New Online League - Hardwood Heroes Basketball League

I'm starting up a linked college and pro league using the upcoming FBB 3 for the pro side and FBCB 2010 for the college side. Since it's the first day of March and March Madness is around the corner (as is, I think, the release of the pro game), it seemed like an apropos time to announce the new league.

I've created a complete NCAA Universe for the 1981-82 season with about 98% of the players being real guys (it's something like 4000 players) for the Fast Break College Basketball 2010 sim. It took me literally two years (off and on) to do it.

The idea was that since the 81-82 season was the college debut of a bunch of Hall of Famers (you've probably heard of Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, etc) it would be a great season to start a college league.

The plan going forward is to add a couple hundred real life recruits each season (so that the number is manageable, but we can likely avoid having any fictional players end up in the NBA). The recruits for the first season are already done and if it looks like the league will fly, I'll get started on the next batch of recruits asap.

If you're interested in signing up, head over to http://hhbl.simsportleagues.com and then use the More Info/Sign-Up link to fill out the form which will gather all the info I need to add you to the league forum and, of course, the game.

I'd like to leave the pro sign-ups inactive for the time being, so you'll be able to sign up for the college league only initially. But when the pro game is released, those who've signed up for the college league will get first crack at grabbing an NBA squad.

I've created a complete NCAA Universe for the 1981-82 season with about 98% of the players being real guys (it's something like 4000 players) for the Fast Break College Basketball 2010 sim. It took me literally two years (off and on) to do it.

That sounds amazing. I would love to see you upload this mod for everyone to try. You would definately be living up to your namesake if you did. :D

Also, very nice league website. As soon as I get FBB3 I'll be looking for a league and this will be the first one I check.

That sounds amazing. I would love to see you upload this mod for everyone to try. You would definately be living up to your namesake if you did. :D

Also, very nice league website. As soon as I get FBB3 I'll be looking for a league and this will be the first one I check.

Thanks. The plan is to eventually post the 1981-82 files for others to use for solo play. But I don't want to do that until after the league is up & running (maybe a couple of seasons in). I don't want to be creating competition for the league ;) - at least not initially.

A ton of work did go into this. I just posted a sources page on the site (if you go to the main menu on the HHBL page and hover over the HHBL menu item, it's the second item down). The first item in that dropdown is for the HTML reports, which if you haven't looked at them, includes player pages for all the players.

I only listed a few of the many, many future pro stars that are in the initial file. But here's a list of the 12 Hall of Famers who are in the college league at start:

Charles Barkley

Clyde Drexler

Joe Dumars

Patrick Ewing

Michael Jordan

Karl Malone

Chris Mullin

Hakeem Olajuwon

Ralph Sampson

John Stockton

Dominique Wilkins

James Worthy

There are also a slew of future All-Stars (I won't list them all, but there are a lot and if you look at the 1982-85 NBA Drafts, you'll see a lot of big names in there).

Thanks. The plan is to eventually post the 1981-82 files for others to use for solo play. But I don't want to do that until after the league is up & running (maybe a couple of seasons in). I don't want to be creating competition for the league ;) - at least not initially.

A ton of work did go into this. I just posted a sources page on the site (if you go to the main menu on the HHBL page and hover over the HHBL menu item, it's the second item down). The first item in that dropdown is for the HTML reports, which if you haven't looked at them, includes player pages for all the players.

I was looking through the college players and you are absolutely correct; it's loaded! This is a great thing you did and I'm positive that some people will be buying this game just to play your mod once it's released.

I signed up for the pro league early because I saw that the Knicks were still open and in all my years of playing in FBB leagues I never got the chance to be them so I had to do it. I didn't sign up for the college league but I'm considering it for the future. This league has a lot of promise and I would recommend it to anyone. Any guy who spends two years making a mod has the right kind of dedication to run a sim league.

Once again I would like to thank you for the time you put into getting everything ready for this league. I think it will be a great one!

I was looking through the college players and you are absolutely correct; it's loaded! This is a great thing you did and I'm positive that some people will be buying this game just to play your mod once it's released.

I signed up for the pro league early because I saw that the Knicks were still open and in all my years of playing in FBB leagues I never got the chance to be them so I had to do it. I didn't sign up for the college league but I'm considering it for the future. This league has a lot of promise and I would recommend it to anyone. Any guy who spends two years making a mod has the right kind of dedication to run a sim league.

Once again I would like to thank you for the time you put into getting everything ready for this league. I think it will be a great one!

Yep - 1981-82 was a great year, talent-wise in college hoops.

I'm hoping that once FBB3 is done, I can maybe get Brian to take a look at making it easier to add recruits to the game via a .csv import or something. If that happens, I can release the mod and then recruit classes going forward so that ultimately, someone could play a reasonable facsimile of college basketball over the past 30+ years.

Right now adding recruits is a pretty tedious process (that's why I'm limiting myself to 200-300 per year - I could do more, but I'd need some kind of automated import to make that happen. As it is I have to import them into a dummy game to get their ratings and then go back into the actual league file and enter their ratings by hand - like I said... tedious).

I got your application for the Knicks and have activated your forum account, so you'll be all set once the game is released and the league starts up.

Archived