Any opinions on this method of running a promotion?

Tournament & The Titles

From 90 to 94, VFL will hold a tournament every year for each weight class. January, March and May will be the qualifiers for the ascending weights shown on TV with the tournaments taking place in July, September and November on PPV. The winner of the tournament will be awarded with 'The Fighting Pride' title of that year. There are no titles in VFL, the p4p fighter of their weightclass at the end of the year will be awarded that year's Fighting Pride title. The title cannot be defended or lost until the next champion is crowned, and it is treated more as an award than an actual championship. There is no different stipulations for the champion matchwise, but following the 5 tournaments, each main event will be a 5 rounder.

Qualifying & Boundaries

The victor of the past tournament will automatically qualify for the following year, and the runner up will face the spare part who did not qualify for the previous tournament but won his match(es), if there is no spare part, they will face the fighter with the best record. If a fighter has been beaten twice by any competitor in any of the tournaments, they will automatically be unable to qualify if their successor is also participating. This ensures there is no constant rematches or the same fight for the main event every year. Each match in the tournament will last for 3 rounds and there will be 8 competitors. If potential rematches are capable of happening, the fighters will be put as far away from eachother ensuring that there is no unneccesary rematches, especially if there is a gulf in skill.

'95 & So On

After the tournaments, as stated, the Fighting Pride will be decided as the #1 P4P of each weight division every year. The Fighting Pride is given not to the best fighter of that year, but the pride of the company and the weight division. If there are multiple candidates such as a tied or similar record whom haven't faced eachother to decide who is the best, or have drew, a vote will occur, or if there is interest; a match will be set up between the two to decide who is the best. As previously stated, the title cannot be defended, as this leads to time wasting with finding the correct opponent to challenge for the belt. With this, it ensures every fighter is always ready to fight, including the champion who does not have to risk losing his belt to an unworthy challenger or not putting his title on the line.

Any flaws you see with it? I've decided to try and do this because finding challengers for the belt is irritating, especially when your fighter has beaten most of the competition in the tournament and the only option is a rematch I'd rather have a couple of years down the line. I've basically just figured out a way to use belts as awards rather than titles to defend, I think it'll work better. Your thoughts?

I've thought about doing something similar to this before but my problem was that I didn't know what I'd do if one of the fighters in the tournament didn't have enough matches left on his contract to make it to the finals.

I've thought about doing something similar to this before but my problem was that I didn't know what I'd do if one of the fighters in the tournament didn't have enough matches left on his contract to make it to the finals.

I ran into that problem, but I found a way to deal with it. Because it was 1990 and everyone in my promotion were new starters, I could sign them up to pretty much any contract I wanted. Choosing 5 matches and giving them 12 month on the contract would allow me to put them in the tournament and allow them to qualify. The only problem I've ran into with this is when they get too big (and only two or three fighters will, they'll have to have won the tournament a few times or have gotten to the final alot) they won't accept a 12 month contract and you'll have to stretch it to 15 month or more which could be bad. There's probably a way to do a contract for 2 years and give them 8 matches or something, but I only run the tournaments for 5 year so by the time one of my guys (I think it was James Foster) demanded more time on his contract, I could sign him up for as many matches as I wanted as it was the last two tournaments, and he never needed to qualify anyway as he always won.

I've just thought about another way to deal with this problem - although my idea falls short if your intent is to play competitively against the AI - but if you're only interested in sandbox play, it should work quite well:

Here's what I'll be doing:

I'll set my game up so that I control all feeder promotions right from the beginning and whenever I run into an issue concerning matches left on the fighter's contract, I'll terminate his contract and wait for one of my feeder to pick him up again. Surprised I hadn't thought about this simple workaround earlier.

I don't know if that'll work due to them turning your contract down not wanting to fight in the promotion for a while, but that might work.

I couldn't do that as I start in 1990 and none of the promotions are open.

Archived