The Glut

Hashasheen

<p>The with Brock is, he was an amazing natural athlete, AND he looks the part. The guy has Athletcism, was powerful and tough, and get this... had enough "gas" not to blow up. For a guy his size, that's got to be something else. </p><p> </p><p>

Plus, he learned at an amazingly fast rate. Most guys his size usually have very, very, very bad matches, but he was quite good. On top of that, he did Shoot Star Presses... when he was reaching upwards of 295 pounds! Moonsault? Sure, Vader had done it... but a Shooting Star Press? He only botched it once. **** was amazing. </p><p> </p><p>

But in any case, Brock's biggest weakness has always been his flakiness.</p>

<p>Yeah I mean how could Brock Lesnar possibly not be a big deal? Not only was he huge, he was incredibly quick and fluid in the ring, had a very strong amateur background. You could give him a gimmick worse than Deacon Batista and he'd still be a force inside of a year. </p><p> </p><p>

And no, Matt Morgan and Lesnar never "switched gimmicks." Morgan debuted on Season 2 of Tough Enough (2002), while Lesnar debuted in WWE in March of that year. </p><p> </p><p>

You're probably basing that on an aborted Morgan re-debut on Smackdown where he started using the F-5, but that was after Lesnar had already left. While I feel like WWE did miss the boat on Morgan somewhat, there's no question but that Brock was a surefire main event guy, as he was far more skilled than Morgan.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30383" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> But in any case, Brock's biggest weakness has always been his flakiness.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't want to turn this into a Brock thread, but I coompletely disagree with the idea that he was 'flaky'</p><p> </p><p> Brock was a competitive athlete; after the fact it just seems like he what he really wanted was to continue to be a competitive athlete. He couldn't do football. Amateur style wrestling has no real market past the NCAA stage. Pro wrestling was his only other obvious option, and it seems like he just wasn't happy in what is -at the end of the day - a fake sport. </p><p> </p><p> If UFC or MMA in general had been more mainstream in 02 he probably never sets foot inside the WWF/E.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30383" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah I mean how could Brock Lesnar possibly not be a big deal? Not only was he huge, he was incredibly quick and fluid in the ring, had a very strong amateur background. You could give him a gimmick worse than Deacon Batista and he'd still be a force inside of a year. <p> </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's how I feel. He just brings too much to the table.</p>

I don't want to turn this into a Brock thread, but I coompletely disagree with the idea that he was 'flaky'

Brock was a competitive athlete; after the fact it just seems like he what he really wanted was to continue to be a competitive athlete. He couldn't do football. Amateur style wrestling has no real market past the NCAA stage. Pro wrestling was his only other obvious option, and it seems like he just wasn't happy in what is -at the end of the day - a fake sport.

If UFC or MMA in general had been more mainstream in 02 he probably never sets foot inside the WWF/E.

That's how I feel. He just brings too much to the table.

I don't know if he was SUPER flaky, but he was definitely flaky. It's not just that, though. There's other things I can say, but separately, they mean very little, and have very little backing, but together, it makes a lot of sense.

And it wasn't the fact that it was a fake sport that got Brock... I think even Brock had said as much in interviews. It was the fact that he had to travel a lot, and he absolutely HATES traveling around.

But it was not exactly a reliable person... not in the sense he would suddenly suck or be botchy in the ring, but in that you can trust him to stick around, for good and the bad. Now, you can there isn't enough evidence in his WWE days. Then you can say there isn't enough in his Japanese wrestling days. Then you can there isn't enough evidence in his football days. And then you can there isn't enough evidence in his Japanese MMA days.

Each area is in its own isn't enough to prove Brock was flaky... but together, yeah, he isn't that most reliable person. He's burnt a lot a bridges, which, if it weren't the fact he was Brock Lesnar, will be very hard to rebuild. That's how damn special the guy is... he can screw people over, and they will STILL want him back, just because so valuable.

But in any case, Brock is just one-of-a-kind guy, even more so than Goldberg. Goldberg was athletic, but Brock was that AND was incredibly in the ring for a guy his size AND experience. It was like he learned how to be Vader and Goldberg within a year.

Another factor with Lesnar is that he never loved wrestling. He didn't grow up watching it. He wasn't "living his dream" like so many wrestler stars are. It was really just a job. He also seems a very private person. I don't know if those factors combined with the "flakiness" (as amp describes it), amplified it, created it, or whatever... But looking back now, its really no surprise at all that he didn't stick with wrestling after getting to the top of the "sport" so quickly. And I won't be surprised if he doesn't stick with MMA for a long time, either....

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30383" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Another factor with Lesnar is that he never loved wrestling. He didn't grow up watching it. He wasn't "living his dream" like so many wrestler stars are. It was really just a job. He also seems a very private person. I don't know if those factors combined with the "flakiness" (as amp describes it), amplified it, created it, or whatever... But looking back now, its really no surprise at all that he didn't stick with wrestling after getting to the top of the "sport" so quickly. And I won't be surprised if he doesn't stick with MMA for a long time, either....</div></blockquote><p> I think Brock wanted to be in football more than anything else. And honestly speaking, i think it fits him the best when it comes to interests... except he didn't want to go NFL Europe (I think) and hates traveling. </p><p> </p><p> That being said, he's made enough money for himself (and others), but he's also been very selfish and a pain to deal with. I question his mental toughness, if not anything else.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30383" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think Brock wanted to be in football more than anything else. And honestly speaking, i think it fits him the best when it comes to interests... except he didn't want to go NFL Europe (I think) and hates traveling. <p> </p><p> That being said, he's made enough money for himself (and others), but he's also been very selfish and a pain to deal with. I question his mental toughness, if not anything else.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Brock would never have made the NFL. He's got great size and great athleticism, but there's tons of guys with similar physical skills who actually played in college and who actually were stars in HS. Brock didn't want to go to NFL Europe because he knew he realistically didn't have a chance to and would've spent years wasting away on a taxi squads.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="PeterHilton" data-cite="PeterHilton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30383" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Brock would never have made the NFL. He's got great size and great athleticism, but there's tons of guys with similar physical skills who actually played in college and who actually were stars in HS. Brock didn't want to go to NFL Europe because he knew he realistically didn't have a chance to and would've spent years wasting away on a taxi squads.</div></blockquote><p> I agree, but Brock wanted to do it... and probably would have made a lot of money anyway. But beyond that, he hates traveling. It makes me wonder how long he will last in MMA because of this... I mean, the travelling is pretty light compared to wrestling, but he likes to be in the middle of nowhere... so...</p>

<p>I doubt it's the same. I don't think it's the actual traveling part that's the hard part. In the WWE, you're on the road most of the year, constantly in hotels, away from family and friends, moving from town to town with just enough time to hit the local gym and then get back out on the road. </p><p> </p><p>

MMA doesn't have nearly the schedule demands of being on the road with WWE. He can train at his home or local gym, filming and photo shoots are maybe a few days of stuff that can be built around his schedule, and otherwise he doesn't have much else to do but hang out at home and train.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30383" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I doubt it's the same. I don't think it's the actual traveling part that's the hard part. In the WWE, you're on the road most of the year, constantly in hotels, away from family and friends, moving from town to town with just enough time to hit the local gym and then get back out on the road. <p> </p><p> MMA doesn't have nearly the schedule demands of being on the road with WWE. He can train at his home or local gym, filming and photo shoots are maybe a few days of stuff that can be built around his schedule, and otherwise he doesn't have much else to do but hang out at home and train.</p></div></blockquote><p> You are correct, but he still seems to hate it, despite it all. It has gotten worse, not better, with him. He's gotten more reclusive as he gained more notoriety, not less. I can understand why he wouldn't want the attention... he likes individual people, but doesn't feel any kinship to any social groups.</p>

New question. In my fantasy dynasty, both Sid Vicious and Jeff Jarrett were not kept on by WCW. Would Vicious return to the WWF and would either one go to ECW?

Vicious has made it be known a number of times since the death of WCW that he is ready and willing to return to WWE and, well, he hasn't shown up yet and it's been almost ten years.

If Vicious went back to ECW he would have stayed long enough to squash a few people before walking out on them, conveniently enough right before being asked to do a job, again. Jarrett would have been a fish out of water in ECW so I doubt he would fit there.

Archived