Understanding Depth Chart

I know it sounds silly as I had the game of Bowl Bound for years.

It does crop up time and time again.

When I look at the depth chart, I instantly think the positions are for whatever philosophy of either Offense and Defense.

But it turns out the some positions are for certain philosphies and formations but not all are for every formation.

I wonder if it is possible for a Depth Chart help be made sticky as if anyone of you can help me understand what each position can be used in what formation.

For example.... S is seen in some formations but not all formations and sometimes for example you see SS and FS in 4-2-5 formation but again you see an S in it but again it doesn't show up in a Depth Chart and it is hard trying to figure who is covering the S position when you have got FS and SS in it showing up.

Another example in the 4-2-5 is the LBs in the playbook but one is in the Nickel position.

I admit I am not getting to grips with the formations especially I come from across the pond and there may be others who are in the same position.

Would be nice if there is a detailed explanation for all Bowlbound fans.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not fully understanding what you want to know, my apologies for that.

Basically all defenses are a 4-3 or a 3-4, with variations on these two primary formations depending solely on circumstances (usually determined by down and distance).

A 4-3 is 4 down linemen (DE, DT, DT, DE) with 3 linebackers (WLB, MLB, SLB). Then you flesh out the rest with your four secondary players (CB, SS, FS, CB).

A 3-4 is 3 down linemen (DE, NT, DE), consider the NT a DT, and 4 linebackers (WLB, LILB, RILB, SLB), where the ILB are the same as a MLB, just two of them. Again, flesh out the rest with CB, FS, SS, CB.

These are the primary defenses that every team plays. Your choice would depend on who you have on your team, depth at each position, etc. If I had a lot of depth on the D-Line, especially at DT, I'd likely run a 4-3. On the other hand if my DT depth was poor, say two deep, but I had good ILB depth, then I'd likely go with a 3-4 defense.

The other types of defense are typically considered specialty defense to offset a particular strength or weakness of your team or an opponent. If you find yourself lacking LB depth, or quality, but have a strong secondary, then you might run a 4-2-5, which is a 4-3, but drops the MLB in favor of an extra secondary player, typically a S, that can play both the pass and the run. Remember, secondary players (CB, S) are typically better defenders against the pass compared to LB. Also, S are usually bigger, slower and can hit (more like a small LB) compared to a CB.

In the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5, where you see a FS and a SS; but then see a third player labeled "S" (I think this is what you are referencing in particular); if you look at your depth chart, the very last one shown on defense is Nickel DB. Remember, all nickel (and dime for that matter) mean is an adjustment to a primarily passing situation defense (better against the pass than the run). You typically drop 1 LB in favor of another secondary (CB or S) player who is better able to cover a WR or TE in a passing package (consider Trips or a 4-5 WR set). You can set that Nickel DB position with any players but they typically default to the BEST secondary player, no matter what his actual position. So even though it shows S on the depth chart map, it could be a CB, FS or SS playing that spot. Usually it will be your highest rated backup player.

Many thanks, Cajun,

Yes, "S" is what I am on about in the 4-2-5 formation.

Now I can understand who can fill the "S" position and the Nickel section.

What you wrote down will be a great boost to me on understand the Defence formation.

Like what I said at the beginning of the email originally, it would be nice if there is a step by step of formations used in Offense and Defense and who can fill what positions.

Having a document explaining who can cover what positions could or must be made sticky on the GDS forum for others to read and how to do about it.

thanks, Raging Cajun,

Archived