the wrestler's entrance.

The scene cuts backstage and shows a limo pulling up, the driver walks out and opens the back door, as none other than Sting walks out, he walks into the arena, greeting the various staff members in the hallway, before cutting back to the ring, just as Hank Williams, Jr's "A Country Boy Can Survive" hits the PA System, and Jamie Knoble comes out ready for his match.

Jamie Knoble Vs Shane Helms

Another high spot, fast paced match between two brilliant cruiserweights, battling it out, a very close contest, which at the end is won by Shane Helms.

Jim Ross - Now that was an excellent match-up, Dusty, two cruiserweights fighting for a spot in the semi finals against Ultimo Dragon.

Dusty Rhodes - And Shane Helms takes the win and will face Ultimo Dragon in two weeks time on NWA Showdown!

The scene goes backstage, and a little pop-up on the left bottom of the screen informs us this was pre-taped earlier that day, it shows Jim Ross standing with a mic in hand, next to him, Ron Simmons.

Jim Ross - Ron, tonight you take on "Double J" Jeff Jarrett, for a chance to get a shot at the NWA Heavyweight Championship, your thoughts?

Ron Simmons - Let me tell you Jim, tonight, I'm going on a journey...

Jim Ross - A journey, Ron?

Ron Simmons - Yes, Jim. A journey, a journey to become the first ever African American to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, people are going to laugh at me, but I'll remind them, they laughed at me when I said that in the early days of WCW, when I told the people I was going to be the first black Heavyweight champion in the history of WCW, I did it, Jim. And I'm going to do it again.

Just like that, Simmons walks away, preparing for his match as Jim Ross sends us to commercial break.

NWA World Tag Team Championships Tournament Semi Final

D-Von and Bubba Ray, The Dudley Boyz Vs. Hawk and Animal, The Road Warriors

Back from commercial break as the Road Warriors are walking down to the ring, where the Dudley Boyz await them, the match quickly gets underway, and the match features a lot of brawling, the Road Warriors get the upperhand and are about to finish the match with the Doomsday Device before an unseen low blow by D-Von stops the momentum, as Bubba Ray and D-Von get back up, they pick up RW Animal, before hitting him with a 3D and cover him for the three count.

Jim Ross - Another dirty victory here, tonight, as the Dudley Boyz go to NWA Homecoming, to face the winners of next week's match which will take place between the team of David Young and Bill DeMott, and an as of yet unannounced tag team.

[b[Dusty Rhodes[/b] - A low blow by D-Von Dudley secured them that spot, but I know the Road Warriors, this isn't over yet.

Jim Ross - I hope it isn't, as it was a great match up until that turn of events, hopefully the match will be alot straighter next time these two teams meet.

Dusty Rhodes - Now Jim, you're up, as you are about to interview DDP, before his match with Chris Kanyon.

Jim nods as he puts down his headset, grabs a mic, and enters the ring, DDP's music hits the PA System and the crowd breaks out in cheers, he makes his way to the ring and poses and takes his place next to Jim Ross as the crowd dies down.

Jim Ross - DDP, you are a 3 time WCW Champion, an impressive resume if I may say so myself, and now tonight you are in the quarter finals of the tournament that will allow you to add the NWA Championship to that list, what's your gameplan?

DDP - My gameplan Jim, is very simple, I'm gonna do what I do best, win matches, it's what I did when I won my 3 WCW Championships, it's what I did when I became United States champion, and JR, I promise you, it's what I'll do now, so Kanyon, come on out here, let's get it over and done with!

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Tournament Quarter Final

Diamond Dallas Page Vs Chris Kanyon

DDP turns his attention on the stage as he waits for Kanyon to come out, Kanyon however has somehow slipped in the ring behind DDP and strikes him from behind, JR quickly leaves the ring to re-join Dusty Rhodes in the commentator booth as the referee rings the bell and the match is underway.

Kanyon grabs the upperhand to begin with, but DDP slowly manages to get back some momentum, before hitting a diamond cutter out of nowhere and pinning Kanyon for the three.

Before DDP can celebrate however, the scene cuts backstage where Raven and Sean Morley, opponents next week are fighting each other, both men have already been cut open, as referees, road agents and other wrestlers, including Mike Awesome, the last competitor for the heavyweight tournament rush to the scene to break it up, before going to commercial break.

Jeff Jarrett Vs Ron Simmons

A very even match between these two greats which ends up with Jeff Jarrett getting a clean pinfall victory, the two men shake hands afterwards, but Jeff Jarrett takes down Simmons with a DDT, he starts beating down on him before DDP comes running out, Jarrett quickly exits the ring and leaves through the crowd as JR and Dusty Rhodes remind us to tune in next week, for the rest of the quarter finals.

Quick Results

Ultimo Dragon Def. AJ Styles - 60

Shane Helms Def. Jamie Knoble - 63

The Dudley Boyz Def. The Road Warriors - 82

Diamond Dallas Page Def. Chris Kanyon - 83

Jeff Jarrett Def. Ron Simmons - 83

Final Show Rating: 77

TV Rating: 1.76

Next week on NWA ShowDown!

Randy Orton Vs Perry Saturn

Crowbar Vs Alex Wright

NWA World Tag Team Tournament Semi Final

David Young & Bill DeMott Vs ??? & ???

Raven Vs. Sean Morley

Sting Vs Mike Awesome

Jim Ross - Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another episode of National Wrestling Alliance Showdown! My name is "JR" Jim Ross, next to me, none other than the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes!

Dusty Rhodes - Thank you Jim, and I can see you are as excited as I am about tonight's card, Sting is taking on Mike Awesome, while Raven looks to advance to the semi finals, but he will have to take on Sean Morley.

Jim Ross - Talking about Morley, Dusty. I had an interview with him just mere moments before the show started, let's take a look.

The scene cuts backstage where Jim Ross is standing next to Sean Morley, Jr's holding a mic and he looks into the camera.

Jim Ross - Ladies and gentlemen, I am Jim Ross, next to me, NWA Heavyweight Championship hopeful, Sean Morley.

Sean Morley - Thank you Jim.

Jim Ross - Sean, in Ron Simmons we had a man who was looking to become the first african american to become NWA World Heavyweight, now what you can do, won't be a first, but you are the only non American citizen in this tournament, how do you feel, representing Canada in this chance to become the heavyweight champion of the world?

Sean Morley - To be quite frank Jim, it's an honor to represent my country, the great nation of Canada, tonight, I'm gonna take out Raven, next week, I'll take out whoever I have to, and I will go onto the Anniversary Show Jim, and become NWA Champion!

The scene switches back over to the announcer's table.

Jim Ross - Well there ya have it Dusty, Sean Morley's set on becoming NWA Champion and make his fellow Canadians proud.

Alex Wright Vs Crowbar (W/ Daffney)

A good even match up with plenty of high flying moves and even a little technical wrestling, eventually won when Alex Wright was distracted by one of Daffney's screams, which lead to a quick school boy by Crowbar for the 3 count.

Jim Ross - That darn Daffney, that's the second week in a row somebody's advanced thanks to somebody's interfering.

Dusty Rhodes - Well let's face it Jim, that's wrestling these days, and I'd be lying if I said I never had somebody help win some of my matches.

Jim Ross - Tha.. oh wait, what's this?

"Burn In My Light" hits the PA System as Randy Orton walks out onto the stage, in full wrestling gear. He looks around the crowd with a smirk on his face, before slowly making his way down the ramp, and into the ring, once in the ring he gets a mic handed to him, which he then raises to his mouth.

Randy Orton - Now, no doubt, everybody is wondering, why Randy? Why did you attack AJ? And now you're all expecting me to be out here, and explain it. Well, you couldn't be further from the truth. I'm here, for one thing only, to take out Perry Saturn, and win the North American Championship, so let's cut to the chase, and get it over and done with, come on out Perry!

Randy Orton Vs Crowbar

An even match for the most part, but ended abrubtly when Orton hit the RKO after Saturn got attacked by a masked man, giving Orton the victory.

Jim Ross - Damn it Orton, he's knocked out AJ Styles, and got himself into the semi finals, and all through dirty manners, there's not a single good bone in this guy's body.

Dusty Rhodes - There sure isn't, and is a disgrace to second and third generation wrestlers, I'm glad my sons are nothing like him.

Showdown cuts to commercial break and when we come back, David Young and Bill DeMott are in the center of the ring, they're telling the surprise opponents to come out already and stop wasting their time when all of a sudden "Enter Sandman" hits the PA System to a huge ovation from the crowd, the camera pans around finally showing The Sandman up in the bleachers, he makes his way down the steps, cigarette in mouth, beer can in hand, kendo stick in the other. As he gets to the bottom he stands on the barricade behind the announcer's table, David Young is ready to leave the ring, but Bill Demott holds him back, as "Man In The Box" hits the PA System and Sandman points his kendo stick behind the two opponents in the ring, and Tommy Dreamer is standing on the stage ready to fight.

NWA World Tag Team Championships Tournament Semi Final

Tommy Dreamer & The Sandman (Representing the Extreme) Vs David Young & Bill DeMott

The two men, representing the Extreme get in the ring and get the match under way, it doesn't last long, as Tommy Dreamer provides a distraction for the referee while The Sandman hits both Young and DeMott with his kendo stick to huge pops from the crowd, before pinning Young.

Jim Ross - Tommy Dreamer and the Sandman are in NWA for the NWA Tag Team Championships.

[b[Dusty Rhodes[/b] - And they'll be facing The Dudley Boyz, old nemesis' at the NWA Anniversary Show.

Jim Ross - I can't wait for that match Dusty, and I've just heard through my headset, it's going to be a hardcore match, for the titles!

Dusty Rhodes - Talking about hardcore, up next, is Raven!

The scene goes to a commercial break, and when it comes back, Raven is in the ring, with a mic in his hand, but before he can speak, he's attacked from behind by Sean Morley.

Sean Morley Vs Raven

Sean Morley strikes Raven from behind, Raven however seems uneffected and turns around, with a menacing look in his face as he goes to work on Morley with an array of punches, Raven has the upperhand for a few minutes before Morley gets back momentum. The match goes back and forth like this before an Evenflow DDT from Raven finishes Morley off.

The scene cuts backstage where Tommy Dreamer and the Sandman are celebrating their win, when the Dudleyz walk up to them.

D-Von Dudley - Listen Tommy, Sandman, you guys just don't get it, do ya?

Bubba Ray Dudley - You guys know why we came to the NWA?

D-Von Dudley - We were bored, of kicking ass left, right and center, and now, you guys come here, to the NWA, looking for more ass kicking, or what?

Bubba Ray Dudley - You two should've stayed up in Philly, ya not welcome here, and in two weeks time, you're gonna get the ass kicking of a life time!

D-Von Dudley - B'lieve that!

Jim Ross - Well Dusty, a hardcore match, for the tag team titles, at Anniversary Show, between these two teams who have a very long history together.

Dusty Rhodes - I can't wait! But for now, the last quarter final of the World Championship Tournament, Sting and Mike Awesome!

Sting Vs Mike Awesome

The match is pretty one sided although Mike Awesome does manage to get in a few moves here and there, near the end of the match, Jeff Jarrett walks out on the stage, which distracts Sting, just long enough for Awesome to sneak up behind him and attack him. But Sting saw it coming and he sidesteps it before hitting a reverse DDT, and locking on the Scorpion Death Lock to finish Mike Awesome off.

Quick Results

Crowbar Def. Alex Wright - 62

Randy Orton Def. Perry Saturn - 75

Dreamer and Sandman Def Young and Demott - 69

Raven Def. Sean Morley - 77

Sting Def. Mike Awesome - 78

Final Show Rating: 71

TV Rating: 1.81 (Up .05 from 1.76)

Archived