Coach Choate tries to make his mark

[b][u]Scheduling[/b][/u] Another tough conference season, and we have better teams that we'll be playing for our out of conference schedule. We didn't go for the big out of conference games, and instead settled for more of the mid-range teams. I did pull out a coup and got Grambling State to come to us, which means a team from my original neck of the woods will be playing here! Week Opponent 1 Grambling State 2 Cal Poly 3 OPEN 4 at Wofford 5 Elon 6 at Chattanooga 7 Western Carolina 8 Furman 9 The Citadel 10 OPEN 11 at Bucknell 12 at Georgia Southern 13 at Holy Cross 14 OPEN 15 Northwestern State My outstanding AD put us on the road at two weaker opponents at the end of the season to pad our stats and record, plus helping our SOS by them being on the road.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[b][u]Other teams to follow[/u][/b] [i] Last season, Princeton finished 7-4, with a 4-3 record in conference. Current coach Bob Huard could be on the hot seat if he doesn't finish at least as well as last year. The Tigers have 21 seniors graduating at the end of 2006 and 30 incoming freshmen, so the next few years could be very lean indeed as the younger guys are developing.[/i]

[b][u]Preseason Media Poll[/b][/u] 1. Massachusetts 2. Montana 3. Delaware 4. Montana State 5. Western Kentucky 6. Eastern Washington 7. Northern Iowa 8. [i]Furman[/i] 9. Maine 10. Villanova 11. Idaho State 12. Portland State 13. Northeastern 14. [i]Georgia Southern[/i] 15. William & Mary 16. [b]Appalachian State[/b] 17. [i]Wofford[/i] 18. James Madison 19. Harvard 20. Western Illinois 21. McNeese State 22. Illinois State 23. Richmond 24. New Hampshire 25. Northern Arizona *Italics denote scheduled game*

[b][u]Preseason Coaches Poll[/b][/u] 1. Massachusetts 2. Montana 3. Delaware 4. Montana State 5. Western Kentucky 6. Eastern Washington 7. [i]Furman[/i] 8. Northern Iowa 9. Maine 10. Villanova 11. Idaho State 12. [i]Georgia Southern[/i] 13. Northeastern 14. Portland State 15. [b]Appalachian State[/b] 16. William & Mary 17. [i]Wofford[/i] 18. James Madison 19. Harvard 20. Western Illinois 21. McNeese State 22. Illinois State 23. New Hampshire 24. Richmond 25. Northern Arizona *Italics denote scheduled game*

[b][u]Coach Choate's Preseason Thoughts[/u][/b] As we head into the 2006 season on the heels of an extremely successful 2005 season, one thing remains constant: we want to return to the national championship game and win it again. It will be tough, just as tough or tougher than last year, because everyone wants to knock off the defending champs. We'll be hard pressed at every turn to return to where we were last year. We have all the bulletin board material that we need coming from the pollsters, since we're returning a good many key starters and we had huge development from a lot of players. 15th in the coaches poll and 16th in the media poll? Give us a break. The defending national champions should get more respect than that, so I've got the guys pumped up for the beginning of the season and time to go out and tear some teams to ribbons.

[b][u]Week One[/b][/u] It's that time again, time for the kickoff of the Appalachian State Mountaineers college football season! We open up with a game against one of the best team in the Southwest Athletic Conference in Grambling State. A game that has some value for me, since they're the closest school to my alma matter of Louisiana Tech, I want to send GSU back to Louisiana in a humble and contrite mood. Sophomore QB Larry Richards leads them into battle, and he's got an All American type receiver in Jacquez Alstott to throw to. Jason Grossman, LeRoy Holloway and Steve Bowie the tight end are all excellent receivers, so our secondary will get work all day. Senior Vernon Weaver will be their top rusher, but he's not too special. Defensively, FS Rich Ivy is their cornerstone, but it's not really a standout defense. We could really tear them up on the ground and in the air if we jump out early [u]First Quarter[/u] GSU gets the ball first, and we hold them to 3 and out. On our second play from scrimmage, Vince Norton hurts his knee, and we have to stretcher him off. Not good. We move the ball down the field well with a balance though, and Carey Jacobs hits Wayne Smith for a 5 yard touchdown! GSU marches back down the field on us methodically before Richards hits Grossman for a 23 yard touchdown. Jacobs goes to Doornink, but the pass is caught and fumbled, where GSU returns it to our 16. We drop them for a four yard loss then a 13 yard sack to force a punt down to our 4. 4 yard run by Ellis to the 8, and on play action, Ellis bursts up the middle and catches a pass and takes it 62 yards to the GSU 30. 3 plays later, Jacobs hits Louis Sweet for a 12 yard touchdown pass. GSU runs a few plays and the clock runs out for the end of the first quarter. [i]ASU 14, GSU 7[/i] [u]Second Quarter[/u] We hold early and force a punt, down to our own 5. We move out to midfield before Jacobs gets sacked and fumbles it down at midfield. We force a punt after a couple of plays and it goes for a touchback. Center Todd Adams gets his neck injured, and he gets helped off the field. We can't get a first down, so we punt it away. 3 and out for GSU, and we move the ball out to the 39 before Carey Jacobs takes a huge shot, and now our starting quarterback is headed off the field, and true freshman Bill Davis heads in. One incompletion, and he tosses a pick! GSU takes the short field and cashes in with 2:17 left for a touchdown to tie the game. Davis tosses 3 incompletions, and we punt it away again. We force a 3 and out and get the ball back with 3 seconds left. Davis scrambles around for the deep ball, but gets sacked to end the half. [i]ASU 14, GSU 14[/i] [u]Third Quarter[/u] Nothing doing on the first drive of the second half and we punt. 3 and out for GSU, and Bill Davis engineers a good drive with 3rd string speedster QB Rod Pinkard coming in a sneaking off for a 20 yard gain before Jonathon Ellis drives in from 7 out for a touchdown! 3 and out for GSU, and we punt again after that. Another big punt by GSU after we stop them, and it's our ball at the 6 yard line. We move the ball out some but get stopped, and Andre Thomas booms a kick, but their returner Nate Delhomme takes it 87 yards to the house to tie the game back up. 3 and out, so we punt it to end the 3rd quarter. [i]ASU 21, GSU 21[/i] [u]Fourth Quarter[/u] After a few plays, Richards goes deep, and Barrett Wiley steps in front of the deep ball and picks it off, taking it back 83 yards for the score! Another couple of plays, and Hoyle Comella gets into the action with a pick! It's another 3 and out for us after an unneccesary roughness on Johnathon Cappadona. GSU moves for a pair of first downs before Richards goes deep to Alstott, and it pays off for a 58 yard touchdown strike. Carey Jacbos comes back out of the locker room with his jaw wired shut, and he immediately hits Mike Doornink for a 47 yard gain! We can't move any more, and Zimmerman hits a 47 yard field goal to get us back ahead. Richards gets picked off again, this time by Duane Jones, and he takes it to the GSU 22. We run the ball, and Jacobs comes back out to save him for a possible last drive if something goes wrong. Nothing goes wrong as Davis hits Doornink for a 2 yard touchdown to give us a 10 point lead with 2:00 left. GSU can't move the ball and turn it over on downs so we run the clock out and pick up our first win of the season! [i]ASU 38, GSU 28[/i] Not nearly the game I was hoping for, but we were only an 8 point favorite coming into the game. Our biggest problem today were injuries, with a season ending injury to Vince Norton, and now number 2 receiver Wayne Smith is questionable, along with starting QB Carey Jacbos. On the defensive side, Jesse Blair and Terry Nix are both probables with minor injuries. Our run defense held GSU to 30 yards, and the high powered passing attack was kept in check most of the game and held to less than 300 yards. [b]Total Yards 460-293 Passing 342-263 Rushing 118-30 TOP 34:15-25:45[/b] [b]ASU Stats[/b] [u]Passing[/u] C. Jacobs 13-16 231 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT B. Davis 14-24 100 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT R. Pinkard 1-1, 11 yards [u]Rushing[/u] J. Ellis 30-105, 1 TD R. Pinkard 1-20 J. Cappadona 4-16 C. Jacobs 1-0 [u]Receiving[/u] J. Ellis 10-153 M. Doornink 9-121, 1 TD W. Smith 3-30, 1 TD J. Cappadona 2-21 L. Sweet 3-15, 1 TD R. Muhammad 1-2

Archived