Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and the like

Jaysin

Like most kids in the 90's, one of the things I grew up on Power Rangers. I still love going back and watching Mighty Morphing, but that's besides the point.

I've always wanted to watch the source material, but I've never really known how to go about doing that. I've tried reading about Kamen Rider(Masked Rider in the US), Metal Hero Series(VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs), and Super Sentai(Power Rangers), but truth be told, I can't seem to find a chronological order in them.

I read that the Metal Hero Series can be incredibly dark and is watched by more adults than children, so I'd kind of like to start with that series, but I just figured I'd see if there's anyone here that had any pointers on where to start with all of this. I loved the Ultraman movies and shows that got released in the US as a kid, so eventually I'd like to give that a shot too.

Anyone have any opinions?

http://www.jefusion.com/2012/10/kamen-rider-x-super-sentai-super-hero-taisen-movie-sub.html

That's actually what got me interested in watching this stuff. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but it's a giant cross over between Kamen Rider and Super Sentai.

Apparently, if I really want to pursue starting with Metal Hero, I'll have to learn Japanese as most of the different series haven't been subbed. :(

*Edit*

I'm starting with Zyuranger(what became Mighty Morphing Power Rangers in the US). If anyone has any preferences on which Kamen Rider series I should check out first, feel free. I looked at Kamen Rider Amazon and I thought his armor looked kinda cool, especially for a late 70's kids show. So right now that's the one I'm kind of leaning towards.

I'm nowhere near an expert, but I rather love the Super Sentai and Kamen Rider tokusatsu series. TV-Nihon has downloads of a lot of the more modern Sentai and Rider series subbed and KITsubs has been subbing the first Kamen Rider series. I don't know much about Amazon other than it is surprising violent. My personal favorite Kamen Rider series is Kamen Rider W, such a fantastic season. Also, seeing how it's still relatively early, you can start watching Kamen Rider Wizard, the latest season. TV-Nihon and Over-Time both sub the series and so far it's been pretty interesting. Hope that helps!

I completely forgot about TV-Nihon! I used to download subs of the Japanese Transformers cartoons from them.

I put Kamen Rider W on my list, and I'll check out Wizard too.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Outside of Transformers the occasional anime, I haven't watched many Japanese shows so this is a relatively new experience for me.

Amazon's armor really intrigued me. I have a weird obsession with the Gill-Man(Creature from the Black Lagoon) and Amazon resembled him.

Kikaida rocks dudes its so fake looking but heck its a 70s show and he rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhMaez9J7X4

here is a kamen rider show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEm1sQiqHsg

they have a bunch of shows on you tube.

Bet none of you have heard of the original captain planet lol. He is called rainbow man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYE8MdJYXE

• 7 years later...