Ironside: Man of Steel

Louis Michaels: Hello readers of Comic Book Central and welcome to Louis' corner. As usual, I'm Louis Michaels and I'm joined here by comic author Adrian Addison of Grey Dog Software Comics.

Adrian: Always a pleasure.

Louis: So you're best known for a mini series starring Modern Mad and Moving Target of The New Breed. Prior to that you had only worked as an assistant on the Xtinction solo series. How'd you get such a role?

Adrian: Well, Mr. Ryland was looking for some ideas fora couple of filler comics to release in the downtime following the Hell on Earth event. So I decided to write something involving a couple of characters that I felt an affinity for and Adam seemed to think my work was pretty good. He let me have head writing duties on the mini-series that would initially be non-canon depending on how it was accepted.

Louis: And it was accepted quite well. The plot about two teenagers taking it upon themselves to protect Hub Burough from the sort of villains that the major villains generally wouldn't fight.

Adrian: That's true and I was pretty proud of it. I was also quite partial of an original character that I created, a scientist called Jeremy Akermanis. He would partially exposit on the terror network, having been a double agent within their ranks.

Louis: And then he was killed by Terrorbot Slaughter after Terrorbyte discovered that he had stolen one of the Terrorbot designs and had fashioned his own robot.

Adrian: You kinda have to kill a guy after doing that. But while the New Breed and the Terror Network proceeded to brawl across the entire city, I decided to include a scene at the end of issue 5 where a thug breaks into the lab to steal some tech to sell on the black market. We ended the issue with and expression of horror on his face to kind of sell the point of what happened.

Louis: And then Ironside was born.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/Thrace-TW/K-0Z_jsilver.jpg

(all thanks to jsilver who created this awesome render K-0Z for the Infinity+ mod)

Adrian: I'd talked to Mr. Ryland about introducing a new hero that would be canonical and ran a few ideas and designs past him. He settled on Ironside, the terrorbot that Akermanis had created then downloaded his personality and memories into the robot before he died.

Louis: So Ironside flew off to get involved in the battle and destroyed Terrorbot Slaughter. The battle ends with the escape of the Terror Network while he gets left there by the two heroes who he had tried to help because he had still created his own Terrorbot for his own objectives.

Adrian: It was supposed to convey that Akermanis had been so cut off from the world and so selfish that he thought that by saving the day with a robot that he had stolen from a major villain then everything would not be okay since he was still using a weapon known for murdering heroes.

Louis: And this led to your own comic, Man of Steel where Akermanis sought out redemption for his selfishness by using Ironside to change the world.

Adrian: Indeed. It all started with.......

-----------------------------------

Man of Steel #1

The Eyes Have It

----------------------------

Plot Synopsis: The story begins with a prologue showing the origins of Jeremy Akermanis. A gifted robotocist, he was so caught up in his own world that he drove away any friends or family he once had. He is recruited by Terrorbyte following a robotics demonstration and placed in charge of working on a new Terrorbot design. It flashes forward to dialogueless scenes of him stealing the Terrorbot design, creating Ironside and then his death.

It returns to the present where his internal scanner detects the presence of the Terroreyes. He sets off to fight them but suffers armor lock during the battle preventing him from acting. He is peppered by optic blasts from the tiny robots but his systems are soon online again and he drives them off without any effort. He picks up and crushes one of the damaged Terroreyes

and the issue ends in the sanctum of the Terror Network where Terrorbyte is watching a video feed from one of the robots. He mutters Akermanis' name under his breath and hurls his glass at the screen. The final panel is of the shattered screen with Ironside crushing the Terrorbot.

--------Notes--------------------

*The solo series begins on a strong note with sales over 25% of what was initially forecast.

*Terrorbyte and the Terroreyes are introduced in this issue.

(I've aimed for something more along the lines of what Clarity has created in his great Alpha-1: Thoughts Into Reality dynasty. I'll only have the interviews for the conclusion or beginning of a new arc or if a created character turns up)

-------------------------

Man of Steel #2

Ghost in the Machine

Ghost in the Machine is a three issue story arc of Man of Steel where protagonist Ironside is taking his first steps towards redemption by stopping those that prey on the weak.

Plot Synopsis: Ironside travels to Ravenholme which has spiraled into anarchy following the events of Hell on Earth and is yet to right itself. On arrival, he encounters the Instrument of Rage who was lying in wait to attack Sienna Scarlet. Ironside is able to capture IOR and hand him over to the authorities. He is treated with suspicion and the police make open threats towards him before he flees into the night.

As the issue ends, we see Midnight Fox attacked and killed by The Crippling Fear and Hisshi while she was helping Combat Wombat to escape.

-Notes-

*Sales had risen to 45% following the second issue.

*This issue marked the first appearance in the series for The Crippling Fear, Instrument of Rage and Hisshi. Midnight Fox and Ironside had previously appeared together in issue 6# of the Young Blood miniseries.

Louis: Now for the readers that are not aware of the Hell on Earth special event, why don't you fill them in?

Adrian: Ah yes, one of the big old crossover events. It's really quite simple; through a spell cast by The Red Mage, The Blue Wraith was corrupted by dark magics and possessed Danielle Rune. The possessed Rune tapped into the power of the Hell Gate and opened the rift enough so that the Demonic Council could return to this realm.

Louis: And then Anarchy erupted everywhere. Was this written as a demonic taint or just a natural reaction to a number of powerful demons coming to earth?

Adrian: A little of both actually, so everything goes completley to **** with Pruflas the Demonic injuring half of the New Breed before being driven off by Bolt Lightning, Johnny Orbit and Cosmic Girl. Meanwhile, The King of Pain is just manipulating everyone in Ravenholme to essentially go to war with another.

Louis: The final issue of the saga was quite impressive with some unlikely faces working together. Forgive me if I forget anyone but Michael Modred, Danielle Rune, Merlin Emrys and... who else was it that helped save the day?

Adrian: Geist was the last one. Initially Adam was quite opposed to Geist being involved since it would have gone completely against the character of Geist and Merlin working together since they have feuded on and off since Geists debut.

Louis: So this motley crew seal away Belial before they are attacked by Pruflas and Valac who have decided that Belials defeat shouldn't mean that they have lost.

Adrian: Of course, that doesn't last long as Merlin and Geist are able to open a dimensional rift and Captian Awesome, Johnny Orbit and Mr Infinity are able to force the two through but not before Pruflas drags Infinity through the portal with him.

Louis: So why Modred? He is not exactly someone known for being friendly with any sort of hero.

Adrian: Modred helped them because he would not have a world to rule if the Demonic Council weren't stopped.

Louis: Ah of course. Now where were we?

-------------------------------

Man of Steel #3

Ghost in the Machine #2 of 3

Plot Synopsis:

As the Ravenholme Resistance hunts down Midnight Foxes murderers, Ironhide takes it upon himself to systematically track down and crush the various gangs and gang leaders of Ravenholme. While incapacitating the entire Demolishers gang, Ironhide is able to beat some information out of them about the Ferrari family.

-Notes-

*Issue sales were up to 55% before an underwhelming appearance in the pages of the Ravenholme Resistance saw Ironside look foolish and dropped issue sales back to 45%.

*This issue marked the first appearance of any of the gangs of Ravenholme.

Man of Steel #4

Ghost in the Machine Issue 3 of 3 -Special Extended Issue-

Plot Synopsis: Ironside is continuing his search for criminals and overhears on a built-in listening system that Big Kev is planning a job on behalf of an unknown boss. As Ironside confronts Big Kev, he starts to malfunction from an unknown magical field and is barely able to beat Kev. being unable to discover the source of this magic, he is forced to hunt down Little Rudy.

During the course of the battle with Little Rudy, it is revealed that Ironside had stolen the robot to sell to Lou Ferrari so that Ferrari could gain the power amongst the various crime lords of Ravenholme.

-Notes-

* While Ironside did win both his battles, he still was unable to bring either of the villains to justice. The sales reflected this as they only jumped to 55%

* This was the first occurance of the overarching theme of magic versus technology and established a major weakness of Ironhide in his inability to defend against magic.

* This was also the first major reveal of Ironhides life as a human and established how greedy and petty he was at times.

Louis: And that was the conclusion of the Ghost in the Machine arc. It established how Ironhide had grown to regret his actions but was not a heroic character just because he was on the side of justice.

Adrian: Ironhide was shown to regret his actions but the scene at the end of the Moving Target/ Modern Mad miniseries still held true because he expected to be treated like a just because he saved some people.

Louis: Killing Midnight Fox was hell of a strong scene to include in the first issue in what seemed initially to be a throwaway scene. But the Crippling Fear would eventually become a major threat over the series, even as just a looming figure roaming around the Infinity Verse.

Adrian: We'd proceed to have a few filler issues to branch over to Welcome Home which was concerning Ironhides return to Hub Burough.

Louis: And then the relationship that would truly change the character for the better and to allow him to become a better man.

Adrian: Of course, but first we have over things to talk about

Man of Steel #5

A Knife in the Dark

-----------------------

Plot Synopsis: As a series of murders are reported in Ravenholme over the course of a fortnight, Ironhide finds himself hunting down those responsible. While on patrol, he discovers big Kev carrying an unknown woman into a dark alley who Ironhide follows. Thanks to this, he is able to discover Fright Nurse about to murder the woman.

He defeats the both of them but the victim is seriously injured through the course of the battles and he is forced to let them escape while rushing her to hospital.

-Notes-

* Sales rose to 60% above their initial target.

* This issue was the series debut of Fright Nurse who would become a recurring villian.

* This issue also marked the Infinity Verse debut of Elizabeth Buchanon who was the victim of the attack. She would later become an on again-off again supporting character for Ironhide.

Man of Steel #6

Alone I Break

-----------------------

Plot Synopsis: Following on from the events of Issue #5, Alone I Break finds Ironside prevented from entering the hospital through suspicion that he had caused Elizabeths injuries. He flees from the hospital, unaware that he is being watched from the shadows by a hulking figure. Coming to a secluded area, Ironside is struck from behind and sent sprawling.

The hulking figure is revealed to be Primal Rage who begins brawling with Ironside. During the course of the fight, Primal Rage reveals that Lou Ferrari had hired him to tear the core from Ironside and deliver the husk to Ferrari as proof that Ironside was destroyed.

While going for the killing blow, Ironside stuns Primal Rage with a sonic grenade and unleashes a powerful energy blast that sends him flying and crashing into a building. However, Primal Rage is able to escape from the rubble and flees into the night while Ironsides system goes into lockdown while it repairs itself.

Meanwhile, he is watched from the rooftops by Big Kev, who has returned to the streets after being put out of action for the second time by Ironhide. The issue ends with Big Kev swearing to personally destroy Ironhide and to hand over the armor to Narco to gain favor amongst his ranks.

-Notes-

* Sales have risen to over 100% following this issue and an appearance in the Ravenholme Resistance where he assisted in taking down Mannequin.

* This issue marked the series debut of Primal Rage.

Archived