HYPEish- Hogan never made it.

Scott Hall did an interview on 'Inside the Ropes' and during it he spoke on a few things. The one set of comments that I thought was most interesting to me in a TEW mindset I posted bellow.

On what he and Kevin Nash knew the night of the Bash at the Beach 96:

"We had no idea who it was going to be. The whole third guy thing came up by accident. I remember Kev and I called Bret and I spoke to him, Kev spoke to him and we told him it was really fun working at WCW. It was really laid back, guaranteed money, it was easy. We were so used to being in a shark tank in New York. Coming to Atlanta was like being in a country club. It was really tame in the locker room in WCW compared to New York. We told bret he should come down.

Bischoff was interested, he was offering him a pretty sweet deal but Bret wasn’t interested. We wanted it to be hulk, but Hulk had creative control in his contract so he didn’t have to do anything he didn’t want to do. We went to the ring, we hadn’t even met Hulk yet, I met him briefly at WrestleMania 9 but I didn’t know Hulk, we actually went to the ring in Daytona and Hogan wasn’t even there yet. He was on a jet, flying cross country from shooting a movie. Bischoff wanted it to be Hulk but before we went out, Bischoff told us 'If Hulk doesn't show, I’m gonna send out Sting.'"

I stuck this in the MOD forum because it sounds like one of those moments in time a MOD is based upon and has SO MANY what if's.

Would NWO have been as good with Sting as the leader?

Would that night have had the same impact?

What do you do with Hogan?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Well the impact for me personally would be disgust. Sting was my favorite wrestler and I could not stand the NWO story line. I am very happy that Hogan showed up. I think Sting would have done a great job with that said he did a much better as the leader of the opposition. The NWO thing did restart Hogan's career as it was getting stale. It did work out for the best that Hogan showed up that night.

I don't think it would have helped Sting's career nearly as much as it did Hogan's at the time.

Well the impact for me personally would be disgust. Sting was my favorite wrestler and I could not stand the NWO story line. I am very happy that Hogan showed up. I think Sting would have done a great job with that said he did a much better as the leader of the opposition. The NWO thing did restart Hogan's career as it was getting stale. It did work out for the best that Hogan showed up that night.

I don't think it would have helped Sting's career nearly as much as it did Hogan's at the time.

I agree with this. It wouldn't have done as much for neither Hogan nor Sting as the real thing did, and Hogan would likely have used his creative influence to curb the nWo had he not been their leader. Though it would perhaps have developed into less of a locker room poison at WCW with the roles switched.

Would NWO have been as good with Sting as the leader? Not sure. IMO, he didn't seem to be someone who could join a rebel faction, at least in that time period.

Would that night have had the same impact? NO. Hogan was quite possibly a very over face, and I don't think he turned heel before as Hulk Hogan. That's what made it so good, the biggest babyface in the biz turning heel was so good that trash even stormed the ring. I'd probably be cheering, but that's just me.

What do you do with Hogan? He'd take the place of Sting, as he refuses to join the NWO no matter what. It would be shorter though, sd Hogan uses his CC to kill the NWO

Hogan actually had done a trial run as heel at the end of 1995. It didn't work well (though it was predicated on a stupid gimmick).

Sting as the leader of the nWo wouldn't have worked because the fans wouldn't have turned on him. Even when WCW did the whole "is Sting nWo?" tease for a few months into 1997 the fans cheered him over the WCW faces.

Hogan actually had done a trial run as heel at the end of 1995. It didn't work well (though it was predicated on a stupid gimmick).

Not exactly. He was simply trying to find a "dark place" to help him mentally in his feud with the Dungeon of Doom. It wasn't a trial run as a heel, it was simply a way to build up the storyline, like, "if he can beat Sting, he can beat the Dungeon of Doom!"

Though, as you said, stupid. :p

"if he can beat Sting, he can beat the Dungeon of Doom!"

...which he could not do; Sting had him locked in the Scorpion Deathlock when the Dungeon of Doom stormed the ring and caused a no-contest. Which made no sense at all.

Archived