coordinators and philosophies

i notice that when you start the game the off and def philosophies do not match the coordinators off and def philosophies. what do we then do - look at players strengths and choose a philosophy and formations or switch to the philosophy of the coordinators. i do know this that in the real world if you hired coordinators that were not adept at the off and def philosophy that you are using you would get fired before the season started. a case in point was nebraska when they hired bill callahan. their personnel was not suited to a passing offense (west coast) but they still decided that that would be their long range plan so they selected their offensive philosophy on the strengths of the coach and then recruited players to fit their offense. i think when the game starts the players, coordinators and philosphies should match up.

For realism yes, for this game no. I have run the option for 14 seasons and have yet to hire an Option OC. I look for the OC's with the most blue's and green's to help develop my players. Same for the DC. I don't know how much of a "bonus" you get for hiring a OC/DC that matches your style, but I would rather get a coach that can make my players better.

Well what is the benefit of hiring a coach with the sam philosophy. I have done better with changing primary recommendations then not. I am becoming somewhat suspicious that some of this detail has little effect on the on field outcomes.

I think its a trade off between the quality of coach and the bonus of running his preferred style. I run Option and yet have never had an Option OC because they are too few and far between and either have awful ratings or are too expensive.

glad i noticed the problem. i completely agree that if there are conditions in the game that work out better for your program that is what you should do. however in terms of the realism of football this is not a good situation. in football option teams hire option coordinators w/o exception and so on down the line. in this situation the game should be set up that an option team can only hire an option coordinator. in real life how could you hire a coordinator who has spent his whole career tutoring qb's in the west coast offense and then say ok make this guy a reat option qb. now the game might allow you to do that and may even allow it to work out well but - the game should be changed in this respect. it is just too counter to the way football is played. the game does not necessarily have too be totally realistic but in this area i believe it does. bowl bound has the potential to be a good game but it is in areas like this where fine-tuning is definitely required.

Coaches evolve. When an offensive or defensive scheme proves to be successful, you tend to see a lot of other coaches try to copy or incorporate elements from those schemes into their own. If you are a coach specializing in the option offense and no one is running that particular offense, you either learn the the new system that is prevalent or you are unemployed. Of course, there are die-hards who have total faith in certain systems, and by God, if they are running the show they are going use this system or nothing. However, I think these type of coaches are more the exception rather than the rule. I would love to see coordinators handled like QBs in FOF. For example, the better intelligence a QB has, the more formations he tends to know as his career progresses. You could do the same thing with coordinators in this game -- listing what offensive and defensive schemes they are familiar with...even rating their ability to coach each system. As far as player development, I think that is a separate issue from the type of offensive or defensive schemes a team runs, especially since I think player development involves more of a mastering of the fundamental techniques rather than the intracacies of a specific system. Sure there are certain players who fit some systems better than others...but blocking, tackling, running routes...training players in these areas is pretty much the same regardless of the system you run.

Archived