NWA: The Wrestling Showcase

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/NWABanner.jpg

Following the Royal Rumble in January 1991 former NWA World Heavyweight Champion Dusty Rhodes and his son Dustin had made plans to leave the World Wrestling Federation and join rival company World Championship Wrestling with Dusty Rhodes as part of the creative team. That was until the president of the National Wrestling Alliance Jim Crockett Jr. gave notice to WCW that he and the rest of the NWA board members were kicking World Championship Wrestling out of the NWA and taking it's title belts with it following multiple breaches of NWA Rules/Regulations by WCW and it's creative staff. This would lead to Crockett making a deal with former AWA Announcer/Marketing Expert Eric Bischoff to find a way to break his non-compete clause with Ted Turner, secure a solid 90 minute Television programming slot and begin the NWA as it's own promotion and entity.

This would lead to Crockett (And Bischoff) luring Dusty and Dustin into the NWA with promises of guaranteed contracts and Dusty being the head booker/Vice President of the entire organization. World Championship Wrestling definitely had the money to match the NWA but with the constant changing of the guard in WCW... who was to say that Dusty would last on the creative team? January 1991 would provide to be an interesting month for the Rhodes family as they would finish contractual obligations with the World Wrestling Federation while simultaneously beginning to scout for talent for the new NWA Brand's Television Show "The Wrestling Showcase" that would begin airing the first Tuesday in February.

Dusty and Dustin were meant to be back in WCW... but The American Dream will always have the Alliance in his blood.

<p>Wrestling Observer Interview with NWA Rep. Eric Bischoff (Week 3 January 1991)</p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>The Wrestling Observer's Exclusive Interview with NWA Representative Eric Bischoff</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/EricBischoff1.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/DaveMeltzer.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <em>The Wrestling Observer was able to sit down with NWA Talent Relations Representative </em><em><strong>Eric Bischoff</strong></em><em> about the upcoming debut of the NWA's new Television Program "The Wrestling Showcase" live on Cable Televisions "The Learning Channel". Bischoff and Observer reporter Dave Meltzer covered a variety of topics including Championships, Talents acquired and future plans for the National Wrestling Alliance's separation from World Championship Wrestling.</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Meltzer</strong>: Eric let's being this interview with the question on everyone's mind. Why has the National Wrestling alliance parted ways from World Championship Wrestling and taken the NWA World Heavyweight Championship with it?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bischoff</strong>: Dave that's a great question. Basically World Championship Wrestling's direction started to become further and further from what the vision of the National Wrestling Alliance was. The roster members, the backstage employees and the product being televised isn't the traditional NWA that fans have been behind for years... Harley Race's NWA, Dusty Rhodes' NWA or even Ric Flair's NWA. The product was killing the name of the NWA and the Evolution of WCW was turning into a digression of the NWA.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Meltzer</strong>: <em>"The Wrestling Showcase"</em> is set to debut in two weeks and we have yet to really get a grasp on what is going to be happening on the program.. Can we get a sneak peak of what we as the viewer are going to be treated to?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bischoff</strong>: I think the wrestling fan will be treated to a nice mix of modern day young talent, talented veterans and guys in between. We have set up a working relationship with <strong>All Japan Pro Wrestling</strong> and signed a managerial contract with <strong>Harley Race</strong> to scout some young Japanese guys and manage them on our program. <strong>Terry Gordy and Steve Wiliams</strong> are pretty known for being the hottest tag team in Japan right now and are ready to make that same name in the states after talking with <strong>Dusty Rhodes</strong>. We've sent feelers out to talent from Ireland, Mexico, Canada, Japan and Great Britain. We will be presenting a lot of the traditional NWA World Heavyweight Championship matches and NWA World Tag Team Championship matches but we've also added a NWA North American Division which is an Open Weight Division Championship that will feature the finest talents from any and all North American countries. That's where our Canadian, American and Mexican talent come into play with guys like talented lucha veteran <strong>Blue Panther</strong>, rising technical star <strong>Owen Hart</strong> and the high flying rookie <strong>The Lightning Kid</strong>. </p><p> </p><p> <strong>Meltzer</strong>: Future plans for the NWA?</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Bischoff</strong>: We are debuting our product at the World Famous <strong>Dallas Sportatorium</strong> and touring across the country every week to show WRESTLING fans that we are about wrestling. Our televised program is called "THE WRESTLING SHOWCASE" because we are showcasing what everyone else is ashamed of. In two weeks we are opening our show with <em>The Lightning Kid taking on Owen Hart in North American Division action, we are having two tag team matces, Paul Orndorff is taking on the young sensation 2 Cold Scorpio and Bam Bam Bigelow has set a challenge for the Main Event. If a better wrestling program exists on the first Tuesday of Februar</em>y... let me know and we will show that in our time slot instead!!!</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/NWAWrestlingShowcase.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <strong>NWA Wrestling Showcase</strong></p><p><strong> Tuesday Week 1 February 1991</strong></p><p><strong> Live from the Dallas Sportatorium</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> Quick Picks:</strong></p><p> The Lightning Kid vs. Owen Hart</p><p> The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams) vs. Sonny Rogers and Barry Horrowitz</p><p> The United Kingdom (Fit Finlay and Steven Regal) vs. The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)</p><p> Paul Orndorff vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p> Bam Bam Bigelow vs. ???</p></div></blockquote>

Quick Picks:

The Lightning Kid vs. Owen Hart

The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams) vs. Sonny Rogers and Barry Horrowitz

The United Kingdom (Fit Finlay and Steven Regal) vs. The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)

Paul Orndorff vs. 2 Cold Scorpio

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. ???

The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams) vs. Sonny Rogers and Barry Horrowitz

The United Kingdom (Fit Finlay and Steven Regal) vs. The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. ???

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. ???

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. ???

<p>The Lightning Kid vs. <strong>Owen Hart</strong></p><p>

<strong>The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams)</strong> vs. Sonny Rogers and Barry Horrowitz</p><p>

The United Kingdom (Fit Finlay and Steven Regal) vs. <strong>The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)</strong></p><p>

<strong>Paul Orndorff</strong> vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p>

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. <strong>???</strong></p>

I've simulated the first two weeks and have been pleasantly surprised at the Computer rankings of the matches/product tweaking I had to do to get to it. Results for Show One/Show Two preview/another Meltzer interview should be up by weeks end. Busy with Holiday stuff and hope all my GDS brethren have a safe/fun Holiday!

<p>The Lightning Kid vs. <strong>Owen Hart</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Well I hate the Lightning Kid in any of his gimmicks so I have to go with the bigger star which is Owen.</p><p>

</p><p><strong>

The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams)</strong> vs. Sonny Rogers and Barry Horrowitz</p><p> </p><p>

Something tells me Sonny and Barry are going to have a very rough night...</p><p> </p><p>

The United Kingdom (Fit Finlay and Steven Regal) vs. <strong>The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Paul Orndorff</strong> vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p> </p><p>

I was a huge fan of 2 Cold as a kid but even though Paul was a little long in the tooth at this point I still think he is the bigger draw.</p><p>

</p><p><strong>

Bam Bam Bigelow</strong> vs. ???</p>

<p><strong>The Lightning Kid</strong> vs. Owen Hart</p><p>

A underdog win could make him a 1 2 3 Kid...</p><p> </p><p>

<strong> The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams)</strong> vs. Sonny Rogers and Barry Horrowitz</p><p>

This is going to be one stiff match!</p><p> </p><p>

<strong> The United Kingdom (Fit Finlay and Steven Regal)</strong> vs. The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)</p><p>

Tough one to call, but I like Regal more than I like Dustin</p><p> </p><p>

<strong> Paul Orndorff </strong>vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p>

Orndorff begins a huge push with this win, right?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong> Bam Bam Bigelow</strong> vs. ??? </p><p>

First show, first Bam Bam Challenge...no way he can lose.</p>

<p>The Lightning Kid vs. <strong>Owen Hart</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Miracle Violence Connection</strong> (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams) vs. Sonny Rogers and Barry Horrowitz</p><p>

<em>Are you kidding?</em></p><p> </p><p>

The United Kingdom (Fit Finlay and Steven Regal) vs. <strong>The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)</strong></p><p>

<em>The Natural and Candido should get this one!</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Paul Orndorff</strong> vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p>

<em>It's too soon for 2 Cold Scorpio to get a win. In this one jobs to Mr. Wonderful</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bam Bam Bigelow</strong> vs. ???</p><p>

<em>The flames inside Bam Bam Bigelow will soon... consume... whoever who accepts his challenge... Bam Bam... Bam Bam.... BAM BAM BIGELOOOOOOOOOW! BUUUUUUUUUUURRRRNNNNN!!</em></p>

<p>The Wrestling Showcase Week 1 February</p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/NWAWrestlingShowcase.jpg</span><p> Tuesday Week 1, February 1991</p><p> Live from the Dallas Sportatorium (Dallas, TX)</p><p> Attendance: 3,000 People</p><p> TV Rating: .30</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> <strong>Announce Team: "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes and Eric Bischoff</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/DustyRhodes3.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/EricBischoff1.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> The announce team of Dusty Rhodes and Eric Bischoff kick off the first edition of "The Wrestling Showcase" in the ring together by announcing that we are live from the Dallas Sportatorium and have an amazing night full of surprises. Dusty plays his typical rambling American Dream on commentary schtick and Bischoff kind of plays Bischoff (You know what I'm talking about). </p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cA9gUspn6gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> <em>Smooth Operator by Sade interrupts Dusty and Eric speaking as they wonder who this could possibly be... the song goes all the way to the chorus when...</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/RickRude2.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Ravishing Rick Rude</strong> emerges from the curtain much to the shock of everyone in Dallas. Rude walks to the ring with his usual swagger and arrogance and enters the ring. Bischoff goes to grab him a microphone but Rude grabs Dusty's microphone and begins to speak...</p><p> </p><p> "What I'd like to have right now is for all you fat, weak, out of shape, Dallas, TX and TLC viewing audience wrestling fans do... is shut up and let me tell you about my return to wrestling and the National Wrestling Alliance. You see back in the 80s me and a guy named Manny Fernandez were the NWA World Tag Team Champions before I jumped to New York and played second fiddle to guys like Hogan and Savage"</p><p> </p><p> <em>Bischoff and Dusty look stunned as Rude continues</em></p><p> </p><p> "So after a few years of hell I decided I was going to leave wrestling last year... Turner tried calling me, Japan called me and hell even Mexico called me... and as much as I'd love to show the Geisha girls in Japan what a real man looks like or show the Mamacitas in Mexico the Ravishing way... I have a goal left in my mind of things I want to do before this career is said and done... I want the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. I want to be the guy who can go against ANYONE in the world on ANY given night and make them look like they are on my level... just so I can crush them and walk out with the paycheck and the women. I want five years from now for people to be saying "Rick Rude is the greatest NWA Champion of all time"... You see down in Atlanta they have a Rick that's a three letter word if you catch my drift</p><p> </p><p> <em>Before Rude can continue... a man is standing on the stage that the fans had yet to fully notice.</em></p><p> </p><p> "Rick that's great but I just don't think you are half the competitor that the "three letter word" and my good friend is."</p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/RickySteamboat0.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> Ricky Steamboat is revealed to the Dallas fans to a HUGE ovation as he walks and talks downt he ramp.</p><p> </p><p> "You see Rick you are good. You are top ten in the world right now good but you've never faced anyone like me. You've taken guys to the limit but I've never seen you walk away with the big one... That's alright though because when Dusty told me he was re-launching the NWA... I was in. I knew I wanted to be here instead of Atlanta or New York. I wanted to see what the hype about the DALLAS SPORTATORIUM was about! So Rick... as far as I know Dusty, Eric and Jim Crockett want to evaluate the talent of the NWA for tonight and next week before a formal announcement about the World Championship is made. Let's see what you got next week against ANYONE you want to face on the roster and we will see what I have as well against a hand picked opponent. Rick if you have what it takes the win the big one... then I'm fairly confident that it'll be me versus you for that Championship one day here soon."</p><p> </p><p> <em>Showcase cuts to a commercial break as Rude and Steamboat are face to face in the ring</em></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>The Lightning Kid vs. Owen Hart</strong></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/SeanWaltman.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/OwenHart2.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> Owen and Lightning Kid open up the show for the Dallas fans to what starts out as crickets but quickly turns into a fast paced and exciting match that the fans get into. Owen uses his Calgary mat training against Kid's high flying style quite well and has a counter for almost all of his moves... but Kid is able to catch Owen off guard on a number of occasion with a variety of roll-ups, kicks and high flying offense. Kid hits a running wheel kick later in the match that knocks Owen down and allows Kid to go up top... Kid attempts to go for a Moonsault Press on Owen as he gets up but Owen is able to back up... Kid lands on his feet but Owen quickly chop blocks Kid and locks in a Sharpshooter and submits him at the 12:44 second mark!</p><p> </p><p> Winner: Owen Hart via Submission</p><p> Meltzer Rating: C+</p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/BruceHart.jpg</span></p><p> <em>Owen's older brother Bruce appears at ringside to congratulate Owen for the win but also questions why he had to use a Chop Block to take out the Lightning Kid. Owen acts like he is listening to Bruce but is clearly annoyed at the morality lesson his older brother is attempting to give him.</em></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>The Miracle Violence Connection vs. Barry Horrowitz and Sonny Rogers</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/SteveWilliams5.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/TerryGordy3.jpg</span><strong> vs. </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/BarryHorowitz2.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/SonnyRogers.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> This match was as ugly as Lightning Kid vs. Owen Hart was pretty. Gordy gets a pretty big reaction from the Dallas crowd and plays to them as a babyface along with Dr. Death who's Oklahoma stomping grounds are just a few hours north. Gordy and Williams brutalize Rogers and Horrowitz and take it home at the 3:35 mark with a double team German Suplex/Big Boot to Barry!</p><p> </p><p> Winner: Miracle Violence Connection</p><p> Meltzer Rating: D+</p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/HarleyRace.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/AkiraTaue.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/ToshiakiKawada.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> Post-match Harley Race enters the ring and tells Miracle Violence Connection that he enjoys the style they just presented... but he has two clients from Japan that can do that style a lot better and are ready to face off with Gordy and Williams anytime they are ready. Gordy angrily grabs the microphone and demands to know where they are then?... before he can speak to much longer him and Dr. Death are blindsided by Akira Taue and Toshiaka Kawada! Kawada picks up Gordy and lays him out with a Powerbomb while Taue then picks up Gordy and hits a brutal chokeslam like manuever on him. Harley laughs and introduces the crowd to his "Holy Demon Army"</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/2ColdScorpio3.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/ShaneDouglas92.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <em>2 Cold Scorpio is shown warming up for his match against Paul Orndorff when another young standout by the name of Shane Douglas walks in. Douglas and Scorpio chat candidly about Scorpio's match with Orndorff and Douglas mentions that when Dusty signed him he said "You could be the face of the NWA one day". Douglas talks about how he plans on making a big splash tonight and Scorpio questions why Shane is already dressed in ring gear... Shane winks at Scorpio and tells him "I got a skyscraper to topple on my way to becoming the face of this company"... Scorpio looks confused but wishes him good luck as Shane leaves the locker room.</em></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>The United Kingdom (Dave Finlay and Steven Regal) vs. The Young Guns (Dustin Rhodes and Chris Candido)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/StevenRegal3.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/DaveFinlay.jpg</span><strong> vs. </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/DustinRhodes0.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/ChrisCandido2.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> A much more competitive tag team match up than the murdering of Barry and Sonny earlier in the night. Regal and Finlay use the experience advantage/European mat style to ground the babyface duo of Candido and Rhodes early on in the match but the young duo have some surprising moments of hitting some nice double team moves and looking like a threat vs. the European duo. Eventually Candido is able to hit Regal with a DDT and makes the tag to Dustin Rhodes.. who takes a second to try and fire the crowd up which allows Finlay to illegally enter the ring and attack the young Rhodes from behind/lay him out with a clothesline... this is all Regal needs to lock in a Regal Stretch and get the win at the 8:32 mark due to the inexperience of the Young Guns!</p><p> </p><p> Winners: The United Kingdom (Regal and Finlay)</p><p> Meltzer Rating: C</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Paul Orndorff vs. 2 Cold Scorpio</strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p></p><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/PaulOrndorff4.jpg</span><strong> vs. </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/2ColdScorpio3.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> Scorpio and Orndorff are on two opposite ends of the wrestling spectrum with Paul being experienced and equipping more of a bruising style and Scorpio being younger and more athletic. They however put in some work and battle it out in the ring for over 15 minutes with back and forth action. The match came to a surprising conclusion when Orndorff was able to roll out of the way of Scorpio's attempt at a 450 Splash and make his way back to his feet to hit a Piledriver... only for Scorpio to roll through on the attempt and hook Orndorff's legs to grab a HUGE upset win on the veteran at 17:20!</p><p> </p><p> Winner: 2 Cold Scorpio</p><p> Melter Rating: C</p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/JoeMalenko.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/DeanMalenko1.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> Scorpio's post match victory is short lived however as The Malenko Brothers emerge from the back and start putting the boots to Scorpio as Paul Orndorff collects himself. Orndorff grabs a microphone and discusses how whenever he got the call to come into the NWA that he had heard that Japanese talent would be available for all NWA shows and wanted to find himself an Insurance Policy. Instead he ended up finding two no nonsense submission expert brothers who remind him of two young hungry Orndorff's. Paul tells Scorpio that he may have lost tonight but in the end... the Orndorff Empire will rise to new heights. Joe, Dean and Paul then leave looking pleased.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Shane Douglas</strong></p><p><strong> </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/BamBamBigelow9.jpg</span><strong> vs. </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/ShaneDouglas92.jpg</span></p><p><strong> </strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> Shane Douglas ends up answering the challenge of Bam Bam to a mild reaction due to not being fully known by the Dallas crowd. Douglas does his best to win them over and actually has an amazingly surprising showing against the much bigger heel Bam Bam. He even knocks the big man off of his feet a few times after having to strike him down with punches, clotheslines and dropkicks. The finish came when Douglas went off the top rope for a cross body but Bam Bam caught him and was able to hit Greetings from Ashbury Park to end the match at the 14:27 mark with Shane Douglas probably walking away a bigger star just from his showing.</p><p> </p><p> Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow</p><p> Meltzer Rating: C+</p><p> </p><p> <em>Post-match Bam Bam grabs Douglas and seems like he wants to do more damage to the young man. Referees and officials enter the ring to try and stop Bam Bam but he easily shrugs them off. Eventually Dusty Rhodes tires of Bam Bam's actions and enters the ring to try and diffuse the situation. Bam Bam eventually grabs Dusty by the throat until...</em></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/NikitaKoloff.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> <em>Nikita Koloff emerges from backstage and into the ring and grabs Bam Bam. The two stare each other up and down and get face to face as the NWA sends company officials and a few babyfaces from the back to seperate these two massive forces as the first edition of "The Wrestling Showcase" comes to a dramatic conclusion.</em></p><p> </p></div></blockquote>

<div style="text-align:left;"><p><span style="font-family:'Arial Narrow';">always been a NWA wrestling fan. Will be following this. I have thought about doing a NWA dynasty for a while. Always wanted to do one around 1993 time period,I may still do one. Keep up the good work.</span></p></div><p></p><p></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="horseman4lyfe" data-cite="horseman4lyfe" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:left;"><p><span style="font-family:'Arial Narrow';">always been a NWA wrestling fan. Will be following this. I have thought about doing a NWA dynasty for a while. Always wanted to do one around 1993 time period,I may still do one. Keep up the good work.</span></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Appreciate the compliment. I love the NWA and feel like they had REALLY good stuff up until 1988 and then the magic was lost... hoping to re-create some of it!</p>

Yeah I figured it could ruffle some feathers. Paul will be booked a lot stronger as time goes on. The loss was just the impotus to start the story so a lot more could unfold. Orndorff is probably my number 2 heel as far as booking goes.

<p>Wrestling Observer Dirt Sheet (Week 2 Feb 1991)</p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>The Dirt Sheet by Wrestling Observer Reporter Dave Meltzer (Monday Week 2 Feb, 1991)</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/NikitaKoloff.jpg</span></p><p> <strong>The return of Koloff?</strong></p><p> Nikita Koloff has returned to the wrestling world after a hiatus to take care of his late wife Mandy who passed away from cancer in 1989. Koloff looks to be on an immediate collision course with Bam Bam Bigelow after rushing ringside to save long time friend Dusty Rhodes from the wrath of the "Beast from the East". Insider sources within the NWA have reported that Nikita is "In for the long haul" and they have secured him to a two year contract.</p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/RickySteamboat0.jpg</span><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/RickRude2.jpg</span></p><p> <strong>Rude vs. Steamboat?</strong></p><p> Rick Rude arrived on the scene in the National Wrestling Alliance on the debut edition of "The Wrestling Showcase" and made sure to make a few potshots towards other wrestling companies and make it known he wants the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. This would lead to the arrival of Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat who also is interested in once again achieving World Champion Status. An NWA Official has reported "It's not an IF Ricky and Rude face off in the ring... merely a when. These are two of the most underused stars in the industry and when they finally face off.. money is to be made"</p><p> </p><p> <span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91/2ColdScorpio3.jpg</span></p><p> <strong>The roll-up heard around the World?</strong></p><p> 25 year old wrestling sensation 2 Cold Scorpio made the biggest splash possible by defeating well known star Paul Orndorff in a grueling 17 minute match that showcased the youngster's amazing athletic ability. Scorpio is said to be in line for a major push in the coming months on "The Wrestling Showcase" along with other young NWA signees Dustin Rhodes, Chris Candido and Shane Douglas. It can also be reported that the company is very happy with Shane's match against Bam Bam Bigelow and have touted it as "Match of the Night" with second place going to the hotly contested opening bout between Lightning Kid and Owen Hart.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>The Wrestling Showcase</strong><p><strong> Week 2 February 1991 (Tuesday)</strong></p><p><strong> Live from the Knott Arena in Emittsburg, Maryland</strong></p><p><strong> </strong><span>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/macjap/NWA91%5B/b%5D/NWAWrestlingShowcase.jpg</span></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><strong>The Lightning Kid and Sonny Rogers</strong></strong><strong> both suffered losses last week with Kid coming out of his match certainly looking better than the Rogers/Horrowitz affair with Miracle Violence Connection. These two NWA Wrestlers look to each regain momentum this week as they face off in the opening bout of The Wrestling Showcase in what will surely help each man in his ranking within the company.</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><strong>Nikita Koloff</strong></strong><strong> made his debut last week by saving long time friend Dusty Rhodes. This week however he is set to take on wrestling veteran </strong><strong><strong>Barry Horrowitz</strong></strong><strong> who like his tag partner Sonny Rogers... is out for revenge. Is Barry Horrowitz dreaming big? Or will he wake up in a Russian Nightmare?</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><strong>Harley Race's Holy Demon Army</strong></strong><strong> will be making an in ring debut taking on the tag team of second generation wrestlers </strong><strong><strong>Bruce Hart and Eddy Guerrero</strong></strong><strong>. Bruce expressed displeasure with younger brother Owen last week and is hoping he can show Owen how to win a match in a fair/sportsmanlike manner. Will Harley's Holy Demon Army be able to take down two men who have wrestling bred into them?</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><strong>The Malenko Brothers</strong></strong><strong> have positioned themselves very well in the company by aligning with Paul Orndorff... but they have angered young upstart </strong><strong><strong>2 Cold Scorpio</strong></strong><strong>. NWA Officials have accepted young Scorpios request of a tag match against the Malenko Brothers with Scorpio's tag partner remaining a mystery. Will the wildcard be enough for Scorpio to continue his hot streak or will the Malenko Brother's tag team experience be the factor in who wins this match?</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><strong>Ricky Steamboat</strong></strong><strong> laid down the challenge to </strong><strong><strong>Rick Rude</strong></strong><strong> last week that they should both compete on this show against opponents of there own choosing. Steamboat has chosen long time Luchador </strong><strong><strong>Blue Panther</strong></strong><strong> as his opponent in what will sure be a high flying affair while Rude has demanded the Main Event spot against Rookie </strong><strong><strong>Chris Candido</strong></strong><strong>?! Many in the company feel Rude is wanting to make a statement by easily beating one half of the Young Guns... or will Candido make the biggest win of his first year in wrestling by shocking the world like 2 Cold Scorpio did just last week?!</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><strong>Quick Picks:</strong></strong></p><p><strong> The Lightning Kid vs. Sonny Rogers</strong></p><p><strong> Nikita Koloff vs. Barry Horrowitz</strong></p><p><strong> Bruce Hart and Eddy Guerrero vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaka Kawada</strong></p><p><strong> The Malenko Brothers vs. 2 Cold Scorpio and ???</strong></p><p><strong> Blue Panther vs. Ricky Steamboat</strong></p><p><strong> Rick Rude vs. Chris Candido</strong></p></div></blockquote>

The Lightning Kid vs. Sonny Rogers

Teaming with a jobber makes you a jobber. Sorry Sonny.

Nikita Koloff vs. Barry Horrowitz

Squaaassshhhhh.

Bruce Hart and Eddy Guerrero vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaka Kawada

It'll be Eddie's time eventually. But they're here to put these guys over for now.

The Malenko Brothers vs. 2 Cold Scorpio and ???

This is the rule of the mystery opponent. The Malenkos should serve as nice candidates to make Scorpio look good.

Blue Panther vs. Ricky Steamboat

Build, build build. Steamboat/Rude will be great.

Rick Rude vs. Chris Candido

Should be a pretty good match, hopefully Candido gets some wins soon.

I was never into the NWA, but the names you've brought in here have attracted me over. This is pretty cool and I enjoyed the first show. Keep it up.

I was never into the NWA, but the names you've brought in here have attracted me over. This is pretty cool and I enjoyed the first show. Keep it up.

I appreciate the kind words. I'm not really an NWA guy myself besides 1984-1988 era. I LOVE Rick Rude (Legit favorite heel ever) and Steamboat and both of them at the start of my game are technically unemployed with Rude joining WCW in October 1991 and Steamboat having a forgettable run with WWF and then re-debuting in WCW in 1991. I have both guys contracts running for 9 months and hopefully I'll have grown enough (Very small cult) to re-secure one of them.

The Lightning Kid vs. Sonny Rogers

Nikita Koloff vs. Barry Horrowitz

Bruce Hart and Eddy Guerrero vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaka Kawada

The Malenko Brothers vs. 2 Cold Scorpio and ???

Blue Panther vs. Ricky Steamboat

Rick Rude vs. Chris Candido

on a side note the idea of Rude vs Steamboat for the strap is something I'm looking forward to.

Archived