MACW 1983: WarGames

nice card. surprised to see the Fabs get the win over the Road Warriors (especially by submission?) - they never could get it done in the AWA when those titles were on the line

and this being IRONMAN 3 opening weekend too...gee.

the other shocker was the match rating in the main event!! What happend there? Flair has been a consistent high 90 rating against everyone, and would expect more of the same with Race who he had so many classics with over the years.

enjoying the action even though it is strange seeing so many WWF and AWA guys running around. You just did what Crockett should have done and beat Vince to the punch

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice card. surprised to see the Fabs get the win over the Road Warriors (especially by submission?) - they never could get it done in the AWA when those titles were on the line

and this being IRONMAN 3 opening weekend too...gee.

the other shocker was the match rating in the main event!! What happend there? Flair has been a consistent high 90 rating against everyone, and would expect more of the same with Race who he had so many classics with over the years.

enjoying the action even though it is strange seeing so many WWF and AWA guys running around. You just did what Crockett should have done and beat Vince to the punch

I screwed up booking the match trying to appease Ric Flair to take the lost. Keep Strong and call in the ring does not work well together I am taking. So it was my fault, but don't worry The Great American Bash is coming up and the rematch should be better.

On the WWF they haven't ran one show outside the Tri-State area. Almost all the Promotions have lost their T.V. deals including Georgia, AWA, and WWF which is scaring me a little bit.

I screwed up booking the match trying to appease Ric Flair to take the lost. Keep Strong and call in the ring does not work well together I am taking. So it was my fault, but don't worry The Great American Bash is coming up and the rematch should be better.

On the WWF they haven't ran one show outside the Tri-State area. Almost all the Promotions have lost their T.V. deals including Georgia, AWA, and WWF which is scaring me a little bit.

It was just the keep strong note I'm sure, as both of them should have had enough psychology in their little finger to be able to call in ring.

Keep strong could have held it back some. Open match lets them both shine (and is counter to "keep strong" so you can not use them together). If you use OPEN, you get credits for "good booking" but if you use "keep strong" you get dinged for a poor booking decision. Not sure how much of a hit, but something knocked at least 10 pts off that match result.

Sounds like you need to start a new territory yourself (2nd brand) just to create some competition for yourself. You've about put everyone else out of business

TO CELEBRATE OUR NATION'S 207TH BIRTHDAY WE GIVE YOU THE EVENT OF A LIFETIME JULY 4TH 1983

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_NWA_zps491b7cd0.jpg?t=1367602039

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_GAB_zps7bd5bd2d.jpg?t=1367602099

COMING SOON!!!

Keep strong could have held it back some. Open match lets them both shine (and is counter to "keep strong" so you can not use them together). If you use OPEN, you get credits for "good booking" but if you use "keep strong" you get dinged for a poor booking decision. Not sure how much of a hit, but something knocked at least 10 pts off that match result.

Sounds like you need to start a new territory yourself (2nd brand) just to create some competition for yourself. You've about put everyone else out of business

Everybody is making money but All Japan and All Japan Women's. I gave them $1,000,000 each to keep running. I believe that's because of New Japan doing that too them.

WCCW,JCP,AWA,and GCW are all Cult promotions at this point and time. So I am hoping they can work things out. Problem is their is no promotion leaving their home area but me. Hmmm... I wonder.

NWA MAINEVENT SUNDAY WEEK 4 JUNE 1983

Ric Flair: I have a custom made suit on, alligator shoes, and ten thousand dollar Rolex watch on my arm. Yet I am feeling naked and stripped of my possessions. Because at WrestleWar I was robbed by Harley Race and that Weasel Bobby Heenan. For two very, very long years I carried the most precious prize in this sport around my waist. The match has been signed at the Great American Bash I will face Harley Race for what is rightfully mine. HARLEY RACE I AM COMING FOR YOU AND I WANT MY WORLD TITLE!!!WOOO!!!! Rating 91

Bob Caudle: Strong words from the former World Champion Ric Flair. I think Harley Race is going to have his hands full come the Great American Bash.

John Cornell: I don't think so Bob. I think Harley Race will hold onto the NWA World Championship for a long time to come. Plus it is the first title the Heenan Family has won since coming to the NWA and we both know Bobby Heenan will not let the championship slip through their fingers that quickly.

Bob Caudle: Well let's get to the ring with have the Road Warriors in action and we know they want to get some momentum back after losing at WrestleWar.

Bill Dromo & Brett Sawyer vs The Road Warriors

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, The Road Warriors defeated Brett Sawyer and Bill Dromo in 11:42 when Road Warrior Hawk defeated Bill Dromo by pinfall with a Flying Lariat. Rating 75

NWA U.S. Tag Team Title Match:

Dynamite Kid & Butch Reed vs The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette ©

In a match that had some good action and average heat, The Midnight Express defeated Dynamite Kid and Butch Reed in 12:15 when Bobby Eaton defeated Dynamite Kid by pinfall with an Alabama Jam. The Midnight Express make defence number 4 of their NWA United States Tag Team titles. Rating 75

Bob Caudle: Our next match is for the Television Title. I think it will be a great match.

John Cornell: You got two competitors who would love to use this match to vault them in NWA World Title picture.

[

NWA T.V. Title Match:

Ricky Steamboat vs Tully Blanchard © w/ Elizabeth

In a bout that featured great action and great heat from the audience, Tully Blanchard defeated Ricky Steamboat in 20:20 by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock after interference from Elizabeth. Tully Blanchard makes defence number 10 of his NWA Television title. Rating 79

Bobby Heenan: I give you the one and only the seven time World Heavyweight Champion of Professional Wrestling... Harley Race.

Harley Race:I have climbed the top of this sport for the Seventh time. I have defeated a man who held this title for nearly two years , but now it is finally where it has always belonged around my waist. Tonight I face Wahoo McDaniel a man who has shown he was of the best in this sport for many years. Only Wahoo your going to beat until I can't stand anymore. Ric Flair at the Great American Bash I am going to show you why I am the greatest World Champion this world has ever seen. Rating 91

Rick Rude vs David Von Erich

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, David Von Erich defeated Rick Rude in 6:19 by submission with an Iron Claw. Rating 72

Roddy Piper: Greg Valentine you assumed you could beat me but I prove you wrong and I am no fool, I might be crazy as heel but I am no fool Valentine. Rating 76

Rock "n" Roll Express vs The Russians

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Rock and Roll Express defeated The Russians in 11:57 when Ricky Morton defeated Nikolai Volkoff by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. Rating 81

Dusty Rhodes: Harley Race you want my career. I want to hold that NWA World Heavyweight Title for a third time jack. I want it, I need it, every man in this sport thrives to become the best. I have climbed from the bottom and I have been to the top of the world baby.. Harley Race I am going to tell you this the American Dream is coming to take that title away from you again. Rating 88

Jake Roberts vs Dusty Rhodes

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Dusty Rhodes defeated Jake Roberts in 15:49 by pinfall with a Bionic Elbow. Rating 82

Wahoo McDaniel: It seems like I am the first in line Harley Race. I am the last in line because tonight I am going to be the World Champion. Rating 87

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match:

Wahoo McDaniel vs Harley Race © w/ Bobby Heenan

In a match that had excellent in-ring action and great heat from the audience, Harley Race defeated Wahoo McDaniel in 19:55 by pinfall with a Piledriver. Harley Race makes defence number 1 of his NWA World Heavyweight title. Rating 90

NWA MAINEVENT SUNDAY WEEK 4 JUNE 1983 RATING 88

PWI RADIO BREAKING NEWS

NWA Board of Directors have came to the decision that Tully Blanchard must defend the Television Title against Tommy Rich at the Great American Bash. This has thrown Bobby Heenan into a furious fit of rage because the team Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard was suppose to challenge Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood for the NWA World Tag Team Titles. Jim Crockett Sr. had the following to say on the matter:

Jim Crockett Jr.: The NWA Board of Directors want every title to be on the line at the Great American Bash. So Tully Blanchard will defend his title against Tommy Rich. We think it is a fair deal for the fans and the wrestlers all involved. Arn Anderson will face with a partner of his choosing Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood for the NWA Tag Team Titles.

Bobby Heenan: I am going to sue this company, for breach of contract. I was told this would be different than the AWA on the fly booking was out of the window. Was I ever wrong making Tully Blanchard face the Tennessee Hick who can't even count to ten at the Great American Bash. Now you want Arn Anderson to go after the NWA Tag Team belts with a partner he may or may never have wrestled with before. Well you know what I got somebody in mind you humanoids are going to be very surprised when he shows up at the Greensboro Coliseum.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_NWA_zps491b7cd0.jpg?t=1367602039

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_GAB_zps7bd5bd2d.jpg?t=1367602099

THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH 1983 CARD

NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH:

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs Harley Race ©w/Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH:

Arn Anderson & ??? vs Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood ©

NWA UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH:

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs Rowdy Roddy Piper ©

NWA TELVISION TITLE MATCH:

"Wildfire" Tommy Rich vs Tully Blanchard ©w/ Elizabeth

NWA UNITED STATES TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH:

The Fabulous Ones vs The Midnight Express ©w/ Jim Cornette

Texas Bullrope Match:

Dusty Rhodes vs Terry Funk

Boot Camp Match:

Sgt.Slaughter vs Ivan Koloff w/ Gary Hart

The Rock "n" Roll Express vs Hart Foundation w/ Jimmy Hart

Junkyard Dog vs Jimmy Garvin w/ Sunshine

NWA Six Man Tag Team Title Match Steel Cage:

The Von Erichs vs The Freebirds©

Hulk Hogan vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Bobby Fulton & Koko Ware vs The Road Warriors

Tito Santana vs Curt Henning w/ Bobby Heenan

Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo vs The Islanders w/ Lou Albano

Butch Reed vs Nick Bockwinkel w/ Bobby Heenan

Predictions are welcomed.

Who has the match of the night? Who is Arn Anderson's mystery partner? The winner of the prediction contest gets to name the next challenger for NWA World Heavyweight Title and NWA World Tag Team Titles.

Race having JUST picked up the belt, he should get to run with it for a little while.

Texas Bullrope Match:

Boot Camp Match:

Never was a fan of either man, but I like Garvin a little bit more.

Hogan isn't a powerhouse in the NWA like he was in the WWF, so Jake can get a win.

Who has the match of the night? Dusty vs Funk could be a dark horse for this, but I'm gonna go for Piper vs Valentine.

Who is Arn Anderson's mystery partner? Just trying to think of names who could be around who you don't already have wrestling on this show lol... I'll go with *edited answer* Andre.

Alright because of Beejus I am going to give a list of wresters who I do not have under contract minus one. That minus one is Arn Anderson's partner.

Andre the Giant

Abdullah the Butcher

Big John Studd

Bruiser Brody

Chris Adams

Gino Hernandez

Ted Dibiase

Stan Hansen

Bob Backlund

Don Muraco

Jimmy Snuka

Adrian Adonis

Dick Murdoch

Ole Anderson

Masked Superstar

Superstar Billy Graham

The Spoiler

Assassin 1#

Larry Zbyszko

Rick Martel

Jesse Ventura

Ken Patera

Blackjack Mulligan

Kevin Sullivan

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Bobby Duncum

Jerry Lawler

Randy Savage

Austin Idol

Bill Dundee

Dutch Mantel

Buddy Rose

Billy Jack Haynes

Kamala

Big Daddy

They are a lot more stars but this is a list of some of the biggest names in the business at the time. One of these guys is Arn's partner can you guess which one?

Race needs to hold the title until Starcade. Where are Orton and Slater to attack Flair and collect Race's bounty money - giving Ric a nice feud until November.

Mr Olympia Jerry Stubbs of course. You said big star. They were a well-oiled machine in the SECW (even beat the team of Ron Fuller and Andre the Giant, so with Heenan's guidance, they should easily become world tag champs)

DQ/COR to set up a lumberjack or some other special rematch

they beat the Road Warriors - this would be a good chance for them to shine on the national stage.

Texas Bullrope Match:

Boot Camp Match:

this ain't Texas. Freebirds can be the better team to carry you since they can develop so many rivals. Von Erichs need to branch out and find someone new to feud with and try to get over in the Carolinas.

agree Hogan is not as big a deal here. Good chance Snake to get a marquee win on his resume and move into US title contention

let's go with a slight upset here. Nick could lose to Reed since there is no title on the line. Then if you put the belt on Nick later, a rematch would have more meaning. Either man would be a good challenger for Race.

Who has the match of the night?Flair-Race -- I think they worked out the kinks and ready to show the world just what kind of match they can have together.

Who is Arn Anderson's mystery partner? See above, Jerry Stubbs

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_NWA_zps491b7cd0.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_GAB_zps7bd5bd2d.jpg

Bob Caudle:These fans are going crazy tonight. We have a great day of music.

John Cornell: Yes, Bob we have had Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe, Hank Williams Jr., and now before we start the show a song from Bruce Springsteen with a new song of his:

Gordon Solie: That was a great performance from Mister Springsteen. We have lot of great action and a card that will be considered unbelievable to some.

Bob Caudle: Let's get to the ring to start the Great American Bash.

In a match that had some good action and decent crowd heat, The Road Warriors defeated Fulton & Birdman in 6:02 when Road Warrior Animal defeated Koko B. Ware by pinfall with a Power Bomb. Rating 75

Bob Caudle:The Road Warriors looked good out now. Sooner or later they will challenge the World Tag Team Champions.

Gordon Solie: I must agree with you Bob. This should be a night we never forget.

Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo vs The Islanders

In a bout that featured great action and decent crowd heat, The U.S. Express defeated The Islanders in 12:25 when Barry Windham defeated Tonga by pinfall with a Flying Lariat. Rating 83

Tito Santana vs Curt Henning

In a bout that featured great action and decent crowd heat, Tito Santana defeated Curt Hennig in 12:14 by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock. Rating 81

NWA U.S. TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

The Fabulous Ones vs Midnight Express ©

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, The Midnight Express defeated The Fabulous Ones in 15:44 when Bobby Eaton defeated Stan Lane by pinfall with an Alabama Jam. The Midnight Express make defence number 5 of their NWA United States Tag Team titles. Rating 84

The Rock "n" Roll Express vs THe Hart Foundation

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Rock and Roll Express defeated The Hart Foundation in 17:46 when Robert Gibson defeated Jim Neidhart by pinfall with a Rocker Dropper. Rating 90

John Cornell: Something tells me that the Hart Foundation might of lost this match but, the tide may turn for this team here soon.

Bob Caudle: They keep running into the Rock "n" Roll Express I have my doubts.

In a match that had some good action and decent crowd heat, Jimmy Garvin defeated Junkyard Dog in 19:38 by pinfall with a 911. Rating 77

In a bout that featured great action with decent crowd heat, Nick Bockwinkel defeated Butch Reed in 20:56 by pinfall with a Piledriver. Rating 83

Jake Roberts vs Hulk Hogan

In a bout that featured great action with little crowd heat, Jake Roberts defeated Hulk Hogan in 19:38 by pinfall. Rating 86

After the match Jake Roberts goes to the corner and picks up the burlap sack that holds Damien. A wicked smile comes across his face as he lays the snake on top of Hogan chests. It slithers wrapping itself around Hulk Hogan's neck. Tommy Young tells Jake Roberts to remove the snake. It tightens it grip as the Hulkster life is being squeezed out of him. Jake grabs Damien and pulls him off before he can kill Hulk. The Hulkster is barely getting his bearings and holding his throat. Rating 75

Bootcamp Match:

Sgt.Slaughter vs Ivan Koloff w/Gary Hart

In a bout that featured great action and good heat, Ivan Koloff defeated Sgt. Slaughter in 19:33 by pinfall with a Russian Sickle. Rating 80

Texas Bullrope Match:

In a match that had excellent in-ring action and a good crowd, Dusty Rhodes defeated Terry Funk in a 1 vs 1 Bullrope match in 22:45 when Dusty Rhodes was the first to touch all the corners. Rating 78

They Don't Click one of the most famous feuds in wrestling and they don't click against each other.

The Von Erichs vs The Freebirds ©

In a bout that featured great action but not much in the way of heat, The Von Erichs (David Von Erich, Kerry Von Erich and Kevin Von Erich) defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Buddy Roberts, Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy) in a 3 vs 3 Steel Cage match in 21:40 when David Von Erich defeated Buddy Roberts by submission with an Iron Claw. David Von Erich and Kevin & Kerry Von Erich win the NWA World Six-Man Tag Team titles. Rating 78

NWA Television Title Match:

Tommy Rich vs Tully Blanchard© w/ Elizabeth In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Tommy Rich defeated Tully Blanchard in 22:03 by pinfall with a Piledriver. Tommy Rich wins the NWA Television title. Rating 80

Tommy Rich is celebrating his victory when out from the crowd comes a man wearing a black sweat pants and a black hood hits the ring. He viciously attacks the new champion. He pulls off the hood to revealing himself as Buzz Sawyer. Rating 73

John Cornell:What in the hell is he doing here!!??!! He has no contract with Jim Crockett Promotions.

Bob Caudle: I think Gordon and John the feud that has been raging down in Atlanta has made it here to the Carolinas.

Gordon Solie: I have seen this feud unfold down in Atlanta with my own eyes. I think a new chapter in this bloody war they have been waging is about to have a new chapter written.

NWA United States Title Match:

Greg Valentine vs Roddy Piper ©

In a superb bout that had great wrestling and a sizzling crowd, Greg Valentine defeated Roddy Piper in 19:28 when the match was stopped because Roddy Piper was so badly beaten and bloody. Greg Valentine wins the NWA United States Heavyweight title. Rating 88

Bob Caudle: That may have been one of the most brutal matches I have ever seen my life, Roddy Piper may never be the same.

John Cornell: The doctors are in the back trying to check his ear out it may have been damaged severally by Greg Valentine. Who would not stop slamming his fist in his ear even after the match.

Gordon Solie: I known Piper for many years I don't know if he is going to be the same man after that brutal encounter.

Bob Caudle: Well here it is a match that many people have been wanting to see. Bobby Heenan has said his mystery partner for Arn Anderson will shock the wrestling world.

Gordon Solie: I don't really see who he could bring in this late and still think he can pull of the win here tonight.

John Cornell: Well here comes Bobby Heenan down to the ring. So let's see who he announces.

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan" I got to thinking when the promoters of the NWA decided to screw me , Arn Anderson, and Tully Blanchard by taking him out of this match just a couple of days ago. Then that two bit country pumpkin beats Tully Blanchard for the title tonight. Trust me that turns my stomach. Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood tonight you will be facing one man who has been hounding you for that world tag team titles. Another who is one of the greatest tag team specialist in the history of this sport. I give you the Minnesota Wrecking Crew. Arn Anderson and Ole Anderson. http://youtu.be/OGPD0ZBiMs0

NWA World Tag Team Title Match:

Arn Anderson & Ole Anderson w/ Bobby Heenan vs Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood ©

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Minnesota Wrecking Crew defeated Steamboat & Youngblood in 19:14 when Ole Anderson defeated Jay Youngblood by submission. Minnesota Wrecking Crew win the NWA World Tag Team titles. Rating 89

John Cornell: The Minnesota Wrecking Crew is back in Jim Crockett Promotions and the new NWA World Tag Team Champions.

Bob Caudle: Many fans here in the Carolinas and Georgia remember how dangerous and brutal Ole and Gene Anderson were for years. Now the Andersons have came back together to terrorize the NWA once more.

Gordon Solie: Indeed Bob very dark times may be ahead for the NWA especially with Bobby Heenan managing the Andersons.

Bob Caudle: Well Bobby Heenan doesn't have long to celebrate because the Main Event is up next and it should be a classic.

Ric Flair vs Harley Race © w/ Bobby Heenan

In a superb bout that had great wrestling and a sizzling crowd, Harley Race drew with Ric Flair in 45:00 when the time limit expired. Rating 97

THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH Rating 97 PPV Buyrate 1.06

Prediction Contest

Olympia: 7/15 Match of the Night Winner.

Beejus: 8/15

Alright to make this fair. Olympia since you won the Match of the Night you get to choose who Harley Race faces at the next PPV. Ric Flair is not eligible for storyline purposes.

Beejus you get to choose who is the next challengers for NWA World Tag Team Champions will be at the PPV.

NWA MAINEVENT SUNDAY WEEK 1 JULY 1983

Bob Caudle: Fans if you missed The Great American Bash it will be released on home video on July 31st. Pre order your copy today because it is must buy for any wrestling fan.

Gordon Solie:Great night of action we have in store for you folks. Let's got to the ring and our first match of the night.

Kerry & Kevin Von Erich vs The Hart Foundation w/ Jimmy Hart

In a bout that featured great action but not much in the way of heat, Kevin & Kerry Von Erich defeated The Hart Foundation in 15:28 when Kerry Von Erich defeated Jim Neidhart by submission with an Iron Claw. Rating 78

Kevin Von Erich: I want everyone to know that after that grueling match with the Fabulous Freebirds.. That Von Erichs have decided this feud isn't getting us anywhere. Blood has spilled from one of the United States to the other from shining sea to shining sea. We want to move on Freebirds that's it.

Kerry Von Erich: Their a lot of great tag teams here in the NWA. Me and brother Kevin think we are a pretty good tag team. Ole Anderson and Arn Anderson were going to lay the challenge down. Were coming for the NWA World Tag Team Titles. They say the Andersons are known to be great tag team wrestlers. When the Von Erichs set their minds to something Andersons we accomplish the goal and the goal is to become NWA World Tag Team Champions.. Rating 64

NWA United States Tag Team Title Match:

Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood vs The Midnight Express © w/ Jim Cornette

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, The Midnight Express defeated Steamboat & Youngblood in 19:37 when Bobby Eaton defeated Jay Youngblood by pinfall with an Alabama Jam. The Midnight Express make defence number 6 of their NWA United States Tag Team titles. Rating 93

The Rock "n" Roll Express vs The Fabulous Freebirds

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, The Fabulous Freebirds defeated Rock and Roll Express in 15:59 when Michael Hayes defeated Ricky Morton by submission. Rating 88

Harley Race: I didn't think there was anything on the face of the Earth. That would ever push me to do what I am going to do right now. Flair you have pushed me as far as your going to push me. Right here is 25,000 dollars and it goes to any human being that can eliminate Ric Flair from wrestling. Take a look at it Gary Hart and your whole entourage of people. The Funks, Greg Valentine, Dick Slater, Bob Orton Jr., King Kong Bundy, Jake Roberts. The names, the lists, goes on and on. ANY HUMAN BEING THAT CAN ELIMINATE RIC FLAIR FOR ME. HAS GOT 25,000 DOLLARS CASH. I WILL GIVE IT TO ANY LIVING HUMAN BEING. TERRY FUNK YOU ARE WORLD'S CHAMPION YOU TOOK THE BELT FROM ME. YOUR THE MAN YOU CAN DO IT. It's here for you, come and get it please. Somebody take the damn money. I want rid of Flair!!! Rating 97

NWA TELEVISION TITLE MATCH:

Ivan Koloff w/ Gary Hart vs Tommy Rich ©

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Tommy Rich defeated Ivan Koloff in 11:52 by pinfall with a Piledriver. Tommy Rich makes defence number 1 of his NWA Television title. Rating 73

Roddy Piper: The doctors will not clear me to wrestle. They have told me I am all screwed up in the head right now. {The camera goes to wider view and you can see Piper is holding a glass bottle.} My balance is all thrown out of whack after what you did. {Piper shatters the bottle against his forehead blood begins to flow steadily down his face.} I told them doctors I have always been crazy, it's the only thing that keeps me from going insane. Greg Valentine!! When I get back I am going to make you bleed!!! I am going to put you to sleep forever. Greg Valentine!!!! Hehehehehe be afraid...be very afraid because your going to pay the piper. Rating 1000

Bob Caudle: I have never seen Piper that off the wall before, have you Gordon?

Gordon Solie: I have seen Piper do some crazy things but, I think what Valentine did to him at the Great American Bash has pushed him over the cliff he danced on so recklessly.

Bob Caudle: The question is will he ever be the same man?

Brad Armstong & Scott Casey vs Road Warriors w/ Paul Ellering

In a match that had some good action but non-existent crowd heat, The Road Warriors defeated Brad Armstrong and Scott Casey in 11:45 when Road Warrior Animal defeated Brad Armstrong by pinfall with a Top Rope Powerslam. Rating 75

Bobby Heenan: Hehehehe. I told you... I told you... I am a genius. I went and brought one of the toughest and roughest men in this business to beat Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood. I don't like Ole Anderson and this man knows it , but you see we have common goals. One was to end the reign of the former NWA World Tag Team Champions we accomplish that goal.

Arn Anderson: I was sitting in the back earlier. When I heard the Von Erichs challenge me and my brother Ole to a match. We ain't ever back down from a fight and we are not starting now.

Ole Anderson: Blood is thicker than water. Arn and Gene called a couple of days ago. Gene said I know you and Bobby Heenan don't get along, but Arn needs you up here. Plus I get a chance to end Dusty Rhodes career. I have been trying to put you out of the business for years Rhodes and Bobby Heenan has promise me we will end your career. Von Erichs your asking to meet well oiled machine. The next incarnation of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew an younger and meaner version. Rating 78

Hulk Hogan: You know something I laid on the mat feeling that python squeezing the life out of me. I begged God to not let my life end like this.. Jake "The Snake" Roberts the Hulkster has been dragging his feet since I entered the NWA. My mind wasn't really in the game. As I laid their I saw my path to the gold. Jake "The Snake" Roberts your the first trial of mine that I must overcome to become the NWA United States Heavyweight Champion and the number one contender to NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Rating 76

Barry Windham vs The Iron Sheik w/ Gary Hart

In a bout that featured great action but not much in the way of heat, Barry Windham defeated The Iron Sheik in 11:39 by pinfall with a Flying Lariat. Rating 80

Tommy Rich: Tully Blanchard look what I got here the Television Title. I have been here in Jim Crockett Promotions for awhile now. I have battled Ric Flair for NWA World Title. I have battled Greg Valentine for the United States Heavyweight Title. Each time I came up short losing just by a hair. You know what Tully Blanchard I didn't come up short against you at the Great American Bash. So when you want to try take this title back come and get it. Buzz Sawyer... this is far from being over and we both know it. Rating 82

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match:

Tito Santana vs Harley Race © w/ Bobby Heenan

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Harley Race defeated Tito Santana in 19:43 by pinfall with a Piledriver. Harley Race makes defence number 3 of his NWA World Heavyweight title. Rating 86

As Harley Race is celebrating his victory Ric Flair comes to the ring and the two men begin to brawl as the show fades to black. Rating 100

NWA MAINEVENT SUNDAY WEEK 1 JULY 1983 RATING 88

NWA MAINEVENT SUNDAY WEEK 2 JULY 1983

Terry Funk: $25,000 dollars is on your head Ric Flair. I don't too much like you Harley Race, but I don't like Ric Flair even money. So I will take your money and that damn whining silver spoon fed Nature Girl I am going to end your career. Rating 80

Bob Caudle: Very strong words from Terry Funk.

Gordon Solie: Yes, indeed Terry Funk is a very dangerous man and even more so when he sets his mind to do something.

Bob Caudle: Well fans, we have a good show for you tonight. So let's get to our first match of the night.

The Malenko Brothers vs Rock "n" Roll Express

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Rock and Roll Express defeated Malenko Brothers in 11:41 when Ricky Morton defeated Joe Malenko by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. Rating 81

Koko Ware & Bobby Fulton vs Midnight Express © w/ Jim Cornette

In a bout that featured great action and average heat, The Midnight Express defeated Fulton & Birdman in 11:40 when Bobby Eaton defeated Bobby Fulton by pinfall with an Alabama Jam. The Midnight Express make defence number 7 of their NWA United States Tag Team titles. Rating 80

Jim Cornette: You know travesty happened last week? We beat Steamboat and Youngblood but, they had lost the belts at the Great American Bash. Andersons right now were on common ground but, we will be coming for them belts sooner or later. Rock "n" Roll Express you ain't been the same since you lost the belts. Fabulous Ones your just gliding in the darkness trying to find a way to get these belts back. Hart Foundation and Jimmy Hart your poor tag team ain't got chance in hell to move up the ranks. The Islanders well your stuck in rut like every other tag team minus the Midnight Express. We are the best in this business Loverboy Dennis Condrey and Beautiful Bobby Eaton. Road Warriors, Von Erichs, and the Freebirds were the greatest tag team in this sport so you want a shot come and get it. Will show you want the Midnight Express is all about. Rating 85

Barry Windham vs King Kong Bundy

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Barry Windham defeated King Kong Bundy in 12:13 by pinfall with a Superplex. Rating 80

Kerry & Kevin Von Erich vs Road Warriors

In a bout that featured great action and average heat, Kevin & Kerry Von Erich defeated The Road Warriors in 11:44 when Kerry Von Erich defeated Road Warrior Hawk by submission with an Iron Claw. Rating 77

Bob Caudle: That was a good match the Von Erich boys seem to be trying to climb the ladder.

Gordon Solie: Well the Road Warriors are trying to build a reputation but losing to the Von Erichs and Fabulous Ones is not helping them. It seems their missing something. I...

Bob Caudle: Sorry to cut you off Gordon but we have some kind of commotion in the back in one of the hallways.

Terry Funk is attacking Ric Flair using his branding iron to inflict as much damage as possible to him. Officials finally run off Terry Funk but you can see damage was done to Flair as blood is streaming from his forehead. Rating 89

Ric Flair: Let's get this straight Harley Race you put a bounty on my head. Well let me tell you this wanna be bounty hunters and Harley Race it's going to be a cold day in hell before you can put me down in the ground. I am coming for that ten pounds of gold. If any man stands my way their going wish they never did. Rating 96

Kerry Von Erich: Andersons they say the Road Warriors are the closet thing to fighting the real Anderson Brothers. Well we just showed we can beat them pretty damn good.

Kevin Von Erich: The World Tag Team Titles will be around our waists so Andersons stop your talking and sign on the dotted line. Rating 72

Bob Caudle: Well talking about the Minnesota Wrecking Crew they are up next against Junkyard Dog and Butch Reed.

NWA World Tag Team Title Match:

Junkyard Dog & Butch Reed vs The Minnesota Wrecking Crew ©

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Minnesota Wrecking Crew defeated Butch Reed and Junkyard Dog in 15:53 when Arn Anderson defeated Junkyard Dog by submission. Minnesota Wrecking Crew make defence number 1 of their NWA World Tag Team titles. Rating 76

Dusty Rhodes: Let be known to the world today.. Harley Race it is time that we rumble down in the arenas to see truly who is the greatest. I said before and I will say it again Ali versus Frazier don't hold a candle to The American Dream versus "Handsome" Harley Race for that coveted NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Your running from the Nature Boy and running straight into the American Dream. They going to be partying in the streets when I become three time.. I say it again.. three time World Heavyweight Champion daddy. Rating 99

The Iron Sheik vs Dusty Rhodes

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Dusty Rhodes defeated The Iron Sheik in 16:09 by pinfall with a Bionic Elbow. Rating 82

Greg Valentine: Piper if you think you can bust a beer bottle over your head and frighten me. You got another thing coming you skirt wearing sissy. Next time we meet I am going to end your wrestling career. Rating 77

Bob Caudle: Well our main event is next it will be the young Bret Hart with his manager Jimmy Hart going against Ric Flair.

Gordon Solie: I really don't believe Ric Flair is at hundred percent. I think he should of requested to be pulled from this match tonight.

Bob Caudle: We both have known Ric Flair for a long time. We know he doesn't have an ounce of quit in his body.

Bret Hart vs Ric Flair

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Ric Flair defeated Bret Hart in 18:08 by submission. Rating 91

After the match Ric Flair is walking down the aisle when Curt Henning blindsides him. Beating down Ric Flair as the show ends. Rating 73

NWA MAINEVENT SUNDAY WEEK 2 JULY 1983 RATING 92

PWI RADIO BREAKING NEWS

Vince McMahon has made some headlines of late. It seems Vince is tired of sitting by and watching Jim Crockett Promotions and the NWA as whole grow stronger. WWF first move was to release George Scott of his hold on the booking side of things. Vince has taken the booking duties over. Randy Savage, Paul Orndorff, and Austin Idol are the three major signings by the WWF plus they are to begin running a weekly event on Saturdays called Saturday Night's Main Event. More news on the happenings of the WWF as they come in.

NWA MAIN EVENT SUNDAY WEEK 3 JULY 1983

Bob Caudle: Welcome fans I am Bob Caudle with my co host Gordon Solie. Tonight is a big night here on NWA Main Event.

Gordon Solie: I must agree with you Bob, it is a huge night one that you don't want to miss. Everyone is getting ready for the Clash of Champions coming in August.

Bob Caudle: Well we all know Jim Crockett with every show is trying to top the last show. So Clash of Champions should be amazing event. Let's gets to the ring and our first match of the night.

Dynamite Kid & Tom Pritchard vs The Hart Foundation

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, The Hart Foundation defeated Dynamite Kid and Tom Prichard in 12:05 when Bret Hart defeated Tom Prichard by submission with a Sharpshooter. Rating 63

Bob Caudle: Some good action in that match. I think The Hart Foundation took exception to what Jim Cornette had to say last week.

Gordon Solie: I believe every tag team took exception to them remarks. He pretty much called out the whole tag team division.

The Fabulous Ones vs The Road Warriors

In a match that had some good action and average heat, The Road Warriors defeated The Fabulous Ones in 11:56 when Road Warrior Animal defeated Steve Keirn by pinfall with a Power Bomb. Rating 79

Harley Race: Ric Flair your the hunted now. Every man is coming after you. Chasing you down to get a hold of that bounty on your head. Soon you will never be able to wrestle. At Clash of Champions Dusty Rhodes you will get your shot. Only their is stipulation you see to this match. I have lost count how many times we have fought over this Ten Pounds of Gold. You got one shot Dusty and that's it, because after Clash of Champions you will never be able to challenge me for this title again. Let me clarify it for simple minded people out there, American Dream you will never be able to challenge me for this World Championship again as long as I am Champion. Rating 98

Bob Caudle: Gordon, do you really think Dusty will agree to such a stipulation?

Gordon Solie: I have known Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race for many years. I have witness many of their great matches over that time. I think Dusty will do it just so he can become World Champion once again.

Bob Caudle: Well Dusty will be back next week so will have to wait for his answer until next week.

Gordon Solie: Well next we have a rematch from The Great American Bash. The Minnesota Wrecking Crew defending against Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood.

Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood vs The Andersons ©

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Minnesota Wrecking Crew defeated Steamboat & Youngblood in 19:58 when Ole Anderson defeated Ricky Steamboat by pinfall. Minnesota Wrecking Crew make defence number 2 of their NWA World Tag Team titles Rating 81

Ric Flair is walking down that hallway when the Funks come out of nowhere bashing him with steel chairs. It takes a few minutes before officials can get the Funks to stop beating the hell out of Ric Flair. Rating 63

NWA U.S. TITLE MATCH:

Tito Santana vs Greg Valentine ©

In a bout that featured great action and great heat from the audience, Greg Valentine defeated Tito Santana in 18:03 by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock after blatantly cheating. Greg Valentine makes defence number 1 of his NWA United States Heavyweight title. Rating 78

After the match Greg Valentine begins trying to break Tito Santana's leg. mercilessly stomping down on it. When Roddy Piper hits the ring and Piper and Valentine just throwing wild punches at one another. Rating 58

Roddy Piper: Greg Valentine come Clash of Champions I am taking my title back. Rating 59

Ric Flair: You see that. I can't even walk out of my own house without getting attacked. Harley Race one of these days I will get you back in that ring and Funks, Curt Henning and who ever else wants to come after me... Wait a minute what the hell do you want?

David Von Erich comes in view of the cameras and takes the microphone.

David Von Erich: Pay back is a bitch isn't Ric. You have set their and put out bounties on all the Von Erich brothers. On Jerry Lawler down in Tennessee. Even one man who always had your back no matter what you did Blackjack Mulligan.

Ric Flair: If your out here to insult me I rather...

David holds his hands up gesturing he doesn't want any trouble.

David Von Erich: I have been watching for the last couple of weeks. I talked to my brothers and I talked to my dad. Flair rolls his eyes and shakes his head. They don't like this idea and they think I am about to make a mistake. I hate Harley Race more than I hate you Flair. I still have a score to settle with them rotten Funks for the way they treated me down in Florida. So what I am trying to say is I got your back if you got mine.

David holds his hand out for Flair to shake it. Flair looks hesitant.

Ric Flair: What is the catch David? I know with you Von Erich boys their is always an catch.

David Von Erich: David smiles a little Well after you beat Harley Race for the World Title I want a shot at that Ten Pounds of Gold.

Ric Flair reaches out and shakes David's hand.

Ric Flair: You got yourself a deal. WOOO!!!! Rating 85

Bob Caudle: I never thought I see the day. That an Von Erich would team up with Ric Flair.

Gordon Solie: I was their in Florida when David was turned on by the Funks. They left him in the ring bloody and I think he has never forgave them for that. It will be very interesting to see where this leads too in the coming weeks to follow.

Tully Blanchard: You know Tommy Rich it was fluke that you beat me for that title. Just like it was a fluke they you beat Harley Race for the World Title. Finally I get a returned match so Rich I hope you liked holding that title because tonight is the last time you will ever hold the Television Title. Rating 81

Tully Blanchard w/ Elizabeth vs Tommy Rich ©

In a bout that featured great action and great heat from the audience, Tully Blanchard defeated Tommy Rich in 17:40 by pinfall . Buzz Sawyer came down to the ring and hit Tommy Rich with the T.V. Title letting Tully Blanchard win the NWA Television title. Rating 79

Bob Caudle: That was not right Tommy had the match won. Buzz Sawyer came out of the stands again to ruin a great match.

Gordon Solie: The hate these two men have for each other is undeniable. I don't know how this war will end but I know it will be bloody.

Buzz Sawyer:Wildfire let me tell something. You been hiding from MadDog for too long. I am coming for you and I promise I will end your career when I am done with you. Rating 64

Hulk Hogan vs Harley Race © w/ Bobby Heenan

In a match that had a fantastic crowd and great wrestling action, Harley Race defeated Hulk Hogan in 20:44 by pinfall with a Piledriver. Harley Race makes defence number 4 of his NWA World Heavyweight title. Rating 89

NWA MAINEVENT SUNDAY WEEK 3 JULY 1983 Rating 85

JCP Head Quarters Charlotte, NC

Jim Crockett Jr. What the hell does Vince McMahon have up his sleeve? Why do I believe you had something to do to help him out?

John Cornell:I roll my eyes and take a deep breath What you don't think I am upset we lost Randy Savage to him? I mean I had just offered him a contract and Vince signs him to a written deal.

Johnny Valentine: Jim, Vince is a cunning son of bitch. It looks like he is striking out at Memphis and AWA . He is being careful not touching any of our guys.

Jim Crockett Jr.: Damn it I am worried he will go after Harley. He is not signed to written deal. If you didn't screw shit up on the last contract we have him on written.

John Cornell: Harley is loyal plus we gave him the World Title. He knows what we are doing and he won't screw us over the Title or Flair. We have the best roster in the world. Vince knows this and will not dare mess with us at this point time.

Jim Crockett Jr.: Pro Wrestling Illustrated claims he had a better show than us. 86 to our 85.

Johnny Valentine: That's a bullshit rating. David Sammartino defeating Randy Savage garnered 35 rating. They had two good matches on the whole show. They had twelve matches on the whole card Jim and only two of them were good. Come on now all three of us know we were putting on better shows than that at the beginning of the year.

John Cornell: The only match that I would of paid to seen was Masked Superstar against Bob Backlund. I rather be worried about what Memphis is doing. They are putting on better shows or just as good of shows as the AWA.

Jim Crockett Jr.: Remind me what is a good show to you?

John Cornell: Anything rated 70 or higher. Memphis has had 35 events with a 70 or higher rating. AWA 43 events with 70 or higher. WWF has had 26 events with 70 or higher. World Class 34 events with 70 or higher, but they have only ran 34 events as well.

Jim Crockett Jr.: Damn your telling me that Memphis does better shows than Vince? How many events have we had on your scale?

John Cornell: Well like World Class we have only ran 34 events so were 34 out of 34. Our lowest show was a 76 to be honest. If you want to be honest yes Memphis is doing better shows than the WWF.

Jim Crockett Jr.: So what are your plans to deal with Vince?

John Cornell: I think we have been proactive enough, let set back see what Vince has up his sleeve.

nice backstage segment talking about the coming war with WWF. Maybe instead of # of shows, include a percentage of shows to be a better barometer? And if so many hit the bar of 70, maybe its time to raise the bar to at least 75.

Flair teaming with Von Erich!!! That's bound to lead to trouble. But what better way to help get the Von Erichs some traction in the Carolinas!! Knowing that David used to call himself David Funk when he allied with Dory should give Flair something to be concerned with

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_NWAMainEvent_zps7c825986.jpg?t=1367949673

SUNDAY WEEK 4 JULY 1983

Bob Caudle: Welcome fans to NWA Main Event!! We have a great card in store for you tonight.

Gordon Solie: Yes we do Bob, Tully Blanchard against Ricky Steamboat in non- title match plus Midnight Express with Jim Cornette will be in action against Junkyard Dog and Butch Reed. First we have this interview taped earlier today from Ric Flair and David Von Erich.

Ric Flair:WOOO!!! The Nature Boy and the Pride of Texas will be at Clash of Champions for the first time ever going against dirty no good cutthroats the Funk Brothers. You have tried for the last couple of weeks to put me out and you still ain't got the job done. Clash of Champions me and David are going to take you out of action for a long time. WOOO!!!

David Von Erich: As I wrestle around this country everybody keeps asking me the same question. Why David Why? I tell you Dory Funk you were like a father to me. You turned your back on me down in Florida. You want to end Ric Flair's career well you got to go through me first.

Ric Flair: Harley Race... I haven't forgotten you we only just begun.WOOO!!! Rating 84

Bobby Heenan: Dusty Rhodes your going to learn tonight to get to Harley Race. Your going to have to go against some of the toughest and meanest men starting tonight.

Stan Hansen: I am the meanest, roughest, toughest S.O.B. from Texas that the world has ever seen. Dusty Rhodes I am not going in this match to win. No I am going into this match to end your career. So you never face Harley Race or any man again. Rating 84

Bob Caudle: Stan Hansen is a man to be feared that is for sure Gordon.

Gordon Solie: I agree with you hundred percent. I have seen the battles these men have had it should be a very interesting match to say the least.

King Kong Bundy vs Hulk Hogan

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Hulk Hogan defeated King Kong Bundy in 7:33 by pinfall with an Axe Bomber. Rating 81

Bob Caudle: That was a good showing form Hulk Hogan and King Kong Bundy.

Gordon Solie: Indeed, it was something tells me big things can be expected of both men in the future.

Bob Caudle: Well I do believe King Kong Bundy needs a manager someone to help get his career on track.

Gordon Solie: I am kind of shocked he doesn't have one at this moment. Considering how many managers we have in the NWA.

Bob Caudle: Well talking about managers he comes Jim Cornette leading out the Midnight Express for our next match.

Junkyard Dog & Butch Reed vs Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette

In a bout that featured great action and average heat, Junkyard Dog and Butch Reed defeated The Midnight Express in 13:47 when Junkyard Dog defeated Dennis Condrey by pinfall with a Thump. Rating 80

Jim Cornette: Did you see that? What they did to poor Bobby and Dennis? I want they banned from wrestling nobody I mean nobody comes out here on national television and beats us. Rating 68

Tully Blanchard vs Rickey Steamboat

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Ricky Steamboat defeated Tully Blanchard in 19:32 by pinfall with a Flying Karate Chop. Rating 80

They don't click is the reason for the low rating!!!

Flair and David Von Erich and The Funk Brothers are backstage; an argument breaks out, and all four of them start brawling. A host of road agents and staff have to pull them apart.Rating 88

Dory Funk Jr.: David if you never wrestle the best you will never be any good. I am the best and my brother Terry is the best this business has to offer. Ric Flair this isn't personal not for me I am just after the money. Bringing in David though is making this personal. What happen down in Florida didn't teach you damn thing.

Terry Funk: You see my brother, Flair says this isn't personal. Well I would be lying if I said that. Because Ric Flair you have bounty on your head for $25,000. I want it and I am going to collect it. I hate your guts Ric Flair and come Clash of Champions I am going to leave your guts hanging out of your lifeless body. David your more like the disgrace of Texas. Just like your old man and your no good for nothing brothers, David every time you take a breath your disgracing Texas and everything it has ever stood for since it was founded. Rating 84

Ole Anderson: Von Erichs you want these belts. So does every other tag team in the world. All Japan, New Japan, Joint Promotions in England, promoters in Europe all keep calling Bobby Heenan wanting to defend these belts. Promoters in Mexico, Canada, and all around the United States wants the Andersons to defend our belts against their finest tag teams. Well Von Erichs your good team but your not the best. Because the best is standing right here before you.

Arn Anderson: We shocked the world at the Great American Bash. Because you see everybody thought the Andersons were gone for good. Gene retired and Lars well he is somewhere doing God knows what. Nobody thought that I would reach out to Ole well guess what I did. What your looking at is a younger, tougher, and better looking version of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew. Von Erichs come Clash of Champions your going to see why we our the greatest tag team of all time. Rating 77

Harley Race: Ric Flair... earlier you said you haven't forgotten about me. Well I am looking past you and looking towards the future. Ric Flair I will never face you again for this NWA World Heavyweight Title. Because you see you already had your rematch and failed to get the job done. So at Clash of Champions Dusty Rhodes I will be facing you. That is if you can go through the gauntlet of men that stand in your way. Rating 96

Kerry Von Erich: Ole and Arn come Clash of Champions the Von Erichs will be known as the World Tag Team Champions.

Kevin Von Erich: You can say what ever you want Andersons come the Clash we will find out who is the better tag team. Rating 76

Dusty Rhodes vs Stan Hansen

In a match that had excellent in-ring action and great heat from the audience, Dusty Rhodes defeated Stan Hansen in 18:13 by pinfall with a Bionic Elbow. Rating 94

NWA MAIN EVENT SUNDAY WEEK 4 JULY 1983 RATING 91

JCP HEADQUARTERS Charlotte, NC

Knock on the door.

John Cornell: Come in. Elizabeth how may I help you?

Elizabeth: John, you know I am grateful you gave me a job here and everything right?

John Cornell: Yes, I got a lot people like that why?

Elizabeth: Well you got me managing Tully and I don't mind that but, I would like you to bring my husband in from the WWF.

John Cornell: One he is on written meaning I can't touch him. Two I tried to sign him once already and he ran to WWF. Without even giving me a chance to counter offer.

Elizabeth: He is not on written to be honest he is on exclusive.

John Cornell: Have you seen the size of our locker room? It's freaking huge especially for cult size company. Here it's not been announced yet but these the people I had to give walking papers to today.

Buddy Roberts,

Haku,

Captain Lou Albano,

Samu,

Norvell Austin,

Scott Casey,

Ken Wayne,

Danny Davis,

Joe Malenko,

Don Kent,

Bill Dromo,

Bill Yuma,

The Iron Sheik,

Stu Schwartz,

Elizabeth: Ouch that's a lot of people for one day. They are going to ruin his career in the WWF. Putting him in matches with Eddie Gilbert and Pat Patterson. Come on John I know you would treat him better.

John Cornell: I don't know darling I just don't see what I can do for him. Half my guys don't even get T.V. time.

Elizabeth: He will be a superstar a legend in this business. Trust me John he has the talent plus me and Tully are already cooking storyline for him to get him over.

John Cornell: I will make a few phone calls and see what I can do.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_NWAMainEvent_zps7c825986.jpg

SUNDAY WEEK 1 AUGUST 1983

Bob Caudle: Welcome fans to NWA Main Event here on ESPN. We have great show lined up for you tonight.

Gordon Solie: Lot of action lined up tonight. Let's get to the ring and start this show.

David Von Erich & Ric Flair vs The Russians

In a bout that featured great action but not much in the way of heat, David Von Erich and Ric Flair defeated The Russians in 15:52 when David Von Erich defeated Nikolai Volkoff by submission with an Iron Claw. Ratiing 88

David and Ric are celebrating when coming out of the crowd The Andersons slide in the ring and start attacking with steel chairs. The Funks come rushing down the aisle. When they hit the ring The Funks and Andersons have a stare down. Then they all look at Ric Flair and David Von Erich both trying to get to their feet. Ole looks into Terry face and they nod in agreement. All four men begin to putting the boots to Ric Flair and David Von Erich.

Bob Caudle:Somebody needs to get down their this is outrage!!

On cue Kerry and Kevin Von Erich hit the ring with steel chairs in their hands clearing the ring out. Kerry tries to help his brother David up when Arn rushes to the ring. Kerry and Kevin focuses on Arn letting their guard down enough for the Funks to attack from behind. Ric and David has gain enough strength and they start fighting back.

Gordon Solie: We have a six pier brawl going on all eight men are battling hammer to tong in this wild fracas. I can't believe my eyes want I am seeing. Ric Flair face has turned into crimson mask as battles with Dory Funk Jr.

Bob Caudle: My God, these men are trying to kill one another out their. Blood is everywhere as these men are trying to tear each other apart.

Gordon Solie: Terry Funk has a table and he just put Ric Flair on it. What is thinking of doing? Oh God!! He is going to piledrive him through that table.

Bob Caudle: David Von Erich just nailed Terry Funk in the back with a chair saving Ric Flair's career.

Gordon Solie: The Andersons and Funks are leaving right now and look at the carnage, they have left in their wake. Kerry and Kevin Von Erich are laying on the ground after multiple shots to their heads with steel chairs by the Andersons. Security and medical staff has came down to help these men. David Von Erich is pretty much being held up by the guard rail and Ric Flair is screaming in agony as he lays on the concrete floor.

Bob Caudle: Fans we have to go to a commercial break. I have never seen this kind of carnage in my lifetime. Battered and bloodied bodies are everywhere from this pier six brawl. Rating 80

Bob Caudle: Fans I am still in shock from what just transpired we will keep you updated on the conditions of Ric Flair and The Von Erichs as the show goes on.

Gordon Solie: Bob, to be honest I have seen some wild brawls in my time but I have never seen anything like that before. Let's get to our next match shall we.

Wahoo McDaniel, Rickey Steamboat, and Jay Youngblood vs Harley Race, Nick Bockwinkel, and Jay Youngblood.

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Wahoo McDaniel and Steamboat & Youngblood defeated The Heenan Family (Harley Race, Nick Bockwinkel and Curt Hennig) in 18:15 when Ricky Steamboat defeated Curt Hennig by pinfall with a Flying Karate Chop. Rating 87

The match is over, Steamboat and McDaniel are celebrating their victory. Their partner Youngblood stares at them and shakes his head and leaves them in the ring as He walks to the back to leave the arena. Rating 82

Roddy Piper: Last time we stepped in the ring. You attempted to maim me Greg Valentine. Come Clash of Champions two of us are to walk down that aisle and after the match one of us is going to take a trip in an ambulance. Rating 96

Jimmy Garvin: Let me tell you something first of all Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin has been beating people left and right. Barry Windham tonight you fall to the Gorgeous one Jimmy Garvin. Rating 64

Jimmy Garvin vs Barry Windham

In a bout that featured great action but not much in the way of heat, Jimmy Garvin defeated Barry Windham in 15:41 by pinfall with a Bombs Away after Sunshine interfered. Rating 82

The Rock "n" Roll Express vs Hart Foundation

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, The Hart Foundation defeated Rock and Roll Express in 16:17 when Bret Hart defeated Ricky Morton by submission with a Sharpshooter after interference from Jimmy Hart. Rating 83

Right after the match the Road Warriors hit the ring and demolishes the Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson leaving them battered and bruised on the ground. Paul Ellering grabs a microphone.

Paul Ellering: Rock "n" Roll Express this how the Road Warriors make a challenge. We want you two teeny bobbing loved sissies at Clash of Champions. Rating 64

Bob Caudle: First we got Flair and David Von Erich being attacked and now the Rock "n" Roll Express get beaten to the ground.

Gordon Solie: It seems tensions and bloodlust is running high three weeks away from Clash of Champions.

Bob Caudle: I am getting news though that David and Ric are alright. They are battered and bruised but nothing to serious.

Gordon Solie: This is only escalating and God only knows where this bounty on Flair's head will lead.

Terry Gordy vs Dusty Rhodes

In a match that had excellent in-ring action and a good crowd, Dusty Rhodes defeated Terry Gordy in 18:10 by pinfall with a Bionic Elbow. Rating 96

Tully Blanchard: Tommy Rich do you see this title ? Tonight I am putting it on the line against you in our rematch. I am going to do two things tonight. One walk away as still Television Champion after our match. Two go home with this woman the Perfect Ten Elizabeth and party all night long.

Elizabeth: Tommy Rich you can't handle a real woman and your sure not going to be able to beat Tully tonight. Rating 84

Tommy Rich vs Tully Blanchard© w/ Elizabeth

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Tommy Rich defeated Tully Blanchard in 20:24 by disqualification. Rating 86

NWA MAIN EVENT SUNDAY WEEK 1 AUGUST 1983 Rating 86

JCP HEADQUARTERS CHARLOTTE, NC

John Cornell: What in the same hell is ESPN thinking? How the **** can they screw us like this? Seriously Jim ****ing seriously.

Jim Crockett Jr. I understand your frustration John. I am shocked by the news myself. Were the number one show on television and they want pull this bullshit.

John Cornell:Vince McMahon is dirty rotten son of bitch. I looked at the headlines again. WWF All Star Wrestling on ESPN. GCW back with TBS. SWCW being shown on Tempo Television If wasn't the fact we just signed a new deal with these bastards I would terminate the contract.

Jim Crockett Jr.: I have a idea it is a wild gamble. Take NWA Main Event to pay per view. Cancel the deal with ESPN and try to sign with somebody else.

John Cornell: I am just hoping we can get a better deal than the one with ESPN. NWA Main Event on PPV.

ESPN is a fledgling network and I'm sure they need all the programming they can get. They can only show so many checkers matches or bull riding. Would be interesting seeing NWA and WWF going head to head on the same network to see who gets the better ratings (and time slots).

looks like you cut a ton of the midlevel Memphis guys. Too bad you couldn't have a secondary brand to give those guys some work on the side. Most have the skills to do well, but sure that's not rewarded in the game due to lower popularity (since they mostly stayed in the smaller territories and did not wrestle on the bigger stages). I always found it fun to take a couple of those guys and try to build them up (much harder challenge than using the already established stars). I still marvel at your roster and the fact that nearly any match could be billed a main event anywhere in the world.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/john_handley1/Jim%20Crockett%20Promotions/th_NWAMainEvent_zps7c825986.jpg

Sunday WEEK 2 AUGUST 1983

Bob Caudle: Fans this is NWA Main Event and we our live at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California. We have a great show on hand for you tonight.

Gordon Solie: Well Bob, this is the first time that Jim Crockett Promotions has been this far west.

Bob Caudle: Yes it is Gordon and the promoters has stacked the card we great matches tonight just for that reason.

Gordon Solie: What a card indeed the Midnight Express will be defending the United States Tag Team Titles tonight in a explosive four way match. Question is has Jay Youngblood and Ricky Steamboat iron out their differences from last week?

Bob Caudle: We also have the debut of "Macho Man" Randy Savage tonight. He will be teaming up with Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin tonight.

Gordon Solie: Talking about Randy Savage here he comes now.

Randy Savage: "Macho Man" Randy Savage has came to the NWA. OH YEAH!!!!!!!!! I walked downtown here in San Francisco people came up to me and asked me questions man. Is it true that your the greatest athlete that has ever graced professional wrestling? I told that fan tonight you will see the Macho Man and Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin tear the Cow Palace down. Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! Rating 46

Randy Savage & Jimmy Garvin vs Dynamite Kid & Brad Armstrong

In a match that had some good action but non-existent crowd heat, Jimmy Garvin and Randy Savage defeated Brad Armstrong and Dynamite Kid in 12:01 when Randy Savage defeated Dynamite Kid by pinfall. Rating 67

Ricky Morton: Road Warriors you jumped us after our match with the Hart Foundation. Well jack if you want to meet us at Clash of Champions than daddy it's on.

Robert Gibson: Road Warriors your all muscle and no brains and come Clash of Champions were going to Rock and Roll all night long after we beat you 1..2..3 at the Clash. Rating 62

Freebirds vs Fabulous Ones vs Steamboat & Youngblood vs Midnight Express ©

In a bout that featured great action but not much in the way of heat, The Midnight Express defeated The Fabulous Freebirds, Steamboat & Youngblood and The Fabulous Ones in 24:22; the order of elimination was The Fabulous Ones first, then Steamboat & Youngblood, and finally The Fabulous Freebirds. During the match we also had Jim Cornette run in and attack Hayes. The Midnight Express make defence number 8 of their NWA United States Tag Team titles. Rating 77

Rock "n" Roll Express vs Rick Rude & Barry Darsow

In a match that had some good action but non-existent crowd heat, Rock and Roll Express defeated Rick Rude and Barry Darsow in 9:05 when Robert Gibson defeated Barry Darsow by pinfall with a Rocker Dropper. Rating 66

Bob Caudle: I was impressed with the team Barry Darsow and Rick Rude they looked good out there together.

Gordon Solie: Yes they did it was impressive showing they had against the former United States Tag Team Champions.

Bob Caudle: My God the Road Warroirs are out here and they have just beaten the Rock "n" Roll Express down to the mat once again.

Gordon Solie: I don't think the Road Warriors want the Rock "n" Roll Express to be at hundred percent when they face them at Clash of Champions. Rating 48

Paul Ellering: Rock "n" Roll Express we are sending a message out to you and the rest of the wrestlers in the NWA. That message is simple the Road Warriors are not here to play.

Animal: Take a look!! Take a look!! Morton and Gibson we built our reputation on beating the crap out of guys like you. Being a couple of bad apples from Chicago. Being strongest men in this sport and come Clash of Champions were going to lay waste to Rock and Roll. Tellem Hawk.

Hawk: Morton and Gibson your going to find out what hard is all about. Come Clash of Champions your own mothers won't be able to recognize you after were done. We snack on danger and dine on death. Rating 59

Ric Flair: I got the Funks, I got the Andersons and God only knows who else coming after me. Funks and Andersons combined you couldn't put me on the shelf. Tonight I face all four of you in eight man tag team match. My partners are the Von Erichs who I never liked in my life. Only last week when you came after me they are the ones who came to help fend you off. So right now they got my back so I have their back. Harley Race your the one that cause all this ruckus and sooner or later I am going to meet you in that ring. When I do I am going to walk out as a two time World Heavyweight Champion.WOOO!!! Rating 90

Bob Caudle: To me Gordon, Ric Flair is still the number one contender for the NWA World Title he didn't lose the rematch they went to a draw.

Gordon Solie: Harley Race and Bobby Heenan doesn't want to face Flair and I believe it's because they know Flair will beat him. Ric Flair is at the pinnacle of career I believe right now it should be a great rematch when they finally do meet for a third time.

Bob Caudle: Well next up we have Barry Windham versus Nick Bockwinkel.

Barry Windham vs Nick Bockwinkel w/ Bobby Heenan

In a bout that featured great action but not much in the way of heat, Nick Bockwinkel defeated Barry Windham in 19:31 by pinfall with a Piledriver. Rating 83

Ole Anderson: Ric Flair me and Arn didn't want to hurt you, but see your in our way. We want to destroy the Von Erichs not you Ric, but I must say 25,000 dollars a lot of money. So we take you out and the Von Erichs out at the same time well that will be a bonus.

Arn Anderson: Tonight, Von Erichs were going to meet in that ring and we will show why the Andersons are the most feared name in tag team wrestling.

Dory Funk Jr. David , I don't want to hurt you but your standing on the side of man who you should never trust and that's Ric Flair. We our just after the money. So tonight David I am going to show why you don't cross the Funks.

Terry Funk: I downright despise you Ric Flair. I almost despise them no good for nothing brats of Fritzs' as much as I despise you. LaughingI am going to have fun beating the holy hell out of all four you no good egg sucking dogs tonight. Flair I am going to put you out of this business. If I got to put you in a body bag I will. Rating 77

Ric Flair & The Von Erichs vs Minnesota Wrecking Crew & The Funks

In a bout that featured great action and average heat, Ric Flair, David Von Erich and Kevin & Kerry Von Erich drew with The Funk Brothers and Minnesota Wrecking Crew in 25:00 when the time limit expired. Rating 90

The bell has sounded, yet Ric Flair, David Von Erich, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Von Erich, Ole Anderson , Arn Anderson , Terry , and Dory continue to do battle with each other all the way to the backstage area.

Rating 77

Hulk Hogan: Tonight brother, tonight the Hulkster will get his hands finally on that two bit snake Jake Roberts. I am going to send you back man to whatever rock you slithered out of brother.

Dusty Rhodes: Tonight is going to be a night to remember here at the Cow Palace. Because live and in person Harley Race and Jake Roberts will be teaming up for the first time to go against the two greatest box office attractions in this company Hulk Hogan and The American Dream Dusty Rhodes. Baby... it's going to be a one helluva rumble in the Cow Palace. Rating 88

Tommy Rich: Tully Blanchard you think it was luck I beat you . Come Clash of Champions I am going to show you, I am the better wrestler. Elizabeth when you want a real man come see me and I will show you what a real man is all about. Rating 86

NWA WORLD TELEVISION TITLE MATCH:

Wahoo McDaniel vs Tully Blanchard© w/ Elizabeth

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Tully Blanchard defeated Wahoo McDaniel in 21:32 by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock. Tully Blanchard makes defence number 1 of his NWA Television title. Rating 83

Harley Race & Jake Roberts vs Dusty Rhodes & Harley Race

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Hulk Hogan and Dusty Rhodes defeated Jake Roberts and Harley Race in 21:46 when Dusty Rhodes defeated Harley Race by pinfall with a Bionic Elbow. Rating 90

NWA MAIN EVENT SUNDAY WEEK 2 AUGUST 1983 RATING 90

Archived