Boxing Sim

Career mode is coming, it's still in the design phase so I wouldn't expect before Xmas '05. [QUOTE]Ive played that, dont like it, was hoping for a boxing game more novice User friendly[/QUOTE] Oneida, I haven't heard anyone make that complaint before so I would be interested in what you found difficult to understand. Mark

Guest IrishHand
Without a career mode of some sort (it boggles the mind it wasn't included in the initial release), that game has very limited replayability except for the boxing purist.

IrishHand, I understand that the career mode would have brought in more sales. But you have to understand that the game has been around in one form or another since 1979, so it has an existing loyal base of fans that don't care about that. I don't know if you have tried the game, but I am not a boxing purist and I found it, and continue to find it, one of the best games I've ever played. The game does have some basic aging routines in to simulate different stages of boxer's careers, so a continuous universe (with aging and title fights etc.) is possible it just requires a bit of manual maintenance. Check out the OOTP Inside the Ropes forum to see the sort of things people have done with the game. Also check some of the links that are on the fan site [URL=http://www.cornerwork.com]Cornerwork[/URL] particularly the What If Championship Boxing and When They Were Kings sites. It is a very accurate simulation and VERY entertaining. Mark

Gunsmoke hit the nail on the head. I am not much of a boxing fan but I have found this game to be extremely entertaining. If you are a fan of sports sim games or even just sports history give this game a try. There is so much detail to it and I have found with my 1940's career it is quite addictive. As for career mode, there is enough flexibility that you can do what you like and make and track your own careers with very little prep work.

Guest IrishHand
Yes, I own the game - I own pretty well every sports sim that's come out in the last half-dozen years that I'm aware of. :) I agree that Title Bout is surely a very accurate boxing simulation - my problems were never with it's accuracy. My problems were with it's depth and playability. Yes, I can manually create a pseudo-career mode - but I have neither the time nor the inclination do to so. To be fair, I'm a fringe boxing fan at best...I enjoy it more for the sport and the competition. But from a basic gaming perspective..I bought the game, got the most current boxer database I could find, set up a universe with boxers only from a certain time period, and ultimately found the game very unsatisfying. *shrug* Like I said...the game is excellent at what it does, it just doesn't have enough to have much replayability for me. Irish

I haven't had time to play the latest version, but other than that I've played ever version of Title Bout going clear back to the Avalon Hill board game (if you could call it a board game) version. Easily one of the classiest and best sports sims ever designed. I'm old enough to have grown up when boxing was a major sport. (Still remember listening to the Liston-Clay fights on the radio with my Dad... and then waiting a week to see the fight on Wide World of Sports.) And with boxing have really gone down the toilet in recent years - and also having lost my passion for the "sport" after watching the Mancini-Kim fight - I find Title Bout to be way better than "real" boxing.

Archived