[HYPE] The Video Game Verse

Hi there folks, I've always been interested in creating my own Universe in TEW, with a love and passion for both wrestling and video games, I wanted to make a Universe based off of the great industry that is the Video Game Industry. I will love to hear all input, feedback and advice on this. The premise is simple, the companies are Video game companies and the wrestlers are the characters that are in them such as classics like Mario up to the modern day video game characters that we'll see as the years go on.

Premise

The year is 1980, and Atari rules the world...

With the release of the Atari 2600 in the late seventies, the company has seen a rise in popularity that has brought this new and young medium of Video Games into the mainstream and hopes to transcend the new decade of the nineteen eighties...it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon...

While competitors come and go, Atari seems to remain the king of the heap and with it's lavish spending on famous franchise titles that they soon hope to be turning into cartridges for their console, it's no surprise why! Indeed the days of pong machines are all but forgotten, it's a new age, with new technology and plenty of newcomers looking to rise to the ranks that Atari has reached. Competitors such as Collecovision and Intellivision seem to be banding together in some sort of alliance to try and take Atari down with a one two punch and Activision, a newly formed company was created from a group of developers that split from Atari due to creative differences, hostility seems to be surrounding the company at all sides in the US and meanwhile in Japan? A trading card company called Nintendo seems to be changing it's prime money making mantra into video games.

This recent rise in competition, along with the huge abundance of games you can find for the Atari 2600 has financial investors and marketers worried that the market will soon find itself over saturated and have warned us all that chaos could soon ensue if companies like Atari get over confident. We here at Video Game Verse News however would like to assure you all that everything is going to be just fine...

Company Spotlight Atari

tumblr_ng4sirjaLC1qcwgxao1_1280.png

Founded: 1972

Size: National

Owner: Raymond Kassar

Booker: Manny Gerard

Possible Characters To use as Booker/Owner: Howard Scott Warshaw (He did not arrive to Atari until 1981), Nolan Bushnell (Former Founder)

In 1971 Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney formed an engineering company by the name of Syzygy, it was this company that brought the world the very first arcade video game ever built. A year later the company would be renamed and rebranded to Atari and gaming history would be made. From the Pong Craze to the Atari 2600, it seemed everything this company touched turned to gold and it soon found itself becoming the fastest rising company in the history of America. In 1976 Atari was sold to Warner Communications who are the current owners of the company to date, with big plans ahead for the company it seems the only way for Atari to go right now is further up. How high will this company continue to soar as rumours of Big movie licences are being foretold for the companies future. It's not all been good fortune for the top dog of America however, while the Atari 2600 is still the most popular piece of equipment out on the market today, there has yet to be a successor to the console and attempts to create a successor have ended up in failure, on top of this a small group of developers are starting to get rowdy within the company and rumours of some sort of split occurring are floating through the air. Competition in the form of the Intellivision is starting to soar in sales and word of another console being in development is causing a stir in the video game market about whether or not Atari can handle a one two punch. With Atari themselves not being able to surpass their own creation of the 2600, there is very little concern that the competition is going to be able to do the job either. Regardless what threats seem to be looming in the future, good fortunes still shower over the company. Which leaves one very important question to be addressed to America...Have YOU played Atari today?

There will be PC companies as well xD. I thought I'd start my company spotlights with Atari as they were ruling the world of video games up until 1983, it's that point in time just before the computer revolution really hit big.

• 2 weeks later...

So as a creative decision I decided to change the start date of the game to 1982, still a year away from the big event of 1983, the reason I did this was because a lot of video games with iconic characters were not ported to the Atari until this time and whilst I could have just put them on there, I want to try and add some historical realism to this weird database of mine xD. I don't know if you'd rather I just start it at 1980 but keep the characters I can do that too.

Initial Atari Roster

NOTE: More Workers will obviously become available as the years go on and most characters will be on Pay Per Appearance Contracts, due to multiple video games being sold across different platforms, as always this can be edited in the database when released. For some characters I have listed what game they were in within brackets as some iconic Atari games never actually gave the characters names, they instead allowed the player to live vicariously through them.

The Avatar (Adventure)

Blinky

Centipede

Chef (Burger Time)

Clyde

Defender

Donkey Kong

Evil Otto (Berzerk)

Frogger

Green Goblin (Spider-Man Video Game)

Inky

Indiana Jones (Raiders of The Lost Ark)

Lex Luthor (Superman 1979)

Luke Skywalker (Empire Strikes Back)

Mario (Alter Ego of Jumpman when working for Atari)

Outlaw (Game of the same name)

Paddle #1

Paddle #2

Pac-Man

Pauleen (Donkey Kong)

Pele (Pele's Soccer)

Pinky

Pitfall Harry (Pitfall!)

Space Invader

Superman (That god awful 1979 game xD)

Spider-Man (1982 Video Game)

Tank#1

Tank#2

Tarra (Swordquest)

The Quotile (Yar's Revenge)

The Pheonix (Pheonix)

Tor (Swordquest)

Tron (The Adventures of Tron)

Tyrannus (Swordquest)

Warlord (Game of the same name)

Winky (Venture)

Xenomorph (Alien 1982)

Yar

Zachary Graves (Haunted House)

Tag Teams

COMBAT! (Tank 1 and 2)

Pong (Paddle 1 and 2)

Stables

The Ghosts (Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde)

If you can suggest names more exciting than Tank and Paddle for the teams of Combat and Pong I would love to hear them ^^

Also if there's any characters you'd like to see me add to the inital roster and any other teams you'd like for me to form, it would also be appreciated and taken into account.

Archived