Wwf/wcw: 2001

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag29/wwfvsnwa/WWF%202001/13777-invasionlogowcwwwf_zps43de6430.jpg

This is a new diary I have been planning for a while set in July of 2001 just as the 'invasion' had caught a little steam and before things went south. I'm using an updated version of Genadi's excellent 2001 mod so thanks to him for the data. I personally think the invasion we got in real life was poor and considered doing it from the start following the final nitro and 'doing it right', however I understand that cause of the circumstances the WWF couldn't have done much better, so instead I'm going from this point where it's already kicked off and the announcement of the Invasion PPV has been made. I'm also going to try and be as realistic as possible while trying to make a good invasion for example people like Jarrett, Savage and Luger who had burn't their bridges with the WWF will not be involved, Sting if he does become involved will be later on in the invasion due to him wanting to "see how things go without him" first. Scott Hall has a contract with NJPW until late in the year and Hogan is out injured so they are both unavailable right now too. I will now recap the happenings since March 2001 for people who don't know what was happening in the WWF at this time:

March 2001:

• WCW broadcasts the final Nitro from Panama City in which Booker T became the World Heavyweight Champion and Shane McMahon shocking appeared announcing he was the new owner of WCW.

April 2001:

• Wrestlemania 17 is in the books and will go down as possibly the greatest PPV of all time, it featured new WCW owner Shane McMahon beating his father Vince McMahon and Steve Austin's shocking heel turn and beating of The Rock. Some WCW wrestlers made brief appearances from the sky box.

• The two man power trip is formed as former enemies Triple H and Steve Austin align themselves with Mr McMahon and dominant WWF programming, soon holding the three most prestigious titles in the company.

• The Rock is wrote of television by an attack from the power trip as he heads to Hollywood to film for 'The Mummy Returns'.

• Shane McMahon's is often seen scouting talent in the backstage area, looking to add names to his WCW roster.

• Backlash 2001 is a massive success, headlines by the two man power trip taking on the brothers of destruction in what has been a captivating feud.

May 2001:

• Shane McMahon reveals his father has used his power to block networks from offering a time slot for WCW so instead he declares war on the WWF.

• Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit are pushed to the top of the card and begin feuding with the two man power trip. During a WWF tag team title match Triple H suffers torn quadriceps and is out of action for the rest of the year.

June 2001:

• DDP is unveiled as the Undertaker's wife's stalker, a move criticized by many in fans and reporters.

• Team RECK splits following King of the Ring as all four members were participants in the semi finals of the tournament, Edge went on to win the tournament beating Kurt Angle.

• Steve Austin successfully defends the WWF title against Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit in the main event, shortly after Benoit leaves WWF programming for surgery and will not return to television until mid next year. During the main event of KOTR, WCW World and US champion Booker T debuted, attacking Steve Austin and putting him through the announce table.

• On the June 28th edition of Smackdown it was announced that Fully Loaded had been changed to WWF/WCW inVasion and would feature brand war matches.

• WCW wrestlers slowly start to invade Raw and Smackdown, Lance Storm was the first to do so and soon after Mike Awesome attacked Rhyno in the backstage area and pinned him to become WWF Hardcore champion.

I like the sound of this :) I'll be keeping an eye on things. I particularly like the realistic-ness, with the names you mentioned not getting a look in. There was plenty of stars in the WCW to do a proper invasion, DDP being one of them. So they shouldn't need the likes of Luger, Savage, Hall, Hogan, Jarrett and Sting...

I just hope Goldberg comes in! and maybe Nash and Stiener too...

Archived