What issues is there left in version 1.04?

I would have to add: - Game stability issues...the RTE #53 "File already open bug" is killing me. I know it's supposed to be fixed in 1.1, btu it's still killing me currently. Also the "buttons not working bug" is still present in 1.04 even though it was supposed to be addressed. - Agree with the polls. I can't even look at them until the season is over as they just frustrate me. - IMO transfers need looked at again. Too many players leave big schools for no apparent reason..i.e. redshirted and will be starting this season because senior graduated, but they leave anyway. VERY frustrating. I like the idea of transfers, but there are too many right now. - I would argue that there is too much parity currently as undefeated teams are very few and far between and the norm seems to be 2 losses for elite teams. I like upsets, but there are too many IMO currently. I'm tired of losing to a team where I am a 15-25 point favorite practically every year. I realize that this is a big topic and purely subjective though. - Point spreads seem extremely weird in some games..i.e #20 team 10 pt favorite over #2 team, etc. - The overall evaluation at the end of the season seems out of wack or is causing confusion by how it is interpreted. Some clarity on this issue may be all that is needed. - Too high coordinator turnover. Every year or two to replace your enitre coordinator staff is too often. This occurs even when you don't sign them for less than they are asking. Fixed year contracts would go a long way into solving this.. I realize some of these are already targeted for 1.1 and some will be addressed, some won't..such is life. Overall I think it is a solid game and am enjoying it.

Good list of topics, jonesz. Overall I agree with them except for a couple things: * I don't have the game stability issues. * I don't completely agree with you on the parity issues as I usually have undefeated teams playing for the championship, or an undefeated and a 1-loss team. Similar to real life. Guess I'd have to look more closely at the final standings and compare them to the # of losses in the real standings. For example, Ohio St was "elite" this year IRL and had 2 losses. Georgia was a top team yet had 3 (I think?) losses. The others I feel similarly about.

Thanks for the response Arlie! Just to add to the parity issue I brought up. I don't disagree that top teams could have multiple losses IRL, but it's who they are losing to. In my current career (1st year), Michigan lost to Temple at home, Miami lost to North Texas (on the road???) and my Ohio State team went through the Big Ten schedule undefeated but managed to lose to Central Michigan at home in week 2 and Florida Atlantic in Week 13 at home. No major injuries in either that would account for the losses. Basically my point is that this just makes me "not trust" the results I get from the game at times. It seems like, to often, the games are just a crap shoot. I agree that upsets are part of college football, but not as many as I seem to notice. Again, this is not meant to be a slam on the game as I think it's really good for a 1st generation, but my perception is that the results are a little too "random" at times.

This is a good point, jonesz. Because of the wide disparity in talent (ie, an awful Akron team can play a stacked USC or Texas team), you need the engine to allow a team like Akron to get a few first downs, score a few points and be aleast able to prevent a 80-0 romp. On the same token, the engine needs to be robust enough to really use the play calling, performance on the field and other factors (coaching, injuries,...) to not have "random" winners in close games. I think the engine is close in this regard, but work is still needed in that lower teams with a good offensive player (ie, QB or RB) can be a little more competitive than they probably should be. This is something I will look at as I go through the gamelogs for some of these PBP issues people have reported.

As a follow up, I am working on a way to import outside save games as "roster sets" to allow a new league to start with that existing roster as the initial players. I have it designed and should be able to fit it in to update 1.1. This will allow the people that put in the time to make the rosters with an editor a way to import that roster as a base for future careers. Now, there will be some rules in that the existing pstats.dat the league is created off will need to match the save from a conference, team and team # standpoint. But, I don't think too many people have been changing the IDs on each team so this shouldn't be a big issue. Just something to keep in mind when editing or modding. Finally, I have been simming weeks and going through individual gamelogs looking for issues and found many that have been reported (plus some that haven't been). A lot of it is display based, but there are some things that need to be cleaned up. This isn't a fun or quick process, but it needs to be done and it's one of the reasons this update is taking a little longer. So, I'm trying to throw in some additional fixes and features (like the save import) since I have the time while working on this. Again, I appreciate the patience and I will continue to provide updates in this thread as I go along. I really want to try and get as many issues resolved as possible, so keep with the great PMs and ideas in the emails you guys have sent as well. I found an issue with the overall grade in certain instances for top programs thanks to a user email this weekend. So, I am reading them and they do help.

Arlie, I'm curious whether or not a more comprehensive history section will be in the game? I was hoping that team records for single game and season would be added, as well as more individual records for career and season, as well as game. Another nice option would be the ability to look up past conference standings, as well as maybe schedules and polls. Please just answer me back, and let me know if any of those things will be added. Thanks for your time.

Archived