Any hope for one last patch...allow us to create coach's age/experience?

There is really only one item that is really holding me back from finally purchasing this game is the fact the coach that gets created automatically gets an age and experience level assigned. In most of my demo games, the coach is always over 50 years old and has 20+ years experience. I would love for two fields to be added to the coach's create screen that allows the user the ability to input the starting age and experience level. I would much prefer to start as a young inexperienced coach versus someone at the end of the line. Again, this is the main thing preventing me from purchasing.

As a side note. Is the age and experience level just cosmetic in the game or does it have an impact on something? If just cosmetic, maybe I can overlook that but if it has some impact, then probably not:(

Hoping someone can provide some guidance. Thanks!

Being as the game is old, I wouldn't expect a patch to fix that issue.

It is purely cosmetic however as there is no "forced" end to your career. You to can be Joe Paterno (minus the stupid Defensive Coordinator) and coach as long as you want.

The game is viable as a solo based game but there are still leagues out there for an online environment with other human owners which adds to the fun and challenge if you are looking at that as an option as well.

Being as the game is old, I wouldn't expect a patch to fix that issue.

It is purely cosmetic however as there is no "forced" end to your career. You to can be Joe Paterno (minus the stupid Defensive Coordinator) and coach as long as you want.

The game is viable as a solo based game but there are still leagues out there for an online environment with other human owners which adds to the fun and challenge.

Thank you for the quick response and that seems reasonable from a coach's age perspective. How about their coaching experience? Is that purely cosmetic too? Seems like that would be attached to somehow giving the coach a boost if he was more experienced. Hope I am wrong and then maybe I can actually purchase now:)

I would get the free demo and check that out to get firsthand knowledge for your concerns and see if it works for you.

That said, in the offseason you have:

1. In depth recruiting with a decent computer AI (against human owners in a MP league, it is much more difficult).

2. You purchase one of three available scouting resources for your region. The better the resource you buy, the better the scouting information you get which can lead to better players.

3. You can either use a computer AI suggested game plan or you can design and tweak your own gameplan. This can be adjusted from season to season or even game to game. You can see this (I believe) in the demo.

So, coaching experience is mostly cosmetic. I believe that there is a coaches "prestige" rating which ties in to your teams prestige rating. If a player (recruit) has Head Coach as his main recruiting motive to attend a particular school then a higher HC prestige would possible land that player even over a bigger school. No guarantees though, that's why I say it's mostly cosmetic. It can come into play but it's a very small percentage and just one of seven or eight "interest points" a potential recruit may have.

Mostly the game is about recruiting, gameplanning, and building your program to get a bigger budget to buy the best coaches, recruiting services that you can. Then gameplanning can play a huge role and this ranges from about 10 seconds (hitting the computer AI suggest button) to hours and hours designing a gameplan and then tweaking it week to week. You can make that as in depth as you want it to be and however you get the most enjoyment out of it.

Thanks....I do have the demo and for the most part looks good. I did not see the prestige of the coach but I can see how that works based on your explaination. I still think in the end it would have been a better design decision to allow the player to modify these settings, but maybe not a huge impact right now.

The only other thing that has caught my eye as a potential concern is some of the game planning. My team's philosphy was smash mouth and I set my game plan to inside run on multiple games. However, my QB still passed between 30-40 times per game. In most of the games I was always leading and the 1-2 games I was trailing for a portion, I was just down by a few points. I would have thought the QB would have thrown a lot less under these circumstances.

A lot of the ratings are hidden. Coaches Prestige is one of these. This makes it a bit more "guess work" when you are doing things in the game.

As for gameplanning...it's far from perfect on playcalling. One thing we've discovered over the years is that your assistant coaches ratings play a factor in how well the AI ties to your actual gameplan. If you have an Assistant with poor ratings, basically he's so stupid he just calls whatever he wants. LOL.

An all blue rated Assistant you should see something real close to your gameplan. But again, it's far from perfect and will never be 100%. Which, I think, mimics a real game. Sometimes your gameplan goes out the window after the first series depending on what happens.

A lot of the ratings are hidden. Coaches Prestige is one of these. This makes it a bit more "guess work" when you are doing things in the game.

As for gameplanning...it's far from perfect on playcalling. One thing we've discovered over the years is that your assistant coaches ratings play a factor in how well the AI ties to your actual gameplan. If you have an Assistant with poor ratings, basically he's so stupid he just calls whatever he wants. LOL.

An all blue rated Assistant you should see something real close to your gameplan. But again, it's far from perfect and will never be 100%. Which, I think, mimics a real game. Sometimes your gameplan goes out the window after the first series depending on what happens.

Good points...I didn't consider the assistants....demo ends too early before I can highe rmy own to see if makes a difference:)

BTW, coach's prestige is actually shown on the staff screen....just found it.

Archived