Gimmick Ratings and general help with gimmicks

Ok, so I've been back playing TEW for awhile and I'm at a loss to understand gimmick ratings.

I've got Kevin Nash using an outsider gimmick that fits him perfectly. It's rated at C+ right now and every match he's in is getting penalized for a poor gimmick. I can't change his gimmick as he's only been with the company for a few months now.

How do I increase a gimmick rating without giving him a successful turn?

I've got the same problem with several members of my roster who have C or C+ rated gimmicks. I know the note can't mean the gimmick doesn't suit them as I checked and it does. Any help would be appreciated!

I am 99% sure the reason 98% of people have a problem with gimmicks capping at 66 (or C+) most of the time is due to product confliction.

"Means that fans wont like simple gimmicks" and "Fans wont be too Keen on gimmicks" I think are the contradictions.

But I think I read that a C+ is a EXTREMELY small penalty (0.1 or something) albiet still a penalty, so just tough it out for 6 months I guess.

Right now my product settings anaylsis reads (with respect to gimmicks)

Will not like highly risky gimmicks

Will attract fans who will like their gimmicks to be simple

Will not get subtle gimmicks

The other issue is that for example, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash are both using the exact same gimmick in my game. One is being penalized for a poor gimmick (Nash at C+) and Hall is getting credit for a good gimmick (at B).

Aim for a subtlety of around 20-30 in products like that. Subtlety below that tends to cap at 66 no matter what product you have for some reason. IIRC a lot of gimmicks in that scenario have 0 subtlety so you may need to clone them and change them

Woah, woah, everyone, hold on here. A lot of you are giving general advice, when we need to need specifics.

First thing's first.

Promotion Product

1. Does the product require gimmicks?

2. Does the product dislike gimmicks?

3. Deos the product care about gimmicks?

4. Does the product require gimmicks be simple?

5. Does the prduct dislike having subtle gimmicks?

5. Does the product require gimmicks not be one-dimensional?

6. Does the product requier gimmicks to be subtle and/or complex?

7. Does the product dislike risky gimmicks?

Please list all your product setting as well.

Gimmick itself

1. What is the Gimmick?

2. What is the Gimmick Basis?

3. What is the Face Gimmick Rating?

4. What is the Heel Gimmick Rating?

5. What is the Risk Rating?

6. What is the Subtlety Rating?

7. Is there Age Limit? If So, what is it?

8. Is there a Gender Limit?

9. Is there a Minimum weight Limit?

10. Is there a Maximum weight Limit?

11. Are there any minimum or maximum skill requirements?

a. Aerial?

b. Technical?

c. Power?

d. Athletic?

e. Psychology?

f. Selling?

g. Charisma?

h. Microphone?

i. Menace?

j. Sex Appeal?

k. Acting?

l. Intensity?

Worker:

Please list all Performance and Skill ratings.

Amputator's form looks promising I may have to use it when I inevitably run into trouble with gimmicks.

I say I will inevitably run into problems with gimmicks because I don't understand many aspects of them. At all.

So for example what's the difference between

requires gimmicks not be one-dimensional...

and

requires gimmicks to be subtle and/or complex...

and the thing I understand the least is:

Won't be keen on gimmicks.

Does that note refer only to gimmicky gimmicks?

I'm 99% sure that pure, realism, modern and cult have an impact on the C+ 'cap', depending on the levels of each. basically, for it not to exist at all these product settings must be set to none.

This is true.

And ampulator's questionnaire would be great if gimmick ratings were static or uniformly rated. They're not. There's a pretty large degree of randomness involved with every gimmick debut. It also doesn't take into account the 'critical hit/critical miss' feature.

In the end, it doesn't matter what your product is, it doesn't matter what the gimmick is or what the worker's skills are. Gimmick ratings will always be a roll of the dice. Sure, you might be able to weight that dice roll to an extent but in the end, it's still a dice roll.

This is true.

And ampulator's questionnaire would be great if gimmick ratings were static or uniformly rated. They're not. There's a pretty large degree of randomness involved with every gimmick debut. It also doesn't take into account the 'critical hit/critical miss' feature.

In the end, it doesn't matter what your product is, it doesn't matter what the gimmick is or what the worker's skills are. Gimmick ratings will always be a roll of the dice. Sure, you might be able to weight that dice roll to an extent but in the end, it's still a dice roll.

While you are correct, I generally find that, in products with Realism, Pure, and Hyper-Realism, most gimmicks, at best, tend to cap at 66 or a C+. There are notable exceptions, of course. But that's the general tendency.

I don't find it as much of a case for Modern, though. There's many other factors, as you said, but my goal is simply to rate at least a B- in gimmicks. Have a poor gimmick is a pain to deal with in products that require gimmicks.

I find gimmicks not so important in promotions that have a face/heel divide and/or want gimmicks. It's an obvious point, but that needs to be clearly stated.

While you are correct, I generally find that, in products with Realism, Pure, and Hyper-Realism, most gimmicks, at best, tend to cap at 66 or a C+. There are notable exceptions, of course. But that's the general tendency.

I don't find it as much of a case for Modern, though. There's many other factors, as you said, but my goal is simply to rate at least a B- in gimmicks. Have a poor gimmick is a pain to deal with in products that require gimmicks.

I can tell you that unequivocally, as a person whose preferred product always has Modern as a Key Feature (along with what might be considered balancing features in Traditional and Mainstream) and with few exceptions, my gimmicks rate out at 66. I never have Realism, Pure, or Hyper-Realism in any amount and this is what always happens. In fact, if I get a gimmick that rates in the 90s or lower than 66, it's guaranteed that it was a critical hit or critical miss (respectively). Here's the product in question:

Key Feature: Modern, Traditional, Mainstream

Medium: Lucha Libre, Daredevil

everything else is 'none'

I didn't consider gimmicks when I put the product together, primarily because of the option to turn gimmick effects off. I wanted the lowest possible match intensity & danger I could get without sacrificing the product (which is why I ditched Realism). You can turn injuries off but you can't turn off wear & tear, which was my primary concern.

I see what you were trying to do but none of those questions can account for the often large random factor. You can have everything matched up perfectly, but if you roll snake eyes, it's not going to count for much.

I can tell you that unequivocally, as a person whose preferred product always has Modern as a Key Feature (along with what might be considered balancing features in Traditional and Mainstream) and with few exceptions, my gimmicks rate out at 66. I never have Realism, Pure, or Hyper-Realism in any amount and this is what always happens. In fact, if I get a gimmick that rates in the 90s or lower than 66, it's guaranteed that it was a critical hit or critical miss (respectively). Here's the product in question:

Key Feature: Modern, Traditional, Mainstream

Medium: Lucha Libre, Daredevil

everything else is 'none'

I didn't consider gimmicks when I put the product together, primarily because of the option to turn gimmick effects off. I wanted the lowest possible match intensity & danger I could get without sacrificing the product (which is why I ditched Realism). You can turn injuries off but you can't turn off wear & tear, which was my primary concern.

I see what you were trying to do but none of those questions can account for the often large random factor. You can have everything matched up perfectly, but if you roll snake eyes, it's not going to count for much.

I see. I haven't tried it much myself, so I'll take your word for it now, until I have time to find out myself.

As a side note, I generally avoid putting more than one Key Feature together in a product. I find there can be... possible clashes of interests.

Archived