colored rating boxes vs stars vs potentials

are there any direct relationships between the colored rating boxes (the two in front of players' names) and the star ratings and the potentials?

The reason why I asked is that sometimes I am confused by apparently contradicting info:

for example, I scouted a 3-star (ranked in the 300's) and a 2-star guy (ranked in the 600's) but the future color box for the 3-star is red vs the future color box for the 2-star guy is green, which is 3 levels above red. Does that mean my scout think the 2-star guy will be a much better player than the 3-star guy? In this case, should I follow my common sense and offer to the 2-star instead of the 3-star?

I also look at the potentials of the 2 guys, they both have scattered Bs and Cs everywhere, but they don't look too different to justify the red future box vs the green future box. Are the boxes correlated to the letter grade potential in some way? If so, why are the boxes so different despite relatively similar letter grades?

I understand the ratings, etc are meant to provide rough guidance only but in this case when things are so extreme, I want to grasp a handle on understanding the relationship (or priority) between the boxes, the letter grades and the stars.

Yes i believe thats based on what potential your scouts believe the player has.

I have decent scouts but in long wrong i go with my gut feeling,and that has helped alot. I have taken Hawaii from a 50 to a 62 prestige in 6 years and finished 35 in the nation in recruiting class my last season. Just cause a player has 3 stars vs another's 2 dont always mean the 3 star better will be better.

The letter grades and the colored boxes come from your scout's point of view and the color of the box is determined using the letter grades. The star ratings are from another source. In the end you'll want to use all the information you have available to you to decide which player you prefer. The player stats can also come into play and you might value certain attributes differently than the system used to determine the rating colors.

Personally, I don't even use the little colored boxes. I found that they just seemed to throw me off. So I stopped referring to them at all. In fact, I went into the color editor and changed them all to white so I wouldn't be tempted to look at them. This doesn't mean that I question the validity and

usefulness of the colored boxes because I think this is a brilliant game. I've never stopped playing it since the first version was released in 2002 or 2003.

Archived