Pain & Glory: Bleeding For Excellence

Back Story

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/SIGMA.jpg

1997 was supposed to be a coming out global party for SIGMA. After finally gaining worldwide acknowledgement and becoming one of the biggest and most popular promotions in the world thanks to a group of talented fighters SIGMA’s next step was to challenge the likes of Alpha-1 and GAMMA.

However greed and a little bit of unfortunate luck changed all of that. In the United States an Ohio based company created a worldwide life-changing phenomenon. A product so great, so revolutionary, something that deserved to be in every time capsule to show how far humanity has come. That invention…Silly Bandz. Yes those little rubber things that form into whatever clever design they were told to. While popular with people they were also one of the best business inventions of all time, costing less than a dollar to make dozens of packets the profit margin was extremely high and demand was even higher. Not wanting to miss out on this can’t miss money maker SIGMA CEO and founder Jan de Mol won a large bidding war to obtain the rights to manufacture them in Europe and became Europe’s face for Silly Bandz, he even manufactured “SIGMA” shaped bands.

Things came crashing down when a disgruntled employee rigged machines to make “male anatomy” Silly Bandz that were distributed all across Europe. Needless to say the public backlash was enormous. What was first perceived as a small joke that would hopefully blow over took the complete opposite turn skyrocketing into news story after news story, online protest pages, and public Silly Bandz group burnings. The North American Silly Bandz blamed everything on its European counter part forcing them to go bankrupt and shut down. This devastated Jan de Mol as he lost the absurd amount of money that was invested in the manufacturing plants that were no where near being paid off after only operating for only a few months and of course the large amount of paid out in the bidding war. With no other options he was forced to put SIGMA up for sale in order to repay the banks and avoid his personal bankruptcy.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/JacekKasprzyk.gifhttp://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/LanceDecker.gif

European businessman Jacek Kasprzyk purchased the company and created major changes. While he saw the promise and growth in MMA he doubted its popularity in Europe could attain what he it has and would in America or Japan and sought to move the company. Unable to get into Japan he created moved to America and hired oil tycoon and MMA enthusiast Lance Decker to help with the American move. Kasprzyk’s aim was to bring in fans by present high quality better fighters instead of the trash talking loud-mouthed American fighters who at the time were more hype than fight. With their initial talented roster impressive it was questioned whether the small numbers of those impressive fighters would be enough when they received a stroke of luck.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/KDMFC.jpg

While it hurt MMA globally as a whole it helped out Kasprzyk as Asia passed a law that would outlaw MMA in late 1997 that would take effect January 1, 1998. This shocked many especially including KDMFC, which had just opened earlier that year. Many in the MMA community waited for the law to take into effect and see many of their top stars sign with nearby Alpha-1. Not to let an opportunity pass by Lance Decker approached KDMFC owner Raymundo Reyes about purchasing the company. Originally shocked and offended by the offer Reyes refused but in mid December with no other options available he agreed to secret sale of the company, after all what is the use of having a high profile MMA company where it is banned, effectively transferring all contracts to Decker allowing him to pick and choose workers for their new promotion.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25/joebd80/WMMA/Logos/AFF-L.jpghttp://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25/joebd80/WMMA/Logos/IFC-L.jpghttp://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25/joebd80/WMMA/Logos/WFA-L.jpg

(credit to Weidt for those promotion gfx)

With a bolstered Featherweight and Lightweight divisions and after picking up some American prospects and talent to bolster name recognition things were almost set. Decker had two final big ideas to help the upstart promotion. First was to have development promotions for new workers and some of their European fighters to better establish themselves in the U.S. Riding the momentum of a new company and the rise of MMA and rich people wanting to own their own company Decker offered for people to use their fighters and names if people paid the costs. It did not take long for him to find two gullible suitors and so the American Fight Federation was founded with 145 and 155 prospects, Intense Fighting Championship was founded with 170 and 185 weight divisions along with World Fighting Association for 205, and 265 prospects.

His final move was a partnership with a good friend of his than gyms and boxing training centers. Their idea was to create a MMA training gym franchise around the world that would allow 10 fighters from each country to train at their exclusive facility.

Now with a new group of fighters, a place for them to establish themselves, and a place for them to train only one thing was missing, their first event.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/pngbanner.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/pngmain.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/pngbelt.gif

Welcome to Pain & Glory. Bleeding for excellence.

Promotion Summary

-Pain and Glory started with SIGMA and KDM FC’s foundation and was moved to the U.S.

-It also has three feeder promotions. The reason for three is so that I can split up my prospects by weight class (FW, LW, WW then MW, LHW, HW) allowing them to fight more.

-This is also meant to be a fun fantasy type diary game, I won’t be focusing on following game rules strictly, if a favorite fighters become available I may fudge it to sign them, if I go bankrupt I will reload and give money, these type of things.

-Starting promotion popularity will be mid-regional.

- set all my fighters cage comfort to 100 as some were really bad and I don’t want them losing just b/c of that. While I love the ring/cage feature, its not something I want out of this game save.

Q: Why the U.S.?

A: 1) I'm American myself. 2) America is always at the top of country sort lists and I find it annoying dating back to TEW to have another option to sort through. 3) Many of the popular fighters in the game have higher American popularity and the transition of signing people is generally easier because of that.

Q: Why take over SIGMA and KDM?

A: For one being an American I've always loved the foreign fighters in the WMMA series as they have always appealed to me more. Because of that SIGMA and BCF now have many of my favorite fighters. It also creates different match ups as you now can see American fighters going against more European+ fighters. KDM was taken over to cut down on game world data and bolster the FW division since its fairly weak.

Fighter Summary

- I like to have lots of fighters. The more the merrier, which is why I have three feeders.

- Company will be made me made up of all fight backgrounds. I especially love guys that excel in one area to pit them against each other instead of a mediocre all rounder.

- Lots of unkown/low level guys as I’m looking to build great fighters not put on better shows with awful fighters

- Lots of talented fighters which makes it harder to push guys but makes fights more interesting, never do I do a 60% rep guy vs. a an awful 20% rep as a can fight.

- Lowered popularity of National guys such as Dooley, Ho, etc.

- In addition to SIGMA and KDMFC also have 5 of my favorites from BFC: Doug Hansen, Jake Keane, Seth O’Breen, Andrew Rush, Vikram, Rav Kapur, Stafford Alois

- Also from GAMMA: Benny Denare

Booking Style

- I like to run two events per month.

- I usually have 12 matches distributed equally among weight classes unless there is not enough from one weight class for that event

- I try to have each event be a title match but since that is not always the case I try to make it a #1 contenders match then, I don't like just throwing people together.

- I try not to book people with greater than 20-30% difference in reputation.

- I try to book people in the same form meaning winning streak/losing streak, which is why you might see two awful guys go at it in an attempt to improve one of them. My feeling behind this is that it creates a def. winner momentum wise. I do not want to book a fighter on a winning streak against someone on a losing streak only to have the losing streak win then have two guys in a slump.

Rules

- Fights are in cages

- Non-title 3 X 5, titles 5 X 5

- Ref can separate

- No 10-count recovery

- Elbows are legal

- All knees and kicks are legal (no stomps)

- pulling guard is legal

Elite MMA

Elite MMA was an experiment I started in WMMA 2 that never really played out. The premise is simple, create a camp in each game region with max reputation and world renowned in each category only allowing 10 fighters in and see how well they can improve and if it is any more than other fighters. Some regions have been combined or mixed a little bit due to lack of available fighters.

Dynasty

- Will post two shows at once as I plan on two events per month

- Predictions total will be kept per event instead of per matches in case people miss an event or come in late.

- Each event prediction will be counted separate (so two per post)

- I plan on updating Rankings/ developmental updates around every 2/3 months as monthly isn’t really worth it.

- Will include general promotion news monthly when new card is posted

Roster

Featherweight

Alejandro Laguera

Alvaro Negredo

Benedikt Streit

Brian Claremont

Britt Dickering

Chan Wan Wah

Colm Dee

David James Diggle

Fernando Peragon

Francesco Marazzina

Ikeda Kenkichio

Kenji Akita

Lamont Banner

Lars Bohlin

Li-Kong Ho

Manish Khan

Marco Bernacci

Markus Waller

Masahiro Maeno

Milovan Ajetovic

Norberto

Reza Afshar

Snorri Gunnarsson

Sophan Sastrowardoya

Tomohiro Takeuchi

Yoshiro Makamori

Lightweight

Ahmed Mohamed Farag

Atep of Indonesia

Carl Chenoweth

Doug Minnelli

Fiyero Lermontov

Georges Nouri

Jake Keane

Lubos Plasil

Luis Basora

Lukas Mellberg

Marcus Speed

Maurice Braudel

Milenko Rudonja

Ralph Concannon

Sukarno

Welterweight

Alberto Basora

Benny Danare

Brad Wyman

Callum Henson

Chad Zoff

Delroy Rhodes

Dominykas Jankovic

Doug Hansen

Evan Pizzarro

Evgeni Medtner

Gideon Navarro

Gus Fitzpatrick

Heikichi Shimizu

Houston George

Joe Hinchcliffe

Jonn Wales

Joshua Ziegler

Kenneth Toadspew

Noach Van Der Capellen

Piotr Dabrowski

Templeton Crumb

Middleweight

Alex Cole

Bill Brown

Billy Russell

Carl Ratcliffe

Drazen Gabelich

Drew Jenks

Dwayne Alleyne

Ezio Gnocchi

Fernando Amaro

Fjodor Kanchelskis

Hunter Scribbins

Isaiah Monroe

Jaromir Grygera

Jonathan Huang

Kramer Mayweather

Nick Detroit

Oleg Tariverdiev

Thorbjorn Rekdal

Timothy McNally

Tony Legg

Tora Mizwar

Uwe Maier

Wes Hersch

Light Heavyweight

Adrian Pascal

Alekos Karabatsos

Aleksei Chekhov

Andranik Paletilolu

Daniil Skala

Faas Smit

Gavriil Sviridov

Guillermo Morales

Hyun-Shik Lim

Jericho Stewart

Jerry Bogdonovich

Logan Bluffer

Logan Sky

Mantas Andreyev

Matti Kurri

Nicolai Mickiewicz

Niko Soldo

Rafael van der Moot

Shane Gilchrist

Toby Sorkin

Valentin Taneyev

William Harrison

Heavyweight

Aleksander Ivanov

Christopher Sharp

Chuck Dooley

Fletcher Merman

Grzegorz Boniek

Gunnar Nilsson

Guy Broom

Jean-Pierre Richelleau

Kurt McDonald

Lefter Oktay

Mugur Boc

Norman Pike

Rav Kapur

Russell McPhee

Sam Hoynes

Sly Twinge

Souleymane Ya Konan

Stafford Alois

Steve Mason

Stratos Papaioannou

Sylvester Collins

Taye Burnett

Terron Cabal

Tomoji Takaoka

Wally Bryant

Wilson Franklyn

Rankings

(wolrd ranking, P4P ranking, change from last)

Featherweight

1. Li-Kong Ho: WR 1, P4P 5

2.Tomohiro Takeuchi: WR 3, P4P 10

3. Lars Bohlin: WR 4, P4P 23

4. Masahiro Maeno: WR 5

5. Snorri Gunnarsson: WR 6

6. Norberto: WR 9

7. Manish Khan: WR 11

8. Kenji Akita: WR 14

9. Alvaro Negredo: WR 17

10. Colm Dee: WR 18

Lightweight

1. Sukarno: WR 2, P4P 9

2. Luis Basora: WR 3, P4P 16

3. Jake Keane: WR 5, P4P 25

4. Lukas Mellberg: WR: 12

5. Fiyero Lermontov: WR 14

6. Milenko Rudonja: WR 15

7. Atep of Indonesia: WR 17

8. Georges Nouri: WR 21

9. Maurice Braudel

10. Lubos Plasil

Welterweight

1. Noach Van Der Capellen: WR 2, P4P 13

2. Templeton Crumb: WR 10

3. Evgeni Medtner: WR 25

4. Doug Hansen

5. Callum Henson

6. Alberto Basora

7. Kenneth Toadspew

8. Dominykas Jankovic

9. Joe Hinchcliffe

10. Piotr Dabrowski

Middleweight

1. Fernando Amarmo: WR 17

2. Tora Mizwar: WR 20

3. Jaromir Grygera: WR 23

4. Carl Ratcliffe

5. Fjodor Kanchelskis

6. Uwe Maier

7. Alex Cole

8. Jonathan Huang

9. Drazen Gabelich

10. Oleg Tariverdiev

Light Heavyweight

1. Niko Soldo: WR 5

2. Aleksei Chekhov: WR 6

3. Nicolai Mickiewicz: WR 11

4. Daniil Skala: WR 14

5. Hyun-Shik Lim: WR 18

6. Aleko Karabatsos: 24

7. Shane Gilchrist

8. Faas Smit

9. Mantas Andreyev

10. Andranik Paletilolu

Heavyweight

1. Stafford Alois: WR 7

2. Grzegorz Boniek: WR 11

3. Stratos Papaioannou: WR 16

4. Gunnar Nilsson: WR 20

5. Jean-Pierre Richeleau: WR 21

6. Terron Cabal: WR 23

7. Norman Pike: WR 25

8. Christopher Sharp

9. Lefter Oktay

10. Russell McPhee

Pain and Glory Present: P&G 1: Sharp vs. Pike, January Week 3 Saturday 1998

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/jester_x7769/pngbelt.gif

Christopher Sharp 34-12 vs. Norman Pike 16-4 For P&G Heavyweight Title

In a battle to crown the first Pain and Glory Heavyweight champion Sharp and Pike will fight for the takedown and it will most likely be the man who can stay on top will win. Sharp relies on his ground and pound due to his weak chin but his poor submission defense may be his undoing on the ground. Pike will also most likely try to take Sharp down to work some ground and pound or try to capitalize on the submission attempt, the interesting thing to look out for is if Pike can pull off a submission from the bottom.

Jonathan Huang 4-0 vs. Alex Cole 7-0

In the co-main event Huang will be on constant takedown duty against cole. Cole has above average takedown and submission defense which may give Huang some trouble. If Cole can keep it on the feet long enough to land some punches and kicks he may be able to rack up enough points from the judges to pick up a decision as he most likely lacks the power to KO Huang on the feet.

Noach Van Der Capellen 22-3 vs. Evgeni Medtner 20-5

The #2 Welterweight in the world goes up against the #25 Welterweight in a very even contest. While Van Der Capellen is used to using his all around game to his advantage and play to his opponents weakness Medtner isn't far behind as an all arounder. With both excelling on their feet we may in for an exciting stand up fireworks war.

Grzegorz Boniek 33-4 vs. Stratos Papaioannou 26-5

Two big heavyweights that like to fight on the ground could once again be who gets on top. Boniek is the better wrestler and grappler but Papaioannou has better submissions. Boniek will want to lay on Papaioannou for a decision while Papaioannou will need to be actively looking for a slip up so he can grab a limb.

Ezio Gnocchi 5-0 vs. Drazen Gabelich 6-1

Ezio is the better stand up fighter as Drazen is awful on his feet just like Ezio is awful on the ground. Unfortunately for Ezio his poor takedown defense and Drazen's high submission game may be the key factors here. If Ezio can stay on his feet long enough to use his punch and kick techniques he may be able to pick up the decision but lacks the power to put Gnocchi away.

Fiyero Lermontov 11-0 vs. Milenko Rudonja 17-4

Lermontov is clearly the better all around fighter but "The Slovenian Rocket" Rudonja looks to make this interesting with his high power kicks. Rudonja will be lookng to land leg kicks to slow Lermontov's takedowns while looking to hit a big kick to the head to take him out. Lermontov will most likely look to take it to the floor so he doesn't have to worry about Rudonja's kicks but his ego may take hold and he may want to stand with him to get the KO.

Rafael van der Moot 7-0 vs. Gavriil Sviridov 4-1

In what is sure to be a knockout van der Moot takes on fellow kick boxer Sviridov. While van der Moot has world renowned stand up and Sviridov is only above average anything can happen in a stand up fight and Sviridov will be looking to land a big punch to counter van der Moot's abilities.

Lars Bohlin 48-6 vs. Norberto 27-5

It is the wrestler versus the submission artist. Bohlin will try to use his trademark "Wall and Stall" strategy by pinning Norberto against the cage and hope Norberto cannot get a trip from there. While Bohlin is decent on the ground Norberto is clearly better so it will be interesting to see if the fight does go the ground if Norberto can capitalize.

Toby Sorkin 3-0 vs. Jerry Bogdonovich 5-0

No chess match here. Sorkin wants the fight on the mat. Bogdonovich wants to break Sorkin's jaw standing.

Houston George 2-0 vs. Heikichi Shimizu 2-0

Shimizu is a top ground fighter but George is a high level wrestler. If George can wrestle out of Shimizu's takedowns and out of dangerous spots on the ground he may be able to pull of the win.

Carl Chenoweth 1-0 vs. Doug Minnelli 1-0

Two young kick boxers will go at each other here looking to make their way in Pain and Glory. Neither has any ground game whatesoever so it seems as if it will be on its feet for the whole time.

Lamont Banner 1-0 vs. Brian Claremont 4-1

In another stand up war, the highly touted boxer Lamont Banner takes on the power puncher that is Claremont. Banner will likely bounce in and out of the pocket using technique to pick apart Claremont while Claremont hopes to catch Banner with his big overhand right.

Niko Soldo 14-1-1 vs. Andranik Paletilolu 15-5

One of the best kick boxers in MMA Niko Soldo takes on a risky competitor in Paletilolu. Many will point to Soldo clearly being better onp aper but Paletilolu definitely has the power to upset Soldo.

Dwayne Alleyne 4-0 vs. Fjodor Kanchelskis 10-0

A great up and coming wrestler, Allene is hoping to grind out a decision on the ground. However Kanchelskis is also good on the ground but will most likely use his great boxing to go after Alleyne on the feet.

Doug Hansen 15-4 vs. Piotr Dabrowski 16-5

"The Nightmare" Doug Hansen looks to pull a limb off Dabrowski who is one of the best all arounders. Whil not excelling in any area, if he can control Hansen on the ground keeping him in full guard he may be able to pull off a win.

Marcus Speed 2-0 vs. Lubos Plasil 4-0

Speed will look to use his kicks to pick apart Plasil while Plasil looks to use his ground game to take out Speed. Unfortunately for Speed it really looks like he is over matched but that's why they fight!

Snorri Gunnarsson 20-4-1 vs. Benedikt Streit 18-5

This bout will make grappling fans mouths water. Neither is heads and shoulders above the other when it comes to the ground as both like to pound peoples heads into the canvas. If it is a stalemate Gunnarsson's better submissions may come into play.

Tomoji Takaoka 1-0 vs. Wally Bryant 1-0

Is the ring reimbursed? No seriously. In a MASSIVE heavyweight fight with both fighters looking to weigh in at the maximum 265 pounds both have the same game plan and skills, use their size to take the other guy down and punch him in the face. There are not many X factors here, its just the case of who can inflict their physical will on the other

Prediction Key:

Note: Not all cards will have 18 fights as I prefer to have 12, however I know the roster is bloated and will cut it down severely after the first couple events

Nice start Jester and some great matchups on this card'

Jonathan Huang 4-0 vs. Alex Cole 7-0 (Could go either way)

Thanks, my whole goal is to have matchups that you wouldn't get in a normal game which will be easier once the Europeans aren't "unknown" And yes I'm getting in on my own predictions and no I really haven't simmed it yet, I just finished booking my 2nd event going to sim through them later tonight and get the write ups ready.