FBCB throws Run-Time Error when save game loaded / corrupt save files (Virtual Box)

System:

FBCB full version in the trial window

Running in Virtual Box, Windows 7

Loaded and ran fine the first day.

Exited game, with the Exit -> Save and then Exit option

Attempting to load the game today, received “Run-Time Error, subscript out of range”

The save file lists 0 human teams and the last save from 12:00am 1899

So there’s clearly a problem with the save file

Oddly, I had the opposite problem with the demo, as it showed the same 0 human team, mixed up date thing if I saved from the save button, but was fine if I saved via Exit -> Save before exiting? -> Yes

If I save from the button rather than the choosing exit and save before exit, in the load a league menu, my save game still shows 0 human teams, but the date and time are correct. And the file loads without issue. This is also a league I created just to test and had not progressed through any time. This is a bit of mirage, as simming through some time shows.

Further testing appears to show that simming to the start of the Recruiting period appears to be the dealbreaker, as neither saves made prior to recruiting appear to be fine (no matter which method is used to save) but saving after Recruiting (I believe the Recruiting preview) via either save method, results in the corrupt save file.

I’m guessing this is a Virtual Box issue, as it would be fairly obvious if this were happening in native windows environments. We very quickly reach the end of my VB knowledge.

When I brought up the issue in an email to Scott V. about getting my forum registration sorted out, he asked “When you closed the game did you immediately shutdown the computer? Part of me is wondering if the save file got corrupted while the league file would have still been cleaning up after itself. “

I’m not shutting down Windows before FBCB closes. The progress bar for the save completes, the game window closes, and there’s at minimum several seconds before I subsequently shut down the Virtual machine.

Anyway, I’m stuck with VB as my only option for the foreseeable future, so if there’s a way to get this to work, I’m interested. Thanks.

-Scot

• 1 month later...

Archived