Kudos: Graphics

I disagree. My first thought was "Gigawatt Studios is back!!!" On further review, it's not as bad as the interface design for FOF2001, but I'm not going to heap a bunch of praise on them either. The colors and background is distracting, it's sometimes hard to find the info that I need, and every so often the buttons quit working for some reason. Of course, this is my opinion, and worth about what you paid for it.

Are the buttons still not working at times in 1.04? I know that was an issue with 1.03, but I have gotten PMs from the three of the people that had issues with this in 1.02 and 1.03 - and each have said they haven't had an issue with this in 1.04. So, if it still exists, I'd like to fix it.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn]Are the buttons still not working at times in 1.04? I know that was an issue with 1.03, but I have gotten PMs from the three of the people that had issues with this in 1.02 and 1.03 - and each have said they haven't had an issue with this in 1.04. So, if it still exists, I'd like to fix it.[/QUOTE] This might be a tricky fix, because I can't reproduce it, and it might be explainable with something like slow processing times (like a minute or more - long enough to think lockup), but I'll try to explain what happened the two times I saw it with 1.04: * The first time I was trying to change someone's position. I hit the cancel button, but that didn't work. So I said OK. It asked "Are you sure?" Neither button worked. Lockup. Ctrl-Alt-Del. * The second time was on the same screen. I'm not quite sure what I was doing, but it might have been another position change. Much the same thing - neither highlighted button worked and the computer seemed to stall. I'll try to take better notes if it happens again - which I hope it doesn't. In the meantime I've been saving much more frequently.

[QUOTE=Honolulu Blue]I disagree. My first thought was "Gigawatt Studios is back!!!" On further review, it's not as bad as the interface design for FOF2001, but I'm not going to heap a bunch of praise on them either. The colors and background is distracting, it's sometimes hard to find the info that I need, and every so often the buttons quit working for some reason. Of course, this is my opinion, and worth about what you paid for it.[/QUOTE] Please, don't ever, and I mean EVER, mention me with Gigawatt in the same sentence again. :D I am curious though: what type of info is difficult to find. That was one of the top goals when designing the interface. Every screen you need is one click away no matter which stage you're in. I think this game requires fewer clicks than any other text sim out there with comparable depth. Is the difficulty more a fuction of knowing what's on each screen? Navigation within specific screens? Arlie and I would really appreciate an example to understand you better. Sometimes when you're designing something like this, you can lose some perspective because it's so clear in your own head. Thanks.

Thanks for replying, Jason. [QUOTE=Jason Warholic]I am curious though: what type of info is difficult to find. That was one of the top goals when designing the interface. Every screen you need is one click away no matter which stage you're in. I think this game requires fewer clicks than any other text sim out there with comparable depth. Is the difficulty more a fuction of knowing what's on each screen? Navigation within specific screens? Arlie and I would really appreciate an example to understand you better. Sometimes when you're designing something like this, you can lose some perspective because it's so clear in your own head. Thanks.[/QUOTE] A few quick examples: 1) I want to find the boxscore for the game against Nevada in game 11 of 2005 (it's 2009). Where is it? How do I get to it? 2) I'd like to find the career stats for some journeyman who played for me a few games in a couple of seasons, but not in the current season. In other words, he didn't make the Hall of Fame. Where can I find it? 3) How do I find the HTML link for a particular player? 4) How do I access the complete breakdown of grades for my team in a season other than the most current one? 5) How do I find a list of all my All-WAC players for any year? Can I print it out?

[QUOTE=Honolulu Blue] A few quick examples: 1) I want to find the boxscore for the game against Nevada in game 11 of 2005 (it's 2009). Where is it? How do I get to it?[/quote] Box scores are only stored for the current season. Saving every box score ever created would be murder for storage and performance down the road in long careers. [quote]2) I'd like to find the career stats for some journeyman who played for me a few games in a couple of seasons, but not in the current season. In other words, he didn't make the Hall of Fame. Where can I find it?[/quote] Do the following: 1. Click the "History" main menu option. 2. Click the "Career archive" line item from the menu to the left. 3. Change the filter to your team and the stat type to what you are looking for (passing, rushing, defense, ...). You may also need to de-select "Show only qualifiers" if he didn't play much. You will then see a list of every player that had a recordable stat in that area in the history of your program. if you are in 2009 and a backup QB had one pass attempt in 2005, you will see his name and career stats here. You can also double click the player's name to see his career player card which includes year-by-year and career stats, as well as any awards he won. [quote]3) How do I find the HTML link for a particular player?[/quote] From the box score, just click on his name in the box score. From the historical archive or player stats screens, simply double click his name. [quote]4) How do I access the complete breakdown of grades for my team in a season other than the most current one?[/quote] Click History and "Team Archive" and you can see the overall grade for any season you (or any other team) has played. The game does not store each sub-grade from season to season, but you can see the overall grade, overall record, conference record, postseason result, any championships won (conf or league) and a text result of the season (ie, "Won the California Bowl" or "Finished 6th in the conference"). By clicking "Leaders Archive", you can see the passing, rushing and receiving leader for any team for any season played. It also shows the team MVP for that season. [quote]5) How do I find a list of all my All-WAC players for any year? Can I print it out?[/QUOTE] Select "Awards archive" and change the conference to "WAC". You can then cycle through all the award winners in that conference for any season played. There is no printing option for that screen.

Thanks for the help, Arlie. On #3, I apologize for not being clearer, but what I was really asking is in the playercard sub-sub-sub-sub-sub directory, there are a bunch of HTML files. How can I determine which one of these is for the player I'm interested in without running a search? I can't find where this file name & location pops up in the game.

[QUOTE=pstrickert]Someone (Jason Warholic, I presume), IMO, has done a great job with the graphical design of this game. Colors, layout, presentation . . . all top-notch. It's nice to know that a quality game like BBCF can look good, too! Good work![/QUOTE] I agree as well. The interface is very well done and the presentation is very intuitive and easy on the eyes. -Cork55

[QUOTE=Honolulu Blue]Thanks for the help, Arlie. On #3, I apologize for not being clearer, but what I was really asking is in the playercard sub-sub-sub-sub-sub directory, there are a bunch of HTML files. How can I determine which one of these is for the player I'm interested in without running a search? I can't find where this file name & location pops up in the game.[/QUOTE] Ah, it's all by player ID. You can get a player's ID by using the stats.dat file (syncing their name IDs and Team ID in the playerstats table with the name tables).

On the not being able to click issue, the only time I ever see this, and this is curious, is when I want to click on a box score while the games are simming. If I play my team's game, when its over and the other teams are simming, I can click the boxscore. If I just sim the entire week, I can't click on any boxscore until the week is finished simming. Just seems curious, don't know if that's normal or not.

The buttons quit working on me again! It was under the same circumstances I described above, so I'll quote it here: [QUOTE=Honolulu Blue]* I was trying to change someone's position. I hit the cancel button, but that didn't work. So I said OK. It asked "Are you sure?" Neither button worked. Lockup. Ctrl-Alt-Del.[/QUOTE] I thought I had saved the game just before then, but I had last saved before recruiting. Meaning I lost 1 1/2 hours of gametime. Argh.

Archived