My Offensive Styles Suggestion

I will begin by saying I think this has been an excellent first build of the game. Outstanding really. However, I do have some suggestions for the offensive style for future versions of the game. First of all, having every offensive style use the same set of formations is inaccurate. An I-Formation for an Option team is not the same as it is for a balanced or pro-style team, yet in the game they must both choose from the same set of plays from that formation. So my suggestion is to give each different offensive style it's own set of formations, each having a set of plays more tailored to it's respective style. For example, The option style would have an I formation with option plays in it, where as the I formation in the balanced playbook would have little-no option plays in it. I also think there could be an even wider vareity of styles to choose from. Here is a list just off the top of my head that are in use in the college game today and a couple of examples of each. 1. Balanced Pro-Style (Tennessee, Texas) 2. Spread Offense (Memphis, East Carolina) 3. Smashmouth (Alabama, North Texas) 4. Option (Ohio U, Wake Forest) 5. Vertical Passing (South Carolina) 6. Flexbone Spread Option (Navy, Air Force) 7. Shotgun Spread Option (Florida, UNLV) 8. Power Spread Offense (West Virginia 9. One Back Offense (Washington State, UTEP) 10. West Coast (USC, Nebraska) 11. Air Raid (Texas Tech, New Mexico State) I have MANY playbooks from just about all of these distinct styles of offense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Styles, Playbooks, and Plays [QUOTE=ThrowTheBall]I will begin by saying I think this has been an excellent first build of the game. Outstanding really. However, I do have some suggestions for the offensive style for future versions of the game. First of all, having every offensive style use the same set of formations is inaccurate. An I-Formation for an Option team is not the same as it is for a balanced or pro-style team, yet in the game they must both choose from the same set of plays from that formation. So my suggestion is to give each different offensive style it's own set of formations, each having a set of plays more tailored to it's respective style. For example, The option style would have an I formation with option plays in it, where as the I formation in the balanced playbook would have little-no option plays in it. I also think there could be an even wider vareity of styles to choose from. Here is a list just off the top of my head that are in use in the college game today and a couple of examples of each. 1. Balanced Pro-Style (Tennessee, Texas) 2. Spread Offense (Memphis, East Carolina) 3. Smashmouth (Alabama, North Texas) 4. Option (Ohio U, Wake Forest) 5. Vertical Passing (South Carolina) 6. Flexbone Spread Option (Navy, Air Force) 7. Shotgun Spread Option (Florida, UNLV) 8. Power Spread Offense (West Virginia 9. One Back Offense (Washington State, UTEP) 10. West Coast (USC, Nebraska) 11. Air Raid (Texas Tech, New Mexico State) I have MANY playbooks from just about all of these distinct styles of offense.[/QUOTE] I have been working on some playbooks which I intended to mail to Arlie Rahn at some point in the near future. ThrowtheBall, I like your list of styles, and I would like to propose that you and I get together (cybernet-wise) and draw up some basic formations and plays. BBCF is the most addictive computer game I have ever played, but the gameplay and PBP do need lots of work. I am not sure how much space/variety Arlie wants to put into this, but there needs to be at least a 5-fold increase in the PBP, and the offenses, besides the problems you noted, do not have a spread formation which has a viable running attack--and that is the prevailing style in college today. Coaches in BBCF need to be able to run the zone play, the stretch play, the spread option, and other plays that are now basic. Maybe if we could take your list of styles and design about 20 plays for each (many plays would overlap several styles), then put them together in a neat format and mail them to Arlie, he might consider expanding this area of the game. Oh, one thing obviously needed: the ability to "flip" each play, so that you can concentrate on defensive weaknesses, etc. I have played just about every type of computer and video sports game out there, and go way back into the board game era (APBA Baseball, 1952, believe it or not.) I am a former football coach and have written PBP and designed plays for 5 or 6 different computer games over the years. Arlie has the perfect game for 30+ weeks of the year, simming or playing the season's games is the least realistic part of the game and the one which needs the most help. Contact me on this board or (better) my e-mail address: [email]wmilam@cableone.net[/email] and maybe we can do something to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived