Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is where you should post any problems or errors you encounter with the game.

If you are using a modern version of Windows (such as Vista or Windows 7), please make sure that you are running the game in administrator mode. If you aren't you will get crashes as the game will not have permission to access files which will therefore prevent it from working correctly. It will also cause files and folders to disappear and generally misbehave. Please note that just because you are the owner of the computer, the sole owner, or your account is set to admin does NOT mean you are automatically running the game in admin mode - you MUST right click on the game's icon and specifically choose to run under admin mode. If you are playing via a Shortcut, you do this via Properties -> Advanced -> Admin mode (tick).

"I posted a thread and now it has gone..."

Threads are deleted once the issue has been resolved and patched.

"My post has been closed..."

Threads are closed once they have been fixed (the fix itself may not appear until the following patch.)

"I am having problems with my e-license AKA I have lost my license \ I had a hard disk crash \ I did a system restore \ I am being told my license is not valid \ I am being told my license is in use..."

Please see the ELicense F.A.Q at the bottom of this post.

"The game won't load, I get a message saying it has encountered a problem..."

The latest version of Zone Alarm's anti-spyware toolbar (as of July 16th 2010) blocks ELicense from working, you need to uninstall the Toolbar (you may need to open Task Manager and shut down the process too - the file that needs to be closed is ISWSVC.exe). Also, the Comodo firewall must be removed (not just disabled) as it does not allow any ELicense products to work (as of December 2010).

"I cannot find my database \ files on my computer..."

The default path is C:\CBH. If the folder is not appearing, you have either installed it somewhere else (in which case, search for "CBH.exe") or you are not in administrator mode (see top of this post).

When I try to load the game I get: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate application.

Disable your DEP (Data Execution Prevention):

1. Right-click on "My Computer"

2. Select "Properties"

3. Click on the "Advanced" Tab.

4. Click on the Performance "Settings" Button

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" Tab

6. Select the "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"

"When I try to load the game I get the hour glass, but it only lasts a few seconds and nothing happens..."

See this thread

"I can only see part of the screen \ the screen looks weird \ the icons in the taskbar are not lining up properly..."

Right click on your Desktop -> Properties -> Settings, and alter your screen resolution to a bigger one if you can't see all the game. Alternatively, if that doesn't work, go to the same Settings menu, but click Advanced. You will see a place to set your DPI, make sure it is 96. (If you are under Windows 7, please see this article for details on how to change your DPI settings.) If that does not work, please make sure that your text size is not set to be greater than 100%.

"I am getting Runtime Error 75 at random points..."

Firstly, please read the bolded paragraph at the top of this post; not running the game in administrator mode is the #1 reason for this error.

I got install error "File size expected=24706418, size returned=256598"

This means you did not download the full file, you only got part of it. This is normally because your connection cut out before your computer could finish.

"I am being told "Application has failed to start because ???.dll was not found..."

Using this link, search for and download the file in question and place it in your Windows \ System folder or Windows \ System32 folder. If this does not work, try putting the file in the WMMA3 folder.

Does the game run on 64-bit operating systems?

Yes, it does.

"I can't assign any pictures to my workers despite being able to see the correct files in the list..."

If you have more than 32,000 pictures in a single folder, the game cannot handle them as this is bigger than the maximum folder size allowed. You must reduce the number.

"I am getting an error message saying that CBH has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

Check that you have a file called MSVBVM60.DLL on your machine. If not, you are missing a critical file and need to install it.

E-License: Frequently Asked Questions

The Basics

ELicense is the software that protects the game from piracy. When you purchase the game you are given a license code; this unlocks the game and allows you to play it. You should keep these details safe and never give them out to anybody (other than Grey Dog's Scott Vibert if it is necessary for technical support).

Please note that:

1 - You get one license per purchase

2 - Each license can be used on multiple machines but can only be active on one PC at a time

3 - The license is a separate item to the game; uninstalling the game does NOT remove the license, that can only be done through unlicensing.

"How do I move my license from one computer to another?"

You must first unlicense the game from the original computer (see next question), then you simply run CBH on the new computer and give your license code when prompted.

"How do I unlicense the game?"

To unlicense, go to Window's Control Panel, and into the ELicense folder (if you are using Vista you may have to switch to "classic view" in order to see the folder). Highlight the CBH license, and click Unlicense. Make sure you are connected to the Internet before doing this so that your license will be correctly returned to the servers.

If you cannot access the ELicense folder, you can use the command prompt method to unlicense it. Go to your Windows Start menu and select Run. Then type "cmd" (without the quotation marks) and press enter. You will see a command prompt. Type

Code:

"C:\CBH\CBH.exe" -unlicense

This will unlicense the game.

"I am being told that my license cannot be activated as it is already in use?"

This means that your license is still active on another computer. The most common cause of this is that the license was automatically installed on the computer where you purchased the game. You need to unlicense it before continuing.

"I had a hard disk crash \ my computer got wiped, what happens to my license?"

Your license has been "locked" onto that machine. You will need to contact Scott (address at the bottom of this FAQ) to have it unlocked.

"How do I license the game on a computer with no Internet access?"

You can license it on a computer without internet access using a text based license. Install the game on the computer without internet access, when you go to license the game it will give you an option for offline licensing. Follow the on screen instructions, of course you will need a computer with internet access to go through the procedure, however you won't need internet access on your laptop.

"I have read through the FAQ and have not been able to solve my issue."

All licensing issues are handled by Grey Dog Software's Scott Vibert (Scott@greydogsoftware.com). Please contact him by e-mail or private message, giving him details of your problem.