Great title to attract readers: A new BCF dynasty in 2015!

<p><strong><span style="font-size:12px;">BCF: Kuqi vs Kapur</span></strong></p><p>

Saturday Week 3 of December, 2005 in London</p><p>

Broadcast by United Kingdom Choice (PPV)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Prelims:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Scott Gillespie (9-7) vs Matt Kerr (9-2) at welterweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The first round starts with a rather even striking battle, until at the latter part Kerr takes the fight to the clinch and controls Gillespie, beating him up with elbows and knees. In the second round Kerr starts to take control at distance also, picking his shots and mixing up body and head attacks to keep Gillespie guessing. A similar pattern carries on until the end of the fight. An entertaining bout, should be no question that Kerr takes this.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Matt Kerr (10-2) defeats Scott Gillespie (9-7) by unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 30-26).</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Kerr calls out Ragnar Gunnlaugsson next. Could happen.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Nigel Collett (11-5) vs Darren Fry (8-3) at lightweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Collett comes in looking sharp, seemingly landing every shot he chooses to, flooring Fry in the early going and being close to finishing it. The finish eventually comes early in round two as a massive left hook puts Fry out. A very lopsided fight, I guess Fry just isn’t good enough to compete in BCF.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Nigel Collett (12-5) defeats Darren Fry (8-4) by KO (punches) at 1:39 of round 2.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Hans-Peter Schneider (20-12) vs Augustus Shorrock (11-6) at middleweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Schneider looks for a takedown early and though Shorrock stuffs the initial shot, the German keeps with it and trips the Irishman to the floor. From the top position Schneider clasps his hands behind Shorrock’s neck and applies a tight neck crank from the guard and Shorrock has no way out but to tap. Impressive win for Schneider, who really needed it.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Hans-Peter Schneider (21-12) defeats Augustus Shorrock (11-7) by submission (neck crank) at 1:22 of round 1.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jeremy Hunt (10-1) vs Lenny McFadden (18-5) at light heavyweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Early in round one Hunt gets an easy takedown and forces McFadden to give up his back. Though he lands good ground and pound and threatens with the choke, Hunt cannot finish McFadden who battles his way back up and turns the tables, landing a takedown of his own. In the second round the Scottish veteran gets to keep his distance and use his heavy hands on the feet, dropping Hunt and following up with some big punches that knock him out cold! </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Lenny McFadden (19-5) defeats Jeremy Hunt (10-2) by KO (punches) at 1:07 of round 2.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Fumiyaki Hayashi (23-10) vs Dominick Oppenheimer (10-7) at lightweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

A dramatic first round has the fans out of their seats as Oppenheimer surprises everyone by putting in a good striking effort against the Japanese legend. It is later in the round when the fight ends up in the clinch that more drama unfolds, as Oppenheimer defends a Hayashi takedown by grabbing the cage, yet the referee does not punish him. In the second round Hayashi clinches once again and this time lands some big strikes, dropping the Englishman with an uppercut. More punches land on the floor, with Hayashi eventually mounting Oppenheimer and delivering a relentless barrage of ground and pound, enough so that the Englishman taps out. Fantastic fight.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Fumiyaki Hayashi (24-10) defeats Dominick Oppenheimer (10-8) by submission (punches) at 3:09 of round 2.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Gregory O’Hara (13-3) vs Jesse Hill (9-1) at lightweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Hill looks to tie up and take O’Hara down early and often. He manages to trip the Irishman to the floor after some struggle, but cannot seem to advance or offer much meaningful offense. O’Hara looks for armbars off his back, but Hill’s defense is too solid. In the second round O’Hara comes forward with an aggressive boxing attack and has a lot of success backing Hill up with combinations. Hill tries to take him down again but this time O’Hara is equal to it, taking round two. More punches land for O’Hara in the third round and when Hill tries to close the distance it is the Irishman that lands a big slam, gets on top and passes guard for good measure. Good fight and should be a solid comeback win for O’Hara.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Gregory O’Hara (14-3) defeats Jesse Hill (9-2) by unanimous decision (29-28 x3).</p><p> </p><p>

O’Hara calls out Sid Morgan next. Probably doesn’t make sense since Morgan is coming off a loss, but we’ll see.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Colm Dee (21-8) vs Manish Khan (14-7) at featherweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

A mysterious first round sees Dee show a new wrinkle to his game, pulling guard and sweeping Khan over, claiming mount and back positions throughout the first five minutes. In the second round Dee pulls Khan to guard once again, but is unable find the sweep and get on top. In the final round the two former boxers finally trade some punches, but it is Dee that gets the better of that, too, knocking Khan down with a big right hand. The fight ends with Dee firmly in control, and this should be a win for the Irishman.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Colm Dee (22-8) defeats Manish Khan (14-8) by unanimous decision (30-27 x3).</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Main card:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Herman Mitchell (8-0) vs Jaime Gil (8-2-1NC) at featherweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

After some measuring on the feet and a good head kick landed by Gil, the Spanish fighter dives under Mitchell’s punches and takes him to the ground. A vicious elbow cuts the newcomer open and after some big punches from the guard Gil sinks in a neck crank submission and forces the tap! A very impressive performance from Gil and the second neck crank for the night, although there have only been 3 in BCF history.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Jaime Gil (9-2-1NC) defeats Herman Mitchell (8-1) by submission (neck crank) at 2:30 of round 1.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Benjamin Morgan (8-0-1NC) vs Viacheslav Chaliapin (16-5) at welterweight</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong></p><p>

The fight ends up in the clinch right from the start, and it only takes seconds for Morgan to hip toss the Russian veteran on his back and lock in a sharp kimura that ends the fight. No time wasted there, that might be a record. The Peacemaker is not messing around.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result: </strong>Benjamin Morgan (9-0-1NC) defeats Viacheslav Chaliapin (16-6) by submission (kimura) at 0:53 of round 1.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Swithens Corcoran (10-1) vs Fernando Peragon (16-5) at featherweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Corcoran does not touch gloves, instead going right at the Spanish fighter with big punches. Peragon tries to get in close at a couple of occasions, but the Irishman keeps his distance well and punishes his opponent with effective counters, dominating all of round one.</p><p> </p><p>

A number of combinations land for Corcoran early in round two and a straight right wobbles Peragon badly. Corcoran launches himself at his foe and smashes him with another right hand that puts Peragon out. Another fantastic fight and a brutal finish.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Swithens Corcoran (11-1) defeats Fernando Peragon (16-6) by KO (punches) at 1:17 of round 2.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Nimrod Wickhammersley (14-0) vs Michael Bannon (15-9) at heavyweight</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Despite his reputation as a light puncher the lanky Wickhammersley manages to hurt Bannon at the two minute mark of the first round and drop him with a follow up head kick. As he wails away at the grounded Bannon, the crafty veteran throws up his guard and sinks in a triangle choke. The 25-year old is too late in defending and has no choice but to tap in rather disappointing fashion. A good win for Bannon, though.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Michael Bannon (16-9) defeats Nimrod Wickhammersley (14-1) by submission (triangle choke) at 4:33 of round 1.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Main event:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Roope Kuqi (13-0) vs Rav Kapur (16-0) for the BCF heavyweight championship</strong></p><p> </p><p>

The champion establishes control early, getting the clinch and landing a takedown despite Kapur’s efforts to separate. An action packed scramble ensues as Kapur briefly winds up on top in north south position before Kuqi scoots out and fights his way back to the feet, grabbing Kapur’s back in the clinch. The Finn gets another takedown but Kapur bounces right back to his feet, though he cannot separate from the clinch before the round ends. Wow, I feel dizzy.</p><p> </p><p>

Kuqi lands another takedown early in round two and though Kapur gets back to his feet, he cannot keep the relentless Finn off him enough to land his strikes. The fans are starting to get frustrated, but the important question is whether Kapur is, too.</p><p> </p><p>

Kuqi comes to the third round perhaps a little too comfortable, jabbing away and leaving his hands out there a bit too long as Kapur capitalizes with a brutal right hook to the ribcage, bending Kuqi in half and dropping him! The Finn is able to gather his bearings quickly and defend himself well, but Kapur sent a serious storm warning there. Kuqi gets back to his feet but the Englishman lands some hard low kicks to end the round in control.</p><p> </p><p>

The champion starts the fourth round sharper, getting to the clinch right away and working his takedowns. It takes him half the round to wrestle Kapur to the floor, and even then he cannot quite hold him there for good effect. He does nullify the challenger enough to probably take the round, though.</p><p> </p><p>

A lot of clinching and failed takedown attempts are the theme of the final round, and the heavyweight championship ends in rather anti-climactic fashion as neither fighter is successful in implementing their game - perhaps that is exactly Kuqi’s game plan in this round, as he seems to be ahead. Difficult to say what the judges will write down, but I’m feeling the upset and the first successful title defense for Roope Kuqi.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Result:</strong> Roope Kuqi (14-0) defeats Rav Kapur (16-1) by unanimous decision (49-46, 48-47 x2) to retain the BCF heavyweight championship.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Post Show Thoughts:</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Bonuses: $2500</p><p> </p><p>

FotN: Corcoran & Peragon</p><p>

KotN: Corcoran</p><p>

SotN: Bannon</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

2690 people were in attendance in London for a gate of $369,875. Ratings were 61% commercial and 74% critical for a popularity growth rate of 1.9%. $2,080,000 was made off PPV sales.</p><p> </p><p>

Back when I signed Roope Kuqi in 2001, I believed he’d be a good heavyweight prospect and maybe compete for the championship, but defeating Ozzy Bintley and Rav Kapur back to back in championship fights is definitely more than living up to his potential. The 25-year old Finnish fighter is still likely some ways from his peak physically, which I’m hoping will translate to more versatile efforts and finishes, although overly criticizing an undefeated young fighter who holds a major championship is perhaps a little silly.</p><p> </p><p>

Michael Bannon got his second straight heavyweight win and advanced to 4-2 in his second BCF stint. At 36 Bannon is suddenly at a high point in his career, with +2 momentum and over high level regional popularity and moved into the divisional top 10 in BCF. I don’t personally see him competing for a title unless injuries change my plans, but his name value and momentum make him a good opponent for some other significant heavyweight coming up.</p><p> </p><p>

Swithens Corcoran is back to being a featherweight contender after two stellar knock outs, the recent one definitely his most impressive so far. Beating Fernando Peragon means a lot in the European scene, and the 27-year old Irishman became the first to knock the tough Spaniard out. As important as his recent strong performances is the impression that he is improving steadily at other areas of his MMA toolkit at Hall of Conquest in London. A fight or two will show us more of the extent to which he has improved, and whether he is ready for a title shot. </p><p> </p><p>

With a third consecutive submission victory over a solid mid-level opponent, Benjamin Morgan has shown himself ready for a stiffer test. The undefeated 25-year old is becoming a popular entity thanks to his undefeated record and convincing performances, and will likely be in key welterweight match ups from now on. His grappling is obviously stellar, but I would like to see him improve his striking - good thing he is currently visiting Bulldog Gym and has reportedly shown some gains in the training room.</p><p> </p><p>

While Spain’s Fernando Peragon took a tough defeat on the main card, it wasn’t all bad for the Mediterranean country as Jaime Gil made short work of Herman Mitchell and his undefeated record, scoring a first round submission to follow up his two prior BCF victories. On a three fight winning streak and 4-1 total in the company, Gil is still developing but seems to be getting closer to big match ups. At 29 he will need to be ready to take a step up in competition next, especially as the featherweight division currently lacks depth at the mid level - there are a few elite fighters and a lot of up and coming talent that is probably not ready to face them yet. </p><p> </p><p>

The preliminary card held a number of important match ups with results that will help shape divisions going forward. Colm Dee made a successful return after losing to featherweight champion Snorri Gunnarsson, defeating Manish Khan in a three round thriller, while lightweights Gregory O’Hara and Fumiyaki Hayashi scored strong victories to re-establish their relevance near the top of the lightweight class. </p><p> </p><p>

Lenny McFadden scored his first BCF victory since 2001 and it was one of his best yet as the Scottish veteran knocked out Jeremy Hunt in impressive fashion. McFadden’s popularity and experience make him an important part of the burgeoning light heavyweight division. At middleweight, German veteran Hans-Peter Schneider secured his BCF future with a submission of Augustus Shorrock, finally breaking a four fight losing streak.</p><p> </p><p>

Finally, lightweight knock out artist Nigel Collett got back to his agenda by dispatching of Darren Fry, while welterweight prospect Matt Kerr outworked Scott Gillespie. Both of these fighters could prove highly successful and useful fighters in their respective divisions, but their neutral momentum and mixed results of late mean that we still need to see some more before making any bigger plans.</p><p> </p><p>

Darren Fry, Scott Gillespie and Augustus Shorrock will not have their contracts renewed for now.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong><span style="font-size:12px;">Predictions:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

MasterSkuxly: 8/11</p><p>

Brycec03: 7/11</p>

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello everyone. I am currently very busy with university work and other interests that take much of my time. I have not been able to write the dynasty up to the quality I'd have liked, which has made it a bit stale the last few weeks. With that being the case, I can't promise any kind of pace you may have been used to in updating the dynasty, since I don't want to just slog along day after day and write a bad text and make it feel like work. I'll write when I feel the urge and may only update the thread occasionally. What this hopefully does is that we'll see less frequent, bigger updates with a higher quality.

Hey man university is really important, I understand you need to focus on that. I've got my last university exam for the year coming up, so I understand that you have limited time. Don't feel pressured to pump out updates, I'm all good with whatever pace you set. Good luck with your university work!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey man university is really important, I understand you need to focus on that. I've got my last university exam for the year coming up, so I understand that you have limited time. Don't feel pressured to pump out updates, I'm all good with whatever pace you set. Good luck with your university work!

Agreed. Enjoy catching up on this when i can & its actually a quality read which doesnt need rushed.

Archived