Chris Kable (Road to Glory)

This is my story.

I was born in Vancouver, Canada, but family business saw us move country... to Seattle, Washington.

I was 'gifted' (so they said) with natural sporting ability, in that I could play any sport for the first time and generally look to be one of the better people on the team. Thankfully for me it meant an easy ride in school as I was one of better players on the team - whether that was Football, Ice Hockey, Basketball or Soccer. I preferred Basketball to them all, but I seemed to hit the 6' mark and stopped growing completely when I was 16. Despite the naturally affinity I had with sport, I still enjoyed school, and had a keen interest in electronics (even if it wasn't an actual lesson), but the physics and science behind it seemed easy enough to grasp.

I had made the decision to apply for colleges that had a good sports department and a decent course on electronics or sound engineering. I somehow ended up at the University of Texas, Austin, which seemed to offer the best of both worlds, on a football scholarship.

Now, I'm not 100% sure how I ended up becoming the booker for a wrestling promotion in Louisiana, but it happened. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with money and on the job work experience. Strangely, I had always been a wrestling fan and remember watching the early years of SWF v TCW as I grew up in Seattle. So, yes... I am a huge Tommy Cornell mark. Despite enjoying watching wrestling, I had never considered becoming a wrestling at High School or College. I hadn't even taken up a martial art, or the new sensation of MMA sweeping across the Country.

Yet, here I was working for Harry Chadwick at Pure Entertainment Wrestling based out of Louisiana once a month.

They were a tiny promotion, barely known in the town they were running their shows in, but Harry had promised to pay for my gas to get there, as well as a chance to practice rigging up the show's electronics. This was back in September 2012, I had just turned 18. Two months later I found myself being asked to do more odd jobs, and even received impromptu training to be a wrestling when guys needed a sparring partner to practice new moves, holds and sequences with. I felt strangely out of place, but at the same time found myself enjoying the experience.

Harry Chadwick was a funny guy. He had made his money in the theatre world, and as you can imagine was a very over the top character. He was originally from Jamiaca but had lived in Louisiana for a number of years, and enjoyed the relaxed easy lifestyle mixed up amongst the Americana.

Whenever he spoke, he spoke with a strange mixture of Jamacian and Foghorn Leghorn. I'm not sure if that was really his accent, or if it was something he put on. Eitherway it cracked me up.

Pure Entertainment Wrestling looked to offer a style of wrestling that was very much in fashion at the moment, and strangely matched Chadwick's personality - big storylines and drama, with a little it of stage fighting thrown in. Chadwick made it clear, he wanted drama over everything else.

I guess this was, in part, why their booker left. A 'booker' is basically someone who runs and organises the show, he books the wrestlers (or 'actors' as Chadwick kept calling them), who they would fight, when they would fight, and why they were fighting. For the most part the previous booker was a good guy, but I don't feel it's fair to mention him by name, as he left saying 'I don't want to be associated with this pantomime of a wrestling promotion anymore!'.

A few months had gone by, and 2013 had ticked over. The world hadn't ended, much to Chadwick's dismay as that had been his major plot development over the last few months with Pure Entertainment Wrestling (or 'PEW' for short). I felt strangely uneasy the morning Chadwicked phoned me. I wasn't due to be involved with PEW for a few more weeks, as their monthly show PEW Center Stage wasn't until the last week in Janurary.

"I say, Kable, have you ever thought about being a booker."

"Not really, Harry, sir."

I was polite to my elders, always polite. It was a behaviour engrained into me by my parents, you always respected your family and your elders. And the army. But not traffic wardens.

"Well, young man, I think, I say - I think you'd make a great booker." Harry continued. "How about you come and see me this weekend and I'll tell you what you'll be doing. I'll pay your gas - I said I'll pay your gas, plus give you an extra $50 on top of what I usually pay you."

So once a month I'd have my gas paid, and earn $200 for 1 night's work? Well, it was better than a slap in the face. My football coach wasn't too keen on the idea when he heard what I got up to once a month, but it was a hell of a lot less worse than what some of the guys were getting up to (and getting up to with...).

So there I was, an 18 year old Canadian, who grew up in the North-West of American, suddenly at the opposite end of the his adopted country, running a wrestling/theatre show for a guy out of Jamaica who spoke like a cartoon rooster from the 1800's.

Seemingly Harry's drama antics had caused a bigger problem than I had anticipated. When the former booker left PEW a vast majority of the roster left with him. As I'd go on to discover most of the guys were only staying on at PEW as a favour for the former booker, as it was an easy enough gig and paid well - if even they had to put up with some stupid enforced storylines from Harry.

"So you see, Chris, I said - so you see, we're gonna need some new ac-tours for our shows." Harry started to talk.

I had made the 5 hour journey to Lake Charles, where Harry lived and promoted the shows, received the money for the trip straight away (Harry always insisted on paying people before they had even done anything) and tried to gain an idea of what was actually happening.

"Now, these new ac-tours. I don't want no Psychopaths, I said no psychopaaaaaths. No oldy moudly guys, either." Harry talked and talked and talked. There was pretty much no way I was going to be able to get out of being the booker for this strange little wrestling promotion that thought it was a theater company.

I knew a few guys who had stopped by PEW for a show or two as they moved around the country. Really 'green' guys - someone who didn't have much experience (if they were green what was I?!) - that I had said 'Hi' too. I checked through the details that Harry had left (the previous booker kept his own book of details that he took with him), to see if I could find someway to contact these potential new 'ac-tours'. No luck. Harry had nothing written down. This was going to be a long, wasted weekend.

<p><strong>Main Event</strong></p><p> Acid II</p><p> Brendan Idol</p><p> Anders Thunder</p><p> Steel</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Upper Midcard</strong></p><p> Evil Spirit</p><p> Crusher Von Steinberg</p><p> Ernest Youngman</p><p> Zak Attack</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Midcard</strong></p><p> Chris Kable</p><p> Romeo Romaro</p><p> Thomas Morgan</p><p> Canadian Crusher</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Commentary Team</strong></p><p> Samuel Curran</p><p> Phonse Lockett</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Referee</strong></p><p> Alvin Lavin</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Road Agent, Personality, Actor Supreme and Director</strong></p><p> Harry Chadwick</p><p> </p><p> - Harry Chadwick seems like an easy enough person to work for</p><p> - He seems happy with the strange mix of 'ac-tours' on the roster. VERY HAPPY with the good looking chaps from Mexico and Canada</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35023" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center"><p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline">COMING SOON TO A THEATER HALL IN LOUISIANA</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:Georgia"><span style="font-size:18px">The Haunting of Brandon Idol</span></span></p><p> </p><p> <span style="text-decoration:underline">Act I - It All Begin With Random Seedings</span></p><p> </p><p> Romeo Ramaro vs Chris Kable</p><p> Canadian Crusher vs Thomas Morgan</p><p> Ernest Youngman vs Zak Attack</p><p> Brendan Idol vs Crusher Von Steinberg</p><p> Acid II vs Anders Thunder</p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>

• 1 year later...

<p>Romeo Ramaro vs <strong>Chris Kable</strong></p><p>

<strong>Canadian Crusher </strong>vs Thomas Morgan</p><p>

Ernest Youngman vs<strong> Zak Attack</strong></p><p>

Brendan Idol vs <strong>Crusher Von Steinberg</strong></p><p>

<strong>Acid II</strong> vs Anders Thunder</p>

Archived