Mega-mod

I have no idea if anyone else would be interested in this... but the curiosity has just been killing my cat and so I finally completed a successful trial run of a pstats file that has 192 teams (in 16 12-team conferences). It took an hour-and-a-half to run through but it made it all the way around to another offseason, and the only weird thing of note was Notre Dame playing 17 games (i'm guessing because i placed them in a conference and they have a number of games scheduled through the SchedMatch table which i didn't modify)

so i'm not ready to post anything just yet because as i said i just tested it, I wanted to see just what "she" (the game) could handle... and the answer is that 192 < x < 242 because it crashed when i tried to combine all the FCS and FBS teams together. my plan is to select the 72 most-deserving FCS teams and add them in, and then have conferences that are somewhat regional but also prestige-based. stay tuned...

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Wow !!!</p><p> </p><p>

That is some big headache !! working out what team goes into what conference !!!</p><p> </p><p>

I did try to create 132 team and ran it ok without hitch.... unfortunately my pc packed out so had to get new pc... with the pstats in the old pc !!! </p><p> </p><p>

wondering how to retrieve it without running into some problem.</p><p> </p><p>

Oh well, good job I wrote some down in parts so I could put into new pc.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry for no updates in a long, long time, I am a HS teacher, basketball coach, and proud new father as of last August.

BUT if anyone is still out there seeing this I feel that I have sufficiently testing the limits of this great game and I am getting ready to stop setting up and actually start playing the game :o

I found that 200 teams is pretty much the limit but you have to simulate the scheduling weeks in training camp or else you get RTE 91. However twice now I have gone through cleanly at 198. With smaller numbers of teams you can use SchedMatch to get each team playing 12 games, but trust me, that is a giant headache in and of itself (you need some sort of system and a good working knowledge of spreadsheets). I think there is an error if SchedMatch gets too big, but I can confirm that I did this with 240 non-conference games scheduled when I played several seasons with 120 teams. So, I have 198 teams and will live with each team having 11 games, but this way the scheduling AI built into the game will work itself out.

So, I have the following promotion/relegation system ready to go:

4 levels of conferences: the 6 "power" conferences (A), the "next 4" (B), 2 transitional conferences © and 4 bottom conferences (D). Conferences in levels A, B, & C are 12 teams each (in 2 divisions) and all get automatic playoff bids. The 6 "D" conferences get no automatic tournament bids and have 9 teams each, so every team throughout the universe plays 8 conference games (I think this helps with the scheduling). This means there are 4 at-large tournament bids for the power conference runners-up to fight over, which I have found to be a nice safety net to catch any teams that go 11-0 but lose their conference championship. And yes I have playoffs plus 40 bowls set up for the non-playoff teams... I think it's 7 bids for each A conference, 3 for each B & C conference, and 2 bids for each D conference, and then one "wild-card" bowl with no affiliation in Boise because, well, I got sleepy last night.

Promotion/relegation will happen in two-year cycles. Basically, I'm planning on:

Any team in the bottom 8 conferences that wins a conference championship over the two years will be promoted one conference level at the end of the two-year cycle. Any team that does not earn at least 4 conference wins over the two-year cycle will be relegated one conference level. Also, since there will be more teams getting promotions from the bottom level (anywhere between 6-12 teams), as many teams as needed from the "C-Level" or transitional conferences will be relegated in order of their conference records. Finally, to raise the stakes, any team looking to move from a B to an A conference will need to have 2 postseason wins (including a conference championship) in the two-year cycle. Tiebreakers in any situation will be postseason wins, postseason appearances, head-to-head, and finally overall records (or if you really want to sit and figure it out, records against common opponents would be a good tie-breaker as well). Sadly, (as you've probably guessed by now) you will need to do this all yourself in the stats.dat file right before advancing to the 3rd (or 5th, or 7th, etc.) season. It's really not that hard though, and I'll attach a spreadsheet file to help you cut and paste and slide teams around.

A couple final notes:

*The prestige values will seem off (way off) in some cases because I used the prestige values left off from my previous game. The FCS teams I determined using overall history, recent 10-year history, and way way way too much time on my hands this past weekend. Seriously. I spent way too much time deciding if Idaho State was a 10 or an 11.

*Lest I forget, MAJOR credit goes to (I believe) Icy for his work on the original Real-Life mod and Kennywanchiazote (sp?) for his FCS Mod which I pulled all the info from (in both pstats and psetup). I did, however, change quite a few team abbreviations, so the logos may not show up correctly (sorry).

*This is easily the biggest mod project I have ever undertaken for any game... thanks to Arlie for creating a game that withstands the test of time, thanks to real-life college football for having a screwed-up BCS system that served as my motivation to create an alternate reality, and finally thanks to YOU if you decide to play with this and let me know how it works for you. Enjoy? I know I will :)

Zeke's MegaMod.zip

OK, now I am getting RTE 5 at the end of my first week. I don't know what's going on because when I "test" the game by just advancing the weeks everything is fine... but in the dynasty I started with the Montana Grizzlies, after spending AT LEAST an hour setting the depth chart, determining redshirts, etc. etc., i was able to get all the way through my week one game but then I get the RTE 5 "invalid procedure call or argument" when it is "ranking teams" as it goes into week 2. Very frustrating because this happened both when I played out the entire game in play-by-play mode and simulated it, and it happened with both my current save and the backup that i saved in the camp stage.

So, ddsharpyo (or anyone else trying to use this), are things that you are or aren't doing as the game works for you? can you give me a brief rundown of "how you play" with any items that you skip/delegate? i'm sure at some point in the next couple days i'll try it again, but man it is frustrating spending all that time getting to know your team, just to see it go to waste because i can't avoid the RTE!!!

• 4 weeks later...
hey sorry for the delay, I'm still getting rte's which made me just switch the mode i was using, i noticed when I ran as admin i was able to progress farther, but it seems whenever there is something to do with the polls I get an RTE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest daviskessler

Any luck?

Was anyone ever able to get this mod to work? I love the concept of the mod. However, I've run into issues when using it. Curiously, everything will work fine so long as I do not load a save file. I've simmed out a number of years without any issue. But as soon as I load the game from a save file, the game runs into issues. I get a RTE 91 if I access the scheduling window. And if I don't access scheduling (so as to just let the computer do the scheduling), I get a RTE 5 at the end of week 1. Note, this does not have to do with promotion/relegation issues...haven't even got to the stage of trying that yet! Anybody have any idea why loading the save file corrupts the game?

• 3 weeks later...

I have modified the big conferences (SEC, ACC, PAC-12 etc) and it is working.

I have simmed seasons, saving and loading with no problems.

It would take some time to pick up all the school moves, so maybe I will do that but the big schools are pretty much covered.

If interested I can post the pstats.dat file that is updated and the logo file from Icy's mod back for download.

Archived