Divinus-Vir: Marvel's Newest Winged-Heroine!

((Thought I'd finally give this a shot. I'm using Wudu's 90's mod but this dynasty will be present day. Not completely familiar with EVERY SINGLE comic book character, so forgive me if I happen to misrepresent them. I will do research on each character I encounter in game to prevent that from happening however. The introduction will be long, but I don't plan on the following entries to be nearly the same. Okay, lets go!))

Divinus-Vir: Volume I

“From One of Old, to One of New. The Chronicles of the Rise of a Newly Appointed, Albeit Unwillingly, Winged Heroine.”

Ω

Prologue

Okay!

So before we go head-first into this epic journey of mine, I figure it’s only fair to introduce myself and explain just how exactly I got into this OTHER-WORLDLY state that I’m in right now.

Oh! Before I proceed any further though, a quick shoutout to my parents who had passed away five years ago. You two are still missed, you made a hell of a kid though; I tell you that. Also, shoutout to my dead, and probably still crazy in the afterlife, Grams whose soul is hopefully in peace. More than likely nagging the ear off of Jesus for letting his hair get all shaggy looking, I bet. Grams, if I had ever said that I had wanted anything more than a normal life, allow me to grant you permission to repeatedly smack me across the face for each time that I had said so once I enter the heavenly gates. Tell the big guy that I gave you permission though; don’t want him sending you to a timeout full of hellfire, brimstone and all that jazz.

Back on topic, my name is Sarabelle Adams, though friends call me Sara, or 'Belle, or sometimes even S.A, the latter I absolutely HATE. No siblings, and as stated before, no biological parents to call my own for the past five years. Not completely orphaned however, my Gramps had been raising me solo. It had only been that way recently though; my Grams having kicked the bucket due to an opportunistic infection to her weakened condition a year ago. I know I’m sounding very matter-of-factly about it and may come across as cold because of it, but really me and Gramps had been waiting for it to come for awhile now. For the past two years her physical health had slowly deteriorated and dementia had slowly crippled her mind. The week before she died I had gotten used to her treating me as if I was a toddler; her dementia causing her to relive the time when I was three and spending the summer with her and Gramps while my parents were out on their anniversary trip. When she finally passed the feeling was more of relief than grief, we wanted so badly for her to rest…

Ahem! I grew up in Kleinsburg, New York. Never heard of it? Count yourself lucky, of all the towns guaranteed to drive you insane out of pure boredom it’s definitely my hick- I mean hometown. Seeing the predicament I’m in now, it seems ironic that I’m criticizing my hometown for being so quiet, slow, and normal, but what other person who had wasted their adolescent years up in a small, zombie-like rural town wouldn’t? The fact that the town, with a population of only 3,000, was only a mere three hundred or so miles from the Big Apple, yes that’s right, New York City, did little to curb my restlessness growing up. Up there were probably millions of people, all of which were going through their lives in constant high-gear. More than likely they weren’t burdened with the bland, mundane routines that I was, and on the off-chance that something in their own daily routine became stale I bet they’d easily corrected the problem with the latest craze.

Unfortunately life wouldn’t be so easy to spice up in Kleinsburg. There was little to no changing in how things were done when it came to fun in the small town, and many of my peers had come to accept it growing up. Those that didn’t however, like me, were constantly dreaming of moving out of this slugfest once they came of age. My path out was a sure go, a full scholarship to St. Johns University insured that not only would I find myself in NYC and out Snoozeville, but I’d be another step closer towards my dream of becoming a journalist for a big-time paper. For which magazine or newspaper it didn’t matter, though the Daily Bugle was at the top of my list of the ones I preferred.

Fast-forward through my high school graduation, past the teary-eyed farewell and embrace I shared with Gramps as I hopped on the bus to NYC, past the times I shamelessly gawked at every single thing including specks of dirt as I arrived to the Big Apple, and past the long and lengthy procedures of being processed and officially admitted into St. Johns University; I was in my assigned dorm laying back upon my bed, a huge sense of satisfaction and excitement overwhelming me as my roommate barged in and talked about a concert we absolutely had to go to.

She was a freshman as well, Claire Lee from Earl, Arkansas. Being from a small town nearly as tiny as Kleinsburg her excitement and reactions were the perfect parallel to my own; she was easily the perfect roommate and perfect new friend.

“What time?” was my answer as I jumped up and began eagerly digging through my large suitcase of clothes. There was no way I could pass up a chance to experience the city, let alone the opportunity to attend a concert. This would be my first!

“7:00, Expo Center!” Claire replied as she followed suit. “Do you like Papa Roach?”

I looked up with pure shock as I screamed. “GET THE **** OUT OF HERE! Don’t play with me Claire, ARE YOU SERIOUS??”

“YES, YES, YES!!” Claire screamed back at me as we squealed and hugged each other.

By the time 6:00 came along Claire and I were already in line, which was extremely long. The amount of people easily could’ve covered a couple of blocks, and I wondered while surveying them if there’d be enough tickets by the time Claire and I got to the booth. As if reading my mind however, Claire tugged on my arm and showed me her smartphone. On the screen was the Ticketmaster app, with the receipt of two ticket purchases made in advance for the concert! “NICE!” I yelled as we high-fived each other.

Before long the doors were opened, and the next hour was the best of MY ENTIRE LIFE. If I were to be slapped for how many times I had uttered and screamed the two words, “FRONT ROW,” my cheeks would be redder than a popped cherry.

THE FRUIT... Pervs.

After having atleast three drops of lead singer Jacoby’s sweat fall on me while the band performed, I knew then that I had indeed arrived to NYC.

“The beginning of the most exciting chapter of my life starts tonight!” I screamed to Claire as Papa Roach began playing to the crowd after we chanted for an encore. Little did I know how much weight and truth those words would have in the next few moments.

Ω

All I can really say is that it all happened in a blur.

The show had long ended and Claire and I were hopping out the taxi, heading towards the university when a large, burly man had unexpectedly appeared, cutting us off.

My heart immediately sped up and I’m sure Claire’s had as well as she pressed up beside me. I couldn’t lie, I figured living in New York I’d be robbed or mugged atleast once knowing the crime rate of the city. Still, I had never expected it to happen so early, on my first day of all days! The large man just stood there, staring at us with middle-aged green eyes. He hadn’t said anything, which puzzled but also troubled me.

Swiftly, the thought that all of this was just some weird, random misunderstanding popped in my head. Hesitantly, I brought my hand towards my mouth as I cleared my throat to speak, “Excuse me?”

The large man simply arched his light brown eyebrows as he creepily licked his lips. Silence followed and not wanting to take it anymore I grabbed Claire’s hand and proceeded to hurry past him, only to be pushed back. “Oh no, bitches,” the man breathed as he dug in his back pocket and whipped out what was unmistakably a switchblade.

My scream was still finding its way up my throat when Claire’s own had beat me to it, turning around and dashing away as fast as we could.

Almost like a bad B-movie though I tripped and fell. Our attacker had quickly set upon me, and Claire could only stop and look back in horror as my last moments began to play out. My head was pulled back as a blade began to press upon my neck…

And swiftly both my attacker and I were jolted through the air. Gone below me was the cold hard concrete that I was previously pressed up against; replaced with an unexpected aerial view of the park three blocks away from the university!

As I looked down puzzled, I anxiously noticed that my attacker’s arm was around my neck was the only thing keeping me from an incredibly painful fall. I heard him grunt and yelp from above, and I tried in vain to crane my neck to see what the hell was going on.

Abruptly I heard an ear-piercing cry of pain, not from the man obviously as the voice was female. Immediately following that, to my dismay and horror we began plummeting down. Though I braced for impact as best I could, the pain I felt shooting up my right leg as we tumbled across the hard earth was damn near unforgivable. The fall had separated my attacker from me however, his body groaning as he laid crumpled in pain.

Mere seconds later, what I witnessed made me gasp in both awe and horror. A creature landed immediately upon the man with large, angelic-like, black-feathered wings outstretched. The face of the creature was that of a woman, her beauty marred with a fiery rage as she raised what appeared to be a sword. The man’s scream was cut off to a gurgle as the angelic woman drove the blade squarely into the man’s chest, directly where his heart would have been. The man twitched for a few seconds, but was soon lifeless as the woman pulled her blade from his carcass.

To my further amazement the woman had held the sword away from her chest, turned it sideways, and uttered the word “lumina”; the sword becoming engulfed in a large white glow that soon dissipated and in the woman’s hand was a mere amulet of some sort.

I breathed a low “wow” that should’ve been quiet enough for her not to hear, yet her shocked gaze had landed squarely upon me. She pointed towards me, a look of confusion upon her face.

“What?” She muttered, “Where did you come from?”

The question had caught me off-guard. Did she really not know? Suddenly, forgetting my situation I stood up and immediately regretted it as the pain from my right leg soon had me whimper pathetically as I bent over to favor it, putting all my weight on left as best I could. The injury to my leg seemed to have clicked the light bulb inside the woman as she moved and appeared at shocking speed by side.

“My god,” She said, a look of sincere guilt across her face as she examined my injury, “I had been careless. I was positive he had released you once I had swooped him up. That obviously wasn’t the case, the coward.” Without warning, the angelic woman had placed her hands upon my injured leg, causing me to scream in pain.

“Don’t hurt me-“ I was beginning to say as a feeling of warmth soon took the place of where the pain had once been, the woman’s hands emitting a glow that engulfed my entire right leg. It lasted only five seconds and like that the woman stood up, having righted the wrong she had inadvertently caused.

As I looked on in amazement the angelic woman simply bowed her head with a smile and tensed as if preparing to take flight; when she suddenly doubled over, her hands favoring the right side of her abdomen. “This should have healed already,” growled the woman through gritted teeth as her hands glowed, attempting to do the same thing she had done to my leg and fix herself I thought. Pure confusion was forming was beginning to show on her face however, and to my horror blood began spilling out from her abdomen at an alarming rate.

What was going on, why were her powers not working as they did earlier? I dug in my back pocket for my phone thinking to call 911, but all I had pulled out was an useless and smashed in smartphone.

As I looked on helplessly, not knowing what to do to help my savior, her amulet wrapped around her neck had begun to glow. The angelic woman herself hadn’t noticed it until the amulet began to move, levitating itself and loosening the chain from her neck. She wordlessly watched it as it continued to levitate and move closer, and closer, and closer, until it was squarely in front of me. I looked at the amulet, then at the woman, frightened and confused. What was happening?

“Take it,” the angelic woman had said, as an expression of what I could only call tranquility mixed with a hint of content came upon her face.

Not knowing what else to do at that particular moment, I cupped the amulet in my hands, and I saw out of the corner of my the angelic woman breathing a heavy sigh; dropping her shoulders as if a heavy burden had just been lifted off her shoulders.

Out of the blue the amulet had emitted a blinding flash, temporarily blinding me. When the light faded I was shocked to see the blade the angelic woman had wielded now in my hands. Without warning, four beams of light protruded from the pommel of the blade and I flinched and closed my eyes, thinking I’d be blinded again. When I felt something grab and bear down on my arms and legs however I yelped with fear; snapping my eyes back open and twisting my neck to see what was attacking me.

It was still just me and the angelic woman in the park, and as I looked around in confusion the grip and weight bearing down on me increased. I now noticed that the four beams of light that shot from blade’s pommel were really glowing chains, which were now wrapped around my arms and legs. For what purpose and why this was happening I looked frantically towards the angelic woman, who was witnessing all of this in calm demeanor.

Suddenly, a feeling that could only be described as someone pressing two heated, sharp blades across my back came upon me, and I helplessly arched my back and screamed in pain as tears streamed from my eyes. The pain soon traveled from my back towards my arms, my legs, and soon enveloped my entire body. “WHAT’S GOING ON??? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME??”

“I’m sorry,” spoke the angelic woman as she coughed, a trickle of blood lining the side of her. “It seems my time has come. I am to be replaced by you it seems… I wouldn’t wish this burden upon anyone, but the Gods have commanded it… You are to be the new—“

“NO!” I screamed as excruciating pain erupted upon my shoulder blades, “I DON’T WANT THIS! I DIDN’T ASK FOR-“

“It’s too late dear,” softly spoke the angelic woman, obviously now dying, a look of sympathy crossed her face as she saw me struggling to pull away. “The Lamina… The holy blade has chosen you… From One of Old to One of New, I recognize you as Divinus-Vir!”

“NO!” I screamed as I turned my gaze upon her, my eyes now full of pleading and the fear of the unknown. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN ‘CHOSEN’? PLEASE! MAKE THIS STOP-“

Just then I was caught off-guard as I arched my back in reaction to a blinding pain, causing me to emit such a painful and high-pitched scream that anyone within an one-mile-radius was sure to think someone had died tonight. My vision began to fade as my legs went numb, but not before I had noticed the unmistakable sound of wings flapping from behind me. I tried to turn my head, but darkness soon enveloped me as I crumpled forward towards the cold, hard earth.

“It has been done,” were the last words I heard, belonging to a new voice I had not heard before, and soon I found myself slipping completely into unconsciousness.

Ω

The next day later… No, that isn’t right.

The next week later, I had awoken in a hospital bed.

Sarah, after witnessing me and my attacker being swooped up into the air by the angelic woman, had immediately called 911. The officers promptly performed a search and found me in the park, apparently in a coma-like state. They recovered the body of my attacker, but apparently the angelic woman was nowhere to be found.

The doctors and the authorities had thankfully not contacted my Gramps about the situation. Apparently they weren’t able to reach him after several tries. My reaction was immediately that of extreme worry; that is until I learned that it was completely a fault of my own, having accidentally wrote the wrong number by one-digit in the emergency contact form. Either way, I was mentally in no shape to tell Gramps what had happened. Not yet.

After performing a couple tests to make sure I was okay in the brain department, I was discharged with a clean bill of health. As I was being given my belongings there was one thing that I told the doctors to throw away immediately upon seeing it.

“Get that thing away from me!” I yelled as I stared at the amulet. “I don’t want it, I don’t want it, do whatever the hell you want with it, sell it, pawn it, keep it, I don’t care, KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME!”

After getting my message across I immediately ran out, catching the first taxi back to St. John’s university. As I arrived to the dorm I half-expected Sarah to have moved out and left the city all together after the incident, so it was a pleasant surprise to find her sitting on the couch. As we hugged each other and I answered for the millionth time that I was okay, we made a vow that there would be no more night outings. Atleast until we were comfortable and sure again about our safety.

I retired towards my room, mind on getting some sleep to dream away the hell I had endured. As I jumped on my bed however I felt something hard poking my back, and after getting up and picking up what it was I nearly screamed.

Without a word I pulled open my window and chucked the amulet away, hopefully for good.

TWACK!

I swiveled around to the sound of something dropping on my desk….. and soon found out that I was only kidding myself. Laying there, as innocent as it could be was the damn amulet. Just how the hell it appeared in my room again after having heaved it out the window mere seconds ago, I had no idea. The dreaded sense that I was going to be stuck with this thing for awhile had started to hang over me as I tried fruitlessly over and over again to cast it away outside; each time to no avail.

Chapter I Coming Soon!

<p><strong>(((Okay lol, this next update wasn't how I expected it to be. I was sure it'd be smaller than the Prologue, I was POSITIVE it'd be. But I got so pulled into my character development and storytelling; so in the end I got an update that was nearly twice as long. Just nearly, but still a hell of a lot more than I expected. lol I hope you guys enjoy it.</strong></p><p><strong>

Also, I made the decision that I'll be making updates weekly, I figure if I give myself a deadline which could allow me to go along my own pace, instead of rushing to putting another scrapped and poorly put together entry every two days, that I'd have this going for awhile and retain interest as a result. In the event I knock out two quality entries in that week's span however then I'll simply release two.</strong></p><p><strong>

Again, enjoy, here's Chapter I.)))</strong></p>

<p>Divinus-Vir Volume I - Chapter I</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:Impact;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Chapter I :</span></span><span style="font-size:18px;"> </span><span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="color:#808080;">Not Accepting It, But Not Denying It Either. Rolling Along With Fate!</span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>Six Years Later, Present Day, Tuesday September 10th 2013</em></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

He flexed his fists in and out, as did I. No words were being said and aside from our hands twitching for the upcoming battle, we were motionless as our eyes critically sized each other, plotting the first move.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

His name was Beetle, I believe. Not one of New York City’s primetime villains and considered to be a joke to seasoned vigilantes.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

So of course he had to be oozing confidence going toe-to-toe with me; I was as green as green could be. My first time of doing this whole hero gig seriously. To Beetle and others of his ilk who were more notorious than he was, I was no more than a hawk-fledging. Sure I had the potential to grow and become a dangerous predator, but at the stage I was currently in that potential was a long ways out.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Suddenly, Beetle twisted his stance launched himself at me, using the jetpacks on his battlesuit to quickly close ground!</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Ω</strong></span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>Earlier That Day</em></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Who, who, whoa! Getting too far ahead of myself, I hadn’t even properly explained just how I made the transition into crime fighting. Well, I can assure you it wasn’t overnight immediately following that fateful night, nor was it the week after, or the month after, or even the year after. It wasn’t something I was going to dive into if my mind was adamant about putting the whole thing behind me; which it still was after six years.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I, along with Claire have long graduated St. John’s University. We have since split from each other as we pursued our careers, Claire having landed a marketing gig for a software company and myself finally squeezing through the doors of Daily Bugle as a journalist! We try to keep in touch but with our hectic schedules it’s difficult.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I hadn’t told Claire about the entire situation regarding that fateful night and the aftermath that’s been shoved upon me. I thought she would no doubt freak out. Even as our friendship had grown over the years, my stance hadn’t changed. </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Telling Gramps was out the question as well, I hadn’t even told him about the attack and there was no way in hell I would throw all of that stress and worry on him. He’s been moving abit slow lately, the last time I visited him for the holidays he definitely gave off the vibe of someone who’s gradually become more and more tired with each passing day…</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

The amulet, in case you were wondering, was still with me, unfortunately. The ways I attempted to dispose of it can literally fill a scroll; I tried throwing it in a furnace, throwing it in a sewer, casting it off into the ocean, taped it on the back of an unsuspecting taxi, and just recently even tried SELLING the damn thing to a pawn shop!</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

The latter hadn’t prevented the amulet from magically returning to me, as you might’ve guessed, but the good deal of cash I had gotten from selling it, $3,000, manage to cushion my frustration quite abit! I later returned five more times after “finding extra family heirloom amulets”, the owner of the shop growing more and more suspicious.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

It was Sunday morning however that the sixth time would be my last as the shop owner had outright refused to buy anymore. Apparently the amulets had always wound up mysteriously missing, surprise, surprise. As I put on a look of disgust and expressed my outrage that the shop could have misplaced such valuable jewelry which had in turn spat on the sentimental value they had meant to me and my family, I stormed out the store and successfully avoided any uncomfortable interrogating.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Disappointed that the amulet would no longer net me anymore quick cash, I began making my way hurriedly to work. Ignoring the sea of waiting cabs that I would no doubt have to fight over; this is New York City we’re talking about; I made the decision to walk. My job conveniently wasn’t too far from the pawn shop I had just left and I would easily make it to the Daily Bugle’s building in ten minutes or less if I kept a brisk pace. I reached the end of a sidewalk and pressed the button that would eventually allow me to cross the busy street.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

It was there that I saw them. A young mother with auburn-colored hair similar to my own but pulled into a tight, high ponytail. She was apparently with her two children, one being the baby in a stroller, the other being a toddler, held by the hand as they were waiting at the light directly opposite of me. There was nothing unusual about them really, I mean nothing that most people would notice.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Just then to my left were the sounds of an argument, bringing my attention away from the normal small family and onto two desperate and selfish young men as they fought over a cab that had recently made it self available. Irritation and a pot of anger was beginning to simmer inside me as I noticed that standing behind the two buffoons was an elderly woman frightened out of her wits, no doubt was also waiting for the cab, but common courtesy and respect for the elders has gone thin in abundance for the current generation.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I was going to say something, give the two assholes a piece of my mind and verbally chew their face off, but reluctantly chose to bite my tongue and ignore the situation. I reminded myself that I couldn’t allow myself to be late for work or my boss, J. Jonah Jameson a.k.a “JJ”, would threaten to take away a fraction of my pay, which he has been doing a lot lately to many employees during his recent mean-streak.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Sighing, I returned my gaze back towards the small family that waited across the street… and just then felt a jangle of alarm. The mother was looking into the stroller, and the toddler, forgotten for maybe a second, had wandered into the street. There had been a brief lull in the flow of traffic, but the little boy was now directly in the path of an approaching white van. A glance to the van revealed a driver talking heatedly into his cell phone, seemingly oblivious to the road in front of him.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I guess this is one of those times that you expect me to say the famous five-word phrase that seems so appropriate at the moment, “It was all a blur”? But it wasn’t; I remember every second of it. I was a shot fired from a gun, unthinking and with only one path available to me. I ran to the street. I remember the young mother glancing up from the stroller as people started to yell. I saw her face shift from confusion to terrified. I saw the people on the opposite sidewalk turned to stare; saw the little boy oblivious, toddling along toward me. I felt the hard concrete beneath my feet, heard the blood rushing into my ears. I was completely focused on the kid, who looked at me with a confused smile as I bent, arms outstretched, reaching for him as I ran. Everything slowed but me; time warped and yawned but I was a rocket as I noticed but quickly dismissed the pulsing in my back pocket emanating from the amulet. I felt the warmth of his body as I scooped him up in one arm. I saw the grille of the van, felt the metal of the fender nick my left foot as I dove both of us out of its path. I watched the van continue along its path, never slowing, as if the whole event that had played out before it had gone completely unnoticed by the driver.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

My body was tense, my teeth gritted with determination and fear, but I relaxed when I heard the little boy cry, saw him looking at me with terror. His mother ran over and grabbed him from me, sobbing. His tears turned from whimpers into a howl as if something primal told him he had just averted a great darkness. People surrounded me, looking on with concern. “Was I all right?” Was the popular question directed towards me almost immediately. Even then the answer still would have been yes.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a somewhat familiar face dashing towards me with worry visibly in his eyes. “Sarabelle Adams?” Peter Parker, a co-worker of mine who’s a photographer for the Daily Bugle, spoke my name in disbelief as he knelt beside me.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“I’m okay, I’m okay,” I quickly spoke as I began waving him off from asking about my health, the question was beginning to annoy me already. I began to stand up, brushing myself as the eyes upon me had grown increasingly more uncomfortable. “I’m so not cut out for the spotlight,” I muttered to Peter.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Still you’ve got to admit,” Peter spoke as his eyes became animated, “what you did was amazing! You’re a hero!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Yeah,” I said as I sheepishly smiled. “Too bad only these fifty or so people were the only witnesses to it, huh? I won’t be getting anything near the acclaim an Iron Man, Captain America, or even your best pal Spidey would get.”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Haha,” Peter chuckled as he raised his right hand to reveal his camera, “I wouldn’t be too sure just yet. The shot I got from you was incredible! This is five-star-materi-“</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I punched him in his nose before he could finish. “You’re telling me you actually took a photo of that! In all of the ways you could’ve reacted, you chose to take a photo of what could’ve been my final moment! You insensitive jerk!” As he groaned in shock and pain I kicked in his right shin, causing him to surprisingly fall face-first into the concrete. He was obviously putting on a show and exaggerating the pain he was in, and that ticked me enough to shoot a quick kick to his ribs causing him to howl melodramatically. Most of the people standing by and watching were chuckling a little bit, not even they were fooled by Peter’s over-the-top performance.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“I knew you would reach the kid in time!” Peter yelled with a pretty convincing tone of pain. As he sat up and made a show of holding his nose, there was something different in his eyes now as he looked at me, as if seeing me for the first time. “I knew you would reach the kid and get both him and you to safety, Sarabelle. Call it…,” he paused, as if searching for the right words, before saying, “a sense.”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“I call it bullshit, jerk!” I yelled as I stomped off towards the path that would take me toward the Daily Bugle’s building. I glared behind me at where Peter was standing himself back up, limping away in such a convincing matter that it gave me a bit of pause. “Did I really hurt him that badly?” I asked myself aloud as I once again noticed the pulsing emanating from my back pocket. I reached in and grabbed the amulet and sure enough it continued pulsing in my hand in a rhythmic rate, but it was also glowing too! Almost as soon as I noticed this, I began to feel a weird alien sensation that could only be described as a continuous rush of fresh air, never ending in its revitalization and sense of renewing...</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Divinus-Vir…’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I quickly shoved the amulet back in my pocket, ignoring the obvious fact that a voice, likely projected from the mythical amulet, echoed in my head. I forcibly told myself to forget what I had just heard, to go about the daily routine as usual, but for some reason for the first time ever… I found myself having to resist the urge of bringing it out again. Border-line craving to hold it in my hands again, as if to satisfy a longing that has been long buried, but has managed to claw its way back to the last layer of the surface, waiting for someone to scrape away that final layer so it can finally be released.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><strong><span style="font-size:18px;">Ω</span></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>Later That Day</em></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Work at the office came and went, but I wasn’t able to be completely focused throughout it all. Even as JJ went about his daily rampage over every single employee, my mind kept drifting elsewhere. Mainly back to how I saved that kid and how close a call it was, but also the recent strange development surrounding my cursed amulet.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Divinus-Vir,” I quietly breathed to myself as I fiddled around with papers on my desk, keeping up the façade to fool the local tyrant that I was busy working rather than sitting idle. I had a story on the Shocker’s recent walk of shame due tomorrow morning but I hadn’t even laid a title down. </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Divinus-Vir,” I once again quietly spoke under my breath. The word… or rather title I guess, kept replaying in my head no matter how hard I tried to push it out and keep it at bay. I could deny it all I wanted, but there’s no mistaking that the amulet, as crazy as it may sound, was trying to reach out to me when that voice had echoed in mind.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

My eyes narrow the way they usually do when I delve really deep in thought. </span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>‘That voice! I had heard it before, long before today’s incident, I’m sure of it! Come on Sara, think, think, when was it?’</em></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

My eyes widen as I come to a sudden realization. </span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>‘Could it really be? But that was so long ago!’</em></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Adams!!” My head snapped up in rapt attention as my name was barked by JJ from across the room. “How’s that story coming? It better be good as I’m expecting it to be, you seem to be really lost in it over there!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Y-Yes, sir!” I stumbled to force the words out as I was forced to bring myself back to the immediate reality. “Coming along great! Really making sure it’s absolutely perfect though, you know how much of a perfectionist I can be at times!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“As long as it sells, Adams, I could give a rat’s ass of how flawed the story is! I want your work on my desk first thing in the morning after you come in, understood?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“You got it, JJ,” I replied as I mentally rolled my eyes. When the boss had turned his attention from me onto another employee I began to return my attention back to my desk. My eyes stopped on the entrance of the film development room however as Peter Parker had burst from it, envelope in hand. As soon as he saw JJ he began marching his way, his eyes landing on me with a slight smile and a slightly swollen nose. I knew what he was carrying, I wasn’t dumb, but instead of throwing up another protest I simply crossed my arms and observed as he approached JJ.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“What is it Parker, got another shot of that hooligan Spiderman causing trouble again?” JJ asked as he removed a single photo from the yellow envelope. Once out, JJ’s eyes narrowed in confusion as he brought the photo closer to his face. “What the hell is this?” I heard him grumble as he lowered part of the photo to reveal his eyes landing critically upon me. “Adams! Did you put Parker up to this photoshopped picture?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

An unexpected anger began to boil in me as I heatedly glared at my boss, slamming my fists upon my desk as I stood up. “THE HELL? ‘PHOTOSHOPPED’ MY ASS! THIS MORNING A KID WAS MERE MOMENTS AWAY FROM BEING FLATTENED BY A ****ING RECKLESS LUNATIC IN A WHITE VAN! I WAS ACROSS THE STREET AS I WITNESSED IT ABOUT TO HAPPEN! I DIDN’T THINK ABOUT IT, I JUST DID IT! I COULD HAVE ****ING DIED, JJ, BUT I DIDN’T AND NEITHER DID THE KID! MEANWHILE, IN THE MIDST OF ALL THIS, PARKER WAS TAKING A LEISURELY STROLL AND HAPPENED TO BE THERE WHILE IT ALL WENT DOWN! INSTEAD OF STANDING AROUND IN HORROR LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, HIS INSTINCTS TOLD HIM TO TAKE A PHOTO OF MY POTENTIAL DEATH SHOT!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

The room was deathly still and quiet after I finished. Each of my co-workers’ jaws were slacked and hanging open as their gazes went from me to JJ. It wasn’t often, IF EVER, a time when an employee had the gall to speak to him in the matter and tone I used.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

As JJ’s own eyes were locked on me, no doubt stunned as well before his characteristic anger could kick in, Parker broke the silence by clearing his throat. “Boss, what she did was amazing! There were maybe around seventy to possibly a hundred or so witnesses to it as well, the story will soon break if it hadn’t already on social media. Think of the huge attention the Daily Bugle would get if the city knew that ONE OF OUR OWN is a hero! That’s certainly a one-up the ‘New York Times’ will never top.”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Sneaking in that last comment to no doubt play to JJ’s hatred of the Daily Bugle’s arch-nemesis, Parker’s words soon had JJ’s eyes animated as he looked at me as if I was his newest winning ticket. “By god, Adams, who the hell would’ve thought you had it in you!” He began trotting to my desk and gave me an unexpected hug. I looked over his shoulder to look out the window; no doubt it was raining cats and dogs and pigs were taking to skies at this sudden breach of character from my boss.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Um… ‘kay?” I squeaked, growing uncomfortable as the hug went on a second longer than I expected, a couple of my co-workers bringing out their phones to capture this once-in-a-lifetime moment. Finally releasing me, JJ shocked everyone once more by grabbing my trashcan and tossing all the papers on my desk into it. “Sir!” I yelled in alarm. “What are you doing?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“I’m putting you on a two-week paid vacation, that’s what!” JJ replied as he handed the trashcan over to someone to empty. “We can’t have you working, being the hero and all, while we’re running this story! Go on, go home, that’s an order!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Dumbfounded, I stood up as my co-workers erupted in applause. Looking at the genuine impressed looks upon everyone’s face I couldn’t help but feel abit of pride swelling up inside of me. As I was headed for the door my eyes had stopped on Parker, who was clapping with twice as much enthusiasm as the others. After having all of this play out before me, it was admittedly hard to stay mad at him. I sighed as I mouthed a “thank you”, couldn’t help but smile as he replied with a two thumbs up that had me chuckle as I walked out the door.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Ω</strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>Later Into The Evening</em></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

My one-bedroom apartment was small—okay, minuscule—with a bare minimum of storage space. Actually, it had only one closet at the end of a hallway that ran parallel to my bedroom but went nowhere. But I liked that it kept a limit on the amount of clutter I allowed to accumulate in my life. I had a sense that if I need to pack up and move in a day, I could, and that thought gave me a significant amount of comfort. Which was strange as I had been here for nearly two years; and still could see no desire to leave at any point in the far off future. There was something about the apartment that made me feel rooted and free at the same time. It was exactly the way that I wanted it, with comfortable, plush furniture, and area rugs to soften the hardwood floors. The walls were freshly painted a subtle cream. It was cozy, familiar… my space.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I’m sitting upon my soft couch, watching the news story break about me saving the kid this morning. I couldn’t help it, I was bouncing repeatedly as pride reached an all-time high. I was recognized as a hero. A hero in the city of New York nonetheless, which literally branded me as a rockstar. Once the photo was shown of me diving the boy and I out of harm’s way in dramatically close fashion, the surrealness and how sensational the picture appeared made me feel bad for giving Parker such a hard time about it. I made a mental note to possibly make it up to him once the opportunity arises.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

As the news story came to a close, almost on queue: </span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Divinus-Vir…’ </em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I looked around, startled, then immediately stood up and reached in my backpocket. As I held the amulet, a thought to talk back to it popped up. Seeing that I was alone in my own apartment, away from judging, I saw no reason not to try. “Um… Okay, um, you… That voice…. From six years ago, it came from you? Didn’t it?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Yes, on the night the mantle was passed onto you, you were immediately spiritually aware of me.’</em></strong></span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"> I eyed the amulet critically, no longer feeling silly for talking to it. </span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘I had tried to reach out to you then, but your mind was too closed and all of my attempts were fruitless. That is until today. Fate eventually gets its way.’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Fate? What do you mean?” I asked. “If I remember correctly, you were thrust upon me by that woman. I wanted no part of it.”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Oh, but the wants of mortals matter little to the Gods. The night you had met your predecessor, the stars had aligned and you were chosen. You are the new wielder of celestial good and justice, the arm of the Gods whose sole purpose is to protect the helpless and smite darkness.’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“The ‘Gods’ can shove it up their asses; I’m against being drafted for anything!” I replied, furious. “And what of you; being an inanimate object, why are you able to speak to me?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘I have no name. I am just a mere spirit imbued into the Lumina. I fight alongside you and at the same time offer you guidance.’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Lumina?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘The blade you saw your predecessor wield. It is a holy weapon, no mortal sword can stand up to its power. You’ll see that soon immediately once you have your first battle, I’m sure.’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Riiight,” I replied. “What makes you think that’s going to happen in this lifetime? I’ve already made it clear as day I—”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Whether you realize it or not, you have already set in motion your awakening. You WILL be wielding the blade soon, it’s inevitable.’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Like hell I am! And what do you mean I had already set in—“</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Did you really think you saved that child today because of your own pure will and doing?’</em></strong></span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"> As soon as the spirit had said that I went deathly still, waiting for it to elaborate more on what I had already suspected. </span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘You noticed the Divinus Amulet, as it is called, pulsing during this morning’s event. It was reacting to the fact that you knowingly had placed your life in harm’s way to save an innocent. In ordinary circumstances, you and the boy would’ve been killed as you wouldn’t have made it in time. But the Divinus Amulet had offered you a portion of its power to help you perform the heroic deed. In turn, you unknowingly had awakened a portion of powers. When you attacked the young man afterwards, Peter Parker, he wasn’t putting on a show as you might’ve thought. It’s a good thing only a portioned of your strength was awakened in you, because if you were at full strength you would’ve no doubt killed him.’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

As I took all of this in, I heard a yell through my kitchen window which faced the back alley behind the apartment. I recognized the voice immediately belonging to Stan, a homeless old man who lived in the area who was generally nice and easygoing. He was having heart problems lately and fearing the worst, I left my apartment immediately, forgetting I still had the amulet in my hand. As soon as I exited the building and rounded the corner into the alleyway, I found to my horror that someone was mugging the frail man.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

The man mugging Stan was definitely not ordinary. He was in a light-green and purple armored suit, with a helmet that had two pointed tips that resembled antennas. Noticing my approach he twisted his head around to see me and I immediately recognized him as Beetle. Not one of the high-profiled villains of NYC, but nevertheless a nuisance and caused his share of trouble. “If you leave now I’ll forget I saw you, little woman,” he threatened through his helmet.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

There was no way I could leave, not with Stan in the trouble he was in. Unconsciously, I reached for the Divinus Amulet. “I-I… I won’t let you hurt him.”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Don’t try to fight it; embrace it! Fate has long made this your calling and today you’ve no doubt sensed that! Assume the mantle; wield the fiery blade of justice of Divinus-Vir!’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

And like that, I gave in, tightening my grip on the Divinus Amulet as I yelled, “Lumina!” As the familiar white light erupted from the mystical object and consumed me, Beetle had stopped threatening the homeless man and was staring directly at me. It gave the homeless man the window he needed to escape, dashing out the alleyway with Beetle barely noticing.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Well now, this is quite a surprise,” he spoke as the blinding white aura had reached its peak. “I never thought I’d run into an upstart tonight. I could benefit with an easy notch on my belt by dealing with you.”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“We’ll see about that,” I spoke, with an edge in my voice I had never had before as the aura had begun to dissipate. When it had completely disappeared Beetle had took a slight step back, grunting surprise. In my hands as I held it outstretched in front of me was the familiar blade I last held six years ago. Looking at it in closer inspection there many symbols etched into the blade, all glowing with energy. As I tensed my shoulders a sound of feathers ruffling from directly behind had startled me enough to chance a look back. To say I wasn’t prepared for what I saw would be an understatement; I was absolutely and completely speechless. “I have… wings??” I breathed in amazement, marveling at the new large, black-feathered appendages on my back.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

While looking at them a strand of my hair had fell in my view and before I instinctively blew it away I noticed another drastic change. Looking at my reflection from a nearby window I saw that my once chestnut-auburn hair was now a deep ravenesque-black color. My eye color had changed; my brown irises were replaced by the color of amber. Even more unexpected in my reflection was the sudden change in my clothes; my casual blue shirt and jeans were replaced by a tight-fitting black robe held together by several long black cloths, some lining and tying themselves in an intricate pattern along my arms. The robe would go down to my knees and from below I saw my sneakers had left in favor of the new pair of wooden sandals that were now on my feet.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Just who the hell are you?” Beetle’s question snapped my attention back to the present. He was standing there the entire time, nearly as transfixed to the recent development as I was. Before I could answer however he waved me off from speaking and got into what appeared to be a charging stance. “Nevermind, it does not matter. The fact that you’re just a runt is all that matters. I’ll end this quickly!” Beetle then immediately charged at me, being propelled by boosters in the back of his armor.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Like that, the battle had begun. I successfully roll out of the way of Beetle’s charge but underestimated his reflexes when a hit from his wrist blaster got me squarely in the chest and pushed me back a couple of feet. I was winded slightly but couldn’t allow that attack to allow Beetle another window of opportunity, so I quickly went on the offensive by spreading my black wings and raising my blade.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘We attack as one!’</em></strong></span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"> The blade’s inner spirit had barked. </span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Quickly, strike at him from the distance!’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Wait a minute, what?” I asked. “You want me to throw you at him?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘No, strike at him as you normally would so. The cut of the blade will reach its target regardless of distance. The cut will be delivered either physical or in the form of mystical energy. Just try it yourself and you will see, Divinus-Vir!’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>

</em></strong></span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">Not seeing any problem in trying, I slashed the blade at Beetle as he hovered a mere few yards away. To my surprise, a horizontal bright, white glow of energy had shot forth from the blade at an alarming rate, completely catching my target off-guard as he was struck. He crashed towards the ground, his armor sparking abit at the damage I had no doubt did to its electrical circuits.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Not bad,” I breathed as I looked at the blade in a whole new light.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘Stay focused!’</em></strong></span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"> The nameless spirit had chided as Beetle began to get back up and launch another attack. I was instantly upon him however, quickly closing the distance between us as I used the pommel of my blade to land a bone-crunching blow upon his chest. Tumbling back a couple of feet, it was now Beetle’s turn to be winded. It may have been cockiness setting in, but I could have sworn that the guy was slightly growing wary of me.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

He suddenly appear to cower before me and I smile broadly at that. “That was too easy,” I said smugly having turned my back on opponent. Having thought the fight was over I prepared to take flight only to be shot squarely in the back.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Heh, rookie,” I heard Beetle say through his mask as I angrily got back up, my raven-esque hair covering the hell of fury burning in my eyes for being so stupid. </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><em>‘What the hell are you doing? The battle is never over until one of you are unconscious or dead! Don’t let your overconfidence be your downfall!’</em></strong></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“I know-“ I was shot again by Beetle’s blaster before I could finish my sentence, the new pain to my back and now abdomen filling me with a rage that could not be quelled without vengeance.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

My rage seemed to be what I needed as I launched myself such ferocious force that there was no time for Beetle to react as I closed ground, landing two successful strikes. The latter was specifically intended for his neck and though he managed to stumble back with his head intact he was sure to be extremely taken aback by my sudden killing intent.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

He would react by hastily shooting another blast from his laser, which I had finally dodged out the way from as I continued to close the distance between us. That seemed to play right into his plans however as he got me with an unforgiving armored punch across the chin.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

I had stumbled back abit because of it, a small driblet of blood forming down the side of my mouth, but the strike further fueled my desire to finish my prey. Lunging toward him I inflicted a punishing uppercut-like slash that sent his him through the air, immediately following that up with the long-ranged attack of mystical energy.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

As he landed I braced for what he had next. I now knew it didn’t really matter at this point, my next move was going to finish him. It wasn’t cockiness or arrogance that told me, but rather instinct; the same instinct a predator had when it knew its prey was at its most vulnerable. As he got up he attempted to shoot me again with his wrist blaster but was only greeted by electric shock. The circuits for it were fried, as was the most of his armor.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

To my surprise, instead of running away he charged at me, attempting to grapple me. My strength would easily outclass his however and I swiftly delivered the final blow with a merciless slash that sent him flying against the brick wall of the apartment complex we had fought by.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

As he laid there, without a doubt unconscious, I walked towards him and raised my blade. The heavy consensus in my head was that my anger would not be sated until this person was dead.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>‘And he will be’</em></span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">, I thought as I eyed his lifeless body.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;"><em>‘By my hand.’</em></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

Just as I’m about to bring the blade down his chest however, like deja-vu I find myself sailing through the air again through no actions of my own! I quickly see however that I’m being held by someone, the arm wrapped around my waist I instantly recognize and I turn my head to be face-to-face with New York City’s finest, the one and only Spiderman!</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Whoo, close call there!” He said as he continued swinging with one arm. “I’m glad I got there in time!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

After several seconds of being star-struck, I had finally shook my head and gather my wits. “Wha-, what? Wait a minute, what are you talking about?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“You were about to make the biggest mistake of your life,” Spiderman replied. Before I could reply he continued, “If you had killed Beetle tonight, it would’ve set you on a dark path. Trust me, I know. As heroes we must set a line not to cross, to keep us from becoming of the same skin as the ones we fight against.”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Killing him would’ve enacted justice!” I retorted, shocked that I was clashing with Spiderman on this topic. “He was going to rob an innocent man, possibly even kill him afterwards!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“So he planned to, but you prevented that from happening when you beat him in combat. Where killing him afterwards has to do with anything, I’m at a lost. Sure it would’ve permanently gave the world one less villain roaming around, but everyone should be given a chance to lament their past actions; to try to grow from it and possibly become better from it. Well, atleast that’s my thoughts on it, I’m constantly told I’m a hopeless optimistic at times but I firmly stand by my beliefs. Listen… um, well I hadn’t caught your name?”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“…Divinus-Vir,” I spoke, feeling strange to publicly call myself the title handed to me.</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

“Well, Divinus-Vir,” Spiderman said as he sat me down after we had finally landed upon a building. “I want you to ask yourself, ‘What kind of person do I want to be?’ ‘Do I care about how I’m perceived by the people?’ “ I knew I must’ve looked really skeptical, getting advice on life from Spiderman and all. No matter how awesome he might, be it still felt out of character and weird to me. Seeing that his words weren’t getting through to me, Spidey threw up his hands and sighed. “Listen, you’re new to this, I noticed that right away as I saw your fight. But there’s rules, boundaries, and countless unwritten commandments to this life we lead.” He turned his back as he prepared to leave, shooting out a line of web before looking back. “Someone once told me… ‘With great power comes great responsibility.’ It’s something to think about, Divinus-Vir. See ya!”</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"><span style="font-size:12px;">

And like that, Spiderman was gone, leaving me with a complicated mess of questions and things to ponder over the next few weeks.</span></span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="font-family:Impact;"><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Stay Tuned Next Week For Chapter II!</span></span></span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p>

• 5 months later...

Archived