Defensive Post Game Reports

There are a couple of defensive statistics reported in the box scores of games that do not appear in the Defensive Post Game Reports. STUFFS: Box Score credits my SS with a stuff. Defensive Post Game Report does not. It appears that for defensive backs, that stuffs are not a recorded stat in the DPGR. Checking the SS's player card DOES show him being credited with a stuff in that particular game. HURRIES: Same Box Score credits my two OLB's with hurries (1 and 2 respectively). DPGR does not. It appears that for LBs, that hurries are not a recorded stat in the DPGR. As above, the player cards do show the hurries.

Roger- I used to feel the same way. I always call 100% of my plays. When I first got the game, I struggled with the results of my play calling. Like many posts on the board I felt I was not being correctly rewarded for all my pre-game scouting, knowing the right formations to be in, choosing normal, run, pass, etc., etc... Quite often I would remember those times/plays where I thought I got "shafted"...not very often did I remember when I got "lucky". I tried two things that now gives me a better understanding of what takes place beneath the surface of this sim during a game. First, because I did not understand the impacts of Advanced Scouting, I would take a lot of dollars out of this budget item that to me seemed that I had little control over anyways. Didn't know how it worked, could not manipulate it some way, therefore would put those monies in areas like recruiting, academics, etc. I have now maxed AS at $75,000 and have been watching the PBP a lot to see if I could ascertain the positive impacts. Arlie's comments in another one of my posts gave me some additional insights. The second thing I tried was to develop a post game spreadsheet: 1. OFFENSE A. POSITIVES: *great passes *created runs *great catches *key run blocks *pancake blocks B. NEGATIVES: *bad passes *missed holes *fumbles *dropped passes *bad routes *sacks allowed *false starts *missed blocks *holding calls 2. DEFENSE: A. POSITIVES: *sacks *deflected passes *QB hurries *stuffs *passes defended *INT *forced fumbles B. NEGATIVES: *missed tackles *mental errors *big plays allowed I only review this on a total team basis, not too concerned about individuals. I also capture the same info on my opponent that is available thru the box score. Can't get all the detail I see for my own team, but use what I have available. Seven games into the season I can observe the ebb and flow of these stats and try and see/understand the effects on my good or bad play calling. For instance, I thought I "called" a great game defensively, but the results weren't exactly as I thought they should have been. In this particular case when I looked at the defensive "negatives", I found that those three catagories were "up" over past games. I felt better it wasn't my coaching skill, but the dumb a-- players that couldn't execute my gameplan. In addition, the defensive positives were down. Anyways...in a game where the season is only 11-13 games in length, I keep trying to find an "edge" to help me with my play calling. I went back an re-started my season with the same team and schedule. The only change was to my budget to reallocate monies to max AS and started the spreadsheet. I "sense" that this has made a positive difference/impact on my games. I generally "feel" more comfortable with the results of my play calling. Although I can still call the right play and have the result go "south", I am now less likely to doubt the validity of the sim engine and attribute things to the vagaries that exist within the game of football itself.

I don’t see the benefit of going over the stats that I have already seen in game. I don’t need a recap of what worked and what didn’t. I was there. I tend to focus more on personnel than individual plays. Usually it comes down to having the right people on the field. I start with a good knowledge of who I have and what they can and cannot do. Then I pick the sets & formations that should work for them. After that it is a matter of execution and I have no control over that. By the way, Dave, thanks for the tip on advance scouting. I need to look into that more.

I agree with Dave and, in fact, I play the game in a very similar manner (FWIW). Seeing the "mistakes" really helps in calling plays/strategies. It also helps in finding some weak links (esp on D or the OL) that need to be replaced. If you have a crap RG, it doesn't matter how well you call your inside right running plays if he blows his assignment half the time. All it takes is one DT in the backfield to blow up what was a "great" play call.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn]I agree with Dave and, in fact, I play the game in a very similar manner (FWIW). Seeing the "mistakes" really helps in calling plays/strategies. It also helps in finding some weak links (esp on D or the OL) that need to be replaced. If you have a crap RG, it doesn't matter how well you call your inside right running plays if he blows his assignment half the time. All it takes is one DT in the backfield to blow up what was a "great" play call.[/QUOTE] That is a personnel problem. If I have a crap RG I am not running to his side if I can avoid it. I don’t need a recap to figure that out.

But sometimes you have 2-3 players that look "similar" in your scout's eyes. Using these postgame reports can really help determine which player actually performs better. Now, if you have a 4-star guy and a 1-star guy, it's not a big deal. But, in some of my careers, I've had three guards that all range in the 50-60/100 range. Looking at the postgame reports have helped me determine which is really the best guy from a performance standpoint.

Archived