Wake up the Echoes

Toting a fistful of Super Bowl Rings Charlie Weis bring the expertise to revive a program rich in tradition. Leaving Ty Willingham's West Coast Offense behind Weis will install a more multiple scheme and will utilize the talent he has on hand, so lets take a look at that talent. QB - Windrell Abercrombie (JR). Abercrombie is a tremendous touch passer and at 6'3'' 225 he will be able to stand and deliver in the pocket. Nipping at his heels is sophomore Anthony VanValkenberg. VV doesnt quite have the touch that Abercrombie has but he is a tremendously hard worker and will keep challenging Abercrombie and pushing him for the job. RB - Richard Starkey (SR). Starkey has pretty good speed and good instincts. He is patient, but will explode through the hole. The Irish will need him to gain 1,000 yards to have a successful season. Behind Starkey is junior Bill Edwards who is more of a slasher, but will easily be able to spell Starkey if needed. FB - Secdrick Dieken (JR). He isnt much of a blocking back but he has good pass catching skills and will be utilized accordingly. SE- Chris Diggs (JR). He isnt the biggest guy in the world 5'9'' 193 but he is a good route runner and has good agility. FL - J.R. Keithly (SR). He is more of the prototypical receiver with good height at 6'3'' but is a little thin at 171. He has good agility and is a great leaper. Look for him to be targeted for those fade passes into the endzone. TE - Kieth Curtain (JR). He is a huge target at 6'8'' 239. He is a good run blocker and runs good routes. It is always nice to have a target his size over the middle. LT - Jesse Manumaleuna (JR). He isnt the best run blocker but he will be able to protect the QB's backside very well. LG - William Strong (JR). He is a great run blocker and has the beef at 322 to pave the way for Starkey up the middle. C - Daimon Meggett (JR). Probably the best linemen upfront. He is a tremendous run blocker, and is extremely intelligent. He will have to be the leader on the frontline this season. RG - Andre Johnson (JR). He is a hard worker and is very disciplined. Dont look for him to cost ND too many yards with penalties. He still has to work on his technique some but will be able to do the job. RT - Rusty Davis (FR). He is the weaklink along the frontline, but with a little work he has the potential to become a great lineman in the future. He has adequate pass protection skills at this point, but the run blocking will have to be improved upon. DE - Garil Hammond (SR) - George Jones (FR) At 6'7'' 273 Jones will be a good pass rusher and will be able to bat some balls down at the line. With similar size and a little less skill Hammond will be able to do the same on the other side. DE isnt the strength of this team but they are decent pass rushers. DT - Mel Davis (SO) Chuck Baldwin (SR) -Davis is a good run defender and a good tackler. he is a little undersized at 277 but with his work ethic, he should be able to add the weight. Baldwin is the guy we dont want the offense to run at. With little depth among the DT's Baldwin will have to get the job done, but definately not the type of defender who I will want to have to count on, on 4th and 1. SAM - Stacey Bosseler (SR). Definately the best player on the team. He is just a great tackler, has a nose for the ball and is a relentless worker. He is also good in pass coverage and will be utilized in nickle and dime situations. MIKE - Reese Diamond (SR). Great worker and a good tackler. He is not the greatest at the point of attack which isnt good for a mike backer but he has the speed to go sideline to sideline. WILL - Jeremy McCreary (JR). Like Diamond he is better with the ball going away from him than he is with the ball coming at him. He is a good tackler with a nose for the football as well. CB - Irv Stanley (JR) He is the best player in the defensive backfield. He is a good cover corner with great agility and superb jumping ability. At 6'1'' lok for him to take away the opposing teams go to guy. DeWayne Banks (JR) He is a decent cover guy with good agility. He is a tremendous worker and is very disciplined. Dont look for him to cost us many yards on penalties either. SS - Bob Wisniewski (SO) Great size at 6'4'' 198. He has good instincts, agility and tackling ability. FS - Dave Norton (SR) What he lacks in physical ability, he makes up for in intelligence. He will be a scrappy field general for this year's Irish squad. K - John Hotchkiss (FR). Lets hope I dont need any game winning field goals.

2006 Schedule 1 - @ #25 Michigan State 2 - Georgia Tech 3 - OPEN 4 - #1 Michigan 5 - #6 USC 6 - @ Navy 7 - @ Army 8 - Temple 9 - @ #7 Purdue 10 - OPEN 11 - @ Alabama 12 - Indiana 13 - OPEN 14 - Syracuse 15 - #13 Boston College The schedule is littered with 5 ranked teams, 4 of which are ranked in the top 13. Lets see how those teams are doing once it comes time to play them.

#20 Notre Dame (-13) @ #25 Michigan State [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/notred_170x60.gif[/IMG] AT [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/michst_170x60.gif[/IMG] Offense - Michigan State is led by stud running back Bryant McFadin. He has good speed and good instincts. Let hope he meets out corps of LB's. The Spartan offensive line is pretty weak so I hope I will be able to get to the QB and cause some pressure. Defense - The Spartans are pretty weak in the front 7 but fairly solid in the secondary. I look for Starkey to have a big day to begin the 2006 season.

Notre Dame 33 Michigan State 16 I have mixed emotions after this game. I couldnt get the passing game going, but the defense played pretty well. Richard Starkey turned in a workman like performance carrying the ball 37 times for 115 yards and a TD. Both teams traded INT returns for a TD in the first half, ours was by OLB Reese Diamond. I took a 14-7 lead into the half but the offense sputtered most of the day. 4 Michigan State turnovers is really what helped me, and the fact that they limited McFadin to just 16 yards on 17 carries.

Georgia Tech @ #15 Notre Dame (-16) [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/gatech_170x60.gif[/IMG] AT [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/notred_170x60.gif[/IMG] The Jackets offense is spearheaded by the QB-WR combo of Kevin Esiason and Roy Johnson. Both are seniors and Esiason is intelligent touch passer that is able to tuck the ball and run. Johnson is more of a Santana Moss type of receiver with great agility and good hands. The Jacket defense is lead by senior SS Mike McCready. He has tremendous instincts and will lay the wood on anyone who crosses his path. Look for him to try to shut down the Irish passing attack. My gameplan will be to try to pound my offensive left with the run and hit the flats and deep 3rds with the passing attack. I want to try to stay away from McCready if I can.

I am not sure exactly why this is happening. I have addressed it over on a different forum, but my team has some odd substitutions happening. I will have to check over my formations after the game. None the less Windrell Abercrombie had a great first half going 7-12 for 189 Yards and 2 scores and for some reason my backup also threw 4 passes? Anyway I took a 21-3 halftime lead as the team seems to be firing on all cylinders.

Notre Dame 37 Georgia Tech 24 The 2nd half turned into a track meet. The Georgia Tech offense was able to get the passing game going, but I was able to answer every score. Starkey was able to eat up the Tech defense in the 4th quarter tallying 197 yards and a score on 32 carries, and he also added a TD receiving. Windrell Abercrombie finished with a nice day going 14-21 for 289 Yards 4 TD's and 1 INT. WR Chris Diggs caught 5 balls for 52 yards and 2 scores.

#1 Michigan @ #12 Notre Dame (-5) [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/mich_170x60.gif[/IMG] AT [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/notred_170x60.gif[/IMG] Notre Dame Stadium [IMG]http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/nd/nonsport/facilities/stadium-450w.jpg[/IMG]

One thing that surprises me is that I am the favorite in this game. Michigan is 2-0. They beat Tulane 56-7 and UAB 52-20. They are loaded on offense, they have two tremendous receivers in Don Diamond and Randy Browner. Their RB Nate Collins has speed to burn and has an extra gear, and their offensive line is like all Michigan's O-lines, big and mean. Their only weak spot might be at outside linebacker. Gamplan - I am going to try to get to the edge on these guys and exploit their OLB's, and I am also going to throw the ball to the backs and make those guys cover. I am going to try to grind it out to begin the game, and keep their 3rd ranked offense off the field. Lets see how it goes.

[B]1st Half - random thoughts[/B] I kicked off and held Michigan to a three and out to start the game. Nice start. Richard Starkey capped off a 10 play, 72 yard drive with a 7 yard TD reception. Abercrombie was 4-4 for 42 yards on the drive. It looks like the Irish are pumped for this one !!!! [B]7-0 Irish. [/B] Michigan quickly showed their passing strength to answer our score with one of their own. [B]7-7 6:40 left in the 1st. [/B] This game might be an up and down affair Richard Starkey smashed through the Michigan defense for a 45 yard RD run to give the [B]Irish the lead once again 14-7. [/B] Michigan again answers going right down the field on an 85 yard drive. I am going to have to get something figured out defensively, try to get pressure on the QB or something. [B]14-14 with 14:54 left in the 2nd quarter. [/B] Michigan added a field goal with 5:15 to go in the half [B]17-14 Michigan[/B] A good return and a personal foul against Michigan will give me the ball at their 35. I have a great scoring chance here. Notre Dame ball, Q2, 3-6-MICH21 (03:20) 14-17 Offense: Medium Pass, Set: SingleBack, Play: SB-SE-slants Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-ZoneBlitz QB Windrell Abercrombie sees WR Sam Schulters running the post with a step on the defender and launches the pass. Right on target, and it's snatched out of the air by the Slot WR for the touchdown!ND: Gain of 21 on the play. [B]21-17 ND[/B] I am having a hard time stopping Michigans passing attack. Their QB Andre Johnson is 11-16 for 196 Yards and a TD, they only seem to stop themselves when they run the ball having gained just 60 yards on 23 carries. Other than Starkey's 45 yard TD run he has just 33 yards on 12 carries so the Michigan defense is doing alright there. Abercrombie is 6-11 for 78 Yards and 2 scores so I might try to nickle and dime them a little to get things going the 2nd half. [B]21-17 Notre Dame at the half[/B]

2nd Half I went three and out start the 2nd half, so I am going to give Michigan a chance to take the lead here :mad: Michigan went 61 yards on 6 plays but had to settle for a field goal. They are killing me in total yards but I still have the lead 21-20. I fumbled the kickoff and it was recovered by Michigan and they scored on the very next play. The 2 point conversion was no good so its [B]26-21 Michigan with 7:06 left in the 3rd. [/B] I go three and out and Michigan scored on a 66 yard screen pass. This might get ugly, [B]32-21 Michigan late in the 3rd. [/B] On the very next possession Abercrombie was intercepted and it was returned for a TD :eek: [B]39-21 Michigan[/B] Well after a quick 68 yard TD strike to Sam Schulters its [B]39-27 Michigan after the failed conversion. [/B] [B] 39-27 Michigan at the end of the 3rd[/B] A promising drive ended with another interception at the Michigan 13 yard line :( [B]46-27 Michigan is the final.[/B] Their passing attack and my turnovers were too much to overcome. Michigan outscored me 29-6 in the 2nd half, and Wolverine QB Andre Johnson threw for 377 yards and 3 scores.

#1 USC @ Notre Dame (-5) [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/usc_170x60.gif[/IMG] AT [IMG]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/ncaa/logos/170x60/notred_170x60.gif[/IMG] USC comes into South Bend 4-0 and holding the #1 ranking. USC is led by senior receiver Frank Pitts who has 24 catches for 292 yards and 1 TD through 4 games. [IMG]http://www.sdhoc.com/main/articles/sandieganselsewhere/Buchanonwilliam/Image00075193[/IMG] [B]USC WR Frank Pitts[/B] At first glance this team is not as talented as Michigan was. There offensive line is comparable but this USC team lags behing Michigan at receiver and at QB. My defensive line is banged up with 4 injuries so hopefully USC doesnt plan on slamming the ball down my neck because I might not be able to stop it.

After a defensive stop on SC the Irish marched the ball down the field and converted on a 4th and goal from the 1 to take a [B]7-0 lead midway through the 1st. [/B] USC goes 3 and out on their next possesion and Windrell Abercrombie hits Chris Diggs on a fly pattern for a 43 yard TD on a 3rd and 14. [B]ND takes a 14-0 lead with 2:33 left in the 1st. [/B] The defense turned in a great performance and ND added another field goal before the half to take a [B]17-0 lead to the locker room.[/B] USC forced an ND turnover on the kickoff and makes quick work of the defense. Pitts caught his 5th ball of the afternoon, this time for 6 take bring the score to [B]17-7 ND.[/B] Starkey goes for a 38 yard TD run with 6:59 left in the 3rd, [B]ND takes a 24-7 lead. [/B] [B]24-14 ND after the 3rd[/B] A USC fumble led to a 15 yard TD pass by Abercrombie to J.J. Keithley. [B]31-14 ND[/B] On the next play from scrimmage USC goes 78 yards on the TD strike, to cut the lead to [B]31-21.[/B] They just wont go away!! Starkey adds a 1 yarad TD plunge to keep the throttle down on USC [B]38-21.[/B] USC added a field goal on the next possession to make it 38-24 and for the 3rd time in two weeks I fumbled the kickoff!!! Time to get a new returner in there. USC scored quickly to cut the lead to [B]38-31[/B]but I was able to feed Starkey the ball and grind the clock away from a [B]38-31 win.[/B] It was a tremendous day on offense. I was able to tally 608 total yards. The defense lacked concentration the 2nd half and gave up way too many point in the 2nd half for the 2nd week in a row. [IMG]http://www.mikedesimone.com/mpix98/nddn9.jpg[/IMG] Notre Dame RB Richard Starkey 34 Carries 245 Yards 3 TD's in a 38-31 win over USC

Archived