How to edit .dat files

Microsoft Access or the free Open Office. Microsoft Access won't open the file just double clicking on it as .dat are general data files not asigned to any editor by default. To open it, right click with your mouse over the .dat file and choose "Open with". If Access is not in the "open with list", select the option "choose program" and then choose Microsoft Access. Note: the right menu options names can be a bit different from what i wrote as my windows is in Spanish language and i just translated them for you.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE='[Icy]']Microsoft Access or the free Open Office. Microsoft Access won't open the file just double clicking on it as .dat are general data files not asigned to any editor by default. To open it, right click with your mouse over the .dat file and choose "Open with". If Access is not in the "open with list", select the option "choose program" and then choose Microsoft Access. Note: the right menu options names can be a bit different from what i wrote as my windows is in Spanish language and i just translated them for you.[/QUOTE] I've never used Open Office before... all I see when I open the files are garbage characters or #### signs. Any advice for someone new to .dat editing?

[QUOTE=dp68]I'd really like some help editing these files too. I cannot import them using Excel or any of the Office Suite. I don't seem to have Microsoft Access, honestly I have never heard of it.[/QUOTE] Of course Excell won't open it, you need Microsoft Access that is also into the Office suite. Else we have suggested already the free openoffice. You can also wait for Arlie 1.1 patch that will have a built in editor.

Here's how to open them using OpenOffice. 1. Go to [b]Start[/b]-[b]All Programs[/b]-[b]OpenOffice.org 2.0[/b]-[b]OpenOffice.org Base[/b]. That should open the Database Wizard. 2. Where it asks "What do you want to do?", select [b]Connect to an existing database[/b]. In the pulldown menu, select [b]Microsoft Access[/b]. Click the [b]Next[/b] button. 3. Click the [b]Browse[/b] button and find the database file you want to edit. By default, the dialog will only show files with extension ".mdb". To see files with extension ".dat" (the BBCF files), you must type "*.dat" into the "File Name" box. 4. Click [b]Finish[/b]. A dialog will appear asking where you want to save the new database. This file is just a connection to the BBCF database so it doesn't matter what you name it or where you save it. 5. The database will be open now. Select the Tables option on the far left and double-click on a table to open it for editing.

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=flounder]Here's how to open them using OpenOffice. 1. Go to [b]Start[/b]-[b]All Programs[/b]-[b]OpenOffice.org 2.0[/b]-[b]OpenOffice.org Base[/b]. That should open the Database Wizard. 2. Where it asks "What do you want to do?", select [b]Connect to an existing database[/b]. In the pulldown menu, select [b]Microsoft Access[/b]. Click the [b]Next[/b] button. 3. Click the [b]Browse[/b] button and find the database file you want to edit. By default, the dialog will only show files with extension ".mdb". To see files with extension ".dat" (the BBCF files), you must type "*.dat" into the "File Name" box. 4. Click [b]Finish[/b]. A dialog will appear asking where you want to save the new database. This file is just a connection to the BBCF database so it doesn't matter what you name it or where you save it. 5. The database will be open now. Select the Tables option on the far left and double-click on a table to open it for editing.[/QUOTE] good help for a walkthrough and I got this far. How do you save it when you are done editing it? When I hit save it just saves it as the open document database not as the pstats.mdb? Also where on the table are the highschools?

[QUOTE=Green Caesar]I have Access 97 and I am getting a message that the file is in an unrecognized database format. [i]I am trying to open Icy's 1.5 database[/i][/QUOTE] Access 97 is too old, you need a newer version to edit it.

[QUOTE=Colbster]how new????[/QUOTE] I don't know, but i use 2003 and i don't have any problem editing the file. But 97... that is 9 years old.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I am also getting this... the properties for the file do not say "read-only" but when i try to edit pstats.dat, i get an error message saying: Error updating the current record Operation must use an updateable query Now I have very limited database knowledge, I taught myself the basics just by modding BBCF for my own amusement, but I do think I teach myself these things decently and I feel as though I've tried everything possible... is it a limitation of the current Open Office suite or can anyone offer more specific help? thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE=ThrowTheBall;562000]When I open it in access it says it's read-only, but I checked in properties, and it's not. :([/QUOTE] [QUOTE=zekeroberts;1024176]I am also getting this... the properties for the file do not say "read-only" but when i try to edit pstats.dat, i get an error message saying: Error updating the current record Operation must use an updateable query Now I have very limited database knowledge, I taught myself the basics just by modding BBCF for my own amusement, but I do think I teach myself these things decently and I feel as though I've tried everything possible... is it a limitation of the current Open Office suite or can anyone offer more specific help? thanks in advance![/QUOTE] I was having the same problem as ya'll and finally figured out what to do on my own. It won't allow you to change the pstats file to non read-only while it's in the game folder. If you move or copy the pstats file to your desktop and then open it, you'll be able to edit it.

Archived