The Story of Ten

The 2005 college football season wound down like all other college football seasons. The frontrunners positioned themselves for the bowl-time push. The also-rans settled back in earnest for the winter, gaining warmth from the hope that things would be different come summertime. Across America, a new class of recruits was primed to take center stage and make its mark on the football world. Some players were better than others, and some were bound to have more success at the next level. As for who would be stars and who would be busts, only time would tell. These are some of their stories...

Our story starts in ten different towns located across the U.S. Ten graduating high school players will be followed from the time of their recruitment to the end of their college careers, whether that ends in the glory of the NFL draft or the ignominy of a career-ending injury. [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/u][/b] -- 5'11", 196-pound QB from Eden, Texas. He owned one of the highest pass completion percentages in the nation last year at 65.3%. With 3,840 passing yards over the course of the season, there is no shortage of universities interested in the young man. He threw for 24 TD's and 13 INT's. Front-runners in the sweepstakes include Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, and UCLA. [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/u][/b] -- 6'1", 217-pound QB from Yosemite HS in Oakhurst, California. In a hugely competitive state, Trotter fared well. He racked up 3,615 passing yards while throwing for 21 TD's and just 5 INT's. The pundits expect that he'll go to someone in the Pac-10. [b][u]Olandis Brink[/u][/b] -- 6'2", 180-pound QB from Lawton, Oklahoma. He led the nation in passing yardage with 4,019 yards while accounting for 26 TD's and 13 INT's. With a 4.55-second forty, he's an excellent option for a team looking for a mobile quarterback. Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas, and Oklahoma are actively wooing him; but, many expect him to stay close to home and choose either OU or UT. [b][u]Terry Kennison[/u][/b] -- 6'0", 217-pound RB from Cave Spring HS in Roanoke, Virginia. He is steady with a 4.36-second forty and isn't afraid of contact. Going along with his 1,659 rushing yards (with 16 TD's), he caught the ball 18 times for 237 yards and registered an amazing 91 tackles with 3 sacks on the other end of the ball. He's expected to go to either an ACC or SEC school when all is said and done. [b][u]Alex Scott[/u][/b] -- 6'1", 232-pound RB from Central HS in Little Rock, Arkansas. Another bruising type of runner. He rushed for 1,703 yards and 12 TD's, also catching 24 receptions for 239 yards. Defensively, Scott picked up 67 tackles and 7 sacks. It looks like the major players in the Scott sweepstakes are Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee. He will probably have his pick of any of those. [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/u][/b] -- 6'0", 175-pound WR from Tyler Lee in Texas. He led the nation in receiving yards and has explosive speed (with a 4.26-second forty) so he's a capable receiver obviously. McDaniel made 60 receptions last year for 1,083 yards and 9 touchdowns. It seems that he's interested in staying within the Big 12. [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham[/u][/b] -- 6'2", 168-pound CB from Poland Seminary in Poland, Ohio. He combined his respectable 65 tackles, 4 sacks, and 3 interceptions with a solid 1,009 rushing yards. Georgia, Miami (FL), Michigan, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma look like the front-runners in gaining Beckham's services. [b][u]Lee Farris[/u][/b] -- A RB from Converse Judson in Texas. He could develop into a serviceable back if placed in the right environment. A variety of mid-level schools seem to be interested in him. [b][u]Brice Herock[/u][/b] -- A QB from Weedsport in New York. He possesses competitive speed with a 4.53-second forty (better than Gonzalez, Trotter, or Brink). Maybe he can make a mark at the college level? The short list of interested schools includes Army, Syracuse, and UCLA. [b][u]Jimmy Shea[/u][/b] -- A QB from Eagle River in Alaska. He more of a stand-in-the-pocket-and-throw-it kind of guy. He doen't have much speed to speak of. He's probably a big unknown at this point, so it'll be interesting to see how he does when he comes to the continental U.S.

[CENTER]~~ Recruiting Results ~~[/CENTER] [u][i]Week 2 Commitments[/i][/u] [b][u]Alex Scott (RB)[/u][/b], running back from Central HS in Little Rock, Arkansas, made a commitment to play for the Georgia Bulldogs starting in the 2006-2007 school year. Scott will serve as the second-string backup to senior standout Jamal Ferguson who accounted for 716 yards and 4 rushing touchdowns last year. Georgia (ranked 3rd in the preseason Coaches Poll and 6th in the Media poll) is coming off of a disappointing finish to their 10-3 campaign in 2005, falling to Penn State 37-22 in the Sugar Bowl. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [b][u]Olandis Brink (QB)[/u][/b], quarterback phenom from Lawton, Oklahoma, did what everyone thought he would do. With a commitment to join the Sooners of Oklahoma, Brink chose to stay close to home for his college career. Although Brink will have to sit behind starter Tony Knight, he may not have to wait too long to get his chance at the big time. Knight's GPA coming into the 2006 season is a dismal 1.65. Even the best tutors may not be enough. OU (ranked 5th in both preseason polls) finished last season at 9-3 (6-2 in the Big 12), earning a 24-10 win against Northwestern in the Alamo Bowl.

[CENTER]~~ Recruiting Results ~~[/CENTER] [u][i]Week 3 Commitments[/i][/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel (WR)[/u][/b], wide receiver from Lee HS in Tyler, Texas, decided to play football in the Big 12 but ended up reaching an agreement to play for the unlikeliest of Big 12 "powers," the Missouri Tigers. Undoubtedly, playing time was a consideration for McDaniel who would have been riding the bench for a while at a more prestigious school. Instead, he'll be starting alongside wide-out Joe Kinard who averaged 14.9 yards per catch in 2005. While a good portion of throws should go McDaniel's way, the offense still runs primarily through RB Kurt Thornton. Missouri enters the 2006 season unranked and not expected to do too terribly much beyond making a bowl appearance. The Tigers thumped Tennessee 31-10 in last year's Independence Bowl. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [b][u]Chris Gonzalez (QB)[/u][/b], quarterback from Eden, Texas, made his commitment to the Oklahoma State Cowboys. He should develop nicely under the tutelage of junior Reggie Craig who completed 173 of 303 passes last year for 2,473 passing yards and 19 touchdowns. The Cowboy running attack will be spearheaded by RB Jack Booty who ran for 1,097 yards and 7 TD's in 2005. Oklahoma State (ranked 18th in the preseason media poll and 20th in the coaches poll), posted an 8-4 record (6-2 in the Big 12) in 2005. They outgunned Cal 43-36 in the Holiday Bowl.

[CENTER]~~ Recruiting Results ~~[/CENTER] [u][i]Week 4 Commitments[/i][/u] How do you replace the Heisman Trophy winner, the Davey O'Brien Award winner, a National 1st Team Nominee, a 1st Team All Pac-10 Award recipient, and a Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year? Well, the Oregon State Beavers think you replace all that by signing [b][u]Anthony Trotter (QB)[/u][/b], quarterback from Yosemite HS in Oakhurst, California. No pressure, man. :cool: Trotter will be called upon to produce from day one for the reigning National Champion Beavers who thrashed USC 31-0 in 2005's Rose Bowl. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [b][u]Terry Kennison (RB)[/u][/b], running back from Cave Spring HS in Roanoke, Virginia, committed to his in-state dream school at the University of Virginia. With their starting QB a recent graduate, Kennison will be at the helm from the opening snap this upcoming fall. Team observers expect the Cavaliers to field a Smash Mouth offense to take some of the pressure off of Kennison early on. :D Virginia, who finished 7-4 last season, will be hoping to duplicate their bowl success from last year, a 33-14 win over Syracuse in the Gator Bowl. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham (CB)[/u][/b], cornerback from Poland Seminary in Poland, Ohio, made his commitment to play for the Buckeyes of The Ohio State University. Beckham will start alongside junior Andy Cross who registered 27 solo tackles in 2005. In the Buckeyes' 4-4 defensive scheme, both players will be called upon to make some big-time plays this year. Ohio State (11-1 in 2005) outlasted LSU 16-13 in last season's Outback Bowl. A run at the Big 10 title is always expected.

[CENTER]~~ Recruiting Results ~~[/CENTER] [u][i]Week 8 Commitments[/i][/u] [b][u]Jimmy Shea (QB)[/u][/b], quarterback from Eagle River, Alaska, committed to play for Florida International University. He will be the primary backup for starter Duce Strong. A balanced and competent offense will hopefully translate into a better finish than FIU enjoyed last year, where they ended up 4-7 (4th in the Sun Belt conference.)

[CENTER]~~ Recruiting Results ~~[/CENTER] [u][i]Week 10 Commitments[/i][/u] [b][u]Brice Herock (QB)[/u][/b], quarterback from Weedsport, New York, made official his commitment to Army. The Black Knights, with five quarterbacks on the active roster already, will redshirt Herock. This is probably the last we'll hear from him for awhile. Army posted a respectable 9-3 campaign in 2005 but fell to San Jose State 24-9 in the Poinsettia Bowl. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [b][u]Lee Farris (RB)[/u][/b], running back from Converse Judson in Texas, committed to in-state Texas A&M University. On a team laden with running talent, Farris will start the year fourth in the depth chart. Anything can happen though, so keep an eye out for Farris as things get going in the Big 12. The Aggies just missed a bowl appearance last season, finishing at 5-6 with a 3-5 conference mark (9th in the Big 12.)

[CENTER]~~ Week 1 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]2-for-3 passing for 39 yards and 2 TD's[/i] The Sooners rolled past visiting Arkansas State 48-0. So, Brink got to take a few snaps in garbage time. He completed two of the three passes he threw, both for touchdowns. The first was a 35 yards surgical strike, and the second an easy 4-yard lob into the endzone. Wow. OU is ranked 2nd in the media poll and 3rd in the coaches poll. [u]Team Record: 1-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]7 receptions for 110 yards (6 dropped passes); 3 rushes for 29 yards; no scores[/i] The Tigers ran through Vanderbilt 36-7. The tandem of McDaniel and Ahmed Clemons torched Vandy for a total of 234 yards receiving. [u]Team Record: 1-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Craig did everything right in the Cowboys' season opening rout of Memphis (52-24). He was brilliant, completing 21-of-29 passes for 285 yards, 5 TD's, and no INT's. Gonzalez was going wild on the sidelines asking for a drive or two in the fourth quarter. Maybe next week? Okie State improved to 18th in the media poll and 17th in the coaches poll. [u]Team Record: 1-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/b] -- [i](QB) Oregon State[/i][/u] [i]24-of-35 passing for 375 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INT's; 3 rushes for 6 yards[/i] Trotter had a decent showing in the Beavers' opener against Hawaii, a 48-21 pasting. He connected for a 57-yard bomb that tied the score up at 7-7 in the first quarter. He also threw two picks, however. Fortunately, Hawaii wasn't up to the task this week. [u]Team Record: 1-0, 0-0 in Pac 10[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]30 rushes for 163 yards and 1 TD; 3 receptions for 42 yards and 1 TD[/i] The Cavaliers overwhelmed South Carolina 34-13, with Kennison leading the way. A 54-yard scramble in the first quarter and a 32-yard touchdown catch in the third hinted that Kennison may be just the type of big-play kind of guy that Virginia was hoping he would be. [u]Team Record: 1-0, 0-0 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] The Aggies beat a team they should beat, outscoring UAB 37-16. A&M went far into the depth chart, but not deep enough for Farris to get a shot at the field. [u]Team Record: 1-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Idle this week: Georgia, Ohio State, Florida International Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 2 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Alex Scott[/b] -- [i](RB) Georgia[/i][/u] [i]5 rushes for 26 yards[/i] The Bulldogs raced to a 34-0 halftime lead against East Carolina and never looked back. Scott got a few touches. Really, there isn't anything more to say as the game was already over by the time he saw any action. Georgia holds steady at #7 in the media poll and at #3 in the coaches poll. [u]Team Record: 1-0, 0-0 in SEC[/u] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]2-for-2 passing for 72 yards and 1 TD[/i] The Sooners faced their first true test of the season and emerged with a 23-17 road victory against the Miami Hurricanes. Brink completed both of his pass attempts, connecting with Cornell Nead on a 57-yard touchdown strike with eight seconds remaining in the first half. The timely strike gave the Sooners a 17-10 advantage going into the locker room. Brink is the picture of efficiency, completing 4-of-5 passes this year and throwing for 3 TD's. OU is now ranked #2 in both polls. [u]Team Record: 2-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]4 receptions for 57 yards (4 dropped passes); no scores[/i] The Tigers earned a quality road win in a hard fought contest against Washington State, prevailing 23-20. McDaniel caught some passes but didn't do anything particularly spectacular. Mizzou inched up to #25 in the media poll. [u]Team Record: 2-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]3-for-8 passing for 43 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT[/i] Craig bombed this week at Florida, throwing three picks. The good news for the Cowboys? Gonzalez got a chance to show his stuff. He found the endzone with 50 seconds left in the game, putting Oklahoma State on the wrong end of a 48-13 drubbing rather than a 48-6 one. Semantics. Needless to say, the Cowboys are out of the polls. [u]Team Record: 1-1, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/b] -- [i](QB) Oregon State[/i][/u] [i]13-of-34 passing for 213 yards, 2 TD's, and 1 INT; 1 rush for (-1) yards[/i] And so ends the Beavers' hopes of defending their national title. Oregon State couldn't defend their home field, falling to Nebraska 42-28. Trotter was merely mediocre. The true bright spot for the Beavers was RB Dave Holleyman who ran the ball 22 times for 270 yards and two touchdowns. [u]Team Record: 1-1, 0-0 in Pac 10[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]32 rushes for 155 yards and 2 TD's; 3 receptions for 29 yards[/i] Kennison again led the way for the Cavaliers in a 40-19 rout of Temple. This was his second straight game rushing for over 150 yards. A pair of touchdown runs to close out the first half propelled Virginia from a ten-point lead up to a 34-10 halftime edge. [u]Team Record: 2-0, 0-0 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham[/b] -- [i](CB) Ohio State[/i][/u] [i]2 tackles, 1 forced fumble[/i] This was not the start to the season that the Buckeyes wanted, a 45-24 annihilation at the hands of Notre Dame in South Bend. Beckham forced a fumble but, unfortunately, the rest of the defense was anemic this week. Ohio State falls to #18 in the coaches poll and out of the media poll altogether. [u]Team Record: 0-1, 0-0 in Big 10[/u] [b][u]Jimmy Shea[/b] -- [i](QB) Florida International[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Florida International blew this game in the final seconds, allowing San Diego State to put a 33-yard FG through the uprights with 28 seconds to go in the game for the 23-22 win. [u]Team Record: 0-1, 0-0 in Sun Belt[/u] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] The Aggies outperform Maryland in a shootout, 43-33. For the second straight week, Farris doesn't see any action. A&M makes its debut in the polls, at #22 in the media and #23 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 2-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 3 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [i][u]Academic Update[/u][/i] Well, the first set of academic probations and suspensions were announced this week. For the most part, the group of ten freshmen are performing extremely well. Brice Herock (Army) leads the way with an impressive 3.99 GPA. Also in the A-/B+ neighborhood are Shea (3.84), Beckham (3.66), Trotter (3.66), Farris (3.60), Gonzalez (3.57), Scott (3.38), and Brink (3.37). Three things of note... First, OU's starting quarterback, Tony Knight, has kicked his studies into overdrive and sent his GPA rocketing up to 2.16. I guess I was wrong about the whole tutor thing. It looks like Olandis Brink won't leapfrog Knight because of grades, but will likely do so because of his on-the-field performance. Second, Missouri's Freddie McDaniel and fellow starting wide receiver Joe Kinard need to stop studying together. Their GPA's are 2.14 and 2.08, respectively. Finally, Terry Kennison of Virginia may be the most intriguing member of the Group of Ten, but only if he gets his act together in the classroom. His GPA is an atrocious 1.96 to start the year.

[CENTER]~~ Week 3 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Alex Scott[/b] -- [i](RB) Georgia[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] The Bulldogs outgained the Tar Heels 451 yards to 335, but the afternoon belonged to UNC 31-20. Stud RB Jamel Ferguson went down late with a ligament tear, so Georgia may be in trouble. Georgia plummets to #20 in the media poll and #14 in the coaches poll. [u]Team Record: 1-1, 0-0 in SEC[/u] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]18-of-24 passing for 238 yards and 2 TD's; 3 rushes for 3 yards[/i] Brink got the starting nod against Idaho and did not disappoint, connecting on touchdown strikes of 64 yards and 15 yards in the second quarter to give the Sooners a 24-0 halftime lead. Final score: OU 30, Idaho 13. OU remains #2 in both national polls. [u]Team Record: 3-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]5 receptions for 36 yards (4 dropped passes); 2 rushes for 3 yards; 1 lost fumble[/i] The Tigers held off a furious fourth-quarter rally attempt by Indiana, prevailing 24-17. McDaniel again got some catches for short gains. He also picked up his first fumble. Mizzou moved up to #21 in both polls. [u]Team Record: 3-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]14-of-29 passing for 194 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT[/i] After last weeks thumping, Craig was sidelined and Gonzalez was given the start. He ended up doing what was expected in that he didn't lose the game for the Cowboys. Oklahoma State used its ground game (244 yards rushing) to wear down South Florida in a 31-6 rout. Gonzalez connected with A.J. Marino in the third quarter for his second touchdown in as many weeks. The media weren't entirely impressed but the coaches did see fit to give the Cowboys the #25 spot. [u]Team Record: 2-1, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/b] -- [i](QB) Oregon State[/i][/u] [i]3-of-3 passing for 10 yards and 1 TD; 1 rush for (-1) yards[/i] Trotter came off the bench this week, backing up Mark Petty who had an outstanding showing in Oregon State's 41-12 victory at Eastern Michigan. Petty's performance (26-of-31 passing for 309 yards and 3 TD's) may signal that the starting job at quarterback is now up for grabs. [u]Team Record: 2-1, 0-0 in Pac 10[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]33 rushes for 180 yards and 1 TD; 3 receptions for 25 yards[/i] Another splendid day for Kennison who broke a 3-3 tie in the third quarter with a 20-yard touchdown scramble that would prove to be the difference maker at Michigan State. Kennison now has 498 rushing yards and 5 touchdowns (4 rushing, 1 receiving) through three games. One can only wonder how far he will carry the Cavaliers this season. [u]Team Record: 3-0, 0-0 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham[/b] -- [i](CB) Ohio State[/i][/u] [i]4 tackles[/i] The Buckeyes recovered nicely from last week, destroying Louisville 45-10 on the road. Beckham had a hand in more plays this week, registering 4 tackles. The pollsters placed Ohio State at #23 in the media poll and #16 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 1-1, 0-0 in Big 10[/u] [b][u]Jimmy Shea[/b] -- [i](QB) Florida International[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Florida International squandered a lead for the second week in a row. This time, Washington erased a 17-13 deficit by scoring the game's last 20 points. [u]Team Record: 0-2, 0-0 in Sun Belt[/u] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] The Aggies roll again, this time with a 47-13 drubbing of Central Florida at Kyle Field. A&M doesn't move in the polls, however, remaining at #22 in the media and #23 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 3-0, 0-0 in Big 12[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 4 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]2-of-2 passing for 10 yards[/i] Knight got the starting nod this week. Whether it's Knight or Brink at the helm, the Sooners just don't seem to miss a beat. OU gave Texas A&M its first loss of the season, 38-28. The Sooners grabbed the top spot in the media poll but held steady at #2 in the coaches poll. [u]Team Record: 4-0, 1-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Gonzalez sat this one out completely as Craig returned to form in a shootout with Colorado. Behind a 25-for-40, 315-yard, 3 touchdown performance, the Cowboys prevailed in overtime, 31-24. Oklahoma State moved up to #21 in the media poll and #20 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 3-1, 1-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/b] -- [i](QB) Oregon State[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Oregon State went to battle against #13 Cal with Petty at the helm, probably hoping that veteran leadership would produce a better result than the loss to Nebraska earlier in the year. No such luck. Trailing 17-3 at the half, the Beavers just couldn't make up enough ground. Final score: Cal 24, Oregon State 19. [u]Team Record: 2-2, 0-1 in Pac 10[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]11 rushes for 87 yards and 3 TD's[/i] Behind the performances of Kennison and Tunch Fuller (158 yards on 30 carries), the Cavaliers were just amazing against UNC, cruising to a 34-6 result. Kennison's touchdown runs included a pair of one-yarders and a monster 55-yard rumble. Virginia inched up in the polls, to #14 in the media and #17 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 4-0, 1-0 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham[/b] -- [i](CB) Ohio State[/i][/u] [i]2 tackles[/i] The Buckeyes erased an eight-point fourth quarter deficit to steal this one from Northwestern, 21-18. Beckham registered a pair of tackles. Nothing spectacular. OSU is getting a lot of love in the coaches' poll, shooting up to 19th. [u]Team Record: 2-1, 1-0 in Big 10[/u] [b][u]Jimmy Shea[/b] -- [i](QB) Florida International[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] FIU fell short in a yawner against fellow O-fer, Louisiana-Lafayette, 10-9. Doubts are beginning to rise about the possibility of a winless season. Perhaps it's time to give Shea a shot to break the team out of its rut. After all, what do they have to lose? [u]Team Record: 0-3, 0-1 in Sun Belt[/u] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] A&M played well. They just ran into a much better team in OU. Once again, Farris didn't get in on any plays. [u]Team Record: 3-1, 0-1 in Big 12[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Idle This Week: Georgia, Missouri Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 5 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Alex Scott[/b] -- [i](RB) Georgia[/i][/u] [i]12 rushes for 101 yards and 2 TD's; 1 kickoff return for 39 yards[/i] Scott chose the right time to shine, torching the Florida Gators' defense for touchdown runs of 24 yards and 5 yards. The Bulldog offense was simply clicking on all cylinders, running its way out to a 40-17 lead before almost blowing the whole thing in the closing minutes. Final score: Georgia 40, previously-unbeaten Florida 30. Georgia cracked the #24 spot in the coaches' poll. [u]Team Record: 2-1, 1-0 in SEC[/u] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]2-of-2 passing for 25 yards[/i] For the second time in as many weeks, OU gave an unbeaten team its first loss of the year. The latest victim was Texas, who fell to the Sooners 41-34 in double overtime. Tony Knight again led the way with 278 yards through the air, this time rallying his team from a 14-point halftime deficit. As long as he's producing wins like this, Brink will have to wait for his turn to guide the Sooners. OU held firm at #2 in both polls and #4 in the GDCS standings. [u]Team Record: 5-0, 2-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]5 receptions for 96 yards (no dropped passes)[/i] McDaniel didn't find the endzone but did his part in keeping things moving, as Mizzou outlasted Kansas 26-17. You can't ask anything more of a receiver who catches everything that comes his way. [u]Team Record: 4-0, 1-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]10-of-18 passing for 196 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT[/i] Gonzalez again put up a modest performance in his second start of the year. The Cowboys probably should have lost this game as the Texas Tech Red Raiders outgained Okie State 534 yards to just 395. But RB Jack Booty just wouldn't quit, scrambling for 169 yards and 2 touchdowns on 26 carries. The Cowboys prevailed 40-38, rising to #19 in the media poll and #18 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 4-1, 2-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]21 rushes for 101 yards and 1 TD; 2 receptions for 17 yards[/i] Dreams of an undefeated season ended at Miami as the Hurricane offense made mincemeat of the Cavaliers' D. Kennison did his best to keep things close; but, in the end, he needed some help. Final score: Miami 44, Virginia 27. Given Miami's 5-0 record, Virginia didn't suffer too much in the ratings. They ended the week at #18 in the media poll and #21 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 4-1, 1-1 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham[/b] -- [i](CB) Ohio State[/i][/u] [i]2 tackles[/i] Another road game, another road win for the Buckeyes. This time, Ohio State flexed its defensive muscle with an authoritative 27-9 thumping of Minnesota. Beckham again picked up a pair of tackles. At least he's consistent... The Buckeyes improved marginally to #24 in the media poll and #17 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 3-1, 2-0 in Big 10[/u] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Farris could only watch helplessly as the Aggies entered the 4th quarter tied with Colorado and left the field on the wrong side of a 34-20 defeat. Things aren't looking too bright for the Aggies or Farris right now. [u]Team Record: 3-2, 0-2 in Big 12[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Idle This Week: Oregon State, Florida International Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 6 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [i][u]Academic Update[/u][/i] Brice Herock (Army) again takes top scholastic honors within our Group of Ten. His GPA slipped a bit to 3.96. Right behind him are Trotter (3.91), who has kicked his average up by a quarter of a point, and Shea (3.90). Also doing a good job in the classroom are Beckham (3.60), Farris (3.54), Brink (3.48), Gonzalez (3.33), and Scott (3.32). Three items of interest... Missouri's Freddie McDaniel pushed his GPA from 2.14 to 2.17, so he's still not out of the woods. Perhaps more concerning for the Tigers, Joe Kinard is down to an even 2.00. Without even one of these receivers, Missouri's hopes for success in the Big 12 go down dramatically. The Virginia faithful can breath a sigh of relief (at least for the moment.) Terry Kennison upped his GPA from 1.96 to 2.08. Hopefully, this holds up so we can see what kind of year Kennison will put together. Finally, second-ranked OU received word of the unthinkable. Starting QB Tony Knight fell back to earth as his GPA tumbled to 1.94. Brink has been good in the limited action he has seen, but this can't be comforting to Sooner fans.

[CENTER]~~ Week 6 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Alex Scott[/b] -- [i](RB) Georgia[/i][/u] [i]9 rushes for 20 yards and 1 TD[/i] Scott didn't get as many carries as he would've liked this week, and it might've been a costly mistake as Georgia lost in a heartbreaker to Mississippi State. Up by 15 points in the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs found a way to lose 38-35. Scott's touchdown run was a 3-yarder early in the second quarter. [u]Team Record: 2-2, 1-1 in SEC[/u] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]5-of-5 passing for 25 yards and [b]3 TD's![/b][/i] Fellow freshman QB Joe Thompson got the starting nod this week against Missouri, and one wouldn't have noticed that it was Thompson's first college start by looking at the score: OU 58, Mizzou 3. Brink came in for some garbage time in the fourth quarter and proceeded to connect for touchdown strikes of 1, 2, and 3 yards within the span of four minutes. The Sooner QB triumvirate is simply amazing. Total yardage in this one? 546 for the Sooners versus 248 for the Tigers. Not surprisingly, OU vaulted Michigan to earn the #1 spot in both national polls. [u]Team Record: 6-0, 3-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]3 receptions for 28 yards (2 dropped passes); 1 fumble (none lost)[/i] [i]See above[/i] for a summary of the OU-Missouri debacle. McDaniel was ineffective in this one, but some might say that receivers are only as dominant as their quarterbacks allow them to be. A bright spot for the Tigers? 218 return yards. [u]Team Record: 4-1, 1-1 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]5-of-5 passing for 33 yards and 1 TD; 1 rush for a 4-yard loss[/i] Kansas jumped out to an early 3-0 lead, but then the Cowboys rattled off 51 straight points. Ouch. Starting QB Reggie Craig led the way with 3 touchdown passes. Gonzalez chipped in with a 4-yard TD lob. Oklahoma State moved up to #14 in the media poll and #12 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 5-1, 3-0 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]29 rushes for 158 yards and 1 TD; 1 reception for 9 yards[/i] Kennison and the Cavaliers took out their frustrations from last week on N.C. State, torching them for 24 points in the fourth quarter en route to a 41-3 trouncing. Kennison punctuated his performance with a 50-yard touchdown run late in the first half. He ended the afternoon with 844 rushing yards and 122 receiving yards for the year. He has scored 10 touchdowns thus far. Virginia regained lost ground in the polls, moving up to #13 in the media poll and #15 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 5-1, 2-1 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Jimmy Shea[/b] -- [i](QB) Florida International[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Same old story for FIU. This time they fall 33-14 at Temple. Shea could only watch on from the sidelines and wonder when things would change. [u]Team Record: 0-4, 0-2 in Sun Belt[/u] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] A&M barely avoided disaster and a .500 record this week, scoring the game-winning touchdown with 26 seconds left in the game. Final score: A&M 23, Baylor 20. [u]Team Record: 4-2, 1-2 in Big 12[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Idle This Week: Oregon State, Ohio State Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 7 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] Some random notes... A month-and-a-half into the 2006 season, eight teams remain unbeaten. [u][i]6-0[/i][/u] Oklahoma Penn State [u][i]5-0[/i][/u] Arizona State Florida State Georgia Tech Michigan Pittsburgh [u][i]4-0[/i][/u] Utah 4-1 Clemson leads the nation in offense with 47 ppg and 569.6 ypg. They average almost a touchdown more than Michigan's second-ranked scoring offense (40.8 ppg.) Florida State leads the nation in defensive yardage with only 272.4 yards allowed per game.

[CENTER]~~ Week 7 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Alex Scott[/b] -- [i](RB) Georgia[/i][/u] [i]7 rushes for 38 yards[/i] Scott put together a few nice runs for modest gains as Georgia picked up a much needed win at South Carolina, 38-28. Jamel Ferguson led the way on the ground with 81 yards on 15 carries. [u]Team Record: 3-2, 2-1 in SEC[/u] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]1-of-1 passing for 30 yards; sacked once for a loss of 12 yards[/i] A horrendous week for OU all around. O-fer Baylor pulled off the impossible, capitalizing on three Sooner fumbles to put up 28 big points in the third quarter and outlast OU 34-28. Knight did well in the start for Oklahoma (throwing for 305 yards and 1 touchdown), but this loss to a cellar-dweller may have just cost the Sooners a shot at the national championship. Inexplicably, OU only fell one spot to #2 in both national polls and #3 in the GDCS standings. [u]Team Record: 6-1, 3-1 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]6 receptions for 53 yards and 1 TD (4 dropped passes)[/i] McDaniel had a solid outing, hauling in an 11-yard touchdown strike from QB Billy Haddix to help the Tigers get past Colorado 42-28. The outcome of this one was definitely in doubt at the half, but Mizzou went on a second-half tear, outscoring the Buffaloes 30-7 to close out the game. Missouri ended the week at #21 in the media poll and #16 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 5-1, 2-1 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Gonzalez had to sit this one out and watch as Nebraska wiped up the field with the Cowboys. Reggie Craig threw for 211 yards and 3 touchdowns but also tossed two costly picks. Final score: Huskers 52, Cowboys 31. Oklahoma State fell to #18 in the media poll and #22 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 5-2, 3-1 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/b] -- [i](QB) Oregon State[/i][/u] [i]25-of-32 passing for 344 yards and 4 TD's; 1 rush for a loss of 1 yard[/i] Trotter was absolutely dominant in a blowout win over Arizona. Final score: Oregon State 37, Arizona 9. He connected on 69-yard and 5-yard strikes to Alan Smith, as well as a 16-yarder to William Jackson and another 3-yard pitch to Scott Scifres. Now [b]this[/b] is the Anthony Trotter that everyone expected to see a few weeks earlier. Better late than never? [u]Team Record: 3-2, 1-1 in Pac-10[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]29 rushes for 137 yards; 3 receptions for 28 yards[/i] The Cavaliers rolled over 0-5 Duke, outgaining the Blue Devils 475 yards to a paltry 61 yards of total offense. The 26-7 score doesn't even hint at how lopsided this game was. Virginia cracked the top 10 in both polls: reaching #9 in the media poll and #10 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 6-1, 3-1 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham[/b] -- [i](CB) Ohio State[/i][/u] [i]2 tackles[/i] The Buckeyes hosted 14th-ranked Purdue and throughly dominated them, 29-16. Beckham seems to have a knack for picking up two tackles per game. Ohio State continued to rise through the ranks, finding itself at #19 in the media poll and #15 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 4-1, 3-0 in Big 10[/u] [b][u]Jimmy Shea[/b] -- [i](QB) Florida International[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Miracle of miracles. FIU raced out to a 23-0 lead and held on for dear life, beating North Texas on the road! Final score: 33-20. It doesn't look like Shea is going to see the field anytime soon, with the season roughly half over. [u]Team Record: 1-4, 1-2 in Sun Belt[/u] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] A&M again escaped disaster against a team they should've demolished. This time, it took a game-winning field goal with 2:47 left in the game to lift the Aggies over 0-7 Kansas, 34-31. I don't know if they deserve the ranking, but they stood at #24 in the media poll and #23 in the coaches'. Texas A&M will need more than luck when they travel to Lincoln in Week 8. [u]Team Record: 5-2, 2-2 in Big 12[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 7 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] Week 7 was a bad week for the unbeatens as 4-out-of-8 undefeated teams went down. Oklahoma, Florida State, Penn State, and Arizona State were the latest victims. As for the survivors? (1) Michigan -- [i]defeated Penn State 44-23[/i] (3) Georgia Tech -- [i]defeated Boston College 62-6[/i] (8) Utah -- [i]defeated Colorado State 19-10[/i] (12) Pittsburgh -- [i]defeated South Florida 27-19[/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 8 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Alex Scott[/b] -- [i](RB) Georgia[/i][/u] [i]18 rushes for 102 yards and 2 TD's; 2 receptions for 20 yards[/i] A breakout performance for both Scott and the Bulldogs. Behind his 12-yard touchdown scramble right before halftime and a 10-yarder in the fourth quarter, Georgia edged out Auburn 28-23. It looks like Georgia is getting into a rhythm now and more confidence is being invested in Alex Scott's abilities. [u]Team Record: 4-2, 3-1 in SEC[/u] [i]Individual 2006 Stats: 51 rushes for 287 yards (5.63 yds per carry) and 5 TD's; 2 receptions for 20 yards[/i] [b][u]Olandis Brink[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma[/i][/u] [i]2-of-2 passing for 51 yards and 1 TD; sacked once for a loss of 2 yards[/i] The Sooners got back on track with a 58-29 trouncing of K-State. Knight led the way for OU with 471 yards through the air and 4 touchdown strikes. Brink made the most of his few snaps, hooking up with Daylon Whitted for a 44-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter. Oklahoma won but still fell one spot to #3 in both national polls. They sit at #4 in the GDCS standings. [u]Team Record: 7-1, 4-1 in Big 12[/u] [i]Individual 2006 Stats: 34-of-41 passing for 490 yards, 9 TD's, and no INT's; 4 rushes for 3 yards[/i] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]5 receptions for 91 yards (5 dropped passes); one lost fumble[/i] Missouri blew by Texas Tech 41-13. Luckily, the outcome was never in doubt, so McDaniel's first-quarter fumble returned for a touchdown didn't hurt the team. For the second straight week, the Tigers dominated the second-half. This time, they outscored the Red Raiders 31-0 over the final twenty-five minutes of the game. Missouri jumped up to #15 in both national polls. [u]Team Record: 6-1, 3-1 in Big 12[/u] [i]Individual 2006 Stats: 35 receptions for 471 yards and 1 TD; 5 rushes for 32 yards[/i] [b][u]Chris Gonzalez[/b] -- [i](QB) Oklahoma State[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] Reggie Craig got the start again and led the Cowboys to an uneventful 28-14 victory over Baylor. Since Gonzalez didn't see any action, here was Craig's stat line: 296 yards on 25-of-39 passing, 2 TD's, and 1 pick. Oklahoma State has quietly found its way to #17 in both national polls. [u]Team Record: 6-2, 4-1 in Big 12[/u] [i]Individual 2006 Stats: 32-of-60 passing for 466 yards, 4 TD's, and 3 INT's; 1 rush for no gain[/i] [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/b] -- [i](QB) Oregon State[/i][/u] [i]18-of-36 passing for 309 yards, 3 TD's, and 4 INT's[/i] One step forward, two steps back... All expectations were that Trotter would build upon his great performance from the Arizona game. Instead, he managed to more than double his interception total for the season. And doing that against formerly undefeated Arizona State spelled disaster for the Beavers. Final score: Arizona State 41, Oregon State 24. [u]Team Record: 3-3, 1-2 in Pac-10[/u] [i]Individual 2006 Stats: 83-of-140 passing for 1,251 yards, 11 TD's, and 7 INT's; 6 rushes for 6 yards[/i] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]26 rushes for 101 yards; 2 receptions for 5 yards[/i] This week's matchup against Florida State gave the Cavaliers a chance to see just how good they truly are. In a frustration-filled afternoon, the Virginia offense managed to move the ball just fine (outgaining the Seminoles 374 yards to 255 yards), but just couldn't crack the Seminoles' red-zone defense. Final score: FSU 19, Virginia 3. Kennison pulled out another 100-yard game but failed to find the end-zone for the second consecutive week. If he doesn't score, the Cavaliers are going to struggle. Virginia dropped to #16 in the media poll and #18 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 6-2, 3-2 in ACC[/u] [i]Individual 2006 Stats: 211 rushes for 1,082 yards (5.13 yds per carry), 9 TD's, and 3 fumbles; 17 receptions for 155 yards (9.1 yds per catch) and 1 TD[/i] [b][u]Lee Farris[/b] -- [i](RB) Texas A&M[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] The Aggies put up a better fight than everyone expected, but fell just short of upsetting Nebraska. The Huskers' 80-yard touchdown run late in the fourth-quarter sealed up a 21-13 victory. Farris looked disinterested in the game from the opening snap. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up seeking a transfer during the offseason. [u]Team Record: 5-3, 2-3 in Big 12[/u] [i]Individual 2006 Stats: Has Not Played[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Idle This Week: Ohio State, Florida International Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) [/i]

[i]Some miscellaneous Week 8/9 tidbits[/i] Chris Gonzalez kicked his studies into overdrive, pushing his GPA from 3.33 to 3.96 (the top mark for the Group of Ten.) He must've kissed some serious butt and convinced some of his profs to change their grades, because I don't think that kind of jump is possible at this point in the year. Herock and Shea are close behind with a 3.85. Rounding out the guys who were in the 3's: Beckham (3.77), Brink (3.60), Farris (3.52), Trotter (3.33), and Scott (3.31). Missouri's tutors continue to be suspect. Freddie McDaniel fell to a marginal 2.05 while teammate Joe Kinard fell below the line to a 1.87. This is a serious issue for a Tiger team gunning for a Top 10 finish this year. Virginia's Terry Kennison held steady with a 2.07 GPA. Not spectacular but it's probably good enough to ensure that he gets to play through the end of the season. Thing's went from bad to worse for Oklahoma. A month ago, the Sooners were undefeated, masters of their own destiny, and fielding a potent triad of QB phenoms. Now, they have a loss under their belt and are down to two QB's. That's right. Third-stringer Joe Thompson was suspended. And Tony Knight narrowly avoided the same fate, managing to pull out a 2.06. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]Unbeaten Watch[/i] Three of the four undefeated teams kept the dream alive, and Pittsburgh watched some tv at home. (1) Michigan -- [i]defeated Purdue 31-28[/i] (2) Georgia Tech -- [i]defeated Duke 28-27[/i] (7) Utah -- [i]defeated Wyoming 41-18[/i] (11) Pittsburgh -- [i]idle[/i]

[CENTER]~~ Week 9 -- 2006 Season ~~[/CENTER] [b][u]Alex Scott[/b] -- [i](RB) Georgia[/i][/u] [i]10 rushes for 54 yards and 1 TD; 1 reception for 63 yards and 1 TD[/i] Scott put together another solid performance, finding the endzone twice in a 47-21 Bulldog victory over Vanderbilt. The two scores included a 63-yard touchdown catch on the second play of the game and a less dramatic 15-yard scramble in the second quarter. Georgia finally found its way back into the polls with the #23 spot in the coaches' poll. [u]Team Record: 5-2, 4-1 in SEC[/u] [b][u]Freddie McDaniel[/b] -- [i](WR) Missouri[/i][/u] [i]8 receptions for 135 yards and 1 TD (no drops)[/i] Okay, Missouri is officially a second-half team now. For the third straight week, the Tigers did their damage after the half. This time, they erased a 13-0 deficit to pull out a stunning 30-20 win against K-State. QB Jeff Kitna connected with McDaniel on a 35-yard third-quarter strike that broke a 17-17 deadlock. The Tigers moved up to #13 in the media poll and #12 in the coaches'. [u]Team Record: 7-1, 4-1 in Big 12[/u] [b][u]Anthony Trotter[/b] -- [i](QB) Oregon State[/i][/u] [i]16-of-38 passing for 180 yards, 3 TD's, and 1 INT[/i] His numbers were only mediocre, but Trotter still had a chance to pull off a victory against Washington State. Trailing by 3 in their half of a second overtime, Trotter and the Beavers couldn't convert on a 1st-and-goal from the ten. Four incomplete passes. Argh! Final score: Washington State 33, Oregon State 27 (2 OT). This loss doesn't help their bowl chances. [u]Team Record: 3-4, 1-3 in Pac-10[/u] [b][u]Terry Kennison[/b] -- [i](RB) Virginia[/i][/u] [i]16 rushes for 76 yards; 2 receptions for 7 yards[/i] Kennison had a pretty bad game by his standards. And the Cavaliers had an even worse game, rolling over for the second-ranked team in the nation. Final score: Georgia Tech 48, Virginia 3. Kennison accounted for 76 of Virginia's 86 total rushing yards this afternoon. It's taken just a couple of weeks for Virginia to go from football juggernaut to pretender. They're clinging to the #25 spot in the media poll and have fallen out of the coaches' altogether. [u]Team Record: 6-3, 3-3 in ACC[/u] [b][u]Ahmaad Beckham[/b] -- [i](CB) Ohio State[/i][/u] [i]2 tackles[/i] Beckham did his usual thing as the Buckeyes did their usual thing, holding Penn State to just 28 yards rushing and 289 yards of total offense. Final score: tOSU 21, PSU 16. After dropping their season opener, Ohio State has been on a tear. They now sit at #14 in both national polls. [u]Team Record: 5-1, 4-0 in Big 10[/u] [b][u]Jimmy Shea[/b] -- [i](QB) Florida International[/i][/u] [i]Did Not Play[/i] FIU fell just short yet again, losing to Louisiana-Monroe by a score of 20-16. Not much to say about this one. It was close throughout, but you just knew who was going to win it in the end. [u]Team Record: 1-5, 1-2 in Sun Belt[/u] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i] Idle This Week: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M Redshirts: Brice Herock (Army) And then there were three... Pittsburgh dropped a heartbreaker to Louisville 24-20. That leaves just three unbeatens across the land: (1) Michigan -- defeated Northwestern 39-13 (2) Georgia Tech -- defeated Virginia 48-3! :eek: (4) Utah -- defeated San Diego State 37-13 [/i]

Archived