best free (and easy to use) programs for...

Cutting pictures and sticking them on a back ground

And

Making logos

I realise that they might need separate apps.

Ease of use is handy as I don't want to spend forever reading tutorials! And something that does cuts quickly would be good! I'm working on a pc, although could use my ipad I suppose. What do you recommend?

GIMP is the program to put cuts onto the background, however I too am curious on if there's a specific program for cutting. Any logos that I make I design in Sony Vegas Pro as well.

Is that a freebie program? If so is it intuitive? I don't have a wealth of time, so need something that it's really easy to use - i'm talking "MS paint" levels of simplicity! haha. Not even used photoshop much (I've always found it to be a bit complicated)

GIMP is totally free and can do many of the things that Photoshop can, especially in the latest versions. I'm a professional designer and photo editor by trade and I use Photoshop, but GIMP has gotten me what I needed when I found myself on a machine without the CS apps.

There are tons of tutorials for GIMP on YouTube, here are a few TEW specific ones I made a while back:

Guest Asaemon
Cutting pictures and sticking them on a back ground

And

Making logos

I realise that they might need separate apps.

Ease of use is handy as I don't want to spend forever reading tutorials! And something that does cuts quickly would be good! I'm working on a pc, although could use my ipad I suppose. What do you recommend?

I suggest that you download Paint.net. It's free, extremely quick and very user friendly. If you want to run Photoshop effects you can download the free PSFilter. It works both with free Photoshop effects and a lot of the ones that cost money.

Personally i removed Gimp since i didn't like it and i use Paint.net instead to make cuts, alts, title belts, logos, props...

Archived