My nitpick: The rankings

I am starting to chart the top 25 each week for my historical dynasty, and I'm noticing some things with the rankings that disturb me. Oklahoma dropped from #1 to #6 in the polls, despite drubbing South Florida 44-10. Michigan dropped from 4 to 5, despite beating #11 Notre Dame 34-3. Nebraska moved from 5 to 1 after beating Missouri 41-23, while Auburn moved up to #2 (from #7) after beating unranked Arkansas 26-9. The big mover was Texas A&M, who moved up to #3...from #17...after beating then-#16 K-State 20-18. Miami, ranked #9 the previous week, fell out of the poll altogether after losing to Va Tech 24-10 (Va Tech was ranked 25th). I know this is a very difficult area of the game to code...but there is no stability, which is one thing you find, at least somewhat, in the real polls. There *is* too much fluctuation, at the very least. No team jumps up fourteen spots after beating a team ranked one spot ahead of them by two. It just does not happen. I am writing this to see if it's my league that's messed up, or if this is something that may need looking at in the future. Thanks, John

If you read, I specifically stated that it is one of the toughest parts of the game to code. Arlie and I have had conversations on this. But it still seems a bit out of whack, even given those conversations. I have other things I have to do first, but I'm going to come back to this and research this more when I have time. -John

I played around with my own polling system for TCY, since theirs also exhibited unrealistic behavior. One thing i did was build in an "incumbency" factor, so that a team was unlikely to lose positions even if their rating fell. The closer a team was to the top, the stronger this effect was (very hard to dislodge a #1 team unless the #2 looked overwhelmingly better). Does BBCF use anything like that? On a similar topic, it would be kinda cute if the pointspread prediction was recorded in the boxscore or gamelog for future reference; as far as i can tell, that disappears forever once the game is played. This, of course, is the most miniscule of insignificant issues . . . .

This is something that definitely needs to be worked on and fixed. I'm playing a solo game with Michigan and I was the #1 ranked team to start the season. I proceeded to go 2-0 and then have a bye week. After the bye week I dropped down to #3 which makes no sense. Then week 4 I played #22 Michigan State (2-0) and beat them and after the win I dropped to #4 in the rankings. I should still be #1, there's no reason for me to have dropped at all.

[QUOTE=ThrowTheBall]rankings is probably one of the hardest parts of the game to code. [/QUOTE] This is true, and its because you are trying to follow the irrational logic of pollsters. There are several guys who have a seat on the polls who have said this year that as long as USC keeps winning, they should be ranked #1 regardless of how well they play, simply because they won the last two championships. Computer code only pays attention to this season, and doesn't weight a week 10 loss any heavier than a week 1 loss... unfortunately the real men who decide the final rankings do. That's my rant for the poll situation, I say the program is far more accurate than the AP.;)

I think the problem is here is trying to "fairly" rank teams. There is some weight given to current poll ranking, but that really doesn't become a factor until midseason. So, in weeks 3-6, you may see some movement based on margin of victory, SOS, and "big wins" (wins against the top 25). In week 4 in BBCF, you may see a team that blows out a nice team move from 4 to 2 - even if the teams at 2 and 3 had a BYE or won against lesser opponents. This probably wouldn't happen in real life as pollsters hate to penalize a team that hasn't lost (even though some would argue the preseason polls do exactly that). In the end, I will keep trying to tweak this. As of right now, I think the polls from midseason on are pretty solid - it's just some of the fluctuation in the early weeks that bothers some people. I am hesitant to put more emphasis on prior weeks early in the season as many of the ranked teams in week 1 are often shown to be overrated by midseason. So, I'd rather have the polls be "fair" in weeks 8 and 9 than remove the fluctuation early and end up carrying some undeserving teams in the top 25. Still, I'll see if I can find a way to tone down some of the early variance.

Archived