Scouting Services

[QUOTE=Erich Ingram]Well Roger not sure if I agree with you that everyone always takes the best one. Some teams don't have the money to take the best one, or if they do take it still they are sacrificing another area of their team like academics or health.[/QUOTE] That makes no sense at all. Even if I were playing the worst team in the league I would get the best scouting service and cut something else. Why would you accept bad information about potential recruits? That is what you are doing if you skimp. I don’t think this feature is functional as currently written.

[QUOTE=Roger Kaputnik]That makes no sense at all. Even if I were playing the worst team in the league I would get the best scouting service and cut something else. Why would you accept bad information about potential recruits? That is what you are doing if you skimp. I don’t think this feature is functional as currently written.[/QUOTE] Well lets see if you skimp on your academics then you lose your players to suspensions. If you skimp on you doctors then you lose players to injuries. So lets see you are hurting your team somewhere, and the other two will hurt your team during the present season. Have you played with a team that is a mid major or a low rated team that doesn't have a lot of money to spend?

There are really two situations here: 1. You are a top team with $$$ to burn. In that case you take the best scouting service because you can afford to. 2. You are a lesser team and money is tight. In this case you are only getting one or two top prospects a year so it is vital that the information you get on all recruits is accurate. You take the best scouting service because you can't afford not to. Otherwise you are getting inaccurate info on recruits and you may miss out on that one or two top prospects. That would be fatal to an up and coming program. An example: I am UCONN. I know that most of my recruits are coming from the North East. I get the best recruiting service in that region. Now of course money is tight. I afford this by cutting my recruiting budget in the other regions. I can still max medical and academics if I do this right. Again, I see no scenario, big school or small, lots of $$ or not much, where I would ever take anything less than the best scouting service. Good information is key to recruiting. Without it you might as well just recruit players at random. What I am proposing is that the scouting services should be rated like coaches already are. Rather than saying one is absolutely better than another they should be rated on how well the scout each position. This is already being done for coaches so why not for scouting services? This would force you to decide on priorities more so that the current system.

If you insist on buying the best scouting service then money gets cut. maybe medical well then injuries and time out hurt goes up. maybe strength and conditioning they players endurance and durability suffers so starters play less. maybe academic tutors suffer so more players end up on probation. pay less salary to a coach and there ability to scout and develop goes down. college scouting spend less and get or not get information on your opponent. recruiting positions and recruiting regions spend less and the quality and quantity goes down.

[QUOTE=Tim Plum]If you insist on buying the best scouting service then money gets cut. maybe medical well then injuries and time out hurt goes up. maybe strength and conditioning they players endurance and durability suffers so starters play less. maybe academic tutors suffer so more players end up on probation. pay less salary to a coach and there ability to scout and develop goes down. college scouting spend less and get or not get information on your opponent. recruiting positions and recruiting regions spend less and the quality and quantity goes down.[/QUOTE] Why do you keep repeating this crap? I already told you that I don’t cut academics or medical.

I didn't repeat anything. I posted once. What about the other categories? The best way to grow a program is to recruit nationwide. If you schedule properly and pull off an upset or two you can get players interested in your school from all over the country. BTW- How has UCONN done under your strategy.

[QUOTE=Roger Kaputnik]Why do you keep repeating this crap? I already told you that I don’t cut academics or medical.[/QUOTE] You only get 1 or 2 recruits a year with Uconn? I've played with them before and have gotten about 15 or 16. Having played this game for a really really long time during beta I can tell you for sure that it DOES matter. There is no way to not make cuts and to use the best service...absolutely not...if you hire good coaches. I think this is the step you are missing Roger. Good coaches cost about 450-500k on offense and 400-450k on defense and 125k on scouting. If you do not hire good coaches, then you will lose year after year without your team getting any better. It is extremely important to get coaches that can develop players. Now add up how much those coaches would cost a below average prestige team-a little less than a million dollars. As a below average prestige school a million dollars in a ton of money to spend on coaches, but it is necessary if you want to continue making your team better.

[QUOTE=cody8200]You only get 1 or 2 recruits a year with Uconn? I've played with them before and have gotten about 15 or 16. Having played this game for a really really long time during beta I can tell you for sure that it DOES matter. There is no way to not make cuts and to use the best service...absolutely not...if you hire good coaches. I think this is the step you are missing Roger. Good coaches cost about 450-500k on offense and 400-450k on defense and 125k on scouting. If you do not hire good coaches, then you will lose year after year without your team getting any better. It is extremely important to get coaches that can develop players. Now add up how much those coaches would cost a below average prestige team-a little less than a million dollars. As a below average prestige school a million dollars in a ton of money to spend on coaches, but it is necessary if you want to continue making your team better.[/QUOTE]Exactly. And then there's the positional spending, which is key if you want to have any clue as to which player is better or worse.

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't care too much about financials. I let the computer decide it. But I have played both with poor services and very good services. I've had top ten recruitment classes with both. I'm more interested in the player's interest in my school than what the e-mail will say about them. With the very good ones, though, I will take their opinion into context.

Archived