Playoffs or Bowl Games?

Playoffs or Bowl Games?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Playoffs or Bowl Games?

• Playoffs
    • Bowl Games

Im totally shocked that its that lopsided for bowl games, a 16 team playoff system in my opinion is the only way to go. Relying on the poll system is just silly,and is mostly just opinion. In a playoff system you have to win all the way out and earn the national championship. Were the poll system is just based on opinion and computer ratings. Which is more luck involved instead of winning in the playoffs to advance.Also another great thing about the 16 team playoff format is at least one team per conference advances to the playoffs so it always gives every team a realistic chance to make the playoffs,by winning there conference. These are just my opinions of course,but im surprised more people dont see it this way.

[QUOTE=Roger Kaputnik]The playoff system is currently dysfunctional. That’s why the vote is so lopsided in favor of bowls.[/QUOTE] There is NOTHING in this game more dysfunctional than the polls, which determne the bowl structure, so your assertion makes no sense. If I am the #1 team in the country, win on the last day of the season against a top 10 team and FALL in the polls to #3, a bowl system effectively locks me out of the title game - a playoff system is the only fair way to determine the best team. The seeding for the playoffs, I agree, is just as worthless as the polls. Unfortunately, as the game is now, crazy poll movement like this is the rule and not the exception.

As I understand it the poll issues will be fixed in the next build so I am not worried about that. The problem I have is that there are not enough teams in the tourney as it is currently set up or at least not the right teams. With automatic bids the top 16 or whatever don’t always get in. I know that the same happens with bowls but a playoff is only better than bowls if it eliminates any controversy in the rankings. This system does not do that.

I'm just glad we have a choice. Sometimes I want a playoff because I am playing a lower-division mod, or a what-if scenario for I-A. Other times I want bowls because I'm trying to emulate real-life conditions in I-A. Having this is an option makes the game much more replayable.

[QUOTE=Tim Plum]Roger do you mean the 11 teams that win conf. should or should not get bids?[/QUOTE] Yes and no. I think you get around any problems that causes that by having 32 teams in the playoffs. With the possible exception of the MAC and CONF USA unranked teams don't usually win conferences. That should take in the entire top 25 & the 11 conference winners, plus a few non-ranked at large teams (with some overlap).

Archived