9/11 10th Anniversary

juggaloninjalee

You know, I never realized just how young everybody is on here. I was 22 when it happened and when I come on here and see people who were in Grade School when it happened...well you guys and girls make me feel very old.:(

It is weird how you remember certain events. For instance I remember 9/11 clearly as if it was yesterday.

I remember the bombing of the Pan Am flight over Lockerbie in 1988 (my father was making pancakes for my sister and I).

I remember what I was doing when the Challenger exploded, I was in 2nd grade and I was coming back from the Boys Room and I saw my gym teacher watching it on television in the hallway and he was crying. And this guy was tough so I think that might have been why that always stuck in my head.

It is just odd how certain things become ingrained in your memory. My mother would often talk about what she was doing when President Kennedy was shot and she can still remember what she was doing till this day. For us I guess this was our "Kennedy like national tragedy."

I remember the Challenger disaster. I must have been in Kindergarten at that time, because I was at home, eating (I think) some Chef Boyardee something or other while my grandmother was watching it on the TV.

There was a magazine commemorating the Challenger that we had, and I can remember that magazine very clearly. People, I think? One of those.

Think September 11th was our Kennedy moment for sure though.

:(

10 years ago I was six years old. I remember just playing with some toys in the living room when suddenly some "breaking news" stuff came in English to the television. Oh the annoyment when all the channels were just showing stupid news and nothing fun. Was so young that I didn't understand anything from a plane hitting a tower. Just wanted to watch something more fun than that :p

Funnily enough, I was like that when Princess Diana died, news came on when I was in the middle of watching cartoons. I wasn't impressed.

Gawd you all make me feel so old:(

I was getting off of work when it happened.A lady at my job came up and said you better turn on the radio. I just was numb listening to the news broadcast and then watching it all day when i got home. I remember passing by the airport and seen national guard troops all around m16's in hand and thinking wow is this America or another country iam in.

I also remember all the hate i had very similar to how alot of Americans felt towards Japanese people after attack on Pearl Harbor. I just at the time wanted us to nuke all of the middle east nations and just get rid of them.

It was a sad moment and time.

Everyone remembers where they were when this happened. It is a moment in history that will never be forgotten.

So where were you when this happened and what were you doing?

Also will you be doing anything in rememberance of this day on this years 9/11?

My oldest was born the night before. The midwife who delivered her had a place with no TV/radio/computer/etc. where she did her work. We didn't know anything about what happened until we left and drove over and walked into the nearby Wal-Mart that morning to pick up some last minute supplies before heading home. The store had a TV on a ceiling mounted stand that it would normally run ads on right in front of the entrance running the news with the towers burning. I thought at first that it was an ad for some movie but as I stood there, with my newborn daughter in her car seat in the cart, the reality of what I was seeing dawned on me.

I was working third shift at the time. I remember pulling into the drive way of my son's babysitter to drop him off. I was listening to the Bob and Tom show as they announced the first plane had hit. I remember thinking how crazy that was. I took my son in for day care. I then drove home. I decided to turn on CNN before I went to bed to see what the deal was. Literally 15 seconds after I turned the TV on the 2nd plane had hit.

Needless to say I didn't sleep that day. I stayed up watching the TV all day

I was living with my parents at the time (had just gone through a divorce) and my buddy called me asking if I was watching the news. Naturally I wasn't since it was 7:46am CST and I worked evenings, but after he told me what was going on I turned on the TV. My initial thought was that how could a pilot, even a novice one one of hit the twin towers. I remember going to work but it was a futile effort since no one wanted to be there and we weren't getting any calls.

You know, I never realized just how young everybody is on here. I was 22 when it happened and when I come on here and see people who were in Grade School when it happened...well you guys and girls make me feel very old.:(

It is weird how you remember certain events. For instance I remember 9/11 clearly as if it was yesterday.

I remember the bombing of the Pan Am flight over Lockerbie in 1988 (my father was making pancakes for my sister and I).

I remember what I was doing when the Challenger exploded, I was in 2nd grade and I was coming back from the Boys Room and I saw my gym teacher watching it on television in the hallway and he was crying. And this guy was tough so I think that might have been why that always stuck in my head.

It is just odd how certain things become ingrained in your memory. My mother would often talk about what she was doing when President Kennedy was shot and she can still remember what she was doing till this day. For us I guess this was our "Kennedy like national tragedy."

This thread has made me feel very old too. I had just gotten up and was getting ready to go to work when I turned on the TV to check the traffic, just in time to see the second tower get hit. I called in sick that day...hadn't missed a day before or since. It got personal for me when the plane hit the Pentagon, as I have a family member who works there. Luckily he wasn't in the building at the time.

MSNBC was re-airing their uneditted coverage of the attacks earlier and it's amazing how, 10 years later, all the feelings of that morning come rushing back. It still takes my breath away when the second plane hits, and when each tower collapses. This is definitely our generation's Kennedy Assassination. My grandparents always talked about Pearl Harbor, my parents had Kennedy, and I'll be telling my kids and grandkids about 9/11.

14 years old. I was in some information technology class when mr. **** head flipped on the TV and everyone was just like... :eek::confused: :confused: The whole situation was eerie. I think the part that stuck in my head was seeing office workers having to jump to their death out of the burning building. Terrible.

14 years old. I was in some information technology class when mr. **** head flipped on the TV and everyone was just like... :eek::confused: :confused: The whole situation was eerie. I think the part that stuck in my head was seeing office workers having to jump to their death out of the burning building. Terrible.

I have to say there are very few things that disturb me when I see them or think about them. However, seeing the people jumping to their deaths was one of them. In fact, I think I would put that right up there with seeing video of Thich Quang Duc, the Vietnamese Monk, setting himself on fire as two of the most spine chilling things I have ever watched.

IMO, I believe 9/11 is way worst then the Kennedy assasination (& JFK is my favourite president, even though I am Canadian & wasn't alive). The Kennedy assaniation it affected the states a lot, but other countries a not as much. However 9/11 affects ever single country & every single future person, as air travel will never be the same.

I stayed home from high school sick that day, and I remember crying while watching the news. I know that I"m a man, and therefore supposed to be too manly to cry, but this was too horrible and sad to not cry over.

Men can cry, otherwise we'll explode!

I remember crying over it... at one point all of the "Missing" posters just got to me and I sat down on a low brick wall and just gave a good cry for the families of those who would never see their loved ones again just because they went to work that day.

To the credit of the city, it had an amazing energy in the weeks after 9/11. We were all in it together. A stranger came over almost immediately and asked if I was ok, sat down next to me and we had a great conversation about the best way to make God laugh: tell him your plans for tomorrow!

PS - with all you old timers, I was in 6th grade for the Challenger. :o

@purple, that makes you Bout 30??

Also today has been a blur thanks to going out last night. Leaving the place about 2ish we celebrated a bit. The *band* (very horrible, but got better with each drink) had the crowd going with some excitement about today.

Anyway it's a sad, yet wonderful day for us. The lost lives suck, but the longer we keep our head up the more we prove they didn't win.

This isn't just for the US. This effected most of the world. Terrorists don't just focus on the US.

Archived